6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Explain how you think Nissans/Infiniti CAR lineup SHOULD be like....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:29 PM

Explain how you think Nissans/Infiniti CAR lineup SHOULD be like....

Another break from negativity.....

Many ppl got ideas and input on how Nissan's lineup SHOULD be done.

this thread is mainly about their cars. though if you feel strongly bout something with the truck line up feel free. This also includes Inifiniti cars...

ok, lemme start.

Sentra:
Things do need to change with the Sentra. But finally, they will soon bring out the new sentra for 06/07. Said to be the first nissan car to be based on a renault. Based on the Renault Megane (google it), it might also have a new 4 cylinder engine. Also rumored to come in a hatchback. So i got no beef with the sentra. I'll just wait and see.

Altima:
With a racing version (SE-R) right around the corner and a hybrid version (Nissan 4cyl+Toyota Hybrid motor, which nissan aims to have near V6 power) in the making, it seems that nissan has worked every aspect with the Altima. And once the hybrid is out, i feel it sould marinate in the market for a year or 2 til the nex-gen Alti comes out.

Maxima:
This is where i think changes should be done. while the current car is AMAZING. it seems nissan isnt doing much to differentiate the MAX from the ALTI. I think the perfect solution would be to switch to RWD format with an AWD option. the Nissan lineup needs a RWD/AWD Sedan.

Z/Fairlady:
I think they are doing great with the car currently. and the 35th Anniversary edition is s'posed to be better. I love this car. with the GTR on the way, i think they should avoid AWD. I know it sounds wierd, but from a business standpoint, making it AWD would have it compete against the GTR. Of course it needs a few tweaks here and there, but it seems fine now. ohh more NISMO support.

Infiniti I-series:
isnt this dead?... i dont mean this in a offensive way. but doesnt the G replace it as the entry Infiniti?

Infiniti G-series:
Seems fine. tho i think they shouldnt bring out the wagon version. i dont want the G name to get milked. a coupe and sedan are fine, nothing more.

Infiniti M-series:
Cant wait to see this beauty at the Washington Auto Show. My main reason for going. Infiniti is doing everything good with this masterpiece. The current gen has many mixed review. Usually stating that the V8 is too good for the car. The 2006 M45 (4.5 liter version of the the VKseries V8) and the M35 (VQ36) are amazing, of you havent checked it out yet go to infiniti.com now.

Infiniti Q-series:
While the Q45 is a great car, many think its time for the new one with the new infiniti image. the Q is infiniti's flagship sedan. Many say that the nex one is the Q56, with the VK56 powerplant from the Titan. Could this be the big contender for the Euros?

Inifiniti GTR??:
Its almost certain that the nex gen GTR is gonna be under the Infinti name, to avoid having 2 sports cars under one name (nissan). Info is flying left and right bout this car. Nissan is calling it the Global Sports Car. with lotus working on the suspension, new research facility at nurburgring, a twin-turbo VQ36 with at least 400hp (nissan promises, tho many are saying it will be 450), nex gen Atessa AWD, and the infiniti label, THIS WILL BE A CAR NOT TO BE MESSED WITH. AT first i was upset that they decided to get seperate the Skyline and GTR names and move the GTR to Infiniti. But when you look at the info, this is reaching supercar status, so the price will be high. So you might as well get the Infiniti treatment. Nissan is not joking around with this car, their target benchmark is the Porsche 911. Nissan CEO, Carlos Ghosn stated at the 04 Detriot Auto Show that the GTR WILL be out in 2007 (there also a rumor bout it coming out globally around the same time)
Old 10-02-2004, 03:35 PM

after rereading my post it seems i put more info i know than my own input. ohh well, i hope the info give you guys some ideas.

Ohh and the reason why i didnt put this thread in the General Discussion section is to avoid whining from some 4th and 5th gen folks. I love the older MAXes, i still stare at many. but i think this MAX is great too.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:11 PM
SuPeRmOd

Nice post.

first off NISMO for MAXIMA!!!!! Pretty Please?!?!? Didn't Nissan post NISMO for Max 2004?

basically more attention to little things/details in the Max as seen needed on this forum. Hopefully already done in 05.
Am I mistaken that the next Max ('06) with be 25th Anniversary??????
I'm scared of what We'll be missing if Nissan goes all out, as they should.
The RWD just won't happen. That's what the G is for.

Supposedly (current thread somewhere) the Z needs better cushioning. Hearing RX-8? is nicer and a lot more comfortable.

Sentra? doing fine, plenty to mod with.

Altima? Doing well enough. Already see them everywhere and still trying to be our twin. Someone please keep our lil bro' in check?

Overall Nissan? Revamp their quality control on Dealer service. I think that most complaints are how dealers "deal" (or don't) with problems that come up (many understand issues happen, but get peeved with the hassle and run-around). The whole "Excellent of fail" just doesn't work.

Nissan should just have a dedicated department to read and review MAXIMA.ORG, then Nissan will be Untouchable.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:19 AM

Yes, the Infiniti I35, based on the 5th gen Maxima, is dead, as of last month. There will still be a few left on dealer lots for awhile. It was a most excellent car, but competed with the G35 more than with competitors cars.

The Maxima probably needs more than other Nissan models at this time. It may be the only Nissan product with virtually nothing from NISMO. That puzzles me greatly. Many folks would shell out good bucks for performance parts, add-on accessories and trim pieces.

The '06 Maxima will have the mandatory 'third year revamp'. The car will essentially be unchanged, but front and rear facia details (maybe even the toothed grille) will have minor styling changes.

The hinted-at standardization of Traction Control in the '05 did not materialize. It is still an 'at cost' option. I feel strongly that the '06 Maxima MUST have both Traction Control AND Vehicle Dynamic Control (stability) standard, as ALL their major competitors already do.

I also feel the '06 Maxima should have other features which are standard on some competitors. For instance, when the car is put into reverse, the outside mirrors should turn down enough to see the rear wheels, in order to enable the driver to avoid curbing the tires. My son loves that feature on his TL Type 'S'.

The '06 Maxima will probably get a power boost. Even a nudge from 265 to 275 hp takes it around the TL's 270. Taking it on up to 285 or 290 might be better, as the TL will be going up also. Other than that, I don't see any change in the power train for '06.

The '06 Maxima will have full-time tire pressure monitoring as standard. I would hope Nissan opts for a true psi reading on each tire, but I would bet all the manufacturers go with the cheapo 'rotation rate' system that simply tells the driver one tire has measurably different pressure than the others.

The '06 Maxima absolutely MUST be shimmy-free, and with decent rotors and struts. The auto tranny must perform OK in cold weather, and the manual must have no grinding. This car could be really wonderful without those problems.

The '08 will be the seventh generation; a complete redesign with all-new styling. The primary mechanical change on the '08 MUST be all-wheel drive. I don't see a rear wheel drive Maxima; Infiniti covers that field just fine. It would not surprise me to see a six speed auto in the '08. It may be that the back-looking camera (already on some Infinitis) would be included in the driver's preferred package for '08.

I could list lots of goodies I would like on my Maxima. But then Nissan would charge me lots of money for these goodies.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:37 AM

nice input lightonthehill, keep em coming ppl. i know you do have alot to say bout this stuff
Old 10-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Going Ginsu

Here goes

I'd like to see an SE-R option filled with Stillen goodies: better ECM, cam, pulley, intake, springs, shocks, struts, strut brace, sway bar, bigger rotors and better brakes (painted to match the body) and the coup de' grace a supercharger.

It should have mirrors that drop down (like the Acuras) when you back up so you can see the curb.

A nav system that isn't 2+ years out of date when you get it.

Dual LCDs: One for naviation (it'll be the flip up), and one for information

Get rid of the orange/yellow/black and go with ambient blue.

Tire presser monitor.

And get rid of the Bose system - go with Infinity.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Going Ginsu

If you don't like the SE-R tag, fine, call it SE-S - for Stillen.

Why a race version of the Maxima? Why not? Offer a "normal" model and high performance model. It's a fairly common thing to do.

It makes perfect sense. What's Nismo offering? An oil filler cap? A radiator cap? Maybe a shift **** or license plate? Ohh. :
Old 10-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
....it's obvious that you took a general comment to heart. What I meant was why go to another manufacturer such as Stillen to have a 'race model' vehicle from Nissan when they have Nismo? Sure I understand that at the present moment NISMO doesn't have nothing for the 6th generation Maxima as far as performance parts are concerned. All I'm trying to say is keep it 'in house' rather than going to another manufacturer to help you complete a special 'race edition' of a vehicle. Doesn't benefit Nissan business wise to contract another manufacturer for projects like this.

i agree. Nismo rules all
Old 10-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
....it's obvious that you took a general comment to heart. What I meant was why go to another manufacturer such as Stillen to have a 'race model' vehicle from Nissan when they have Nismo? Sure I understand that at the present moment NISMO doesn't have nothing for the 6th generation Maxima as far as performance parts are concerned. All I'm trying to say is keep it 'in house' rather than going to another manufacturer to help you complete a special 'race edition' of a vehicle. Doesn't benefit Nissan business wise to contract another manufacturer for projects like this.

Yup, it'd be better to keep everything in house, but with Team Nismo asleep at the switch us Maxima owners won't be getting anything anytime soon.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Ok, my wish is pretty miniscule ; however, along with all the good ideas already stated in this thread, I'd like to rid the max of the integrated fog lights. I much prefer the look of two seperate fogs at the bottom of the front bumper (not a fan of any after market kits).

Nissan should integrate the truning lights into the main headlight assembly and slot in two fog lights in the front.

Perhaps we should dispatch a letter to Carlos stating our wish list before he heads back to Renault . After all, the Altima interior redesign was brought about due to customer outcry.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:44 AM

I totally agree with all the proposed additions that should be made to the Maxima, and I too would think that it would be really awesome if Nissan released a racing version of the Maxima, every other nissan car has an racing version, especially with the release of the Altima SE-R. Nissan seems to be forgetting about the Maxima during their whole revamping phase. I think they should have a similar racing version of the Maxima, not necessarily an SE-R, but something similar. I also think AWD will be a great thing for Nissan to add on to the Maxima, but I really want to see how they will redesign the Maxima for the next generation.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:52 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by SoloSL203
Maxima:
I think the perfect solution would be to switch to RWD format with an AWD option. the Nissan lineup needs a RWD/AWD Sedan.
Switch? Sounds easy enough.

Who would you like the RWD/AWD Max to compete with?
I can visualize the AWD, considering the Murano platform but I cannot get over how many people think the Max should be RWD.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

all that needs to be done is change the Maxima back to the 4DSC style and they'll sell like hotcakes. RWD and a V8 wouldnt be too bad of an idea either, but that'll never happen. 350Z and G35 are freakin sweet, the Sentra is and always will be an econo-box and the Altima is lookin pretty nice. How bout Infinity's bigass suv, what is the fx something? that thing is humongous
Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM

I think that the RWD division of Nissan is covered under the Infiniti badge, though I think RWD on the Maxima would be awesome, I think it is more reasonable for them to transplant the Murane AWD into the Maxima, which would make it very hot IMO. I definetly think the Maxima should go head to head with TL, maybe the subaru Legacy, cause I think it has 250hp and AWD, though I may be mistaken, so I think the Maxima with AWD would definetly take it down.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 AM

The reason I bought the Maxima was that it has FWD. Weather changes on long drives and in rain and inclimate areas, its a nice comfort. Yes, AWD (as feature controlled) would be welcome yet would it compete with the Infiniti? Not if its $5k less.(More room in the Maxima than InFiniti G35 sedan).

Improve the CHEAP interiors (hey, just make them stop squeaking is enough).

Move the mirror controls to the door window controls. What the heck was Nissan thinking? We have left arms that are 12" longer? And eyes on them?
(auto tilt down for reverse...there's a good idea! Hell, put the FX35/45 backup camera signal into the front display).

Navigation..standard on ALL vehicles.

iPod or other input source feature into sound system.

Vent in the sunroof visor...so when its hot out, one can tilt open the roof and exhaust hot air without opening the shade (should be automatic).

12V power plug in the trunk.

Improve the rear cargo nets (oh, you did for 05?..nuts....)

Signal in the mirror (or fender) like Euro cars.

280-300 HP. (well...its a wish..)

Quieter interior (wheel, tire, road noise).

Faster wiper speed (or rain sensitive). Not speed sensitive...let ME control the wipers.

LEDs? (tail, marker)
(variable color dash LED lighting like the 05 Stang)

Old 10-04-2004, 11:59 AM

I totally agree with you on all those things maximage especailly with the hp numbers, though I am not sure how realistic they are, I would love to see those numbers in the near future.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 AM

i agree.... well, i understand. but it would be nice to have some in-house support.

but yes, i understood the new direction of the MAX since the 6th gen was first shown off.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:15 AM

A new Sentra would be nice, with a lineup like: 1.8S (base), 2.5SL (mid-model), SE (sports) and a limited production top model with an AWD-turbo setup (GTR? model).

I'd also like to see a subcompact coupe (250SX?) in Nissan's lineup. As of now, the only two-door car in their lineup is the Z; and that has no back seat. A new Sentra based coupe (i.e.: Civic coupe) would be nice. But seeing as this is a shrinking class (i.e.: AFAIK, Civic and Accent are the only import econo-subcompact coupes now), it'll probably never happen.

$.02
Old 10-07-2004, 08:31 AM

The only things I would change are:

Do not give the Altima a V6 option, especially not the same VQ as its older brother ( maxima) has. So only 4 cyl altimas. I think that would give it the seperation it needs so that the altima and Maxima don't canabalize each others sales.

The What I would change on the infiniti side is keep the I35
Lose the G35 Sedan
Add AWD option to the G35 coupe,
and up the coupes HP to 350

So my rational is Make the Altima a $20k car maximum. So people who don't want to spend alot, but still want alot of room can get into it.

Maxima stays the same, but lose the cloth option, and make it only leather, with options being Nav, Elite package only. So it would be a $27-32K car.

The I35 is a more sophisticated car than the G35. THe G35 is kind of kiddish, so dump the G35 sedan, and keep the I35

Lose the G35 sedan, but keep the coupe, (I mean c'mon, have you SEEN the coupe?!!) THis is for people who want a 350 Z with soem more seats, and a little more upscale.

Add an AWD option to the G35 coupe. (because we deserve our own american "Skyline" and up the HP to 350.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mazda has Mazdaspeed, BMW has M, Mercedes has AMG. What does Nissan have?

According to this month's issue of Car and Driver, new for Nissan in 05: Some Armada-Pathfinder naming changes and "Altima adds an SE-R model with special trim, a 3.5 Liter V6 with a higher level of tuning than the standard 250 hp engine, and the option of a six speed manumatic. Nissan freshens up its truck and SUV line with the Pathfinder and new versions of the Frontier pickup and Xterra, which use a version of the Titan/Armada platform and offer a new 4.0 liter V6. Unchanged: Maxima, Sentra, Armada, Murano, Quest, 350 Z, Titan."

I would like the max to be rwd and have stiffer suspension for the SE. Just my $.02.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by sweetlou

Well, heres the thing, Nissan's engines tend to be on the overpowered side to begin with. SO I don't think they really need a "performance label" I mean, I'm sure most people ehre would agree that the maxima has a little more power than it needs. I mean, I shouldn't be keeping up with WRX's, but I do. I think the maxima should have 220 HP, and even thats on the high side, but given the weight gain over the 95-99s, I would put HP in that range, definitely not 265 on the 6th gen, or even the 255 on my 5.5 gen (Although I'm not complaining
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 AM

I think that I would like to see the Altima and the Altima SE-R stay at thier current hp for a while, and have the Maxima gain more hp and become AWD, and a redesign of the body would not hurt either, even though I totally think the new style is hot, I would like to see how they would change it. I think that this would help move the Maxima away from the Altima, which is where it should be.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
The only things I would change are:

Do not give the Altima a V6 option, especially not the same VQ as its older brother ( maxima) has. So only 4 cyl altimas. I think that would give it the seperation it needs so that the altima and Maxima don't canabalize each others sales.
So the 4-cyl Altima should compete against the V6 Accord, Camry, Mazda6?

The I35 is a more sophisticated car than the G35. THe G35 is kind of kiddish, so dump the G35 sedan, and keep the I35

Lose the G35 sedan, but keep the coupe, (I mean c'mon, have you SEEN the coupe?!!) THis is for people who want a 350 Z with soem more seats, and a little more upscale.
Yes, old cars tend to be classy, but not sophisticated - the basic platform dates back to 1995. And pitting it against the TL isn't the best idea.
The G35 rolls with the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, IS300, TL, etc. and basically smokes them all, esp. when you factor in value.

G35coupe rear seats - are you kidding?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:18 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by sweetlou
And Audi has its S-line. Nissan and Mazda do not belong in the same sentence with those fine automobiles.
What do Infinti, Acura/Honda, Toyota/Lexus offer?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
So the 4-cyl Altima should compete against the V6 Accord, Camry, Mazda6?
Yes. the 4 cyl has enough pep to move with the V6 accord V6 camry and the 6.

Yes, old cars tend to be classy, but not sophisticated - the basic platform dates back to 1995. And pitting it against the TL isn't the best idea.
There are some older folks out there who don't like the sharp lines the new TL has.

The G35 rolls with the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, IS300, TL, etc. and basically smokes them all, esp. when you factor in value.
But the G35 sedan is just so damn ugly!

G35coupe rear seats - are you kidding?
Well, there are technically 4 seats in that car. Good for a baby or so.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 AM

That may be a good idea but I dont think that Nissan will stop offering the V6 versions of the Altima especially with the release of the SE-R version. However, I do think that it would be a good idea for Nissan to stagger the Altima, by not upgrading the engine for a while, and in the meanwhile they should focus on the Maxima, by upgrading the engine, AWD, redesigning the body. This would help move the Maxima away from the Altima.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
is invisible

Yes. the 4 cyl has enough pep to move with the V6 accord V6 camry and the 6.
Ok, the Camry/Accord 4-cyl have enough pep to move with the Altima 4-cyl.

There are some older folks out there who don't like the sharp lines the new TL has.
Minority of prospective owners vs. the majority, who do you the company is more interested in? Besides, there's always Buick.

But the G35 sedan is just so damn ugly!
Agreed, it could be more attractive.

Well, there are technically 4 seats in that car. Good for a baby or so.
I would expect the typical G35 owner to be affluent enough to own 2 cars - with at least 4 actual seats.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

ACtually I don't think a low/mid $30,000 car to be expensive enough to assume a family that can buy one, can also afford another with 4 seats unless it is an older car.

Get up into the mid $40k range and then you are talking.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:04 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
ACtually I don't think a low/mid $30,000 car to be expensive enough to assume a family that can buy one, can also afford another with 4 seats unless it is an older car.

Get up into the mid $40k range and then you are talking.
For a family, I would hope for 2 cars in the household. Would you use a G35c to take your kid everywhere?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

That wasn't really my point. They aren't expensive enough to assume if they can afford a G35, they can afford another similar/priced 4-door.

If they bought a new M3 coupe, then one pretty safely assume, that family could afford a newer 4-door

For a family, I would hope for 2 cars in the household. Would you use a G35c to take your kid everywhere?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:23 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That wasn't really my point. They aren't expensive enough to assume if they can afford a G35, they can afford another similar/priced 4-door.

If they bought a new M3 coupe, then one pretty safely assume, that family could afford a newer 4-door

Old 10-07-2004, 03:33 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

here's my 2 cents ..

Sentra: maybe add a higher-output 2.5L or turbo the SE-R

Altima: maybe give the 2.5L a five speed auto

Maxima: ditch the fugly 80s style non-nav display, keep the color nav display throughout, maybe introduce an AWD or a RWD version, bring back the white faced gauges on SE, restyle similar to 3rd & 4th gens

350Z: bring back the twin-turbo

G35 Coupe: Add a convertible model

All other models: ditch the yellow/orange interior lights in favor of white or sky-blue lighting

I agree w/ adding even more power to the Max's VQ, but more power to a FWD car = more torque steer
Old 10-07-2004, 06:49 PM

i agree with the interior lighting. the lighting on the dash of the TL is so nice. something like a blue w/ touches of red. get rid of the orange.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
here's my 2 cents ..

Sentra: maybe add a higher-output 2.5L or turbo the SE-R

Altima: maybe give the 2.5L a five speed auto

Maxima: ditch the fugly 80s style non-nav display, keep the color nav display throughout, maybe introduce an AWD or a RWD version, bring back the white faced gauges on SE, restyle similar to 3rd & 4th gens

350Z: bring back the twin-turbo

G35 Coupe: Add a convertible model

All other models: ditch the yellow/orange interior lights in favor of white or sky-blue lighting

I agree w/ adding even more power to the Max's VQ, but more power to a FWD car = more torque steer

Very sensible, applicable suggestions (except the RWD of course )

The 4-cyl Altima's comptetion all have 5-speed autos, Nissan is behind on this one.