6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sirius Satellite Radio Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:58 PM

I was thinking about this today, and I think the correct term Nissan uses is N-bus for the wiring harness plug. The guys at Circuit City said they'd heard of this on Honda's, might be a place to start. Good Luck
Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

08 Maxima Have XM want Sirius?

I would like to change my factory XM to Sirius. I have asked a couple dealers and none have done this although they do stock some parts(sirius transmitter,antenna and bracket)
Does anyone know what I need and if I can use the factory installed antenna(I dont want another antenna unless it looks the same) and how difficult this is to switch. also is this in the trunk?
any help would be appreciated
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM

I'm also lokoing at this a have the Sirus portable unit now and its stinks sound is horriable. I looked on everthingnissan.com and they have the units for sale. Just looking for a dealer that wont charge 400$ to install it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys just an update. IF you have XM and want Sirius Just replace the tuner box and it works fine. I did it and have had no problem. I got the tuner at a junk yard and just pluged it in. IF you have the antenna already installed for XM you dont need anything to convert it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Also an update on those that wish to install satellite radio to the OEM (non-Bose) stereo.

I have a 2005 Maxima that is pre-wired for the satellite radio. I called Grubbs yesterday (1/14/2009) after noticing that the price of the tuner went down to $199. They told me when I was on the phone with them that the tuner has changed since the merger of the two satellite companies. You still need to specify if you want Sirius or XM, but the single plug antennas now work with no adapter and the unit mounts in the trunk via double sided tape instead of the bracket that you used to have to buy.

I should be receiving the tuner within the next couple of days and will keep you updated on the install.

Adam

Last edited by amp9211; 01-15-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
SuPeRmOd

I did not have to change anything when they merged. I had to use a splitter. would be nice if you do not need one, but not sure how.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 PM

I recieved the tuner yesterday and it only has one plug in. I think that they changed the tuners after the merger (according to the guy that I spoke with at Grubbs). I am working on getting it in right now, so we will see how it goes.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Talk about easy. All I had to do was pull out the carpet, find the plug, plug it into the box, hook up the antenna (single input, no need for a splitter), test it out and put everything back together.

Of course, for the time being, I just put the antenna on the back deck instead of the roof of the car. If that needs to be changed due to not getting a good signal, then I will do so later. I would say total time for tearing everything apart and putting it all back together should take you no more than about 45 minutes. Of course, if you do it properly and put the antenna on the roof, then that will take a bit more time.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

i custom fit mine on the 3rd brake light. i tested it and i lost signal just as much on my roof. even works when covered with snow.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I just kind of temporarily stuck mine on the third brake light to see how it would do for loosing signal. I know that it would skip in and out around town, but I don't drive the car that much (it's the wife's car). I would much prefer to leave it where it is rather than mount it on the outside.

How did you mount it?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM

After not getting very good signal just around town, I went ahead and decided to go ahead and mount up the antenna to the roof. The biggest pain for me to do this was getting the antenna wire under the rubber weather stripping at the top of the rear window. After that, simply popping off that rear trim piece and running it into the trunk is pretty straight forward. I would say total time took a little less than 45 minutes to get the antenna re-routed.

The signal is so much better now, it hasn't cut out at all. When it was just sitting on the back deck, it was cutting out all of the time.

Hopefully this update helps out anyone else that is looking to do this for this generation of Max.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Everything I've seen on these forums, Grubbs Performance, everywhere else mention 6th gen Maximas up to 2007, but no one includes the 2008 model. I've seen some other people say that the 07 and 08 Maximas are basically the same car; could I buy the 04-07 sat radio hardware and successfully use it on an 08, or is the hardware different somehow?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by HoustonMaxima
Everything I've seen on these forums, Grubbs Performance, everywhere else mention 6th gen Maximas up to 2007, but no one includes the 2008 model. I've seen some other people say that the 07 and 08 Maximas are basically the same car; could I buy the 04-07 sat radio hardware and successfully use it on an 08, or is the hardware different somehow?
Which radio package do you have for your 08? i have an 08 stock and really looked into sat radio but didnt find too many answers. I think the stock non bose radios are not pre-wired for sat. i even have a radio wiring diagram another member sent me that shows its not prewired.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by novabortion
Which radio package do you have for your 08? i have an 08 stock and really looked into sat radio but didnt find too many answers. I think the stock non bose radios are not pre-wired for sat. i even have a radio wiring diagram another member sent me that shows its not prewired.
I don't have one yet, but was looking at getting the Grubbs Performance XM kit. Is there any way to tell if it's pre-wired? I haven't seen a single head unit at the dealerships with a "SAT" button so I'm wondering if noone got sat radio and I'm basically screwed either way.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM

ive sent you a pm and forgot to mention that i believe only the bose radios are prewired for sat.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by novabortion
ive sent you a pm and forgot to mention that i believe only the bose radios are prewired for sat.
Thanks man, appreciate the help!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by amp9211
Also an update on those that wish to install satellite radio to the OEM (non-Bose) stereo.

I have a 2005 Maxima that is pre-wired for the satellite radio. I called Grubbs yesterday (1/14/2009) after noticing that the price of the tuner went down to $199. They told me when I was on the phone with them that the tuner has changed since the merger of the two satellite companies. You still need to specify if you want Sirius or XM, but the single plug antennas now work with no adapter and the unit mounts in the trunk via double sided tape instead of the bracket that you used to have to buy.

I should be receiving the tuner within the next couple of days and will keep you updated on the install.

Adam

I have the 2006 SE non bose and do Not have a SAT or AUX button.
I don't have a 6 cd changer either as some folks mention. Can anyone confirm wether or not this will work for me?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:31 AM

If you do not have a sat button, then it is probably not going to work because you do not have any way to switch to the sat channel.

If I were you, I would give Grubbs Performance a call and see what they have to say. The guy that I spoke with was really helpful. Their number is 866-789-0208.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by maLniveK
Did anyone got ur Max to hookup to Sirius Sat? I want to hookup and my Max is Sat ready. Do I need to hard wire or get any new hardware for that?
PM'd you. Let me know.
Thanks,
Kam
Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

complete idiots

got my sat kit for my 05 max took to my local dealer for install. got a call from the service manager saying that the unit was missing the l brackets. He said they could maybe make something to hold it up. So after a few mins they callled again saying i gad the wrong reciever. So i called grubbs they told me they have this problem from people that go to a nissan dealer they have no clue as to what they are doing!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxxintone
got my sat kit for my 05 max took to my local dealer for install. got a call from the service manager saying that the unit was missing the l brackets. He said they could maybe make something to hold it up. So after a few mins they callled again saying i gad the wrong reciever. So i called grubbs they told me they have this problem from people that go to a nissan dealer they have no clue as to what they are doing!!!
Is there a question in there? Why in the world would you take it to the dealership when the package that you get from Grubbs includes really good instructions on how to install it. As long as the car is pre-wired for it, this is just a plug and play operation-very simple.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM

So check this out. I had the stock deck in my car , with the prewiring for the Satellite radio. and the CD eject mechanism, among other things, started giving me problems. I ended up have to swap the whole center dash out and replace it with an 06 dash with all controls. I noticed about a month ago that is didnt have the satellite button, so my question is the only way to get satellite radio is to hook up to a modulator with that horrible sound???
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
So check this out. I had the stock deck in my car , with the prewiring for the Satellite radio. and the CD eject mechanism, among other things, started giving me problems. I ended up have to swap the whole center dash out and replace it with an 06 dash with all controls. I noticed about a month ago that is didnt have the satellite button, so my question is the only way to get satellite radio is to hook up to a modulator with that horrible sound???
Its actually not horrible sound if you use a direct inline fm transmitter. It cost about 30 bucks at bestbuy and connects to the antenna jack in the nissan and stock antenna connects to that. Thats how im doing it in my max and sounds crystal clear. heres my set up.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Look at your inside driver door sill (if your sitting in the driver seat look down and left with the door open) If your max is wired it should have a sticker somewhere near the door latch.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Checkout... www.leeparts.com Put satellite radio in the search box..There are installation instructions for the 04-05..06-07 maximas..Sirius..
Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM

OEM antenna

Has anyone installed the OEM sat antenna. I see the magnetic ones but also see the factory color match ones on Maxima that were ordered from the factory with XM/Sirius. It probably requires drilling a hole into the roof but the install would be perfect and all wires would run inside the vehicle. This is what I'm referring too if anyone has question. 1. Antenna, 2. Cover.

Grubbs has all the colors listed. I like my installs to look stock and I really hate the look of the Nissan "OEM" antenna thats magnetic. I thought about using a micro antenna that I have for my Pioneer tuner in my wifes car but it would still look out of place.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:25 PM

I've got a Sirius receiver sitting in my house, if someone makes me an offer I will let it go, I originally asked 120, but I will drop the price to 90 with shipping check my sig for pics
Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
I've got a Sirius receiver sitting in my house, if someone makes me an offer I will let it go, I originally asked 120, but I will drop the price to 90 with shipping check my sig for pics
Is this a stereo (receiver) or a tuner for Sirius? Most people would only need a tuner if their car is pre-wired for Sat radio. Your post is just a little vague and it may be a good idea to clarify so that people know exactly what you have.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM

I was trying to do the same back in the day when i first got the car and it was going to cost me 500+
Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by amp9211
Is this a stereo (receiver) or a tuner for Sirius? Most people would only need a tuner if their car is pre-wired for Sat radio. Your post is just a little vague and it may be a good idea to clarify so that people know exactly what you have.
It's the plug and play receiver that you need if your car is pre-wired for sat radio, go up to my 1st reply and click the link in my sig, picture right their
Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
It's the plug and play receiver that you need if your car is pre-wired for sat radio, go up to my 1st reply and click the link in my sig, picture right their
Damn, where were you when I was ordering my tuner kit! GL with the sale, I'm surprised someone hasn't hopped on that deal yet.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by tlepre897
I was trying to do the same back in the day when i first got the car and it was going to cost me 500+
500+?? Was that with the dealer doing the install? I'll do the install myself. Can't imagine drilling a small hole in the roof too hard. Just have to pull the rear headliner down alittle I guess. I installed a Fuba antenna on my old Jetta years ago. Pretty simple. XM tuner is going for $185 online now at some sites and with antenna/cover its another $70.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Yea well the receiver that were all talking about was very expensive so thats why i said screw it and got a starmate
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM

all the receivers are for infinity are they the same?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by tlepre897
all the receivers are for infinity are they the same?

That is a pretty damn vague question. If you are asking about the car INFINITI, are you asking if the satellite tuners for the maximas will work for an Infiniti?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:49 AM

hi i have a question ,i have a 2005 maxima up in canada my car was originall from minneapolis and has the SAT button but when i press it says no SAT does that mean i dont have a reciever or just need to hook it up or ....?? please help PM me asap
Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by dapimp44
hi i have a question ,i have a 2005 maxima up in canada my car was originall from minneapolis and has the SAT button but when i press it says no SAT does that mean i dont have a reciever or just need to hook it up or ....?? please help PM me asap
It means you don't have a tuner mounted in the trunk or an antenna installed on the roof. See all of the above posts to see what you need to do to see if your car is pre-wired for sat radio and how to install it.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

STARR.

Im interested in your earlier posting about the turner

I have a 04 SE prewired for sat, is this what I need? and do you still have it? so the only thing missing would be the antenna?

Last edited by Nickolashead; 11-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nickolashead
STARR.

Im interested in your earlier posting about the turner

I have a 04 SE prewired for sat, is this what I need? and do you still have it? so the only thing missing would be the antenna?
yes I have the tuner and then all u would need is the antenna
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM

If anyone is interested in a satellite radio tuner and antenna, mine is now for sale. The wife got into a wreck last week and I took it off the car before the insurance company got a hold of it as the car is totaled. I believe the tuner and the antenna cost about $250-300 brand new after tax and shipping. The antenna does have some of the protective cover on the wiring striped away after installation and removal. However, there is plenty of wiring available if you wish to splice together. Tuner works great. Asking $150 plus S+H.

Keep in mind that this is the tuner for the stock radio. If your car is not pre-wired for satellite, then you will have to get the wiring to hook it up as well. If it is wired, the wiring is located in the trunk near the speaker deck.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Radio Hookup