6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Vibrating noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vibrating noise

I bought an '04 Maxima the end of August and have had it in the shop at least 4 times for a vibration noise coming from the back speakers / trunk area - The Svc Dept said it had something to do with the brackets around the back speakers. After @ the 4th time in, the dealership told me there was a TSB addressing this problem & they ordered whatever they needed to "fix" it. Supposedly fixed it last week - but I still have the same vibration noise - taking it back in tomorrow (visit #5) ! Any one else have this problem or any suggestions? It sounds like something metal in the trunk vibrating. This is my 2nd Maxima & loved my other one - but disappointed with this one.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you talking about the rear parcel shelf rattling? here's the tsb
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB03-066.htm
Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the link - I had tried to find the TSB - didn't have any luck. At any rate, that sounds like the "fix" they were telling me about - but it's still making the noise.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:42 PM

Ikessler - I have not had that problem, but lots of posters here have. This was a very frequent gripe from spring '03 until this past spring, but has subsided somewhat the last few months.

IIRC, there are several possibilities; even things as simple as the high mounted brakelight vibrating against the rear window. The rear parcel shelf has caused rattling problems for some folks. The rear speakers have also been a source of some vibrations.

By describing your vibration as 'like something metal in the trunk', that would eliminate most non-metallic sources.

Have you confirmed all the jack equipment is stowed properly, with no metal touching metal? This stuff is in the trunk under the right floor mat.

Have you checked the spare tire, making sure it is not loose, or that something like the socket for locking lug nuts is not sitting loose on the spare?

It could even be possible for the latching/hinge stuff on the back seat to be slightly out of kilter.

But most likely, you have the 'dreaded speaker/shelf assembly vibes', which are sometimes difficult to get rid of.

I will end this 'guessing' post, and encourage you to await tomorrow's flood of posts from the ones who have fought this frustrating problem.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:22 AM

I also have this problem. I have been to the dealership 5 times and no luck, but they think they found the problem and ordered the parts to fix it. Of course they are on backorder. Its some kind of retainers that are stripped out. I will post more when I see what they are talking about. Also they did the TSB work whic did not correct the problem. I think the dealerships should compensate you for missing work after so many trips there. Everyone in the dealership knows me there now.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:35 AM

...only time I have a 'rattling' problem is when I have a song playing loud and it happens to have alot of bass, but than again it's a stock audio system so you can't come not to expect that.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
...only time I have a 'rattling' problem is when I have a song playing loud and it happens to have alot of bass, but than again it's a stock audio system so you can't come not to expect that...
Yep. Same hear. Um, here.

And then there is the license plate frame (closing the trunk lid and "b-b-m-m").
And every once in awhile I here a squeak...a mouse perhaps? I think not...more like some dash frame support hitting plastic.

I just made appointment for first oil change (3750miles!) and I mentioned to the service writer to also fix the glove box. His response was "huh?". I mentioned there is a TSB fix for it and even have printout. Rather than saying "Oh, yes, the TSB#...", he acts indifferent. We shall see...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:58 AM

Maximage - The license frame rattle can be deadened with small clear soft stickon plastic 'dots' ('bumpers?) available in any hardware store. For dry locations (interior), you could use the cheaper little felt ones (green or brown).
Old 10-20-2004, 01:52 PM

I had the exact problem. The first time I took my Max in, I printed off the TSB & gave it to the service people. They did what the TSB said & it seemed to fix the problem for a few months. About two months ago the rattling came back & became more & more annoying. I took it back to the dealership. The service guy ended up coating the entire rear panel with some kind of foam. I never actually saw what he put in there, but it seemed to do a really good job of getting rid of the rattle. Now I am able to turn the Bose up to over 20 with 5 bass and dont hear hardly any distortion whatsoever.
BUT, in the last few days I'm starting to hear some wierd slight rattling and buzzing coming from the rear deck. This just goes to say that Nissan did an extremely poor job of designing the vehicle. In addition to my rear deck, my sunglass holder, odometer/speedomator casing & the rear-view mirrow all rattle & buzz constantly!!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update about that noise - I took it back to the dealership again today (#5) & the Svc Manager finally took a ride in the car (for the 1st time!!) to hear what I've been complaining about!! He said he took the lining out of the trunk & laid the back seats down so he could lay down & try to determine what the problem was. (Of course, He did this while someone else drove the car so he could hear the noise) He said the noise was coming from a "bundle" of wires that were zip tied together. Once he would hold on to them the noise would quit - so, he wedged a thick piece of foam rubber in between the wires & the rear parcel shelf area. Took him about 30 minutes ! So far, so good! We'll see!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

O.K. - still trying to get this noise fixed! Didn't hear the noise for about 3 days or so & then it started again. HELP !
Old 11-02-2004, 05:01 AM

I have been to the dealership 7 times for the same rattle. They have done the TSB and many other shots in the dark. They are now telling me it MAY be the rear shock making the noise. I can't believe they would think this. It definitly does not sound like its coming from a shock. I think I am going to find out how to remove the rear parcel shelf myself and dynomat it. I am tired of going to the dealership. Would this be classified as a lemon law for a rattle?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:02 AM

and by the way, the service manager was axed last friday. Yee Haw
Old 11-02-2004, 06:47 AM

skipcoon, I dont think dynomat is going to fix this problem. If your rattling is anything like what I've experienced and what I think other people are describing its going to require a lot more than just dynomat. On my fourth attempt with the dealership to get it fixed, they filled the entire rear deck with some kind of padding or foam. This works great, but I still have rattling coming from my speedometer/odometer casing, the sunglas holder & now the fricken' rear-view mirrow is buzzing like crazy! I cant take all this rattling!
Oh, and about the lemon-law issue, yes, that does qualify. I can only speak for Nebraska, but 4 or more unsuccessfull attempts to fix an issue qualifies. I am actually pursuing that right now. Like I've said before, I love this car, but its obvious that the 6th gen has some serious quality issues.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The sound you describe-Metal noise in the trunk- sounds like metal flexing right? If so have your dealership call mine. I had the same problem in my Max and it was due to some metal torque in the trunk area. I did the same thing the service manager did with your car. I went into the trunk while my GF was driving the car. The sound was coming through the wheel well area on the driver side. It's frame noise and not the parcell shelf, but the sound appears to come from that area.

Have them call Fergus Nissan 847-965-3460 and ask for Wayne the service manager. My tech's name is Hector. He should be able to help your tech out. Let me know what happens.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:32 AM

thanks for the info