6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Shimmy in 2004 or 2005 Max?
Shimmy with 2004 Max
40.65%
No Shimmy ever with 2004 Max
34.15%
Shimmy fixed with 2004 Max
8.94%
Shimmy with 2005 Max
4.07%
No Shimmy ever with 2005 Max
12.20%
Shimmy fixed with 2005 Max
0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

TeH SHIMMY thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 PM

I have taken my 04 into my local dealership three times with the shimmy problem. each time I tell them about the TSB on this problem and each time I am charged for the rotation and they tell me that the rotation should fix the problem. I am at the end of my rope with this problem. any imput would be helpful..
Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 PM

Does this count as 3 attempts to FIX the shimmy problem? Each time I went in my complaint was the shimmy or shking of the steering wheel and the front end.

1. They gave me a new right front tire b/c the origional tire was repaired with a plug for a flat before I even bought the car.

2. They replaced the warped rotors.

3. They put on the new struts and did the Road Force Balance with the 2 best tires in front.

It doesn't say that they adjusted the rack during their work doing the TSB. I lowered the air pressure in the tires to 30, I know this is lower than recommended and will affect my MPG, but as I took it for a spin on the highway tonight it was better than it was with 35lbs in the tires.

A thought on the shimmy that I've been wondering about is this; many of us experience the shimmy from @60-70mph and then it tends to get a little better around 75mph and higher. (As I type this they just showed a commercial with a black Acura TL. ) Is the speed sensitive steering part of the problem? Does the computer "relax" the speed sensitive steering boost by letting the steering become too sloppy at 60-70 mph and then tightens backup as the speed increases? Is this possible? Hopefully I explained my thought clearly, if not, I can try to clarify.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't think the computer has anything to do with the steering. Based on your descriptions, I think Nissan would argue that each of those are separate issues. You need to escalate the problem with CA and have the rack adjusted. You may get lucky though and a rebalance might fix the whole thing. I think 30 is the recommended PSI for the SL as 32 is recommended for the SE.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the information. I will take this info and see if they can get this fixed.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Shimmy, Shake, Vibrate, Give It Back!

I had my 04 Maxima for about 9 months. I noticed shimmy shortly after purchasing vehicle. To make a long story short, never could get it fixed. Took to 3 different dealers for about 9 visits. I worked through BBB AUTOLINE program to have a "final repair attempt" done. That initially worked, but about 1 month later it all came back. Worked through BBB AUTOLINE again and arbitrator completely agreed with me and last week I received my check and pay off for the Maxima. I'm out of it and couldn't be happier to get it off my back. Everyone should check out www.bbbautoline.com and file complaints. No cost to you. Easier than lemon lawsuit, but that works too.

Good luck to everyone!

BTW, I drove multiple cards 2004 & 2005 models, and all exhibited this problem. In my opinion, all Maximas that exhibit this problem will most likely always have the problem. Maybe they will pull their heads out of the sand and design and resolution for the rest of you.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bassmen6
I had my 04 Maxima for about 9 months. I noticed shimmy shortly after purchasing vehicle. To make a long story short, never could get it fixed. Took to 3 different dealers for about 9 visits. I worked through BBB AUTOLINE program to have a "final repair attempt" done. That initially worked, but about 1 month later it all came back. Worked through BBB AUTOLINE again and arbitrator completely agreed with me and last week I received my check and pay off for the Maxima. I'm out of it and couldn't be happier to get it off my back. Everyone should check out www.bbbautoline.com and file complaints. No cost to you. Easier than lemon lawsuit, but that works too.

Good luck to everyone!

BTW, I drove multiple cards 2004 & 2005 models, and all exhibited this problem. In my opinion, all Maximas that exhibit this problem will most likely always have the problem. Maybe they will pull their heads out of the sand and design and resolution for the rest of you.
I have worked with NNA without utilizing the BBB and have found that there are people at Nissan that want my car fixed as bad as I do. I have found that once you get to this level, the people are very attentive and willing to do whatever can be thought of to find out what is wrong. If you are having this problem, PLEASE do not give up and call the BBB. If everyone calls the BBB over this not only will the arbitrators then see that this IS a platform problem and you will not get anything from NNA, the people that will have to testify to defend their jobs and work product will be stuck in hearings rather than fixing cars for people that are willing to let Nissan diagnose and solve the problem. I agree that 9 trips is alot for one problem, but I can assure everyone that Nissan is aware of the problem and is going to what I would consider to be extreme measures to find a solution.

If you truly have a lemon, call the BBB. If you have a vibration problem that is present in "every one you drive", you have a platform problem that Nissan needs to address on a platform level.

Alright, let the flaming commence. I can take it.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NashMax
I have worked with NNA without utilizing the BBB and have found that there are people at Nissan that want my car fixed as bad as I do. I have found that once you get to this level, the people are very attentive and willing to do whatever can be thought of to find out what is wrong. If you are having this problem, PLEASE do not give up and call the BBB. If everyone calls the BBB over this not only will the arbitrators then see that this IS a platform problem and you will not get anything from NNA, the people that will have to testify to defend their jobs and work product will be stuck in hearings rather than fixing cars for people that are willing to let Nissan diagnose and solve the problem. I agree that 9 trips is alot for one problem, but I can assure everyone that Nissan is aware of the problem and is going to what I would consider to be extreme measures to find a solution.

If you truly have a lemon, call the BBB. If you have a vibration problem that is present in "every one you drive", you have a platform problem that Nissan needs to address on a platform level.

Alright, let the flaming commence. I can take it.

NashMax, I hope you don't consider this post to be a flame, because I have great respect for your views, but I disagree somewhat with your position on this. Nissan owners have a right to demand that their cars perform up to reasonable standards (i.e., minimal or no shimmy
with stock tires and rims). If Nissan mechanics are unable to bring cars to those standards within a reasonable period of time (i.e., one or two service visits), owners should probably be able to have their purchase price refunded. We are talking about a very widespread problem that strongly suggests a serious design flaw. This problem has been present for more than a year, and within that time frame, Nissan engineers could have tested and/or redesigned every suspension component imaginable in order to determine the problem's cause. It is great to hear that Nissan high level folks are concerned, but how much time do they really need? Moreover, many of us have been told that there is nothing seriously worong or that nothing more can be done or that they need to put different tires on their cars. Those who choose the lemon law or BBB route can only help to solve this problem, by putting additional pressure on NNA.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:28 PM

Holy Friggin Sh-t

I drove today from Cleveland to Youngstown, Ohio, on the Ohio Turnpike which is about a 180 mile round trip and it was the worst experience I've ever had in a $32,000 car!!!!!

I had to call the dealership to schedule a dropoff of my Max for Monday b/c the shaking was so severe. The rear end would shake the hole car from back to front. On top of that the gods of the steering wheel shimmy were pissed and really pulling on the wheel back and forth. Plus the car wants to go left if you let go of the wheel, the mechanics must have screwed something up when they put on the new struts. The car was shaking so badly that I could see the passenger seat shaking to the rhythm of the shimmy!!! I turned down the volume of the radio to place a call and I heard this drumroll sound coming from the right front tire, it sounded like the wheel was wobbling and about to fall off. I looked at everyone's face that was passing me to see if they had noticed anything wrong with my car, like a wheel about to come off. The shimmies (front end and steering wheel) and shakes (the rear wheels) start at around 50 and progressively get worse, I took it up to 80 to see what would happen and the shaking became so severe I was scared that something was gonna blow that I dropped it back down to 65-70 and drove with both hands. I was getting very angry b/c I was getting passed by all kinds of "inferior" cars, an old lady in a Saturn, an old beat up Subaru with the drivers side door caved in AND it had a wooden table strapped to the roof!!!

I am so pizzed off right now, all I could think about was getting rid of the Max thru the lemon law buy back or something and getting something else. I've just about had it. My Max is the greatest car from 0-50 mph but after that its crap. The shimmies have gotten the best of me and the car only has 5,300 miles on it since May 2005.

I'm going to my fridge and drinking a lot of beer to calm my nerves cuz I am friggin pizzed off.

Later.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
The "Other" project

Well I only have one short comment, I like NashMax am working extensively with my DTS to attempt to correct my car. My car has been to the dealer 17 let me repeat 17 times for the severe vibration described above. My car has had just at 15K invested by Nissan to try to fix the car. I was pretty po'd myself with my car but I also understand that when you work with the people they will do their best to get the car straightened out.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Damn dudes that sucks, hope everything works out, I have to knock on wood seeming how my 04 has been rock solid and slams down solid when needed...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I drove today from Cleveland to Youngstown, Ohio, on the Ohio Turnpike which is about a 180 mile round trip and it was the worst experience I've ever had in a $32,000 car!!!! The car was shaking so badly that I could see the passenger seat shaking to the rhythm of the shimmy!!! I turned down the volume of the radio to place a call and I heard this drumroll sound coming from the right front tire, it sounded like the wheel was wobbling and about to fall off. I looked at everyone's face that was passing me to see if they had noticed anything wrong with my car, like a wheel about to come off. The shimmies (front end and steering wheel) and shakes (the rear wheels) start at around 50 and progressively get worse, I took it up to 80 to see what would happen and the shaking became so severe I was scared that something was gonna blow that I dropped it back down to 65-70 and drove with both hands.
THE OWNER'S MANUAL STATES VERY CLEARLY THAT YOU CAN DRIVE SAFELY UP TO 100 MPH ON THREE WHEELS.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
Well I only have one short comment, I like NashMax am working extensively with my DTS to attempt to correct my car. My car has been to the dealer 17 let me repeat 17 times for the severe vibration described above. My car has had just at 15K invested by Nissan to try to fix the car. I was pretty po'd myself with my car but I also understand that when you work with the people they will do their best to get the car straightened out.

I admire your patients! I am at my wits end with the so-called FLAGSHIP. First I will say I am very pleased with my DTS and his efforts, and you are correct about working with them and they will work with you. As I have the same guy as NashMax. He seems to be a good guy who is working hard to try and resolve the problem. He has even offered me a G35 spoiler to put on my car for the troubles. Not to mention the Michelins!

On my most recent (3rd) attempt they replaced the steering wheel (05 wheel), the rack, new Michelins, rotors, and wheel bearings. The shakes are probably worse than before. The problem I have at this point with a repair is what will this car be like in her old age? I bought it to last like my 95 Max. I put 250k miles on that one and it never missed a beat. I don't want to be in the shop with this problem on my dime when the warranty is history. I am going to go through the lemon law steps now with a letter to NNA. To be quite honest I am afraid to go after an 05 if I get to that point. They seem to have the same problem just not as widespread, and with my luck I will bomb out again.

The shimmy is just part of what I have had to deal with along with the struts which are bad AGAIN and various other issues. Actually it is embarrassing all of my friends now dog Nissan, which I have always praised up this point.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

I rotated my tires today, the car exhibits NO shimmy at all at any speed now....even when cold...I think ill use this oppostunity to have just the two rears balanced. Thsi car is great when everything is balanced right.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM

A short brush with the devil Shimmy, again.

I didn't have the shimmy with my OEM RSAs when I got the SE (maybe a tiny one when the tires were cold in the morning). After the 1st rotation, I got a pretty big shimmy ~40MHP. I had the tires re-balanced and the shimmy was really small ~60MPH. After the 2nd rotation the shimmy was gone (original front tires were back to front).
I still had 1/2tread on the RSAs but the noise was unbearable. So I got a new set of Avons (check tirerack) ordered/installed by American Tires. I told the manager to pay extra attention as the Max is sensitive to balancing. The guy just ensured me of their expertise and kinda brushed it aside. Sure enough, the Max shakes like crazy from 40-70MPH to a point that I felt like Sh$T. I didn't want to drive the car anymore. I didn't want to drive my wife and kids around, as the whole car would shake and the steering wheel was dancing. I didn't even want to drive "myself" anywhere. So I showed up 1st thing monday morning asking the shop manager to look into the problem. I told him I would pay for the Hunter road-force if I had to. The man just smiled and took the key and brought my car in right away. He just told another guy to spin-balance all 4 tires with extra care. Well, the Max is back and I'm a happy guy again.
It's actually cheaper to let the shop order/install the tires than order straight from tirerack. I called them with tirerack's price and they matched that (and eat the shipping and sale-tax). I ended up paying ~$40 for the installation. It comes with warranty service, free lifetime balancing/rotation, free repair. They're the best in my book. Check them out at tires.com, retail stores under the names Discount Tires or American Tires.
If you don't buy tires from them, they still provide free flat repairs. Installation is ~$70, Lifetime balace/rotation is ~$60 for the Max. (hey both cost me $40 with this set of tires).
Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 PM

I've been waiting on a Master Technician to come to Cincinnati for about two months to correct my vibration/shudder issues. Guess these guys are extremely busy (imagine that). I've called my Service Manager three times and he assures me that he's coming in to address all of the issues with my car. I'm really beginning to understand why people buy Honda's and Toyota's now! This is ricoculous! Thank god the car is fun to drive and looks super sweet with bling bling. Makes all of this hassle almost tolerable.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:12 PM

Would Honda and Toyota put such big wheels&tires on their cars ? This is just a pain with trying to look good. I have owned Honda and Toyota and now sticking with Nissan. The way I understand about owning Honda and Toyota (to rid of "troubles") would be getting a car to get from point A to point B and back. That was what I felt. Actually I didn't feel a thing, those cars were so being cars that I didn't know how much I care about cars. So far my Nissans have been even more reliable. Did I mention they are fun !!!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 AM

:( Shimmy :(

i have an 04 maxima se 6spd, and from about 5k miles on I have a had a shimmy in the wheel at any speed above 60mph, I have brought it to the dealer several times to get it fixed and every time they said it was cause i had a bent rim. so i replaces 3 rims on my car and i still have this damn shimmy. It is so annoying to have a sport sedan that drives like **** at 80mph. Does anyone know what i can do to get this problem fixed. is there sumtin i can say to my dealer to stop them from just giving my car back to me. Any help would be much appreciated, i have an appt this thur. to drop it off with them and im not takin it back till this problem is fixed.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Not for rookies!!

Not sure if you have had a chance to read it yet, but there may be some information in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348639 , only a few threads down from yours. Also the stickies would be a great place to look for info.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:49 AM

I dropped of my 04 Max SL (purchaced new in May 2005 and now it has 5,500 miles on it) again last night.

I had a tire replaced,
Rotors replaced,
Struts and Road Force Balance and rotation.

Also had the rear seat repaired for a rip in the leather then replaced b/c the repair sucked. Also have a new glovebox on order b/c it doesn't line up. So in total I've been back @ 6 times in the 4 months I've owned the "Flag ship" of Nissan.

And now a fourth time in for the shimmies. We'll see what they say today. If they don't fix it this time, I will be giving them one more shot with their DTS expert and then I will have enough ammo to go thru with the Lemon Law buy back.

Love the Max but hatin the shimmy.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM

This is one of the reason's I traded mine in
Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also worked with NNA, without success. They told me that I would not win in court or arbitration, BUT I DID! They kept trying the same old thing over and over and over that all of us have seen with tires, balancing, roadforce, ... It's a broke record with NNA. If you want your car fixed, get another car. Not a NISSAN. You're just wasting your time with NNA. I HIGHLY recommend calling BBB Autoline ASAP! Just as you said, it is a platform issue and the only way to get it resolved is when they have to shell out enough money to owners to get proper attention of upper management. They will pay attention when they have to keep paying for buyback of their cars. You said you won't get anything from NNA if everyone calls BBB, trust me, I got nothing buy heartburn and headache from Nissan, but I got my money back from Nissan when using BBB.

I know you have good intentions, but I've been down that road and tried to work with NNA as much as possible - 8 mos. It's a dead end!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Interesting... I find a majority of the shimmy to be road feel. Although this isn't the answer you wish to hear it's true. Doesn't mean its ok either. I've been fighting with the dealer to do something about it. Fact is it's a design flaw with the steering system that would require a serious effort to look at. Just my .02 cents.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:38 PM

Getting one's money back

At most department stores--even furniture stores, you can return the merchandise and get a full refund if you're not satisfied. In fact, most people demand this type of guarantee. How come we can't do the same with automobile dealers when the merchandise is not as advertized???
Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM

BadBlack Max is having a sleep over.....

My Max is sleeping over at the dealer's tonight b/c they can't figure out where the shimmy is coming from. They have RFB'ed the tires again and it still has it. They are trading out my tires and rims with a new Max on the lot tomorrow to see if it still does it. Hint, IT WILL. Then they think it might be coming from the wheel hub. Hint, IT ISN'T. Why don't they swap out the entire suspension with an 06 Max and see if that helps. It might. I'm not an engineer but its safe to say that there is a weak link somewhere in this suspension. I think it may be in the lighter alloys that they have used to make the car lighter and faster and also shimmierer (yes, I meant to make up my own word.) With all the aluminum in the suspension and subframe I think it can not handle the stresses put on it and therefore the shimmy is born. Make the pieces out of steel and my car will be a few pounds heavier but I think the shimmys will be gone. This is my couch potato, arm chair quarterbacking degree in physics, engineering and metallurgy.

I am half hoping that they don't fix it so I can get out of this nightmare and the other half loves the Max for its looks, performance and the creature comforts that come with it.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
My Max is sleeping over at the dealer's tonight b/c they can't figure out where the shimmy is coming from. They have RFB'ed the tires again and it still has it. They are trading out my tires and rims with a new Max on the lot tomorrow to see if it still does it. Hint, IT WILL. Then they think it might be coming from the wheel hub. Hint, IT ISN'T. Why don't they swap out the entire suspension with an 06 Max and see if that helps. It might. I'm not an engineer but its safe to say that there is a weak link somewhere in this suspension. I think it may be in the lighter alloys that they have used to make the car lighter and faster and also shimmierer (yes, I meant to make up my own word.) With all the aluminum in the suspension and subframe I think it can not handle the stresses put on it and therefore the shimmy is born. Make the pieces out of steel and my car will be a few pounds heavier but I think the shimmys will be gone. This is my couch potato, arm chair quarterbacking degree in physics, engineering and metallurgy.

I am half hoping that they don't fix it so I can get out of this nightmare and the other half loves the Max for its looks, performance and the creature comforts that come with it.

I'm inclined to agree, BUT. Why, then, don't ALL 6th gens shimmy? Mine doesn't any more, except on rough roads. Or, do you believe the car shouldn't shimmy on any surface?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Proud owner of a NON-Shimmy MAX...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM

The loaner that the dealer gave me is a 01 Altima with 95,000 miles and it doesn't shimmy over the very same roads that my $32,000 04 Max does. My 02 Max SE didn't shimmy but I did get road surface feedback through the steering and the tires which is where I want it. Not with the constant shaking back and forth of the wheel on smooth roads and the right front tire shaking so badly as to rock the whole car. It just isn't made right. I think those that have the shimmys are in the norm and those that don't are the exceptions. I think most have the shimmy to a varying degree, some worse than others and those that have a minor case of it live with it and decide its part of the characteristics of the Max road feel and that is how Nissan is spinning this problem and I say its BullSh!t. If Nissan thought the Max shimmy/Road feel was so great, they'd put it in all of their cars.

Although I am pissed that my car isn't right, it is a minor problem compared to what is happening in New Orleans and that whole area down there hit by Hurricane Katrina.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 PM

I wonder how the 06's are going to act. My 05 SL's shimmy is getting worse. I am seriously contemplating trading in my Max when I get my reenlistment bonus in January.

I am about to make a 2000 mile trip to California in 3 weeks, 450 to Houston today, and I know its going to be annoying. Worst thing is I can't even put the stock 17s back on because they are already in storage in California. Nissan would blame the aftermarket rims on the shimmy.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 PM

I feel Nissan is dropping the ball big-time in this shimmy situation.

I have over fourteen months with my '04 SL with no sign of shimmy. And yes, I have briefly had it over 100 MPH with no vibration. Many posters on this board have shimmy-free Maximas. This tells me that when everything is in proper adjustment/alignment, the OEM parts work.

The question is, after over two years of hearing complaints, why has Nissan not put a concerted effort into finding why many 6th gen Maximas have this very annoying shimmy, why it is so difficult to correct, and come up with a very comprehensive dealer service department approach that would be almost certain to fix the problem.

I realize there is a TSB (see the stickies) and dealer procedure to fix the shimmy, but, in reading many posts here, I am not sure Nissan is insuring that dealers follow this procedure very carefully.

I'm not seeing many talk about the dealer adjusting the steering rack tension or insisting on a Hunter balance and alignment. Most dealers seem to be just throwing money at the problem (replacing parts *****-nilly) instead of spending a little effort in carefully analyzing the situation.

Sure, the problem is not in as many '05s, and hopefully will be in even fewer '06s. But it would be a huge mistake for Nissan to not make every effort to ascertain this problem is fixed in all '04s and '05s. With a car like the Maxima, where folks are having to ante up big bucks to buy one, driver satisfaction is paramount.

At least, that is how I feel.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM

BadBlack Max is having a sleep over..... AGAIN.

The service department has called me this evening to tell me my Max is fixed. They said, "It was the tires." I am picking it up tomorrow and they said they will be giving me the detailed explaination to their findings. I will post their results and my impressions after I drive it tomorrow. It may take me a little longer than usual to get home b/c I don't want to go fast and burn up too much gas. At $3.49/gallon I need to conserve fuel.

O.T. Hey Saudi Arabia, thanks for helping us out by not lowering oil prices after our disaster down in the Gulf states and our gas/oil issues and the sky rocketing oil prices. See if we help you next time you need us!! That goes for all of our "Allies" that have stepped up to offer their assistance. ********!!!

Out.
BadBlack
Old 08-31-2005, 05:18 PM

It seems to be more and more obvious that there is almost no tolerance for tire imbalance and road force variance in the 6th gen chassis. In a word, it is not "forgiving." I think Lightonthehill is right when he says most dealers are not performing careful balance and RFV assessments. My experience with balancing is that one machine will indicate the tire (tire-wheel; unit) is properly balanced, while another can easily indicate a half or more ounce out-of-balance. What I have said thus far may or may not, of course, address the vibration problem many have reported.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 PM

Sent the Lemon Law letter today and also filed it with the BBB. Now I can wait & see what kind of I go through.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:12 PM

Nissan

It amazes me tha Nissan is not all over this...
Old 09-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bertl
It amazes me that Nissan is not all over this...

Well, what do you think it might do to sales if it were the subject of a recall? And not merely to Maxima sales...
Old 09-03-2005, 05:38 PM
The "Other" project

Lobe,
The only problem about a recall is it would mean that they have to fix it,which we all know that they cannot do.....
Old 09-03-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
Lobe,
The only problem about a recall is it would mean that they have to fix it,which we all know that they cannot do.....
Speaking of recalls, Dave, aren't they limited to problems that pose a potential safety hazard? Has anyone been hurt or killed by the shimmy??
Old 09-04-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Speaking of recalls, Dave, aren't they limited to problems that pose a potential safety hazard? Has anyone been hurt or killed by the shimmy??
Just our resale value.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:56 AM

Recalls can be good for Marketing...If needed..

I disagree that recalls are bad for business unless they numerous…I believe that is Nissan has a problem that dissatisfies many of it’s customers due to performance issues that they would want to take car of it…What is more expensive to fix the problem or have thousands of dissatisfied customers…If Nissan would send you a letter indicting it has found a problem with your car and is willing to fix it wouldn’t you think it was a great company rather than say it sells crap…I know for me I would be extremely happy if any car manufacturer sent me a letter stating they are willing to fix my vehicle due to a faulty part or parts…I don’t know but to me that’s good marketing… I don’t know if Nissan reads this, hopefully, if they do they would take of this in a positive manner...There appears to be shimmy problems in many reports and forums that I have read…So it appears that is a widespread problem…
Old 09-04-2005, 07:33 AM
The "Other" project

bert,
just read, you will understand, many and I stress many of us have quite severe problems, and Nissan Corporate really does not care. I like many on this forum have a personal relationship with our DTS, he is even programmed into my phone. But to no avail, they have put 15K into my max trying to repair it. I have been working with them for quite a while hoping that they will fix the car..................but
Old 09-04-2005, 08:28 AM

BadBlack Max is really Bad now... (Meaning Really Good.)

Ok, I got my car back on Thursday, today is Sunday, and I wanted to drive it for a few hundred miles before I posted the results.

They RFB'd my wheels, twice, and the shimmy and shaking was still there. The service manager was not happy with this since I've been in there so many times for this problem in the 4 months I've owned the car. They decided to put 4 new Conti tires on it and see what would happen, even thought RFB readings were telling them my tires were balanced and true. They drove it and it was "smooth like glass". They called me up and wanted me to drive it before I accepted the car back. All I can say is I fell in love with this car all over again. Now it is the car I always wanted, big, powerful, comfortable AND smooth on the highway!!!

My therory on MY Max's problem:
I purchased my car brand new in May 2005. Its Born On Date is March 2004. So that means it did A LOT of sitting on those tires for long periods of time. Its flat spots must have been excessive and the sidewalls damaged due to these stresses of supporting 3500 lbs on the same spot on the tires day after day. Someone said in this thread a long time ago that with enough weight you can balance a brick but that doesn't make it round. I believe that is what happened to my Max. Now the highway driving is perfect and its road manners over expansion joints at speed is what I expect from this car. Even when cruising the city streets I can feel that the tires are softer and handle the bumps and cracks in the road like I am floating on air. I am truly Max fanatic now. I keep telling my wife that its unbelievable how much I like this car now and how happy I am that my battle with this problem is over. I hope the ghost of the shimmy never shows back up in my Max b/c for now it is fixed I can't be happier.... unless I won the lottery and then I would really go car crazy.

So I guess the issue for me is, yeah the tires were balanced and didn't have a broken belt or a bent rim but they weren't ROUND and compliant. I know many here have had fresh rubber put on and it didn't solve their problem but luckily for me it has... for now.

Good Luck to all that have been fighting this problem and thanks to brewboy13 for his help and I hope you win your case and you can get a Max that is to all of our expectations.

Its a beautiful day here in northeast Ohio so I am going outside to wash my Max and take her for a spin.

Quick Reply: TeH SHIMMY thread