6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

has anyone done 04 upgrade to Nav pckg

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

has anyone done 04 upgrade to Nav pckg

I just recv'd my new 04 . 'Cause they were clearing out for the 05's - i recv'd at a steal - unfortunately I was limited to what was on the lot.
Ended up with the SE 6sp with Leather pckg. One feature I wanted that wasn't included was the Nav pkg - dealer told me it wasn't possible to install one as an add in after the fact

Has anyone tried this before? or is there a third party product I can get that integrates seemlesly with the present system with LCD displays. I really don't want an after market prod. that sticks out on the dash. & would like to stay away from the portables.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:40 AM

Hey, another fellow Smoke owner. Congrats on your car, I just picked mine up yesterday as well, and it's great.

Unfortunately you can't retrofit a Non-nav system with a Nav system from the factory. How much did you pay for you Max?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:24 AM

Well, technically, it can be done, but at a relatively great expense. All of the parts are available from the dealer (go out to the Courtesy Nissan parts website to price the pieces). I don't remember all of the pieces needed but they include, the screen, screen surround with buttons, nav disc reader, control module, antenna, and maybe some other pieces.

One thing that I did not know, until I had my windshield replaced due to a crack, is that there are different windshields for navi and non-navi cars. Who woulda thunk it?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:38 AM

Xybermax I hear you on wanting Navi in the Max. When I bought my '04, the only one with navi was loaded. Topped out at like 37k. I dunno.....To this day that's the one thing I wish I got. I don't have the TCS or VCD either...somehow I think I'll be paying the price for that in the winter here in Jersey.....I actually have a guy at work who keeps trying to hook me up with Navi through a friend but I want the factory look as well....
Old 10-30-2004, 09:17 AM

Hey XyberMax

Where did you buy your Max from? I'm in Toronto as well. Nothing put problems with mine so far.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll do multiple responses all at once:
I paid $31k CDN - all in (includes TCS no VCD - I think that onlycomes with auto option). To Chodu...technically I am in Whitby - & have been dealing with the dealership here for a while (3 altimas - 1 pathfinder & a 240 in the early dayz, between myself & family) - so they know me well.
I haven't seen much problems except for probably the shimmy. Dealer said to run the car for a while to even out any flat spots on the tires - seems to be helping - But the car is still a virgin - only 300 km so far. I am hesitant to take it in to get it balanced, just cause of the horror stories I am seeing about some folks making it worse....time will tell - if the shimmy doesn't go away, may not have a choice.
Best part of the car is the juice - stick in your seat go - oh yeah. Next step - 350
Old 10-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

to DougJones - never thought about it b4, but the windscreen makes sense, seing as how the antennae is integrated - looks like I may have to go with another product -

Anybody have any recommendations? - i still want to keep the lines as neat as possible.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

move the info screen down by the shifter and put a 7in lcd screen in their buy attachment from cobymax and put a dvd player in the glovebox or under the seat.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Hey XyberMax

For some reason I knew you had bought it from Midway Nissan. Mines from there as well. They have been good so far, but the cars been nothing but problems for me. I've had the shimmy + +++ other problems.

I hope you have good luck with your car. I'm gonna be selling mine soon.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HI Guys , This is xorbitman...had a 2002 Max, this year I got a 2004 in January...it was a real problem child...new tranny at 15.5k, 4 shocks, etc, etc. etc. This car spent 1 month total in the shop during it's 9 months with me! Spinelli In Montreal ( Point-Claire) worked out a deal with Nissan ...actually it was mostly Spinelli and now I am the proud owner of a 2005 SE fully equiped Silver ...Yes...That is what customer service should be about! THANK YOU SPINELLI NISSAN!
Old 10-30-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
HI Guys , This is xorbitman...had a 2002 Max, this year I got a 2004 in January...it was a real problem child...new tranny at 15.5k, 4 shocks, etc, etc. etc. This car spent 1 month total in the shop during it's 9 months with me! Spinelli In Montreal ( Point-Claire) worked out a deal with Nissan ...actually it was mostly Spinelli and now I am the proud owner of a 2005 SE fully equiped Silver ...Yes...That is what customer service should be about! THANK YOU SPINELLI NISSAN!
Is the 05 really problem free for you? How long have you had the 05?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:01 AM

.....from what I've been told at the dealer they say it's about $2,500-$3,000 for you to add the navi system for non-navi Maximas. Luckily I have the Elite Package and I have no worries.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The dealer has told me that they can't upgrade a non-Navi Max to a Navi-Max - unless like DougJones mentioned you go all out & I think its going to be more than $3k.

I think I may shift things around like smokinmax suggests...
Thanks for the 411 guys
Old 10-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Chodu,

How responsive has Midway been to helping you out? They've always been good to me in the past, but if my Max goes the way a lot of folks are mentioning - then I may have to get into another level of negotiations with them. I am hoping I can get similar reponsiveness MaxMus got with Spinelli.
.....But again no major problems yet...have to wait for the breakin period.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:47 PM

XyberMax,

Service dept truly sucks. I've had my car for just about 4 months now and by car has been there for about 5 weeks in total. First couple of times I took my car in they would just give the car back saying they have fixed the problems when they didn't. It was until the owner of the dealership got involved that some action took place. I had a terrible shimmy problem, broken struts, sunroof issues. Once the owner got involved everything got done properly. To date they have replaced a lot of things on my car including a set of new tires.

Right now everything seems to be fine, but I think I'll be going back in soon for another broken strut. I can't really blame the dealership too much, as this is mostly a general Nissan problem.

I even tried getting them to replace my car but it got nowhere. Anymore problems I get I will be dealing with Nissan directly.