6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Automatic Locking

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Automatic Locking

My question:

I bought an 04 Maxima a few weeks ago, and I really love it. But I have noticed that the doors do not lock automatically when the car is put in gear. I find that odd as my past few cars have done this.

Am I missing some setting I need to turn on, or does the Maxima just not do this?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is no option in the maxima for this that I am aware of. Other posts have confirmed this.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Maxima does not do this. And when you pull on the handle when the door is locked, from the inside of course, the door opens...however beware that just cause the door opens, it does not mean that it stays open. The 04 has an interesting personality...when you close the door once you are outside, what you though was an open door is now actually sometimes locked! Many a thread in this forum has been about this unusual quirk in the lock design....the handle does not fully retract the locking mechanism and when you shut the door the door will actually relock itself!. I would keep a spare key in your wallet...you can have one made without the plastic. handle and chip just to unlock the door in case you get caught. Make sure that you go to a locksmith and not just any hardware store for a good key. The 2005 is different. You cannot unlock the door by pulling on the handle...you must hit the power button or manually unlock the door switch.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bakerman
I find that odd as my past few cars have done this.
I find it very normal as none of my past cars has done that...

I guess it's personal preference, some ppl like it some ppl hate it.
I personally don't like that feature...
Old 10-31-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bakerman
My question:

I bought an 04 Maxima a few weeks ago, and I really love it. But I have noticed that the doors do not lock automatically when the car is put in gear. I find that odd as my past few cars have done this.

Am I missing some setting I need to turn on, or does the Maxima just not do this?
For the price I paid, I think they should have added that, nice safety feature against getting jacked...some people hate auto locking doors though, they also fear that as a crash safety issue....I call it not getting thrown out the door, but the belt handles that I guess.

What the Maxima does have is the auto relock....something I have turned off and find personally, utterly useless. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I imagine with a aftermarket alarm, remote start, you can have that added.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by xorbitman
...The 2005 is different. You cannot unlock the door by pulling on the handle...you must hit the power button or manually unlock the door switch.
that sucks.
my 04 has never locked me out. but i don't use the lock feature, and do not lock the doors when i am insisde. i feel the feature is useless anyway. it's too easy to hit the door button, or key fob that one needs the car to lock itself anyway. i would hate to rely it.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM

This may be stupid input, but there is an option in the LCD display that says lock time...I can't remember where it is, but I saw it while scrolling through setings one time. It may just be the lock time when the car is sitting w/o occupants, but it may be what you are looking for.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by steven614
This may be stupid input, but there is an option in the LCD display that says lock time...I can't remember where it is, but I saw it while scrolling through setings one time. It may just be the lock time when the car is sitting w/o occupants, but it may be what you are looking for.
That's auto-lock on the doors when after you (supposedly) get out. I think he's talking about auto-locking when the car starts moving, which some cars have and some don't.

There have been a few threads about both features, and many, MANY people love and hate both.