6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Poblem with Sat radio set-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Poblem with Sat radio set-up

Hello Guys: Thanks for answering my question on the shimmy issue. I took possesion of my 05 Max this past friday. I can't stop driving it. The car is awsome. Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the dealer. I ordered XM sat radio with the car, but the color/option pkg was so hard to find(says the salesman), the dealer is installing the sat radio (including roof antenna) this week.Icalled Nissan customer relations this morning to find out if Nissan is participating in a promo with XM(1st 2 months free subscribtion-Nissan says they are not).The bottom line is I discoverd Nissan considers this an after market option and WILL NOT cover it under its new car warranty since it didn't come from the factory with this option. Needless to say, I'm upset.Any advice is welcome. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 AM

My first advice is to BACK OUT of XM as quickly as possible. You may think u have a deal with paying 9.95, but TRUST me you are not. Firstly, the deep playlists have you NEVER knowing what the hell is playing, you have to pay for anything other than the basic music channels in your car, where as sirius you get internet access, and ALL sports free, including howard stern soon as well (not sure if your a big fan), but sirius has excellent playlists as well, and are moving in much more of a forward direction then xm, just trying to help you out so you dont have to switch later!!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know if there are any custome mounting brackets out there for satellite (sirius plug and play) radio, for the 04 Max? I am having a hard time finding a way to mount this unit.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:00 AM
SuPeRmOd

many have mounted players or iPods with brackets from Home Depot. I haven't, but can be done.

Yes Sirius is slowly, but surely taking top place for SAT. absolutely no commericals, and everything is included. Like Internet use, connect your PC, or wireless laptop to stero and you get free service at home.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's, of course a matter of opinion, but I prefer XM. All their music channels are commercial free. They now have access to their programming over the Internet, although it is $3.99 per month extra. The monthly cost is only $9.95 vs. Sirius's $12.95. I like XM's pricing structure better, as it keeps the cost down for average usage, but allows me to pick and choose premium services should I want them.

Opie and Anthony trumps Stern any day of the week.

MLB is coming to XM in the Spring. Because of the number of games, and the dates/times they are on, it is more important to me to have MLB on the radio, than having the NFL on Sirius.

Quality of XM programming and devices is excellent. Delphi is coming out with MyFi in Dec., which is basically and XM walkman.

Just my humble opinion of the differences. I don't think it's fair to say that Sirius is taking top place for SAT at this point. That, of course, can change.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. SAT NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY???

1. The dern car comes from the factory pre-wired for SAT and Nissan provides an audio input specifically for the SAT tuner through their HU.

2. You can purchase the OEM tuner and have them install it for you via their parts/service dept...@ an additional cost, but they still advertise this service for the consumer... There's freaking SIRIUS SAT brochures sitting all around my dealership's lounge area as we speak!

3. The Clarion manufactured tuner is proprietary to Nissan/Infiniti (custom made especially for the car maker).

The reasons above, by default, warrants some kind of workmanship/design flaw protection w/ no questions asked! I DON'T GET IT!!! Are you sure none of the parts/labor is covered by some kind of limited warranty @ best???

For me, I installed the tuner/antenna myself, so that part of it, I presume, wouldn't be covered by Nissan. But the tuner damn well better be covered for parts and functionality!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. SAT NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY???

1. The dern car comes from the factory pre-wired for SAT and Nissan provides an audio input specifically for the SAT tuner through their HU.

2. You can purchase the OEM tuner and have them install it for you via their parts/service dept...@ an additional cost, but they still advertise this service for the consumer... There's freaking SIRIUS SAT brochures sitting all around my dealership's lounge area as we speak!

3. The Clarion manufactured tuner is proprietary to Nissan/Infiniti (custom made especially for the car maker).

The reasons above, by default, warrants some kind of workmanship/design flaw protection w/ no questions asked! I DON'T GET IT!!! Are you sure none of the parts/labor is covered by some kind of limited warranty @ best???

For me, I installed the tuner/antenna myself, so that part of it, I presume, wouldn't be covered by Nissan. But the tuner damn well better be covered for parts and functionality!!!
I would imagine, that most dealers should cover it, especially if you got it installed at the time you bought the car new. It is a DEALER option, should be covered under the warranty. Now, if you INSTALL it yourself....there goes the dealer warranty on the item as THEY did not install it and they COULD fault a failure to your wiring, even though it is plug and play if you are PREWIRED.

XM...Sirius.....all a matter of personal taste. I like XM radio as it is cheaper. I have a XM boom box in the house, and a Roady in the Maxima now hidden in the center console, yep, would like to get the sat tuner to make it cleaner....but 300 bucks for a tuner....do not have the money right now and I currently have XM with the Roady so it is not a big priority for me. Will it be nicer, work with the head unit and no wires hanging, yep, but kind of a luxury I do not have the money for....and am in the Military, up for an assignment, possibly overseas, might not work there, but XM said some Military guys have them working believe it or not, in Germany.