6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problem when driving on freeway.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problem when driving on freeway.

Hi, I am sorry if someone has made a thread about this and this is somewhat of a repost. Well anyway the problem I am having is when I am driving on the freeway, the rear feels likes its doing a little mambo. I am not sure if its because of the Goodyears RSA and high tread that is following the lines of the freeway. It is really annoying, so I would appreciate any help that you guys might have in resolving this issue I am having.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 02:37 PM

I just took a 3000 mile trip and I noticed this only when I was behind a semi in a lane on eitherside of it. Other wise the car ran flawlessly.

Banditman
Old 11-12-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kenttz
Hi, I am sorry if someone has made a thread about this and this is somewhat of a repost. Well anyway the problem I am having is when I am driving on the freeway, the rear feels likes its doing a little mambo. I am not sure if its because of the Goodyears RSA and high tread that is following the lines of the freeway. It is really annoying, so I would appreciate any help that you guys might have in resolving this issue I am having.

Thanks
Ask your dealer to check the alignment of all 4 wheels.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:51 PM

kenttz - I have not noticed anything like this on my SL, and I have not only cruised on freeways, but have had it over 90 mph many times, paying very close attention to exactly how the car was tracking/riding.

My first thought was maybe all your freeway miles are on a section with grooved (antiskid) pavement. That will really play 'skip-to-my-Lou' with a car. But that is unlikely.

My second thought is, as lobewiper suggested, a four wheel alignment. I would examine all four wheels and tires (especially rear) very carefully. I would have them balanced on a GSP9700 machine, which should spot problems such as an out-of-round or warped wheel or tire.

I don't recall another poster with exactly this problem, so I would advise that you pursue this to a solution.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:57 PM

My first thought was maybe all your freeway miles are on a section with grooved (antiskid) pavement. That will really play 'skip-to-my-Lou' with a car. But that is unlikely.

<-- This is what it is. Add cross winds and it can be worse. Add SHimmy and well... you get the idea. Hopefully you don't have the Shimma
Old 11-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Thx for the advice guys, I am going to call my dealer on Monday to have it checked out. I will post once I find out the cause of this.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:50 AM

I actually have similar issues with some new Falken 512's (as oem replacements on a 2k2....so not 6th gen). Someone here in the ORG, in my case says its due to the soft sidewalls of the Falkens. However, I've asked around about this, and one place I was told that this is related to the groove spacing on the tires, being very close to the groove spacing, and it is the tires just following the grooves. I noticed that one reporting this here is an SE owner and another is an SL. Not sure if they both have the same tires or not. I know in 2k2, tires (sizes and model) varied between the different car models. Anyway, a suggested "test" for this was to adjust tire pressures to see if this changes that behavior. Lowering might make the tires absorb this more, and possibly increasing might make it ride over it a bit. I have not tried this trick yet, so I can't say for sure if this is the answer. I do know that there is one particular stretch of antiskid highway on my route to and from work, and the "dancing" is more in one direction over the other. I also went on a different freeway with antiskid, and there was virtuallly no "dancing". Now on this other freeway, the speeds are much higher 75 vs 55, so maybe speeds are a factor?? I know my model theory SE vs SL, could be questioned with Banditmans comments as he too is and SL, but that could be an aerodyanmic issue, as I know those big rigs are really changing air flow. Anyway....I know I am not claiming this as fact....just something I had heard, and thought I'd throw it out. In some respects, it does sound like a valid theory. If anyone does try the air pressure trick and it works, please post (and I will do the same if I get around to it).
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

kenttz,

I live in the San Diego area and noticed on the 5 and the 15 highways on certain sections that for some reason or another they have put deep grooves in the highway. My vehicle danced all over the road at high speeds (80-90 mph). However, for the most part at least on the smooth sections I dont have that problem. I'm willing to bet if you don't have this problem all of the time it is the grooves. Good luck!!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by kenttz
Thx for the advice guys, I am going to call my dealer on Monday to have it checked out. I will post once I find out the cause of this.
if u only felt this on that one occasion on that road, and you do not notice it on the way to the dealer, don't waste your or their time. If it isn't duplicatable, there will be no problem for them to fix. Drive the same way on other roads first, b/c you'll sit and wait for the dealer to do the same.

Then take it there and show them how to duplicate it.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:40 PM
cim

I bet the issue your experiencing is unique to some of the LA area freeways. I travel extensively around the country and have only noticed this annoying issue on SoCal freeways. Most freeway road surfaces in other parts of the country don't seem the same sort of 'groove pattern' that some of ours do. My '05 SE does the exact same thing... especially on the more 'grooved' surfaces.