6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

OT: BMW's "Angel eyes"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OT: BMW's "Angel eyes"?

Do those halo lights have a purpose on the bimmers or are they just for show. I've been wondering for a while. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 06:42 AM

Thry're basically the parking lights, or as they call them in Europe, the "city lights". If you'll notice, late-model Bimmers don't have big honkin' amber parking ights like most American and Japanese cars, just amber side-markers.

In Europe, most towns and cities prohibit using full headlights in the main part of the city, so city lights are used. BMW just wanted something different.

Mike
Old 11-20-2004, 06:50 AM

Check out the 5th gen forums, and if you wana be the 1st to try it on a 6th gen let us know! :-D Lots of guys have done the 'angel-eye' mod over there. Looks fantastic too. 5 out of 5 stars.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jasonjm
Check out the 5th gen forums, and if you wana be the 1st to try it on a 6th gen let us know! :-D Lots of guys have done the 'angel-eye' mod over there. Looks fantastic too. 5 out of 5 stars.
I'll go for it myself if it doesn't look too rice... hopefully somebody will do it first and take lots of pictures...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Thry're basically the parking lights, or as they call them in Europe, the "city lights". If you'll notice, late-model Bimmers don't have big honkin' amber parking ights like most American and Japanese cars, just amber side-markers.

In Europe, most towns and cities prohibit using full headlights in the main part of the city, so city lights are used. BMW just wanted something different.

Mike
Yep, just like Mike said, I actually got a ticket in Italy from the Carabinari for using my headlights in the city. They have city lights.

I had some nice angel eyes on my BMW. I dont really get the thing about putting the BMW style angel eyes on Japanese cars though as this is a BMW trademark. Not to say they look bad....just they do not belong on a Japanese car.

Good site for Angel Eye kits though that us BMW guys support....the best place on the market, I know they make a kit for the 5th gen Max, but this would be a hack and glue job.....remember, your headlight assemblies are not cheap on the Max.

http://www.umnitza.com/

Just for an idea, this is what they do for the Altima....wonder if they will offer a kit for the Max, but looks like this could work for the Max as well...

Anyways, good link to get you started. Be advised, the halos are very fragile and you also run the risk of lights fogging up if not resealed after you split them. Matter of fact, my drivers side stock headlight is fogging up.....just stock, no angel eyes or anything. Dealer is replacing it when I get the time, has to remove the front bumper to do so.