6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My car just got rearended :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car just got rearended :(

I was waiting for the light when all of a sudden the driver behind me was distracted and rammed into me doing about 35mph. I hit my friends car that was in front of me but no damage beside a bent license plate frame for him. However my bumper was pushed inward along with the grill. Damage I am sure exceeds 6k. And if its aleast that much I wil ask for them to pay me for a new ride. I heard that if you have under 30days with the car you can get a new one, however I am not sure on that. If anyone has information on that please post. Well anyway here are the pix I took.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:57 PM

While I feel for your pain, I disagree with how much you think this will cost you...the damage that I can see, looks ot be a new rear bumper, two new mufflers which, after all is said and done, won't cost you more than $1000....It's ****ty when things like this happen, but your car is not a "total loss" by any means....get it fixed from a reputable body shop and once it is, you won't even remember how it looks right now

edit:
Didn't see front bumper...I don't know if it just requires a new grille and re-painting....might be more...but maybe not.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by [ACE]
While I feel for your pain, I disagree with how much you think this will cost you...the damage that I can see, looks ot be a new bumper, two new mufflers which after all is said and done won't cost you more than $1000....It's ****ty when things like this happen, but your car is not a "total loss" by any means....get it fixed from a reputable body shp and once it is, you won't even remember how it looks right now
I gotta agree on the damage. It sucks, but I don't think it's that much unless there's damage to the radiator as well -- and even then it might be pushing it. Even if the damage extends past the muffler into the rest of the exhaust, you're not looking at $6k IMO...
Old 11-22-2004, 01:23 AM

Well there are a few other things I forgot to mention that are messed up as a result. Such as the rear quarter panel was pushed inward abit and something is wrong with my suspension. Well the left side that is, I hear squeaking now when i drive and its coming only from that left side. Also not only are the mufflers damaged but also the piping, its all bent pretty bad. Everything was pretty much moved. Trunk is abit off along with the left tail light. And for some reason my headlight is pointing upward abit like a bracket was broken or something. Well anyway once i take it to the bodyshop i will know exactly what was damaged and i will let you guys know the cost, I am just waiting on the adjuster to call.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was rear ended on friday night. luckily not as bad, maybe aroudn 5-10 mph. sorry to hear about your car, hope everythign works out.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

That sucks man. Hopefully the guy/girl had insurance. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:58 AM

hope you didn't get hurt or anything.. sorry to hear your mishap ? good luck.. go to a body shop and asses your damages it looks like you need f/r bumper, grille and exhaust.. I think its time for you to look at bright side...
get the an Good exhaust, greddy and the body kit while you at it..
just my two cent.. but good luck..
Old 11-22-2004, 06:27 AM

I think some of you underestimate how much it costs to get this kind of thing fixed. I scraped a concrete post with my '00 max, just had to replace the bumper and rear quarter panel, and it cost $3k. Two mufflers, front and rear bumpers, maybe some quarter panel damage... easily could be 6k.

However, I highly doubt anyone is going to give you a new car for that. It's 20% of the cost of the vehicle... hardly totalled.

-Nate
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Souljourner
I think some of you underestimate how much it costs to get this kind of thing fixed. I scraped a concrete post with my '00 max, just had to replace the bumper and rear quarter panel, and it cost $3k. Two mufflers, front and rear bumpers, maybe some quarter panel damage... easily could be 6k.
Well I speak from experience myself... I got into some automotive tango a couple of years ago and ended up needing a new hood, front bumper and radiator for my '02 CLK. Damage came up to $3800.

* shrug *
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 AM

That'll buff right out!

on a serious note, I would definitely try for a new car. Cars are never the same after they've been fixed. if some panels dont line up perfectly, you could have a lot more road and wind noise, not to mention the resale value will go down. I dunno, g'luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:55 PM

holy crap, i was just a about to post a new thread because i just got rear ended on friday. i wish i had a digital cam because i know you guys are yelling right now sayingg this post is useless without pics but i had to tell somebody. the guy who hit me was eating and didnt even see me. hit me doin about 40. the maxima just crumbled up. the whole back of my car is in the backseat. i wish i had pics. those pics above are like a dent compared to what my car looks like. i know this sounds gay but when i got out and looked at my car i felt like crying but that quickly turned to anger. whats wrong with peple these days. they have no respect for other peoples cars. i feel sad right now. just thinking of her.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Reported

Originally Posted by EdRomo86
holy crap, i was just a about to post a new thread because i just got rear ended on friday. i wish i had a digital cam because i know you guys are yelling right now sayingg this post is useless without pics but i had to tell somebody. the guy who hit me was eating and didnt even see me. hit me doin about 40. the maxima just crumbled up. the whole back of my car is in the backseat. i wish i had pics. those pics above are like a dent compared to what my car looks like. i know this sounds gay but when i got out and looked at my car i felt like crying but that quickly turned to anger. whats wrong with peple these days. they have no respect for other peoples cars. i feel sad right now. just thinking of her.
at least you are alive. did the airbags go off?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 PM

no they didn't, thats what i asked myself later too. what do you think, should they have gone off, i think they should have gone off. any comments anybody.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:57 AM

Did your face hit the steering wheel? No? Then they didn't need to go off

Getting rear ended isn't usually going to set off the airbags unless you're pushed into something... which you were, but maybe not enough to set off the airbags? I dunno. How's your neck, by the way? And how tall are you? Just wondering how well our whiplash protection works in these things.

To the guy who paid $3800 for bumper, hood, and radiator on a CLK, I'd say you got a heck of a deal... but then, maybe I just got screwed with my repairs

-Nate
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 PM

wow, 1k for repairs? When an old lady hit my back door at 5MPH, they had to replace it and final bill was 1800 with labor/new door/paint. And thats just for one freaking door which went on ebay for $100

p.s.: and i have 98 car, not brand new maxima =/
Old 11-23-2004, 02:46 PM

Food for though...

The IIHS has been complaining about bumper design in all cars for years and years now. They simply don't make them like they used to. Just go to theIIHS website and you can see how other cars perform.

Safety is the key reason that bumpers crumple so easily. We want that to happen in higher speed accidents. However, it costs companies $$$ to make a more durable bumper. For them the price of making the bumper more sturdy is not worth the cost. Some argue it would only cost a few more dollars in design and implementation, but multiply that out by 100's of thousands and that adds up quick. Car companies want to make money off of their products. This cuts into their profits so the use cheaper materials and do less design in this area.

Ultimately is a trade off between saftey and price.
Don't get me wrong...it frustrates me to no end how cheap some stuff is and how expensive it is to replace...just have to live with it. Be glad you walked away with few or no injuries.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by kenttz
I heard that if you have under 30days with the car you can get a new one, however I am not sure on that.
takin on insurance companies... good luck!!
1.) your friend's car was involved (no much damage)
2.) you posted this out here..

if I were an insurance guy, i'd be asking some questions..

dont get me wrong ... i hate to see that happen to any max... (any car fro that matter..hope ure ok) but you shd be getting a professional telling u what to say/write or do..
Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 PM

souljourner im 5'8" tall 165 pds. i got whiplash pretty bad. my back is killing me. i go in for x rays on mon. my head didnt hit the steering wheel partly because i seen he was going to hit me 2 seconds before it happened so i braced myself for it and still got whiplash pretty bad. i coouldn't even imagine if i wasn't expecting the blow, it would of snapped my neck.