6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

custom enterprise y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:38 PM

me too about to order for my cousin tomorrow but goin to wait to see if the fix for the gasket and bolt problem is included.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Custommaxima.com

CanadianMoFo: We have never proven that the addition of the y-pipe has increased nor decreased gas mileage. Many rumors have circulated that it decreases your gas mileage. You are correct in assuming that it may go down because naturally when you install the y-pipe and feel the additional horsepower you want to have more "fun" and accelerate harder, and drive faster, both which will decrease your gas mileage. Just my two cents.

BigCat44: I am sorry to hear about the trouble you had installing it. I will try to answer your questions the best I can. First of all the y-pipes do not come with new gaskets and bolts, we offer an install kit with the pipe that simply includes new gaskets. The factory y-pipes we prototyped had removeable bolts on the rear of the pipe. This raises the question in my mind if some factory y-pipes could have the "fixed" bolts and some would have the "reusable" bolts. Perhaps then we will include the bolts at no charge in the install kits. Also I would definately get a gasket in there just to ensure there is a proper seal. I'd like you to call me when you get a chance and talk to you more about this. I want to give this some attention and get to the bottom of it to make sure no one else has any fitment issues.

As of today we sold 261 of those pipes and you are the first one to mention this to me. If this was a common problem I am sure we would have gotten more calls but still I want to learn more about this. So call me when you get a chance. 203-730-0858.

Thanks,
Greg
President
Custom Enterprise

Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is the cost for the install kit (gaskets)?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Custommaxima.com

hmm I think around $14.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 PM
BigCat44

Greg thanks for the info, I will give you a call tomorrow for sure. The one thing that concerns me is that the Y-pipes could be different on maybe different models. I'll give you a call tomorrow

Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 PM

So if we want gaskets and the propper bolts we need to pay the extra $14? Im probably placing my order tommorrow. I wanna make sure I get everything I need for the install.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
BigCat44

Greg,
Thanks for the help and concerns into this matter. Glad I could help!!

Old 12-30-2004, 06:06 AM
Custommaxima.com

Glude: The install kits only have gaskets, not bolts as we originally did not know you had to replace the bolts. You shouldn't need the bolts, I think bigcat44 just has a rare occurance which i am going to look into today.

-Greg

Old 12-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Just purchased my Y-Pipe tonight! Greg said they will ship it out on Tuesday. I can't wait...

Is it easy to install for a Do-It-Yourselfer? Or what type of shop should do it?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:18 AM
BigCat44

Originally Posted by Willster
Just purchased my Y-Pipe tonight! Greg said they will ship it out on Tuesday. I can't wait...

Is it easy to install for a Do-It-Yourselfer? Or what type of shop should do it?
Congrats..you won't be disappointed. Scroll up to my long post above for install advice.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:12 PM

will your company be open tomorrow so i could call and order the pipe?
Old 12-31-2004, 08:02 PM

Greg, im right in NY probley 45 minutes from ya, if i come up and purchase the Y pipe for my 05 max, how much to throw it on real quick? also in the market for a Greddy exhaust & Stillen strut tower bar & Battery tie down, got any ideas on where i can get these items?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:10 AM

Ok thinking of buying. Got some spare cash
If I bring this to a exhaust shop to have it installed.
Whats a good estimate on what they may charge?

Thanks
Joe
Old 01-01-2005, 10:23 AM

I can't immagine it would be more than 1 or 1.5 hours of shop time. Its only a couple bolts and the O2 sensor that have to be messed with.

CM
Old 01-01-2005, 11:52 AM
BigCat44

1hr is all it should take. 6 bolts in the front (14mm deep well socket, breaker bar, and ratchet), drop the O2 sensor (21mm open face wrench I think), drop the small black bracket (12mm dog bone or socket), remove 2 14mm nuts on back part of cat/pipe.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:36 PM

Can any of you say torque steer? $250+ to make the problem worse?

Also, has anyone confirmed those dyno #'s for the pipe? I call bs.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:43 PM

"Feel the HP"? I call marketing BS.

Originally Posted by Custommaxima.com
CanadianMoFo: We have never proven that the addition of the y-pipe has increased nor decreased gas mileage. Many rumors have circulated that it decreases your gas mileage. You are correct in assuming that it may go down because naturally when you install the y-pipe and feel the additional horsepower you want to have more "fun" and accelerate harder, and drive faster, both which will decrease your gas mileage. Just my two cents.

BigCat44: I am sorry to hear about the trouble you had installing it. I will try to answer your questions the best I can. First of all the y-pipes do not come with new gaskets and bolts, we offer an install kit with the pipe that simply includes new gaskets. The factory y-pipes we prototyped had removeable bolts on the rear of the pipe. This raises the question in my mind if some factory y-pipes could have the "fixed" bolts and some would have the "reusable" bolts. Perhaps then we will include the bolts at no charge in the install kits. Also I would definately get a gasket in there just to ensure there is a proper seal. I'd like you to call me when you get a chance and talk to you more about this. I want to give this some attention and get to the bottom of it to make sure no one else has any fitment issues.

As of today we sold 261 of those pipes and you are the first one to mention this to me. If this was a common problem I am sure we would have gotten more calls but still I want to learn more about this. So call me when you get a chance. 203-730-0858.

Thanks,
Greg
President
Custom Enterprise
Yup. Ya heard me right. I feel bad for 261 6th gen'ers......if it is really 261...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:18 PM
BigCat44

Originally Posted by trendsetter434
Can any of you say torque steer? $250+ to make the problem worse?

Also, has anyone confirmed those dyno #'s for the pipe? I call bs.
Judging by your posts I would say you aren't going to purchase this part and thats all well and good, but I must comment on the torque steer. My 02 had the worse torque steer ever. With that said, this car with this pipe is nowhere near the stock TQ steer of my 02. I didn't spend 250 bucks on my pipe and I didn't purchase it because of a dyno number because a dyno is a tool that can be used however you want it to. All engines will perform differently and you also have to figure in Altitude ASL, temp, running temp, and various other conditions. I do know this Y-pipe is lighter and less restrictive then the stock configuration and I am very happy with my purchase regardless of a dyno number. I feel bad that you are so negative over a product you have no experience with on your car.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Agree with most of what you said.

Go here and you will see the point I'm getting at:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=245219&page=4

BTW, how much did it cost you?
Old 01-01-2005, 03:12 PM
BigCat44

I just read through the 4 pages and the first thought that comes to mind is I want my time back. That was freaking ridiculous reading. EVERY company has complaints or minor flaws. I have dealt with Custommaxima/CE since 2002 and have never experienced a problem with their product or their customer service. I don't care if they are a donating or sponsor of any site. I'm not sure where they did you wrong nor do I care, your comment about how they R&D a product I'm sure could easily be answered in the forum by the contributing member that allowed his car to be the test vehicle for the product. My pipe cost me $199 or 220 shipped. The product arrived quickly as advertised and the quality is top notch. Since you are so concerned that they are making false claiims of improved performance why not check out the video of the installed pipe or get a friend that has one to take you for a ride. My SOP dyno shows definate improvement in Throttle response and (so far) low end to mid range power. During the install I had some questions regarding hardware and immediately recieved a response from the President of the comany requesting more info into my concerns, he quickly resolved any future issues and responded to mine and future customer's needs. I'll be putting my car on a dyno in the next few months not for the sake of my Y-pipe but because I am sitting at 6000 some odd feet and will be moving to sea level soon and I would like to see a power comparison.

Old 01-01-2005, 03:24 PM

??

What you don't know can't hurt you. Right?

I am also VERY happy for you and the pride you take in your car. I'm sure you work very hard to afford it.

BTW. As one who designs high end, quality aftermarket products for European cars, I now think the Max is a great market to tackle....make cheap products to flip for a quick buck with no concern about quality or actual design. "Oh, it's stainless steel", So what!

And, the torque steer on high bhp front wheel drive cars is terrible any way you fry it. Try getting the car to stick before doing any mods w/ HUGE HP gains with a little creative susp. work (whoa! that's a bit much R&D).

Boy. I'm glad I gave my gf the 04 Max and a set of Blizzak LM-22's so she doesn't kill herself. I'll keep my 97 S6 (bought the Max as commuter car to replace and gave it up 2 weeks later), 00 XJR and 03 S8 any day. For a mass produced car such as the Max, you would think there would be better quality aftermarket support for it. Not just co's that know they can make a buck.

$1000 is on the table for any answers to the link I posted above (you didn't answer my ?). Unfortunately, I already know the answers as I've been by there before. There ain't a tool in the damn place Just a few third world quality accessories in a huge warehouse that you pay for
Old 01-01-2005, 04:52 PM

BTW. As one who designs high end, quality aftermarket products for European cars, I now think the Max is a great market to tackle....make cheap products to flip for a quick buck with no concern about quality or actual design. "Oh, it's stainless steel", So what!
Great. When your products come out for the Maxima we'll be glad to see them. When will that be?

It's not appropriate to keep on complaining about a product you have no interest in. You've made your point about your experience with Custom Maxima products. You've posted the link to the thread about them. It's clear you are not going to be buying a Y-Pipe.

Lets all just move on from here.

Hell I want to buy one even more now.

CM
Old 01-01-2005, 05:30 PM

I dont take advice from someone who has 14 post very serious. Especially when you come on here bashing a product that you have no first hand experience with.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
BigCat44

Yeah this is pretty much pointless.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Custommaxima.com

celica: I'm sorry we will be closed on the 1st, but will be open on Monday the third. Call and speak to myself or any of our other sales reps. Make sure to mention you are from maxima.org and we will give you an additional discount.

6thGenMax: Yeah come on down to pick it up, just call ahead of time so we can have it ready for you. We unfortunately do not do installations here but we have a great shop nearby that can do it for you pretty cheap.

trendsetter434: A little advice, it is not a good idea picking fights with other members and degrading the maxima community especially when you are a newbie. Most people on this forum have been on here for years and have quite a bit of knowledge and experience with Maximas. Every customer that has purchased our y-pipe has been very pleased, maybe you should try it before you bad mouth it. We have been a big supporter of Maxima.org for a while now and one of the big reasons why this forum can continue to grow and expand is because of our monetary contribution. We choose to support Maxima.org not because we "need to" but rather want to support this forum and see it become more successful. Doug the new moderator is a great guy and has plans this coming summer how we can work together more which will only benefit the members in the end.

BigCat44: It was good to talk to you the other day, thank you again for your input we are using that to improve the product even more.

Happy New Year Everyone.

Sincerely,
Greg
CustomEnterprise.com

Old 01-02-2005, 02:49 PM

hey greg I sent you a PM but I dunno if you got it. I was wandering how the sound was with the greddy and the Y pipe? Just curious if it makes the greddy a lot louder and if it gained more with the greddy than with the stock exhaust? thanks!

Hopefully Il be placing my order tommorrow
Old 01-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Custommaxima.com

sorry have not checked my PM's in a while, I'll check it now and respond to them.

-Greg

Old 01-02-2005, 03:20 PM

wha time monday do u close? might not have time till 6:30 pm to call
Old 01-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Custommaxima.com

We are open 9am-5:30pm est time.

Thanks,
greg

Old 01-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Your point? I also have read that and do have concerns with CE. I am watching and reading everyones post. I have called and talked to Gregs workers. Greg and his guys seems to be really trying to turn things around. I have yet to place an order, but things are looking good.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:01 AM
BigCat44

Trend: I like the comment on working on High end euro car performace yet you don't own a high end euro? How's the XJR? Like driving a Ford Contour!! If you are offering $1000 for me to show you a difference in HP (ie; dyno sheets)between the CE and stock configurations then let me know and have your money ready, if not then do us all a favor and STFU especially regarding something you obviously know nothing about.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigCat44
Trend: I like the comment on working on High end euro car performace yet you don't own a high end euro? How's the XJR? Like driving a Ford Contour!! If you are offering $1000 for me to show you a difference in HP (ie; dyno sheets)between the CE and stock configurations then let me know and have your money ready, if not then do us all a favor and STFU especially regarding something you obviously know nothing about.
I'll take your money as well..Just come to my house and i'll show you dyno sheets, the same ones that are posted on the CE website since it was I that dyno'd the pipe for them. But who am I to tell you what to beleive and not to..

Sorry if i'm rude, i've been gone for a while and came back to the BS Flag raised on my hard work and money.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM

We are open 9am-5:30pm est time.

Thanks,
greg
ordered the y-pipe from yall today butthe guy said yall don't have any install kits in stock. so do u know when yall wil be restockin?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Custommaxima.com

They must have been mistaken, we have over 200 installation kits in stock. Your order will be shipped out asap.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 PM

so do i have to call bac tomorrow to order the kit cuz i only paid for the y-pipe?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 PM

I ordered a y pipe to for my 6 speed 05 Max. I didnt know I needed an install kit, do I? WHat is an install kit?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Custommaxima.com

Well we don't have install kits for 2004+ Maximas just yet, we are having them produced right now. But for the 95-98 y-pipes we have 200+ in stock now.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM

ok thanks for the help
Old 01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
heyitsme

candian ****: The auto pipe is on sale as we are trying to get alot out there and recoup some of the tooling costs that went into the part. The manual pipe is out of stock now but we hope to have them before Christmas.

We only have a few of the automatic trans pipes in stock now. After they are sold out it will be a few weeks before we can get a hold of some more. So if you want them for a Christmas present order this week or you may not see it until after new years.

Check our our site, I just put up the dyno results on James auto 2004 maxima. 12 hp and 11ft lbs torque to the wheels!!! I expect to see more on the manual. Dyno results on the manual will be next week on the prototype.

http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design004

Thanks,
Greg
Custom Enterprise
CustomMaxima.com
um..where is the TQ? i have seen 02 6spds with a y and intake put down 218/228...

Old 01-04-2005, 05:31 PM
BigCat44

ding.ding.ding..yup thats the BS alarm!! Check out this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....03#post3116803

Quick Reply: custom enterprise y-pipe