6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a supercharger for around $3500?
Yes
81.97%
No
18.03%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger Kit Interest

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SSR I am very interested in a bolt on supercharger kit. I have a few questions regarding the installation. Would the average mechanic be able to do the installation? Will there be complete installation instructions with the kit? How long should I expect the install to take? Will I need any special factory tools? I would also consider having the install done locally. Any suggestions for the Orlando area?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:34 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

1-2 days for an install. An average mechanic should probably be able to do it, based on where ssr is planning on mounting the bracket.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by motionpro
SSR I am very interested in a bolt on supercharger kit. I have a few questions regarding the installation. Would the average mechanic be able to do the installation? Will there be complete installation instructions with the kit? How long should I expect the install to take? Will I need any special factory tools? I would also consider having the install done locally. Any suggestions for the Orlando area?
Yes the average mechanic should be able to do the installation, it's alot more simple then a turbo kit. You should be able to install the supercharger system in a full day with a decent set of tools.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:31 PM

Man I would really be down for this if the price was reasonable. Coming from a honda the prices just seem high. anyways If this actually went though I would probably save for it.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Just so everyone knows, SSR makes high quality kits with awesome welds. Just take a look at their site.

If I was in the CA/AZ area, my car would have been the donor for the 4th gen kit.

Steve
Old 11-28-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
Just so everyone knows, SSR makes high quality kits with awesome welds. Just take a look at their site.

If I was in the CA/AZ area, my car would have been the donor for the 4th gen kit.

Steve
Just for reference I'll post some pictures of our work

These are the standard turbo manifolds for our G35 Twin Turbo Kit
(equal length 321 stainless)

RX-8 Turbo Kit

Project Supra
Old 11-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

will this setup work for 5.5 gen maxima? if it is i would be on for a stage 1
Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
BigCat44

I may be very interested in being the donor car, please email me at bigcat44@comcast.net and give me some more specifics if you have them!

Old 11-28-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by redmax2nv
will this setup work for 5.5 gen maxima? if it is i would be on for a stage 1
It should when we get our 5.5 in for the turbo kit we'll definitely look into it.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
Yes we have been testing the manual tranny, clutch, and motor at 350-400WHP on an Altima 3.5se and everything has held up ok. I would recommend getting a tranny cooler and possibly a VB mod for automatics, to yield full potential of the setup.

SSR Engineering,

Would you care to comment on how/whether a stage one supercharger might
affect the standard Nissan warranty? It seems to me that adding significant extra power may exceed the car's design characteristics. Just because "everything has held up O.K." for a few weeks in an Altima with a comparable motor doesn't necessarily ensure good long-term results for the 6th gen Maxima. My advice to this board: Proceed with caution on this one...
Old 11-28-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
SSR Engineering,

Would you care to comment on how/whether a stage one supercharger might
affect the standard Nissan warranty? It seems to me that adding significant extra power may exceed the car's design characteristics. Just because "everything has held up O.K." for a few weeks in an Altima with a comparable motor doesn't necessarily ensure good long-term results for the 6th gen Maxima. My advice to this board: Proceed with caution on this one...
It actually wasn't a few weeks, we have been testing our turbo system on the altima for nearly a year now, that includes long road trips, plenty of races, daily driving etc. I would say there has probably been around 10,000 miles put on the altima with our turbo system, and the only thing to fail was a header gasket. Also we tested our G35C auto at 400WHP for months, there was no slipping tranny, blown motor etc, everything held up fine.

As for the factory powertrain warranty, it will more then likely void it, it however won't "exceed the car's design characteristics" because if a small gain of power exceeded the car's design characteristics then you would probably see more fail in stock form. Mainly since they would be teetering on the edge of reliability in stock form, stock car's are ALWAYS over-engineered.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:39 PM

Very interested - might also be interested in donating car for testing. Live in San Diego not far from Santee. Email me at jiujitsuthug@hotmail.com

THANKS!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
Very interested - might also be interested in donating car for testing. Live in San Diego not far from Santee. Email me at jiujitsuthug@hotmail.com

THANKS!
Hopefully this will work out. I think the problem last time this came up (a few months ago) was that there weren't that many people here with 6th gen maximas... And out of those, there weren't that many in the area willing to part with their car for weeks in exchange for "just" the SC at cost...

I'd hope that now at least we can get SSR cranking with this... I know these polls aren't worth the bits they're made of, but I'm sure there's at least a few people willing to get this once it's finally available.

The sad part is that even if they get the logistics of it worked out with the donor car, we're still looking at like 3 months before we see this -- according to the posts from SSR above. Now that SUCKS...
Old 11-29-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
As for the factory powertrain warranty, it will more then likely void it, it however won't "exceed the car's design characteristics" because if a small gain of power exceeded the car's design characteristics then you would probably see more fail in stock form. Mainly since they would be teetering on the edge of reliability in stock form, stock car's are ALWAYS over-engineered.
That doesn't mean that you can't take it off and try to do the whole warranty thing. You could just say that you didn't know what happened.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:47 PM

That doesn't mean that you can't take it off and try to do the whole warranty thing. You could just say that you didn't know what happened.
Right but coming from an honest company we tend to look the other way on that one.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:25 PM

yes, but i know that some people would take advantage of that.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM

Alright... so we have (at least) 38 votes -- so that's like 5 people actually interested? -- and 2 people possibly interested in making their cars available. It would be really nice if this thing was available by the time spring rolls around...
Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
Alright... so we have (at least) 38 votes -- so that's like 5 people actually interested? -- and 2 people possibly interested in making their cars available. It would be really nice if this thing was available by the time spring rolls around...
It would take about 8 weeks to release after the time we get it. So that sounds about right.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:58 PM

You mean, you say that when the Nissan tech asks you why you have supercharger mounting holes drilled in your engine bay?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:10 PM

there are plenty of stock mounting points that you can use to mount the bracket.

ssr-where will this be mounted? are you going to mount it over on the battery side and run a drive shaft over to the belt side?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:58 AM

there are plenty of stock mounting points that you can use to mount the bracket.

ssr-where will this be mounted? are you going to mount it over on the battery side and run a drive shaft over to the belt side?
it will probably be mounted on the belt side
Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 AM

I'd be interested but it wouldn't be for a while. I mean...a while. Would this be a standard kit that you will offer for sale all the time? Or are you trying to get interest together, see if it's worth it and sell what you have to etc and drop it. I'd hate to see it come to life for a while and then dropped due to lack of interest. This would be bad for people like me who want it but have to save for it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
I'd be interested but it wouldn't be for a while. I mean...a while. Would this be a standard kit that you will offer for sale all the time? Or are you trying to get interest together, see if it's worth it and sell what you have to etc and drop it. I'd hate to see it come to life for a while and then dropped due to lack of interest. This would be bad for people like me who want it but have to save for it.
It would be a product that we would carry for a while, probably long enough for anyone that is interested in it to purchase it.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Count me in....
Old 12-02-2004, 09:12 AM

SSR Engineering, I'd be interested in donating my vehicle to you for fitting and testing. Email me at chris@chrisaustin.us for more information Thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
SSR Engineering, I'd be interested in donating my vehicle to you for fitting and testing. Email me at chris@chrisaustin.us for more information Thanks!
Damnit... chrisaust has to have all the cool toys... the blue LED screen, the supercharger...

Well with all the supposed interest shown in this poll and up to 3 possible candidates for testing, I would assume that SSR is polishing up that CNC and we should be getting this thing in a couple of months...

Right?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 AM

Hehe, I know I know... but I love the fact that I'm the only one with the blue screen... Even had the Nissan guys drooling over it when I took my car in to get the skyview replaced under the recall... What other toy can I add that I can't afford? Hmmmm....
Old 12-03-2004, 10:55 AM

Chrisaust: How did you get a blue LED screen and where did you get it? Do you have pics?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Chrisaust: How did you get a blue LED screen and where did you get it? Do you have pics?
You're kidding, right?

Check the how-to... he's got almost a book worth of posts about his saga getting the LEDs changed.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM

He didnt get it from anywhere. He did a custom job himself. Im sure it wasnt easy either.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 PM

SSR - Since Stillen does does not offer a supercharger for my 2002 6spd, I would definitely be interested in adding 100 supercharged horses for $2500 or so (before group deal).

Please keep the 5th gen forum posted on this one, too.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ripper
SSR - Since Stillen does does not offer a supercharger for my 2002 6spd, I would definitely be interested in adding 100 supercharged horses for $2500 or so (before group deal).

Please keep the 5th gen forum posted on this one, too.
$2500 would be nearly impossible considering supercharger units cost around $1800-$2500 alone, not inlcuding brackets, belts, piping etc.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:23 PM

Ok, sorry for the noob question, but how would a supercharger like this one affect gas mileage? Would this be suitable for a (mostly) daily driver with occaisonal 'spirited' driving?

Also, I would imagine that the torque steer would become really bad after adding another +/-100HP... sounds fun.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:43 AM

Keep both ahnds on the steering wheel!!:-)
Old 12-05-2004, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Ok, sorry for the noob question, but how would a supercharger like this one affect gas mileage? Would this be suitable for a (mostly) daily driver with occaisonal 'spirited' driving?

Also, I would imagine that the torque steer would become really bad after adding another +/-100HP... sounds fun.
Yes actually this would be an excellent product for daily driving, it has low maintnence requirements since it is self-oiling. It is simple for installation and very practical for daily driving, since it uses the stock injectors etc and remains very basic.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:24 AM

do you know how much power the 5.5 gen auto trannies can hold? I wouldn't want the tranny dying on me after installing the S/C. But then again, that's what warranties are for.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by steaLthyMax
do you know how much power the 5.5 gen auto trannies can hold? I wouldn't want the tranny dying on me after installing the S/C. But then again, that's what warranties are for.

Think again, my brother. That is NOT what warranties are for!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:58 AM

So your saying a warranty is not used for fixing something that goes wrong with the vehicle? Well have fun if you ever have a problem and need it fixed. You will be spending a lot of money if your not going to have it fixed under warranty. I dont think a dealership would warranty something after a SC is installed but if thats the case, just remove it.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
So your saying a warranty is not used for fixing something that goes wrong with the vehicle? Well have fun if you ever have a problem and need it fixed. You will be spending a lot of money if your not going to have it fixed under warranty. I dont think a dealership would warranty something after a SC is installed but if thats the case, just remove it.
They sure and the hell can.....the power of an added SC or Turbo can wear engine parts in the dealers mind. Added torque and HP. I DARE ANYONE to take a car with a bumper to bumber warranty and a SC mounted and tell them the trans failed, I can tell you they will blame it on the SC hands down. Also, removing all the SC stuff will be no easy task to take it in for warranty work if something goes wrong.

Hey, a SC for our car would be awsome....great one is being developed. Now, if you think you can slap a non Nissan part on that increases power and torque and come running to the dealer if something breaks.....you have another thing coming. Can they relate drivetrain failure or engine failure to the addition of an aftermarket SC.....you bet they can. Just my 2 cents but want to keep everything real with warranty issues. Hell, I have seen GM void MAF issues on the fact of a K&N filter that was overoiled....that is a small part. Trans and engine are not cheap. One the warranty goes out on my car, SC here I come.....by then, I imagine quite a few will be around, some pretty cheap.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Notice the smilie, to indicate the sarcasm. I do not expect the dealer to uphold the warranty if I have a s/c bolted on. However, one can still try to have the problematic area fixed, and the worse they can say is no. I would think someone would take off the S/C before they go see the dealer, and wouldn't even mention it. BTW, Tranny warranties are 5y/60k.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit Interest