6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a supercharger for around $3500?
Yes
81.97%
No
18.03%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger Kit Interest

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 11:50 AM

Supercharger Kit Interest

Some of you might have seen the 04-05 maxima supercharger post in the forced induction section, looking for possible supercharger systems for the maxima. Well as most of you found out there isn't one out yet, however we are interested in making the supercharger kit if there is enough interest

Would you be interested in purchasing a supercharger kit for around $3500?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well I voted yes, but obviously it'd be good to know what kind of projected gains you're bound to see with this setup. The price sounds good, as long as it's a good increase in HP at the wheels...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:59 AM

i also voted yes but like viguera stated it would be good to know what gains we could hope to see
Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs04SE
i also voted yes but like viguera stated it would be good to know what gains we could hope to see
Supercharger kits are generally expensive because compared to turbochargers the supercharer unit its self usually costs about $2000 where as a t3/t4 turbo is around $600. The kit would be comparable to the 4th gen stillen kit in terms of components, and power gains should be significant. I would say you could probably see an extra %40 increase in power.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
Supercharger kits are generally expensive because compared to turbochargers the supercharer unit its self usually costs about $2000 where as a t3/t4 turbo is around $600. The kit would be comparable to the 4th gen stillen kit in terms of components, and power gains should be significant. I would say you could probably see an extra %40 increase in power.
If you're telling me SSR is gonna guarantee about 40% increase, just let me know where to send the money.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM

I have another (probably stupid) question... I'm basically new to FI, but I assume that it would be stupid to assume that you can just plug the SC to a stock Maxima and expect miracles. What mods are we looking at to get the absolute maximum performance out of something like this?

Looks like I'm throwing out my old x-mas list...
Old 11-26-2004, 12:29 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i would think that it would be a little early to go ahead and make an upgraded parts list.

I think it would be safe to say
-smaller pulley (more boost)
-bov
-emanage or safc
-intank fuel pump (if ssr is going with an inline, which is easier to use.)

ssr have you thought about having a return style fuel system setup or a continuous pressure?

I would talk with pimp juice about his turbo setup and some of the tuning issues that he had to overcome with the stock fuel system.

Also, what sort of psi would you be looking into?
steve
Old 11-26-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
i would think that it would be a little early to go ahead and make an upgraded parts list.

I think it would be safe to say
-smaller pulley (more boost)
-bov
-emanage or safc
-intank fuel pump (if ssr is going with an inline, which is easier to use.)

ssr have you thought about having a return style fuel system setup or a continuous pressure?

I would talk with pimp juice about his turbo setup and some of the tuning issues that he had to overcome with the stock fuel system.

Also, what sort of psi would you be looking into?
steve
Yes, we actually have a return style fuel system on our 2002 Altima 3.5 Turbo, with upgraded injectors, rising rate fpr, and no tuning problems.

For the standard kit we would probably produce with about 5.5 to 6 psi.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
I have another (probably stupid) question... I'm basically new to FI, but I assume that it would be stupid to assume that you can just plug the SC to a stock Maxima and expect miracles. What mods are we looking at to get the absolute maximum performance out of something like this?

Looks like I'm throwing out my old x-mas list...
The good thing with this is that bolt-on mods don't counter the effects of the supercharger, like headers and a turbo. all of your n/a mods will benefit the performance potential of your supercharger system, i.e. headers, exhaust, pulleys etc etc.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:46 PM

The good thing with this is that bolt-on mods don't counter the effects of the supercharger, like headers and a turbo. all of your n/a mods will benefit the performance potential of your supercharger system, i.e. headers, exhaust, pulleys etc etc.
So basically you're saying "keep bolting" to get the car as upgraded as possible while NA, then when the supercharger is actually developed it will only make the whole thing even more worthwhile...

And while obviously it's still early to start dreaming, it would seem that adding a supercharger on top of a reasonable exhaust/UDP/etc setup can net... (dare we dream?) 300ish at the wheels?

Excuse me, I need a moist towel...
Old 11-26-2004, 12:48 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I just bought a 2004 so hell yea!!!!!!!! I can be a a test car if you like...........
Old 11-26-2004, 01:28 PM

I have voted a resounding yes as well. My only question regarding a return fuel setup has been answered so let's get it started.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by slimer
Well I think it's early to start buying things under the assumption that the SC will ever get made, but there are things out there that people should seriously consider before they go ahead and grab one of these things and tie it to a bone-stock car...

Right off the bat I'd imagine that any reasonable suspension upgrades and possibly a BBK would come in quite handy before people decide to propel the car from 265 to 350+ -- otherwise the first set of threads would be "Supercharged 6th Gen vs. the wall [PICS]" and "Supercharged 6th Gen vs. oncoming traffic [PICS]"

And at least those are things that don't hurt to just have... so even if SSR decides to keep quiet for 5 months (again ), at least it's not all for nothing.

/ my 2 cents
Old 11-26-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
I have voted a resounding yes as well. My only question regarding a return fuel setup has been answered so let's get it started.
The basic supercharger system probably won't come with a return fuel setup.

Also, if we could get a group buy of 5-10 people there's no reason we couldn't knock off around $500 from the retail price of the kit.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh hi....

Would there be any chance that this would fit the 5.5th gen maximas with some minor modifications. I know you had a hard time getting volunteers for the 2k2/3 turbo kit, but i was just curious, a SC seems more appealing to me.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:26 PM

So that begs the question... are you planning some sort of "basic" vs. "extreme!" model? The "x" makes it cool, you know?

Also, if we could get a group buy of 5-10 people there's no reason we couldn't knock off around $500 from the retail price of the kit.
Well obviously you can't gauge interest by what you see over the next couple of days, as most people are out of town or tied up with the holiday. It's only the lucky few of us that end up getting paid to "work" browsing the .org all day long...

Still, I'd imagine that it should be REALLY easy to come up with 5-10 6th gen owners that will drop $3k for a 40% increase in juice. Organizing a group deal when you're talking about that much money might be finicky, but it's doable...
Old 11-26-2004, 02:57 PM

If that is the case, is the 40% increase in power from the "basic" kit? If not, what power levels are you presuming the "basic" kit will produce? Also, although it's early in the game, what differences would there be between the basic kit and other stages
Old 11-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SSR- A 40% increase in hp is about 100 more, taking it to about 365 or so, which I think is very reasonable. Is it possible to do this without any hood mods like other SC companies have?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
SSR- A 40% increase in hp is about 100 more, taking it to about 365 or so, which I think is very reasonable. Is it possible to do this without any hood mods like other SC companies have?
Yes, it is very possible. The only reason you see hood modifications is because people are stacking the superchargers on top of the intake manifold (roots type) superchargers. we are using centrifugal type superchargers which are placed right next to the accessories (a/c, power steering etc.)
Old 11-26-2004, 03:29 PM

So that begs the question... are you planning some sort of "basic" vs. "extreme!" model? The "x" makes it cool, you know?

Well obviously you can't gauge interest by what you see over the next couple of days, as most people are out of town or tied up with the holiday. It's only the lucky few of us that end up getting paid to "work" browsing the .org all day long...

Still, I'd imagine that it should be REALLY easy to come up with 5-10 6th gen owners that will drop $3k for a 40% increase in juice. Organizing a group deal when you're talking about that much money might be finicky, but it's doable...
Yes we are planning a basic vs extreme model. The basic model will have obviously less components, and less horsepower (more simple). The extreme model will have more boost, more fuel, more components and... more power!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:50 PM

Yes we are planning a basic vs extreme model. The basic model will have obviously less components, and less horsepower (more simple). The extreme model will have more boost, more fuel, more components and... more power!
Well forgive me for not jumping up with joy, but obviously that introduces even more questions...

Of course it's too early to tell, and you guys are just gauging interest now, but what exactly are we talking about then? For $3k I think everybody's thinking that it's too good to be true, and quite frankly there were a couple of threads before that got people's interest but never produced anything... granted, you have more equipment in the shop now to handle things, and if there's enough people with money on hand I don't doubt you'll produce anything they want, but if things are not clear from the get-go most people are just gonna think it's some sort of bait-and-switch type of thing...

So just for ****s and giggles, what are we talking about?

* A "basic" centrigual SC kit, with no return fuel setup, producing X amount of estimated HP gain, retailing for $Y.

* The "extreme!" edition SC kit, with [fill in the blank], producing [fill in the blank] estimated HP gain, retailing for an estimated $[whatever].

All I'm saying is that talk is cheap... if you start talking about it and we put together $30k to buy 10 of these things, can you deliver and by when? And what exactly are we getting?

I know other people are thinking it, I'm just posting about it...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:14 PM

Ditto...

Well forgive me for not jumping up with joy, but obviously that introduces even more questions...

Of course it's too early to tell, and you guys are just gauging interest now, but what exactly are we talking about then? For $3k I think everybody's thinking that it's too good to be true, and quite frankly there were a couple of threads before that got people's interest but never produced anything... granted, you have more equipment in the shop now to handle things, and if there's enough people with money on hand I don't doubt you'll produce anything they want, but if things are not clear from the get-go most people are just gonna think it's some sort of bait-and-switch type of thing...

* A "basic" centrigual SC kit, with no return fuel setup, producing X amount of estimated HP gain, retailing for $Y.

* The "extreme!" edition SC kit, with [fill in the blank], producing [fill in the blank] estimated HP gain, retailing for an estimated $[whatever].

All I'm saying is that talk is cheap... if you start talking about it and we put together $30k to buy 10 of these things, can you deliver and by when? And what exactly are we getting?

Viguera asked some great questions.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:19 PM

This is probably how it will be broken down

Stage 1 (basic) +-$3500 350HP
- Vortech/Procharger Centrifugal Supercharger
- CNC Mounting bracket
- 3'' Charge piping
- Belts
- Hoses, clamps, connectors
- Piggy back fuel system (pre-tuned)
- Oil lines (if necessary)
- 2.5'' - 3'' Intake
- K&N Filter
- Other misc accessories (if needed)

Stage 2 (extreme) $5000?
- Centrifugal Supercharger (Self-contained)
- Spearco Intercooler
- 3'' 6061 Aluminum Intercooler Piping
- HKS SSQV BOV
- 2.5'' - 3'' 6061 Aluminum Intake (CAI)
- K&N Air Filter
- 440cc Injectors
- SX 1:1 Rising Rate FPR
- Fuel Return System
- Inline or Intank Fuel Pump
- Smaller Pulley (more boost)
- CNC Mounting Bracket
- Belts
- Hoses, Clamps and Connectors
- Product polishing

It's really early to start throwing out pricing numbers because we don't know what exactly is needed to make this work. We can give an estimate and obviosuly right now we are shooting to get this stage 1 s/c system out at around $3500.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, that actually helps a lot.

But one more thing...

Seeing how you're talking about intake/filter in both cases and a BOV and pulley in the bigger edition, I assume that you're better off not upgrading those parts if you currently have them as stock?

An intake, filter & pulley setup add up to a sizeable chunk of change when you buy them separate... will the SC kit be sold as a unit, where you get EVERYTHING or can you piecemeal out the parts that you need?

Also, I know it's a longshot, but is there an option to move up a stage? Say you start off with basic and want to upgrade to the bigger version down the road?

And while everybody knows they're estimates, can you guesstimate the hp gain with the extreme! edition?

Again, I know it's early but obviously if we don't move past the discussion stage it's never gonna happen. There are already 17 votes for "yes" -- which means that about 5 people are ready to go for this right now...
Old 11-27-2004, 06:05 PM

Count me in!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:56 PM

Count me in too. Estimation for completion date SSR?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:45 AM

Also, will the SC be smog legal in calif and other states? If so, how long for CARB approval?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 AM

Also, will the SC be smog legal in calif and other states? If so, how long for CARB approval?
You know thats actually an interesting question, we could probably have a pending carb approval with a stage 1 supercharger kit.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:59 AM

You know thats actually an interesting question, we could probably have a pending carb approval with a stage 1 supercharger kit. Considering that we do not own a 6th generation maxima, we would need to borrow someones car for quite some time, especially CARB testing.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:33 AM

Excuse my ignorance on this one, but there shouldn't be too big of a trouble to produce these superchargers. Stillen currently sells similarstages of superchargers for the 350z. Isn't it the same engine?

And yes, I'm very interested in a supercharger kit if theres little risk of burning the whole thing out.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:34 AM

You know thats actually an interesting question, we could probably have a pending carb approval with a stage 1 supercharger kit. Considering that we do not own a 6th generation maxima, we would need to borrow someones car for quite some time, especially CARB testing.
does the owner get the SC for free after the test?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

it would probably be at cost.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
Probably not. When they were looking for a 5G donor car, they were giving the parts at cost and free installation and tuning.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by AngryPotato
Excuse my ignorance on this one, but there shouldn't be too big of a trouble to produce these superchargers. Stillen currently sells similarstages of superchargers for the 350z. Isn't it the same engine?

And yes, I'm very interested in a supercharger kit if theres little risk of burning the whole thing out.
RWD versus FWD, and the Stillen is a roots blower that mounts to the top of the intake manifold. Centrifugal blowers will be below the hoodline as SSR has mentioned, thus allowing you to stay with the stock hood
Old 11-28-2004, 10:30 AM

It will be at cost, with free installation and tuning.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:54 AM

It will be at cost, with free installation and tuning.
ok, ya'll wouldn't know how much would you, and how long will the car be with you? where are you guys located?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 AM

SSR - Im wondering if a Stage One kit is installed, would the the stock motor and tranny be up to the task? I have the awesome 6 speed manual. Auto tranny owners may wonder if their slushbox will be up to the task as well.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:06 AM

ok, ya'll wouldn't know how much would you, and how long will the car be with you? where are you guys located?
All of that information has to be discussed in private, i think we need the car for around 6 weeks, and we are located in santee, ca
Old 11-28-2004, 11:26 AM

I figured ya'll were in cali, I'm on the other side of the usa from ya'll. maybe a cali maxima will take the deal.

good luck to the guinea pig................
Old 11-28-2004, 12:05 PM

SSR - Im wondering if a Stage One kit is installed, would the the stock motor and tranny be up to the task? I have the awesome 6 speed manual. Auto tranny owners may wonder if their slushbox will be up to the task as well.
Yes we have been testing the manual tranny, clutch, and motor at 350-400WHP on an Altima 3.5se and everything has held up ok. I would recommend getting a tranny cooler and possibly a VB mod for automatics, to yield full potential of the setup.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit Interest