6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aaarrrggggh!!!! CD Player

Old 12-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aaarrrggggh!!!! CD Player

Like some of you, my CD player is starting to cut out on the left channel. It usually happens after the car has been sitting awhile. I can correct it by either switching to another CD, or slapping the dash above it.

Knowing that the dealer won't replace it unless they hear it themselves, I was fortunate to be working near their location this morning when the symptom came back. "Great" I said to myself. "I'll swing on by the dealer and have them verify while on going to the work location."

I'm pulling into the dealer's service drive and am not 20 feet from the entrance, when I unexpectedly go over a newly installed speed bump. Yup, you guessed it. The damn thing immediately started playing the left channel loud and clear.

I gave the dealer a shot anyway, but as the story goes, if they can't reproduce it, they won't fix it. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:22 PM

Mine used to do this too and I didn't want them to pull the interior car apart.
I did notice that if I smack the side of the CD player (kind of near where your right leg bends when seated) that the CD player would play from all speakers. Then it would happen again.

One day I got so pissed (the sound reverted back to coming out of only the right side speakers) that I pounded the side of the CD player with my fist a few times, I mean really hard (I even got dust spewed up on the information screen). It fixed it and it hasn't done it again.
I don't know what's up with only the CD player cutting out the sound on the left channel but pounding the hell out of it fixed it for me and took care of my frustrations at the same time.
Be careful not to break your wrist...the plastic is strong.