6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

JIC Coilovers coming spring time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 AM
aka The Doom Ship

JIC Coilovers coming spring time

Just called JIC-Magic and here's the info on the coilovers for the 6th Gen:

All the work and testing are completed and the information have been sent to JIC of Japan. The coilovers should be available sometime during the spring. According to the rep the 6th Gen setup is similar to the 350Z so we're looking at MSRP above 2 grand. The FLTA2, their flagship coilover will be the first to come out.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:00 PM

That's great, too bad it's too expensive.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:07 PM

that's alot of coin
Old 12-10-2004, 01:36 PM

$2000 for a suspension setup that isn't going to see track use is.... well, ahelluvalot of $$$. I'd bet my last buck that there is not one '04 Max on this board that's going to see any significant track use.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

damn!! 890
Old 12-11-2004, 06:32 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I know it's expensive but it may be an alternative to the faulty struts. I have a bad strut already.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really dont understand, you can buy a $30,000+ car but can't spend 2 g's on suspension?? I'm waiting for coilovers just beca use of the gap in the front wheel well and the sagging rear, everyone knows what that means. When its all said and done, coilovers are the way to go.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:02 AM

wonder if they are going to make the flt-a1's for the 6th gens. it's what i have on my 5gen. probably just throwing these out first so the anxious people shell out the loot for it early.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:45 AM

I think that it's kind of funny that when the price of a product is said to be too much, people bring up the old line, "you can buy a $30,000+ car but can't spend...". I can't speak for everyone here, but it's not a matter of being able to afford the suspension. It's a matter of whether or not a $2,000 suspension is even needed. You know, it's all personal preference. If getting rid of the front wheel gap is worth $2grand, that's great. To me, I could find a much better reason to blow $2G than getting rid of my front wheel gap.

With all that said, if they made a coilover closer to $1G, then I'd be more receptive to the idea (any coilover makers listening?)
Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I think the 6th gens will better utilize coilovers because the independent rear suspension. It'll be interesting to see how they perform.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

come on, a 30k-35k dollar max depending on your options. you gotta want the best for it, and 2k dollar suspension would be the way to go as for the stock struts suck & the max doesnt exactly sit correctly looking stock. so yes, track or no track the JIC setup being 2k whatever. its gonna be well worth it
Old 12-13-2004, 05:18 AM

I agree that coilovers will work great for the 6th gen. I wish I could afford them really.. I like some others feel like 2000 is a very expensive way to do your suspension. Don't get me wrong though if I have 2K to spare I will definitely love to buy them. With a new house and a 30K car I doubt I'll have that to spare.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
I know it's expensive but it may be an alternative to the faulty struts. I have a bad strut already.
We already have an alternative to the faulty struts

ActiveTuning Custom Adjustable Koni Front Struts

ActiveTuning Custom KYB AGX Rear Shocks
Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
Good post! I didn't know there was an alternative. Does anyone have this setup already?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:26 PM

Good post! I didn't know there was an alternative. Does anyone have this setup already?
A couple people do, and a lot of 02-04 Altima guys have it (same platform as you guys). There have been nothing but amazing responses to how this setup performs.

Just an FYI for anybody, Koni's are on national backorder until the beginning of January for the front struts we modify, and everything we have in stock already has an order for it...so if you were interested in purchasing, you may do so, and it would get you on the waiting list, but we can't do the Koni's until we get more in.

Here's some recent responses to one post on Altimas.net for an Altima guy:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178594

.......... i finally got the chance to test it today!!!!!! ...........

the installed was ok......it took us a little bit longer because lack of proper tools..... but it shouldn t take more than 2 hours w/ the right tools.

after installing all 4 of them i left it on the softer setting for and i drove it for few miles................the suspension felt better than stock and nice and soft....... but that s not what i was interested on , untill today when i tested the potential of the sport suspension.

I set the front to full stiff and the rear to 4 (out of 8) and headed out to a Mt Baldy canyon road, along w/ another .net member.....

I swear the car feels like a total different car!!! it feels similar to a Z suspension but in a way better cuz the altima being a longer car doesn t have the rocking back and forth motion that the Z will sometimes exhibits on rough roads.......... this is a suspension that should be consider by guys that take their 3 gens to the tracks, where stock suspension will not get them results that they want when taking on those sharp curves.

I was taking curves that were posted to be 35mph at speeds of 80mph.......... and feel comfortable doing it

When i installed the stillen rear sway bar last year i tested the car almost the same way like today...... taking curves at excesive speed and i couldn t feel confortable taking them any faster than 60 to 65mph..........WHAT AN INPROVEMENT!!!!!!!

thanks Mike and Dave for investing ur time in finding an option in suspension for our cars that have been so neglected by aftermarket companies time and time again.

One last thing ...... this upgrade will work as well when racing the car in a 1/4 mile track .........when launching the car, it doesn t lift from the front as much as with stock suspension.

i m sure as hell that i ll be enjoying this suspension very very much

Active Tunning

albert
damn, full stiff on the front is super stiff. I only have it halfway and it's damn stiff. I just got mine installed with Sportlines a few weeks ago too and they are spectacular. Everything fit perfectly. The suspension is completely changed. My exhaust sits pretty low so a stiff setting is in order for me. Back are on 4 with front halfway. Whoever is looking for a superb suspension, look no further. Active Tuning will take care of you. Very fast service and quick shipping.
Awsome man! I have to say that I haven't had any time to post up on mine, but I absolutely LOVE them! I have mine set to a bit more than half way in the front, and 4 in the rear, and they feel awsome on the turns. Although I still can't test them to their full potential, I will have some new tires on in a few weeks, and I'm expecting them to blow me away. Now that my front is even lower, it makes scraping the headers MUCH easier, but I wouldn't give up the way it looks and handles for anything. Thank you guys for everything!
I was the fortunate membe to get to ride along with a.bertz, HOLY F'ING CRAP! We have the same suspension minus the shocks and struts and my ride compared to his is totally amazing, such a difference. So much tighter. Tight like a virgins ..........!
ok albert took me for a ride and HOLY ****. DAMN!!! WOW!!! All I gotta say is that his car handles incredible now... and he was rolling on the stock tires that were screamin like crazy when he started to really push it. I was really really suprised at how well the body roll is controlled now. The car is just totally planted and even on the stiffest settings the car isnt THAT bad. Its definately alot stiffer than stock but not back jarring or enough to give u a headache. Really love the active tuning setup now... very impressed...
Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM

I have the active tuning struts and they are awesome..
Old 12-14-2004, 05:48 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by 04 maxse
I have the active tuning struts and they are awesome..

Thanks for the info guys. BTW D@ActiveTuning, I'll be in your area this Holiday. Yup, I'm driving from Texas to Maryland then New York. I'm going to be away from home until the new year and I don't want to be away from my Max that long so I'm driving.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys. BTW D@ActiveTuning, I'll be in your area this Holiday. Yup, I'm driving from Texas to Maryland then New York. I'm going to be away from home until the new year and I don't want to be away from my Max that long so I'm driving.
Our business (manufacturing side of things) is located in Wisconsin if you were interested in stopping by, so that's a bit out of the way lol

What of part MD will you be in, and when? I'll be home in NJ for the holidays, but maybe if we're both in the same area of MD at the same, we can meet up for lunch or coffee and chat cars. PM me so we don't stray away from the topic too much
Old 12-14-2004, 07:50 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

FYI on JIC - I sent them my struts and shocks in the winter of 2002-3 for prototype development work with the promise that I would get them back in 6 weeks. After 6 months, and countless emails of which maybe 50% were replied to with either outright lies or false promises, I finally got my struts back but no shocks. I had to buy new shocks for the car myself. Shortly thereafter, they found my old shocks and sent them and I pitched them in the trash. To this day I never received another email from JIC, nor have they produced a product for the '02+ Altimas. If they had, it would fit the Maximas now too. So don't hold your breath, or expect much in the way of customer service if the product actually does materialize.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Are they $2000 because of the new suspension being more complex or because there taking advantage because its made off the 350z platform .
Arent teins alot less?