6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone used ABS lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:58 PM

Anyone used ABS lately?

There have been two occasions lately where I've had to brake and swerve at freeway speeds to avoid some ******** who seemed determined to swap paint with me. In both cases, I felt no indication the ABS kicked in (that is, no pulsing of the brake pedal, etc.), and the tires made that awful squalling sound as they bit into the pavement.

Now, I've invoked ABS a couple times on other cars, and I would have expected it to have come into play in these two stops. But it didn't.

So, I'm wondering - have any of you had an ABS stop in your 6th Gen? Did you have to really stomp on the brake to make it happen? (Yeah, I know I could test mine on a deserted street somewhere, but I hate what panic stops do to brake rotors and tires, so I'm not into doing that.)

Mike
Old 12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

I usually check my ABS on wet road to see if it's working.
and...mine's working fine...

I used to have 99 prelude which also had ABS. once I hit a curve too fast
and lost control of it (that was on dry road) the car swerved right and left,
and went over the median and landed on the other side lane, luckily there was
no oncoming traffic. If i remember correctly, ABS didn't kick in when the car was swerving. maybe ABS wasn't designed to work when it's skidding on side?? i dunno...
Old 12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

in any of the cars i have owned with ABS, i have never had it kick in on "dry" roads. the only time i could ever feel it "kicking in" is in the snow. when ever i slam on the breaks i never feel it in my 6th gen, or any other car that i have owned or driven with ABS brakes
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Your ABS should be fine and sometimes won't kick in if the sensors dont determine its necessary. If your ABS system doesn't do a self-check after you take off after a start-up, thats when you should worry.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM

Mike,

I have experienced ABS on wet and dry pavement. I used to work for Nissan North America as well (have had training on vehicle systems).

A couple things...

ABS will not "kick in" unless the wheels start to skid (not turning). On dry pavement, you can hear squealing without the brakes locking up, it is the tires gripping the pavement.

In fact, if your ABS had a problem, you would get an error light on the dash, as the self check would identify a problem.

To make ABS kick in on dry pavement, you would have to really hit the brakes. I believe you are fine. But get it checked out the next time you are at the dealer for service.

What dealer do you visit in North Texas? I can recommend a few folks at the dealer if you tell me where you are going.

Tkae care!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by factorymax
Mike,

I have experienced ABS on wet and dry pavement. I used to work for Nissan North America as well (have had training on vehicle systems).

A couple things...

ABS will not "kick in" unless the wheels start to skid (not turning). On dry pavement, you can hear squealing without the brakes locking up, it is the tires gripping the pavement.

In fact, if your ABS had a problem, you would get an error light on the dash, as the self check would identify a problem.

To make ABS kick in on dry pavement, you would have to really hit the brakes. I believe you are fine. But get it checked out the next time you are at the dealer for service.

What dealer do you visit in North Texas? I can recommend a few folks at the dealer if you tell me where you are going.

Tkae care!

That's pretty much what I thought. I do believe, though, that systems from various mfr's have different thresholds. My 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab served up some dry pavement ABS on a couple of occasions, but I think the Nissan ones aren't quite as sensitive.

I got the car at Grubbs Nissan in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Mid-Cities area. It hasn't been back since I took delivery in October of 2003, so I don't know any of the service types.

Mike
Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just tonight I had a run in with my very good friend, Mr. ABS. Coming down 7th in semi-heavy traffic (as always) and I looked down the street for a split second to see if I should have turned, and next thing you know the car in front is getting really big, really really fast... Put the foot down on the brake and it kicked in for sure...

Haven't had the need for it on the highway, but I usually drive so that there's nobody anywhere near me... and the people in front don't stay in front for too long...
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Just tonight I had a run in with my very good friend, Mr. ABS. Coming down 7th in semi-heavy traffic (as always) and I looked down the street for a split second to see if I should have turned, and next thing you know the car in front is getting really big, really really fast... Put the foot down on the brake and it kicked in for sure...
same for me. my job is in midtown Manhatten and ABS kicked in twice due to the dumbest drivers on the face of this planet, with Florida drivers 2nd.

ABS definately works on dry pavement, but it depends on several factors such as the type of pavement and vehicle speed. if you're doing 30 mph, and slam on the brakes with 75% force on dry pavement, there is a good chance there is enought traction to keep the tires from locking up.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I got the car at Grubbs Nissan in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Mid-Cities area. It hasn't been back since I took delivery in October of 2003, so I don't know any of the service types.

Mike
That's where I bought my Max too. See Jeff in service and he will take care of you.