6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Here!

Hi, new here, family owns an '04 maxima se.

anyhow i was wondering if not being able to make a U-turn bother any of u?? it seems like it takes 4 lane's in order to make a u-turn... im like that doesnt seem right.... anyhow just want to hear your feed back on this issue.

oh also, i have been reading up on the steering shimmy and dont recall seeing what the symptoms of this problem is/are i.e. does the steering wheel pull to one side? or is it a vibration thing?? etc... anyhow any and all help is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its winter dude. Three words....parking brake slide.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by bored
Hi, new here, family owns an '04 maxima se.

anyhow i was wondering if not being able to make a U-turn bother any of u?? it seems like it takes 4 lane's in order to make a u-turn... im like that doesnt seem right.... anyhow just want to hear your feed back on this issue.

oh also, i have been reading up on the steering shimmy and dont recall seeing what the symptoms of this problem is/are i.e. does the steering wheel pull to one side? or is it a vibration thing?? etc... anyhow any and all help is appreciated.
maxima's are known for their wide turning radius. its annoying but it is a package deal.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 AM

I love my 3 point turns!!! (especially when theres a car approaching...cuz I get gun it and feel the VQ power!!!)
Old 12-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bored
If everthing feels normal - don't bother analyzing or looking for it and just enjoy riving your Max.

BTW...wlecome aboard.

Bob
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 AM

welcome, ive gotten use to my max having a turing radius thats just a bit better than our montero sport but the rest of the car more than makes up for it.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
*moderator*

I make u-turns all the time on 3 lane roads, just gotta get the angle right. I came from driving pick-ups though, so maybe I'm a bit jaded!!

Welcome aboard !!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 PM

The dreaded 'shimmy' is not related to braking problems, or to the car pulling to one side, or to an up-and-down motion usually associated with an out-of-balance tire/wheel.

Drive along a reasonably smooth and straight road where there is light traffic. Very gradually increase your speed from around 30 mph to 70 mph (higher if legal) while holding the steering wheel loosely by your fingertips at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions.

If, at any speed (especially somewhere between 45 and 65 mph) the steering wheel begins vibrating from side-to-side, you have the dreaded 'shimmy'.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by DvSMAXXX04
I love my 3 point turns!!! (especially when theres a car approaching...cuz I get gun it and feel the VQ power!!!)
dvsmax, thats what I was thinking too.

bored, welcome! incase you're still wondering, torque steer is when your car pulls to a side under hard acceleration. This is common with maximas and other front wheel drive cars with lots of horsepower.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the kind words,

i'll check on that shimmy though. thanks for the info...

ah, as for the three point turn issue, does anyone think it is possible to swap another steering rack from another vehicle to maybe help alleviate the problem? i was thinking maybe a 96 or newer rack from a maxima or maybe from a 350z or G35 some of the other infinity's?!?!
Thanks,
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

welcome always looking for new members..

as for the 3 point turns, why are you willing to change the steering set up? where do you live that the turning bothers you that much. I'm sorry I don't get it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:26 PM

bored - The wide turning radius is also bothersome to me, but not nearly bothersome enough to keep me away from my Maxima.

The wide turn radius on the 6th gen is a function of the larger, wider wheels, the very low profile (wider) tires, and the width of the frame opening necessary to accomodate the 3.5 engine.

Changing the steering rack would not only possible cause other problems (maybe give you the 'shimmy' if you don't already have it), but would mean your tires would be rubbing against the frame when you turned further than the OEM rack allows.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Yeah, I must admit...I get pretty nervous when having to make a quick U-turn on a busy street... Always think I'm gonna get stuck or scrape my rims on the curb... Nissan needs to address that w/ the next gen...but I'll live w/ it for now... No biggy...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do a reverse spin. Back up, crank the wheel, hit the gas. The front end spins around. As it swings let off the gas, put it in gear and go.

Practice in an empty parking lot first.

I've done it for years. Now I'm a pro at stupid car tricks like that. Man its fun driving in the snow sometimes!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 PM

You're crazy man.....don't torment the Max that way.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:43 PM

Hey, he could trade for an Acura TL ... it will U-turn in a whole 3.6" smaller circle! (Turning Radius: Maxima - 40.0 ft., TL - 39.7 ft.)

Mike