6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:19 AM

Maxima vs TL

I apologize if this topic has already been beaten to death (I couldn't find a search feature to search for it).

I also know that there's probably a maxima bias...

Anyways, heres the question. Assume you can get an SL for 27k. Assume you can get a TL for 31k.

So the question becomes...

Is the SL + $4000 a better buy than the TL?

Thanks,
Slink
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 AM

You know there's no one single answer to that question, since it involves a lot of personal preference issues. BUT ...

Just on the basis of performance, content, style and value, I'd say the Maxima is very close to the TL. Sure the TL has a little nicer interior and a little better sound system, but the Maxima is roomier, has more doo-dads and is a more-striking visually than the TL.

To turn your question around, is the TL worth 4 grand more? I'd definitely say "No".

Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 AM

Both are excellent cars.
About a year ago, I was deciding between Max SE with Journey Pkg and the TL with Navi. I decided on the Maxima and I have absolutely no regrets. The engine and exterior styling of the Maxima is way better than the TL imo. The TL's interior is nice but smaller. the rear end of the TL doesn't do it for me. A big complaint about 04 TLs were their transmissions. I talked to an Acura salesman about this and he said the 05 TLs are fixed. One advantage I see the TL having over the max is that its value will depreciate slower.

what are the options of the SL?

I'm assuming for 31k, its the TL without Navi. even so, its very well equipped

everytime I drive my maxima or see another maxima it makes me happy to have made the right choice. everytime I see a TL it makes me happy that i didn't choose it.

Yes, I'm biased, but for a good reason. Get the max and you'll understand.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:48 AM

OK I too went through this when I first bought my car. Here is why I choose the max.
1. Looks better in my opinion
2. Feels faster
3. Roomier
4. Love the look of the 18's on the SE
5. Has much more road presense then TL

Reasons for the TL now since I have my max over 1 year
1. I hope to god acura service is better then nissan
2. Blue tooth is nice
3. That's it
Old 12-13-2004, 08:14 AM

The options on the SL would be the preferred package (I guess thats not really a big option though cuz the SL comes with alot standard).

I'm guessing the price diff is 4k although I wouldnt know for sure. I've got a great quote for a TL (30500 + taxes/title/reg). I'm not sure what the street price of a max is but i'm hoping that if I shop after chrismas (slow time, end of year/quarter/month dealer sales goals to reach) I could get it at/close to invoice - 1750 current rebate.

Both TL/Max would be non-navi.

I like the idea of 18" on SE but it seems the SE's rough ride bothers some so if I do get the Max I'd probably go with the SL.

Ya but big dilemma on my hands. I'm sure I wouldn't regret either choice.

I like the TL alot, but it would be nice for passengers to have the extra space the Max provides and extra trunk space might come in handy some time.

It seems the TL will also depreciate less quickly (although I'd plan on holding whichever car forever so that may not be a real factor).

The TL has a better warranty (I think its 5 years vs 3 Maxima).

I believe the TL interior is nicer and its got the dvd audio system (although I don't own any dvds so 5.1 sound probably won't make a diff.)

The TL is also at or past the upper end of what I want to pay for a car. And 4k can can you alot of stuff (ie. I could upgrade my home theater significantly...although I'd probably just let the money sit in ebay or yahoo stock forever). So in essense, if it was equal money I'd take the TL. Since its not I'm not convinced I want to go over the 30k budget (have to draw a line somewhere).

Slink
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Slink
I like the idea of 18" on SE but it seems the SE's rough ride bothers some so if I do get the Max I'd probably go with the SL.
at least drive the 2 Max trims first. (SE is not rough at all imo) I think driving all 3 cars would help you decide better than our opinions.

It seems the TL will also depreciate less quickly (although I'd plan on holding whichever car forever so that may not be a real factor).
exactly why I didn't even give it a thought of holding value. I'm driving my Max till she don't go.

The TL has a better warranty (I think its 5 years vs 3 Maxima).
Wrong. Max is 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 most important components. I extended mine to 7/70 for $1.3k that makes it very close to bumper to bumper.

I believe the TL interior is nicer and its got the dvd audio system (although I don't own any dvds so 5.1 sound probably won't make a diff.)
Max NAVI is DVD, but does not mean you can play them. not sure about Ac', but I got a car to drive, not for others to watch movies.

The TL is also at or past the upper end of what I want to pay for a car. And 4k can can you alot of stuff (ie. I could upgrade my home theater significantly...although I'd probably just let the money sit in ebay or yahoo stock forever). So in essense, if it was equal money I'd take the TL. Since its not I'm not convinced I want to go over the 30k budget (have to draw a line somewhere).

Slink
like I said, you have to test drive them. while at dealer, get brochures and compare the options.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:36 AM

how about getting a slightly used SL + pocket 7 g's than a new TL?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a friend that recently bought a TL with the NAV package. I was steering him toward a Max or the new G35x. He is 77 years young and still works fulltime in the Insurance business! He does take lots of expensive vacations though. I told him to watch out for the TL's electrical problems as they are more common than not. Sure enough he did not listen to me and went with a TL and now that the car is two months old, it's been in the shop for 2 weeks total for electrical problems! Sure the TL has a nice sound system but then so does the G35 and the Max. I love the big display in the no nav option Max. We have a radio station here that displays song title and artist on the RDS system and another that displays traffic info at rush hour! My friend's TL it seems has an outside temperature sensor that keeps failing and various e-system failure codes that keep coming up on his computer when in the shop. They replaced a fair bit of stuff but it keeps re-occurring. He gets it back this week...I will keep you all posted here. Personally IMO, the 05 G35X is one spectacular car inside and out plus I love that newly improved interior. The steering wheel controls are now lit too.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 AM

G35 is a rear-wheel drive Altima
Old 12-13-2004, 09:04 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
WTH? such a comment should get you

-----------------

xorbitman has written a good enough story to convince me to turn from acura

Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 AM

G35 is NOT a RWD altima. Completely different car. I have an Altima too and my friend has the G35. The G35 is one of the best cars out there.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't even know where to begin arguing with that...

They're not even in the same category... there's more luxury in the G35 than Nissan ever put in an Altima, there's more HP in the base G35 sedan than in the SE-R Altima, standard VDC and traction control (both options or NA in the Altima), and the list goes on.

If anything, the G35 is comparable to the Maxima and the TL in this discussion, not the Altima. And that's the sedan... the coupe can break both in half and still have torque to spare...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:29 AM

uhm to those who disagreed with my statement that G35 is a rwd Altima. To support my claim I will say this. Get in the G35 and get in V6 Altima. The dimensions are the same, the powertrain is the same, the platform is the same. Ok, the good part is that for 10 G's Nissan put a RWD on G35, nicer interior, more features, and called it Infiniti. Same as with Maxima and I30/I35. Are you all happy now?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 AM

once again here is my view of the TL. Everyone else can fill you in on the Maxima. Both are great cars. Good luck.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=352304
Old 12-13-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

TL hands down. Looks 10x better and handles better. Also has better brakes (I think)
Old 12-13-2004, 09:58 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
TL hands down. Looks 10x better and handles better. Also has better brakes (I think)
traitor. what do you know? you're only 1
Old 12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

What do you know, you only have 953 posts

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
traitor. what do you know? you're only 1
Old 12-13-2004, 10:01 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

uhm to those who disagreed with my statement that G35 is a rwd Altima. To support my claim I will say this. Get in the G35 and get in V6 Altima. The dimensions are the same, the powertrain is the same, the platform is the same. Ok, the good part is that for 10 G's Nissan put a RWD on G35, nicer interior, more features, and called it Infiniti. Same as with Maxima and I30/I35. Are you all happy now?
Altima:
192.x in long
110.x in wheelbase
70.x in wide

G35:
187.x in long
112.x in wheelbase
69 in wide

How is that the same? You do know that the Maxima is built on the same platform as the Altima? That would mean the Maxima is the same as the G35.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:03 AM
is invisible

You don't just put RWD on a car.
Great to see how many people agree with you, but I guess everyone else is an idiot.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:06 AM
SuPeRmOd

What do you know, you only have 953 posts
good point. But I post for quality, not post whoring quanity. Besides, you're Super Fishy
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=169648

I'm failing to see any "quality" in these posts

good point. But I post for quality, not post whoring quanity. Besides, you're Super Fishy
Old 12-13-2004, 10:10 AM
SuPeRmOd

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=169648

I'm failing to see any "quality" in these posts
I don't see any post in your link.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

No quality ones It's a link to your past posts.

I don't see any post in your link.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:13 AM
SuPeRmOd

No quality ones It's a link to your past posts.
LOL, but it still doesn't work. besides OT doesn't count (both towards my quality or quanity) Come on Jeff, how can a mod post a non working link? unless we can't link post searches?

BTW, my post count is currently climbing...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe by the time the 20th gen maxima comes out, you will catch up to me.

BTW, my post count is currently climbing...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:20 AM
SuPeRmOd

Maybe by the time the 20th gen maxima comes out, you will catch up to me.
unless I gain the secret powers possessed only by a mod... how does one get over 4000 per year anyway?

let me get for a sec. Isn't it funny how we try to compare the 6th Gen to the TL when Acura is supposed to compete with Infinity? Obviously Honda is no comparison for Nissan. So even if the TL ($4k more) is slightly better than a lowly Nissan, is it really an accomplishment?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well you are right in that sense. But what it really comes down to is $. If people have $x amount of $ to spend, they will look at all cars that cost about that much.

TL vs G35 is one hard choice. TL vs 6 gen maxima is a no brainer IMHO. I'd even get an used TL vs new Maxima. The differences in styling, suspension, brakes and similar performance is too much. Plus Acura service is superior to Nissan service.

unless I gain the secret powers possessed only by a mod... how does one get over 4000 per year anyway?

let me get for a sec. Isn't it funny how we try to compare the 6th Gen to the TL when Acura is supposed to compete with Infinity? Obviously Honda is no comparison for Nissan. So even if the TL ($4k more) is slightly better than a lowly Nissan, is it really an accomplishment?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
is invisible

Maxima is a better deal, but not necessarily a better car.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm... I wonder if this is why comparison threads were banned?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM

I am a owner of a Acura (Legend) and two Nissan's (05 Max SE and 05 Pathfinder LE). Nissan was my first car in 1983 when they were Datsun (many of you are too young to remember that). I have been a Nissan loyal customer since I was 19. I am biased towards Nissan. I can say Acura makes a good quality car and if you keep up the maintenance it will last you 10 years or more and drive almost identical to new. The TL is a nice car but smaller than the Max. The interior quality (TL) is better than the Max regardless of what people say here against that claim. Like someone said previously, its your choice on what to pick. I like the Acura for quality but I am loyal to Nissan always and would pick the Max fully loaded over the TL. You can get a Max at Invoice with the rebate if you know how to negotiate. I always pay invoice for my Nissan's and not a penny more. My choice Max but both have issues that need to be resolved like any other car.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
You can get a Max at Invoice with the rebate if you know how to negotiate. I always pay invoice for my Nissan's and not a penny more.

Damn, next time I buy a new car, I should take you with me.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 PM

buy a CAMRY!!!

just kidding! slink: i'm sure u posted something like this on a TL site and u would have got the TL is better than a max

i dont know anything abt TL's (did not care to find out after seeing the max .. and owning one) ... but whichever car u get ... u'll love them (it was mentioned that Accura's service was better..... I dont think there is any truth in that!! There is really no such thing as "Good Service" when it comes to cars..... unless u prefer the coffee the dealers provide!)
Old 12-13-2004, 10:43 PM
jonniewaka

i have bought both of the car this year with 3 months range..the NEW TL was 32800 with navi and my 2005 maxi SL was 32220 all package plus SE 18 inch RIMS...the price was about the same...the intrest was 2%for the maxi and 6% for the TL....as i drove both cars...my TL is now 12000 miles and it runs the max HP and TQ..its breakin is over and runs really nice..and the interior is really nice more like european car...and my maxi only has 500 miles and i really think the maxi shows more power and tq already than the TL but in speed wise about the same...i really think coming to all the tranny recalls and problems already in the TL the maxi is more reliable car in the engine wise..and the TL gets butprints on the leather..its so cheap looking..interior in the TL is much nicer as in light colors..steering wheels..sound system i think the MAXI is better.the dvd-a is not really no difference..sounds same to me..but SL maxi has more bass so its better for my opinion..the TL handles better..that i can say..cus the maxi felt kinda long compare to the TL's handleing..and tiptronic...the TL is more realistic..the maxi is to smooth when its on sports shift..and thats about it...the looks i think the TL is counted more expensive LOOK cuz its a acura and nissan..acura is more like infiniti level..

Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 PM

3.5 lover - good post.

My son has been a Honda driver for fifteen years. He moved up to an Accura TL Type 'S' in December of 2003. Soon afterwards, he found out TL trannys were failing at an alarming rate. He spends hours on the net researching this situation, and says the 'official' word from Accura is that 'only' eight percent of the TLs from 2001 thru 2003 had the tranny completely fail. That translates to thousands of TL tranny failures.

Accura extended the tranny warranty on the TL to 100K last year, but only on VIN serials from 2001 up to early 2003s (not quite up to my son's VIN serial). But owners of TLs in my sons range, and well beyond, are still having their trannys fail. The replacement trannys have the same problem, and some owners have gone thru several trannys.

My son is very disappointed (even frustrated) with this situation. He has begun asking me about my '04 Maxima. He has test driven an SE, and, although he noticed some torque steer, he liked it a lot. We will see . . .
Old 12-14-2004, 06:39 AM
is invisible

xorbitman has written a good enough story to convince me to turn from acura

Well obviously, since you've already turned from acura.

I'm sure they'll be someone to tell a similar story about their chariot.
Acura has its share of problems, but it's not like Nissan invincible.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Have you guys ever seen a 6th Gen MAX rolling down the opposite side of the street/highway toward you?

ROAD PRESENCE!!!

That car just stands out! It catches your eye (especially @ dawn/dusk) because it exudes such road presence! I get like a little kid when I see one..."look, look...that MAX is smooth!!!"... LOL Even the Altima kinda stands out. Have you ever seen a TL coming down the road? They look very nice. I like they're design/style. But, they don't have the same road presence as the MAX. Also, a lot of people have such nick-nack complaints about the MAX's interior...cheap material, non-luxurious, etc... They're crazy IMO! I LOVE THE INTERIOR OF MY MAX! It's perfect! Only complaint I have is the pseudo-metallic striping along the interior door handle...the "silver" look is fading from my knee being pressed up against it... I believe Silverbelle re-painted his due to this...and the 04's "metallic" finish around the console and dash is so susceptible to scratches, I use my knuckles instead of my fingertips to touch them... But I believe they fixed this w/ the 05's new interior material, correct?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 AM

I did a lot of research and tested both cars extensively (2002-2003 models) when I was looking for a replacement for my 99 Max. I agree with most, the handling and the interior of the TL is more refined than the Max. But, the known tranny issues of the TL were a concern. Yes, every vehicle has its quirks, but the TL transmission issue was a major concern since many were still failing even after replacement. I have no regrets with the Max. I do most of my own work on it. If I had to buy a vehicle today, I would give the G35 a serious look.

Pedro
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

Don't think that because you're a moderator and have almost 20K posts, we should take your word for it!!!

TL, hands down? I don't think so...maybe it edges out the MAX by virtue of target marketing level (Acura vs. Nissan). But to say that the MAX has no game? The TL is nice, don't get me wrong... I even like it way better than the G35 sedan. But my MAX is right up there w/ the TL in every aspect...and I don't have all the problems inherited by TL owners... As far as Acura-preferred consumers are concerned, yes, the TL probably suits them better than the MAX...but to say that it leaves the MAX in the dust...come on! How is that???
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by hofb99
Have you guys ever seen a 6th Gen MAX rolling down the opposite side of the street/highway toward you?

ROAD PRESENCE!!!

That car just stands out! It catches your eye (especially @ dawn/dusk) because it exudes such road presence! I get like a little kid when I see one..."look, look...that MAX is smooth!!!"... LOL Even the Altima kinda stands out. Have you ever seen a TL coming down the road? They look very nice. I like they're design/style. But, they don't have the same road presence as the MAX. Also, a lot of people have such nick-nack complaints about the MAX's interior...cheap material, non-luxurious, etc... They're crazy IMO! I LOVE THE INTERIOR OF MY MAX! It's perfect! Only complaint I have is the pseudo-metallic striping along the interior door handle...the "silver" look is fading from my knee being pressed up against it... I believe Silverbelle re-painted his due to this...and the 04's "metallic" finish around the console and dash is so susceptible to scratches, I use my knuckles instead of my fingertips to touch them... But I believe they fixed this w/ the 05's new interior material, correct?
As long as you admit to being biased that's fine. I happen to think both cars have a great road presence, or course the Maxima is larger.

Complaints about interior quality aren't just nick-nack complaints, it's the interior you notice eveytime you drive your car, it's how Nissan cuts costs on a $30k car, and help accounts for the price difference between it and the TL. Therefore its far from perfect....and unless you've brainwashed yourself to think otherwise.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
I did a lot of research and tested both cars extensively (2002-2003 models) when I was looking for a replacement for my 99 Max. I agree with most, the handling and the interior of the TL is more refined than the Max. But, the known tranny issues of the TL were a concern. Yes, every vehicle has its quirks, but the TL transmission issue was a major concern since many were still failing even after replacement. I have no regrets with the Max. I do most of my own work on it. If I had to buy a vehicle today, I would give the G35 a serious look.

Pedro
Okay, I'm pretty much @ my wits end... PLEASE explain how the TL's interior is so much more "refined" than the MAX... Details please, because I've checked out the interior of the TL and it doesn't impress me @ all...main point is it's too "scrunchy" inside, just like the G35... The MAX offers more space and has that "cockpit" feel to it... Also, the TL is not original or unique in interior styling... The MAX's interior is both unique and original. My interior parts are perfect! Only thing is what I stated above and maybe the glove compartment alignment, but I don't notice it anymore. So please explain how it's not "refined"...as best u can... Thanks!

Quick Reply: Maxima vs TL