6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID Lights lifespan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:16 PM

HID Lights lifespan?

Does anyone happen to know how long these are supposed to last? I usually leave mine own while driving during the day and just started thinking that if the lifespan is short that it could be an expensive habit of driving around with them on during the day.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM

about 4-5 years

Because I have seen many 98 Lexus GS -00 acura TL that have burn HID bulb.

They don't cost that much to replace about 200 for a pair.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
about 4-5 years

Because I have seen many 98 Lexus GS -00 acura TL that have burn HID bulb.

They don't cost that much to replace about 200 for a pair.
Oh, I thought that they were way more than that. I wish that you could just leave them in the on position even after you turn your car off. Most cars these days have an auto shut off feature, you would think the maxima would as well.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:07 PM

A buddy of mine works for "the factory" and he tells me that the life span of an HID bulb is not total hours used, but rather the number of times it is turned on and off.

As such, he recommends not flashing them on and off unnecessarily.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sales Guru
Oh, I thought that they were way more than that. I wish that you could just leave them in the on position even after you turn your car off. Most cars these days have an auto shut off feature, you would think the maxima would as well.
you can, its the first notch, auto i think. turns off in 30 sec after u turn off the car or however long you set it at. also turns on automatically with the light sensors.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea you should have "auto" on your car. check the light swich it says auto on it. they come on when the sensor detects darkness..
Old 12-15-2004, 11:57 PM

Factorymax (and his buddy) are correct that the turning on and off has more effect on the longevity of HID bulbs than the hours they are on. Same as with the run-of-the-mill incandescent bulbs we have in our homes.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Factorymax (and his buddy) are correct that the turning on and off has more effect on the longevity of HID bulbs than the hours they are on. Same as with the run-of-the-mill incandescent bulbs we have in our homes.
Yep, so that is why if I nee to turn the headlights on (and the light sensor hasn't indicated that it is dark enough for the auto-on yet), I'll turn the light stick to "ON".... but if you do this, always remember to turn the car off (if possible) before turning the lights back to "OFF", otherwise you'll go through the "AUTO" position which may (unneccessarily) flash the lights again. I know that this was frequently discussed before as a poor switch implementation, and I agree - but this is about the best work around I can find (the other would be to wire a capacitor in parallel with the AUTO feature of the switch to allow for a delay in that function - but good luck getting to the switch internals...).
Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

I read our bulbs should last the life of the car. This would be great although doubtful (especially since I plan on keeping her until she won't run). I try to be very cautious about excessive switching. [start the Nissan HID setup rants again]
I figure ideally for our system we should: Turn on AUTO when dark to light them. If not dark enough but you want them on, turn to ON then after you turn the car off turn to AUTO or OFF. If auto works, I just close my door to turn them off. I have to remember to turn them OFF during the day so they don't auto on and off. I will not flash people during the day (excessive on and off). Of course flashing while ON only moves the shutter, not affecting the bulbs.

They are covered under 36k warranty. But they should last a lot longer especially if used right. (Note to call and see if extended warranty includes HID bulbs)
Old 12-16-2004, 06:48 AM
SuPeRmOd

durn you Monotaur, I type slow...
Old 12-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
durn you Monotaur, I type slow...
Hehe

Great minds think alike, right?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:08 AM

I agree with NismoMax on usage. I despise DRL's (lights on during the day), so I never do that unless I'm in a funeral procession. At night, I turn on the headlights by switching to the "Auto" position. That way, I don't have to go back through that switch position in the garage and flash the lights again.

My wife's CTS turns on the headlights when she unlocks the car using her remote ... day or night ... then they go off and on again when she starts the car. I cringe just thinking of the wear and tear on those HID's.

Mike
Old 12-16-2004, 01:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
My wife's CTS turns on the headlights when she unlocks the car using her remote ... day or night ... then they go off and on again when she starts the car. I cringe just thinking of the wear and tear on those HID's.

Mike
oh yeah, i noticed when our alarm sounds, HIDs flash. guess that's great for getting attention, but if you bump panic or open the door when armed (from inside, or open window) that's a bunch of flashes.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I agree with NismoMax on usage. I despise DRL's (lights on during the day), so I never do that unless I'm in a funeral procession. At night, I turn on the headlights by switching to the "Auto" position. That way, I don't have to go back through that switch position in the garage and flash the lights again.

Mike
Hi my name is Sales Guru and I am a DRL. I just think those lights look cool, even during the day!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
oh yeah, i noticed when our alarm sounds, HIDs flash. guess that's great for getting attention, but if you bump panic or open the door when armed (from inside, or open window) that's a bunch of flashes.
yeah, just discovered that one myself recently.