6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Maxima SE Brake and Battery blink on/off

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 06:03 PM

04 Maxima SE Brake and Battery blink on/off

Hey all,

I just purchased an 04 Maxima SE, end of year special... Anyway I have about 300 miles on the Maxima, and 100 of them I didn't put on it. My question is I was driving the car this morning and I noticed the Battery and Brake warning lite would blink on then off. It is inconsistant for what's making this happen, and I thought it was kinda strange. Though I can say after driving it for a while it stopped. This is the second time I noticed this, but the fist time it was just the battery light. My intentions is to take the car back to the dealer and have them look at it, but I don't feel this is a good start for a new car. Has anyone had this problem, if so what was the issue?

Noob,
Jay
Old 12-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry dude....I only have 2300 miles on my Max....with no glitches...Take it to your closest Nissan dealership and have them look at it under warranty...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:52 PM

Most warning lights in cars these days (especially the 'brake' warning light) can have several meanings. The 'battery' light is essentially telling you the charging of the battery is not keeping up with the discharging. This could be a bad sensor, bad wiring, a bad alternator, bad voltage regulator, slipping belt, a short in the system, or possibly other situations.

These lights (as do all warning lights) come on briefly when you start the car, in order that you can know the bulb is good. Any other time you see them, something is wrong.

All you need to know is you should not be seeing these lights while driving, even briefly, and especially on a new Maxima. You absolutely MUST have this situation corrected soon.

After the correction is done, have them explain exactly what the problems were, and what they did to fix them. Also, after the repair, watch closely to be sure the two offending bulbs do in fact come on for a second or two when you start the car. . . not insinuating the dealer would solve the problem by removing the bulb . . . at least I don't think I am . . . but then maybe . . .
Old 12-25-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Most warning lights in cars these days (especially the 'brake' warning light) can have several meanings. The 'battery' light is essentially telling you the charging of the battery is not keeping up with the discharging. This could be a bad sensor, bad wiring, a bad alternator, bad voltage regulator, slipping belt, a short in the system, or possibly other situations.

These lights (as do all warning lights) come on briefly when you start the car, in order that you can know the bulb is good. Any other time you see them, something is wrong.

All you need to know is you should not be seeing these lights while driving, even briefly, and especially on a new Maxima. You absolutely MUST have this situation corrected soon.

After the correction is done, have themexplain exactly what the problems were, and what they did to fix them. Also, after the repair, watch closely to be sure the two offending bulbs do in fact come on for a second or two when you start the car. . . not insinuating the dealer would solve the problem by removing the bulb . . . at least I don't think I am . . . but then maybe . . .
Thanks! Yeah Being the Holidays and all I'll have to wait. But yes, the two lights come one while driving and at the same time. Weird I know... Like I said it started with the battery light, when I noticed it when I was figuring out the stereo. It would blink on, then off - mind you the car was running. It would blink once, then about 20 seconds or so later it would blink again. Then yesterday as I was driving - had already gone about 5 miles I noticed the brake and batter light doing the same. Doing about 65 they both would turn on for a fraction of a second, then about 20 seconds later do it again. I didn't count how many times it did it, but eventually it just went away. I'm heading out of town today - taking the Maxiam so I'll have another chance to see if it does it again. Hopefully this is one of those abnormal breakin things --- Really it wouldnt be that abnormal from the rest of my life

Oh and lastly - I Love the car! The other choice was an Acura TL, but becuase Nissan offered better financing 1% and a 1K rebate the Nissan closed the deal, but also for other reasons too.

Thanks all! Have a Merry Christmas!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 AM

Any update on this??

I just started seeing the same thing on my '04. It only has ~6K miles on it. Seems to happen most often when the weather is cold. Eventually stops. Seems like an electrical short to me.

Maxium - did you take yours to the dealer and have it looked at yet?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 AM

Yes actually I did. I was told the same thing as what was mentioned here. The dual blinking lights is a sign that the car is using more juice then the alternator is putting out. It's rare it does this and normally should go away after frequent driving. ...As I was told... In my case this only happend twice and has since stopped, but only after a 300 mile road trip to Pa. If you're constantly seeing this I would take it to the dealer since the car could possibly have a bad or going bad alternator.

Seriously though... I've come the the conclusion that I'll just buy a Optima after the problem I had, and when I was at the dealer they asked me to jump stat a brand new Titian. Just getting some bad vibes with the battery that's sold with Nissan cars. Therefore I'll just get the Optima Redtop battery. They have a life of the car warentee, they can be mounted in any postion, they offer a deeper cycling rate (meaning they will crank an engine longer and faster then most batteries), they have extra connections on the battery to hook up other devices, and take a charge better then most batteries on the market.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the update

It just seems odd that both flash at the same time. Like they're somehow connected (or related) to each other.

Did you ask them why they both flash?

If it's an indication of an alternator problem I would expect only the battery light to flash.

Gotta say though - even with this "minor glitch" I love this car. Then again my previous ride was an '98 Saturn SL
Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
KC's FINEST

Mine does it every once in a while, but it always happens in the same spot, over the same bump. I'll notice it, pull over and shut her off. Start it right back up and alls well. Ive never had it happen under normal smooth driving, just over certain bumps and a set or RR tracks...? I asked my mech. and he really couldnt explain.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Same thing for me. I noticed this while on vacation in North Carolina (it just had snowed and it was about 32 degrees) and I started her up and both the brake light and battery light flashed on and off for about 1 minute. I really got scared because we were a long way from home.

My dealer is about 50 miles away from my house, so I don't want to run to my dealer just yet.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:32 PM

The Brake and battery lights flash because the ABS system goes offline when there is insufficent power coming to it.

I had it happen to me 3 times on one particually cold morning when I put the defroster switch on when the car had just been started and was idling. Hasn't happened since.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:16 AM

Sonic - If that's true, then why doesn't the ABS light blink??

Your answer makes sense, because I've seen a couple of more times and it generally seems to be on a cold morning when I have the heater fan on full force.

I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I bring it in for its 7500 mile oil change and tire rotation (maybe another 2 weeks or so). I'll update the board after.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for pulling such a old thread but I could not find a sticky thread in the 6th Gen Fourm for a noob to a question in. Please don't flame me to hard. I've had my Maxima since new it's a 05 strickly stock other than new belts and battery and oil changes. It has 63k miles on it.

I have seen the battery and brake light blinking at the same time a couple times in the past week. Both times at slow speed (parking lot and stopped @ a red light). I'm very concerned - I don't want to get caught broken down. I drive at night to the next town over for work.

I had the battery tested they said it was good but need a charge 600CCA for 700CCA battery, I'm charging it now. They also ran a test on the charging system and reported it was OK. This was done at the local Advance Auto parts house. Does anyone have more information on this?