6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Using SAT for MP3 Player???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:39 PM

Using SAT for MP3 Player???

I know this topic has been covered in the past with an IPod hardwired into the SAT for use...but what about other MP3 player's? Can you hardwire the SAT to a female headphone jack and install the jack on the console somewhere, therefore you would only have to plug in your MP3 player to the headphone jack?

Just an idea...don't know if it can be done or not. Where do people hardwire to the SAT anyhow? They have to pull the whole console out?

THanks!

Jimbo
Old 12-26-2004, 11:20 PM
*moderator*

Yes, it brings RCA's out and you add a split plug into a headphone style jack, you could plug a tape walkman in if you wanted to!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Yes, it brings RCA's out and you add a split plug into a headphone style jack, you could plug a tape walkman in if you wanted to!!!
Jsmithsole...are you saying you can plug in RCA jacks directly to the unit for the 05 Maxima with a headphone jack on the other end? Or do you have to buy a special connection device that connects to the SAT via a special harness that goes to a box with RCA jack connections on it?

Also...do you or anyone else know how hard it is to pull the console to do this? Really would hate to screw up my new car...haven't had it a week yet! Thanks!

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2004, 03:00 PM

Jimbo,
I did this for my iPod on my '04 Maxima. I put in an AAI-NIS unit from PAC audio. This unit plugs into the back of the head unit in place of the SAT wiring. No splicing or anything. It took me less than 30 minutes to do the install and it was very easy. The AAI-NIS unit in turn provides two stereo RCA inputs that can be selected using the ABC button on the head unit (though there is no C input). Just get a mini-headphone to RCA patch cord (couple bucks at Radio Shack, KMart, Wal-Mart, just about anywhere) and you should be able tp hook any mp3 player in. I have pics of the install if you want them. Write me if you have questions.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by russgriz
Jimbo,
I did this for my iPod on my '04 Maxima. I put in an AAI-NIS unit from PAC audio. This unit plugs into the back of the head unit in place of the SAT wiring. No splicing or anything. It took me less than 30 minutes to do the install and it was very easy. The AAI-NIS unit in turn provides two stereo RCA inputs that can be selected using the ABC button on the head unit (though there is no C input). Just get a mini-headphone to RCA patch cord (couple bucks at Radio Shack, KMart, Wal-Mart, just about anywhere) and you should be able tp hook any mp3 player in. I have pics of the install if you want them. Write me if you have questions.
Russgriz...I replied on the other post...but yes...please send the pics of the install. I hate using a tape adapter...doesn't matter how well it's made, it does not sound as good as a direct connection. Are you going post them here or did you want to email them??? Thanks!

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2004, 03:08 PM
*moderator*

JImbo,
Looks like russgriz answered your question...
Old 12-27-2004, 05:42 PM

Jimbo.
I'm going to post them here but I wanted to a little work on them before I did that. I can send you the rough pics in e-mail though if you like.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by russgriz
Jimbo.
I'm going to post them here but I wanted to a little work on them before I did that. I can send you the rough pics in e-mail though if you like.
Sure...send me the rough pics and instructions if you have them...and I'll also get the version you work on that you upload here...thanks!

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2004, 07:11 PM

where you able to forward the songs usig the controls on the steering wheel?. if not is there a way u can do that?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by SouthStar019
where you able to forward the songs usig the controls on the steering wheel?. if not is there a way u can do that?
I'm not sure but I would assume that the somehow the equipment would have to be compatible with the MP3 player to send a signal to the device to forward your songs. Haven't done this yet, I'm pretty sure that it won't work on my Archos multimedia player. Other will chime in on their thoughts....

Jimbo
Old 12-27-2004, 07:34 PM

The AAI-NIS is for audio input only. I have heard that PAC makes a unit that interfaces with the steering wheel controls on a 350Z but have not heard for a fact whether it will work for the Maxima or not. Even with the 350Z, it takes the steering wheel controls and turns them into an infra-red signal that can be interpreted by anything that has an infra-red remote control. The iPod does not have that capability but there is an add-on that you can buy to give the iPod infra-red remote control capability. So what I am saying is, it may or may not be possible, and only after you shell out bucks for the control unit and the add-on for the iPod and for what, so that you can go forward to the next song, restart the current one, or go back to the previous one without having to touch your iPod? True I would like this, I'm as lazy and concerned with keeping my eyes on the road as the next guy, but I can't justify it. I am working on a solution that pauses the iPod when I switch to anything other than the SAT input, it should be really easy, but I still have to press play after switching to SAT, and I still have to use the wheel on the iPod to find a particular song, playlist, etc.

What I am waiting for is a unit that will take the line out from the iPod (which I already have with the AAI-NIS), allow me to control the iPod from the steering wheel or the ENTER-button/joystick on the console, AND will take the display from the iPod and put it up on my non-NAV screen. Am I asking to much? Well, I will ask, and if enough of us do...maybe someone will make it reality. I am no electronics engineer but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Just come up with the circuitry that takes the data out of the iPod and translates it, fooling the head unit into thinking it is talking to a SAT receiver to display song data. Another chip that takes the signals from the steering wheel to the head unit and converts it to the control signals the iPod is already set up to receive. Should be simple but then again it should be simple to program my VCR. 'nuff rambling...hope I helped.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:39 PM

Dang, check this out. I just checked the site for an update. Look for the bit about the "iPOD2CAR". The good news is that they are getting closer to what we want and it's available on a lot of different makes of cars. The bad news is that Nissan isn't one of them.....yet. E-mail storm, anyone?

http://www.pac-audio.com/

http://www.pac-audio.com/aux2car/
Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 PM

Pics posted here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=1#post3525948