6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A/C Noise, Speaker Short, Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A/C Noise, Speaker Short, Steering Problem

My 2005 Maxima has 900 miles on it and it has some problems. The steering pump, I assume it is the pump, groans during the first turn with the vehicle after starting it. It is fine after we have driven it for a while but the groan returns when we start it again. Any guesses?

The a/c makes a whistling noise and I think it is the fan motor or there is a piece of plastic in the air vent. It is not too bad when the fan is on low, but it becomes severe as the fan speed is increased. The dealer assured me that they all do that but the Altima he gave me for a loaner while they tinted my windows had a very quiet a/c. Do all the Maxima's do that?

One, or both, of our rear speakers makes a thumping noise only when someone is riding in the rear seat. We don't have the bose stereo. It souds like an amp that has been turned off and on quickly. The riders in the back said that both speakers were doing it and they did it whether the radio was on or off. Could there be some type of short?

We have had it in the dealer's shop already because the passenger side headlight was stuck on high beam.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 PM

Texas - This is the first time I have seen a steering pump groan mentioned on this board. I have not heard this with my '04. If this were my Maxima, I would have the dealer show me that at least one other 6th gen Maxima in his inventory makes the same sound. If he can't reproduce the groan in another Maxima, I would consider this a problem to be fixed under warranty.

As to the AC whistling noise, folks here have mentioned the AC is loud when turned up, but I don't remember a complaint with 'whistling'. I would treat this the same as the steering groan; if another of the dealer's 6th gen Maximas has the same whistle, then welcome to the club. If not, then you know what to do.

I will let an Audiophyle answer the speaker question. I will say that the rear seats abut the parcel shelf, and the speakers are mounted in the parcel shelf. If this bump only happens when there are rear passengers, and happens in both speakers simultaneously, I would suspect wiring; specifically, wiring that can be 'affected' by the shifting of weight in the rear seats. That would include wiring near the parcel shelf.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:06 AM

Mine whistels too

I have an 04 Maxima, built July 04 (pretty damn close to 05, IMHO). And my AC also whistles between settles 3-5. I need to get it checked on, but either keep forgetting whenever I do the Oil Change, or I just don't have the time.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine also whistles at about 80% fan speed, but the dealership said this was normal... go figure.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:42 AM

i have the groan also...05 SE
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Maxima
One, or both, of our rear speakers makes a thumping noise only when someone is riding in the rear seat. We don't have the bose stereo. It souds like an amp that has been turned off and on quickly. The riders in the back said that both speakers were doing it and they did it whether the radio was on or off. Could there be some type of short?

Thanks,
Greg
my speakers made a sound that sounded morse code (beeping on off sound). I've had people sitting in the back a few times. some times it happens, sometimes it doesnt. I took it to the dealer, they had a few peeps drive around in the car but they heard nothing. (atleast they told me that they had a few people sit in the back and drive around with it)

Which this comes to my conclusion...The people who were sitting in the back when the speakers made a sound, were people who had Nextel Cell phones and TMobile Cell Phones. The Nextels radio always causes intereference.

I used to have nextel and when i would be at my home pc, the speakers would buzz and the screen would shake quickly right before it rang.

I've had 2 people sit in the back with verizon wireless and the speakers
sounded normal.

Either I'm crazy or not, but I think it has to do with the cell phone frequencies.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:44 PM

I wonder if the groan is not the ABS self check. It happens only once after starting the car just after the wheels start to turn. I bet it is the ABS self check which is completely normal.

Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:56 PM

the groan happens to me as well. everytime I start the car, go into reverse by turning the wheel a little out of my driveway it makes that noise. but then goes away.

that has also happened with my cadillac sts.

hey factorymax, i guess it is the abs self check then, thanks bud
Old 01-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaL379
the groan happens to me as well. everytime I start the car, go into reverse by turning the wheel a little out of my driveway it makes that noise. but then goes away.

that has also happened with my cadillac sts.

hey factorymax, i guess it is the abs self check then, thanks bud
Sure thing!