6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

One Exhaust Tip is Higher

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 PM

One Exhaust Tip is Higher

So I was cleaning my car the other day, I noticed that when I stuck my sponge on top of one muffler tip my hand fit fine and then when I stuck my sponge on top of the other one my hand didn't fit. You think they would do anything about this? I checked it and the left side is a lot lower then the right. Its time for an oil change so I am gonna tell them about the smell, exhaust, and change my oil.

Edit : I check my car domain page and you can actually see that the left side is lower then the right.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:01 PM
SuPeRmOd

OMG me too! I thought maybe I bent it on a curb or something. anyone else notice this? I swear a pic I just saw today looked similar (left/driver side lower) but considered it wishful thinking.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM

mines the same as well!! i thought the same thing, that i hit a curb but now that you guys mention it. is there anything we can do to it?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by EdRomo86
mines the same as well!! i thought the same thing, that i hit a curb but now that you guys mention it. is there anything we can do to it?
Hey I noticed this too when I went to the dealership when I was going to initally by a SL (2005)...they fixed it on the spot...I didn't by the car, but bought a SE...I'll have to check to see if this is the case on my SE...didn't notice it, but now that it's mentioned...I'm going to check it...

Jimbo
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
Hey I noticed this too when I went to the dealership when I was going to initally by a SL (2005)...they fixed it on the spot...I didn't by the car, but bought a SE...I'll have to check to see if this is the case on my SE...didn't notice it, but now that it's mentioned...I'm going to check it...

Jimbo
Guys...just checked my car...it's a 2005 and only had it 2 weeks. My left sid is 1/4 inch lower than the right...it's 10:25 PM and it's in my garage, so I can't see if it makes a big difference or not. Again, I noticed this on a brand new Maxima 05' SL at the dealership and they rolled it in and put it up on the lift and fixed it...not sure what they did...but now this seems to be a problem.

Jimbo
Old 01-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
OMG me too! I thought maybe I bent it on a curb or something. anyone else notice this? I swear a pic I just saw today looked similar (left/driver side lower) but considered it wishful thinking.
NismoMax80...just checked out your cardomain page...where did you get the foot pedals? and the neck rest? Do the foot pedals fit on well?

Jimbo
Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 PM

You mean they did'nt fix this from the 2004's
Old 01-03-2005, 11:34 PM

Very strange. This was a major problem when the '04 Maximas came out. Half the cars my dealer got in March and April of 2003 had crooked tailpipes. Either one pair was lower than the other, or one pair was twisted (one of the two 'paired' outlets higer than the other outlet in the same pair).

By summer of 2003, Nissan had virtually fixed this problem, and I saw very few instances of unaligned tailpipes during the past year.

And now the problem returns with the '05s. Very strange . . .

Fortunately, the fix is fairly simple. But the dealer needs to put the car on the rack to do it correctly. I would advise against trying to 'force' the pipes level by hand.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Very strange. This was a major problem when the '04 Maximas came out. Half the cars my dealer got in March and April of 2003 had crooked tailpipes. Either one pair was lower than the other, or one pair was twisted (one of the two 'paired' outlets higer than the other outlet in the same pair).

By summer of 2003, Nissan had virtually fixed this problem, and I saw very few instances of unaligned tailpipes during the past year.

And now the problem returns with the '05s. Very strange . . .

Fortunately, the fix is fairly simple. But the dealer needs to put the car on the rack to do it correctly. I would advise against trying to 'force' the pipes level by hand.
Lightonthehill...You mentioned this was a major problem with the 04' models...do you have more information on this? Was there a TSB on this issue? I'm going to the dealership sometime this week to get my 1/4 inch raised on my left side of my 05' Max. When looking from the rear...it is noticable.

Jimbo
Old 01-04-2005, 06:44 AM

Mine are pretty well lined up, but they're lower than I'd like. I see Maximas that have them tucked up nicely under the bumper and then look at mine and see they're sagged down a couple inches.

Per the service manual, the exhaust pipes are hung from a central bracket roughly under the back seat and a hanger at each of the mufflers at the rear. I don't see why you couldn't loosen the brackets, ease the pipes up with maybe a small hydraulic jack, then retighten the brackets. I'm sure that's what the dealers do.

I haven't had the time - at the right time - to try this myself, but if anyone does, let me know.

Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 07:44 AM
is invisible

I thought the left side usually hung a little lower.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Mine are pretty well lined up, but they're lower than I'd like. I see Maximas that have them tucked up nicely under the bumper and then look at mine and see they're sagged down a couple inches.

Per the service manual, the exhaust pipes are hung from a central bracket roughly under the back seat and a hanger at each of the mufflers at the rear. I don't see why you couldn't loosen the brackets, ease the pipes up with maybe a small hydraulic jack, then retighten the brackets. I'm sure that's what the dealers do.

I haven't had the time - at the right time - to try this myself, but if anyone does, let me know.

Mike
Mike,

When I was at the dealership, I watched them adjust them (from a distance) and it looked like they did some manual bending with elbow grease so to speak...it aligned it, but they had it up on a lift. I actually noticed this misalignment on 4 Maxima SL's in their dealership lot. So not sure why this is not caught on a quality control inspection of the vehicle prior to leaving the plant...

Jimbo
Old 01-04-2005, 01:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

NismoMax80...just checked out your cardomain page...where did you get the foot pedals? and the neck rest? Do the foot pedals fit on well?

Jimbo
I bought everything off of eBay.

My Max was built in May 04. I only recently (w/in a month) noticed this lower left pipe situation. Maybe it's from taking so many hard left turns?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 PM

I was driving behind a Red SL just yesterday and I said to my husband that I hope my tailpipe doesn't look like that. I thought maybe it had been vandalized or something. It looked like someone had taken their foot and pushed down on it to bend it. I kinda forgot about checking mine until today when I was washing my Max. Mine fortunately looks pretty good.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:35 PM

wow, now i really need to check my 05 out and see if I have this same problem.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine is good to go.....
Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 AM

Is 1/4 inch really that noticeable?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 PM

MAJ_Jimbo - No, there was never any 'official' thing (TSB) from Nissan on this, probably because the dealer's service tech should be able to fix this quickly without technical guideance. It is something that is unquestionably a warranty item, and that every dealer should be able to fix well.

The reason a small difference in height between the two pairs of tailpipes is so noticable is that the bottom of the bumper and the surface of road offer two straight level places in which to frame the tailpipes, and there is nothing else in that space to draw one's attention.

In that situation, differences as small as 1/4 inch in height are visually noticable.

Such a discrepancy on items on the sides of a car are meaningless, as one can't see both sides simultaneously for comparison.

The reality is that, as we are driving, other drivers catch only brief glimpses of the front of our car, and little more than passing glances at the sides (unless we are 'pacing' other traffic on a multi-lane road). But drivers can be behind us for many miles, will draw very close to us at stop signs/traffic lights, and the smallest defect on the rear will probably be noticed.

I am very particular about the rear appearance of my Maxima.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
...... But drivers can be behind us for many miles, will draw very close to us at stop signs/traffic lights, and the smallest defect on the rear will probably be noticed.

I am very particular about the rear appearance of my Maxima.
yet another classic great post Light.

but it hurts when you point this out b/c of the nicks on my rear due to 2 times I backed an inch too far back.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
yet another classic great post Light.

but it hurts when you point this out b/c of the nicks on my rear due to 2 times I backed an inch too far back.
Right on the dot Light...one of my Soldiers pointed it out to me as he was behind me on the highway for several miles...even though I had already noticed it...Good post!

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Major Jimbo? Is this the "New Military"? When I was in the Corps, I never had a Major I would ever even consider calling "Jimbo". "Sir" was his name!

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Major Jimbo? Is this the "New Military"? When I was in the Corps, I never had a Major I would ever even consider calling "Jimbo". "Sir" was his name!

Mike
Mike...I just go by MAJ Jimbo for my "screen name" here, but my Soldiers definitely call me Sir...I would never allow any of my Soldiers to call me MAJ Jimbo
Old 01-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Mike...I just go by MAJ Jimbo for my "screen name" here, but my Soldiers definitely call me Sir...I would never allow any of my Soldiers to call me MAJ Jimbo
I'm feeling better about the few and the proud now.

Mike