6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Remote Starter and automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Remote Starter and automatic headlights

I have recently had a remote starter installed on my '04 Max. Everything is cool, except for one minor problem. I've noticed that if the car is turned off and the door is never opened (and subsequently closed), the automatic headlights will not turn off. It does not matter if the car was started with the remote starter or by the key. If you turn of the car (with the automatic headlights on) and open-close the door, the lights turn off after the amount of time specified in the computer. But if you never open the car door and shut it, the lights will stay on all night.

I never noticed this problem before because the only time the car was started was with the key in the ignition. And every time we turned the car off, we exited the vehicle and the lights would automatically turn off. The only reason it concerns me now is that it is possible to start the car with the remote started and have the starter turn off the car after it has been running for some time (25 minuts on my particular brand). If it's dark, the automatic lights will turn on and never go off in this scenario.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a solution other than turn off the automatic headlights or never let the remote starter turn off the car?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:38 PM
*moderator*

I've noticed the same thing, wasn't a big deal though to me because usually when I remote start my car it's because I'm about to get in it and go somewhere.
I found out by starting it (out of site from in the house) and then changing plans and not leaving. So I turned off my car with the remote, went outside about 1/2 an hour later and the lights we're on...
Not sure if there's a fix to this other than not remote stopping you're car or just turning off the auto lights...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

interesting post... since its raining here in NY and I have nothing better to do, I sat in my car and tried this.

Now if you set the position to auto, turn off car and stay in car and stay in the car without opening any doors, the lights will stay on. (My car is parked in the garage and its dark, so I'm assuming its staying on because of the darkness. I have not tried this outside where they are street lights)

anyways, if you position the **** to the headlight position, turn off the car and stay in the car without opening any doors, the lights will shut off in 5 minutes. That position has a battery saver.

So I guess with your remote starter, you have 2 options. 1 is to keep the light position to off, and when you feel like putting on your lights you will do it, or option 2, set it to headlight position, where its on constantly, but in fact will turn off in 5 minutes.

give it a try and let me know how you make out...
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM

There is a solution to this. If you have a remote start system only then, what you want to do is have your installer use a factory re-arm wire or pulse on shutdown wire on the door trigger of the car. It is a lt. blue wire (pin 62) at the BCM. This will simulate you opening the door, so your auto lights will turn off.

If you have an alarm/remote start system then you will have to cut the above wire in half and use a relay to isolate it from your alarm system. This way when you pulse the wire on shutdown, it will not trigger your alarm.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my remote start alarm does the same thing but it doesn't really bother me. i'm just happy that i could warm up my engine and cabin while i'm getting ready for work.