6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rain Guards Without Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rain Guards Without Tape?

Check these out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42611

I had some on my 4Runner for years. Later they came out with a style that slipped into the window groove and required no tape. Does anyone know if they make a non-tape style for the 6th gen yet and where to get one if so?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM

where does it say "no tape" because it clearly states that it uses 3M OEM approved tape
Old 01-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Eeeerr... I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. The ebay auction ones DO have tape. I was saying I wanted to know if there were any on the market yet WITHOUT tape. Make sense?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:08 PM

weathertech...I've got 'em...I'll try to find the site.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:22 PM

Yep, turns your new Maxima into a taxicab in one quick step.

Mike
Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 PM

a taxicab??
Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yep, turns your new Maxima into a taxicab in one quick step.

Mike
funny, yet sadly true.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:05 PM

So that's why I am continually getting hailed as I pass downtown Atlanta hotels! I had wondered.

Those advertised on EBay are the same 'Ventshade' brand I have on my '04 SL. I can assure you they (just as the 1" rubber molding around my wheel wells) are not there for looks. Purely practical.

On a hot summer day down here in Dixie, the inside of a car can easily exceed 150 degrees when left without cracking the windows. Hot enough to damage/melt some of the things I have in my car. But if I leave the windows cracked even a half inch, the outward slant of the sides of the '04 will let lots of rain straight in.

With Ventshades, I can crack all four windows two inches each, which allows some heat to vent, but no rain to enter. And these Ventshades can be pulled off the car if one decides not to have them.

I asked my dealer about the possibility of getting some rain guards that fit inside the window slot, but he said he was not aware of any company making those for the '04 Maxima. Maybe weathertech did not yet have them at that time.

That EBay price for Ventshades is very good; my dealer charged me $112 plus tax and shipping for mine. At least I got them the next day, as Ventshades are manufactured just outside Atlanta.

One caveat: as practical as rain guards are in the deep south (I have had them on every vehicle I have owned for decades), be aware every style I have ever used slightly increased wind noise at high speeds.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by russgriz
weathertech...I've got 'em...I'll try to find the site.
Folks...it's www.weathertech.com I have them on my car...there called "Weatherflectors"...click on my name and go to my website (cardomain). I have a pic of it on the passenger side door. There good and they slide into the window...just leave the window in place for 24 hours for it to seat. This is the second set, the first set was on a 2002 VW Passat...very satisfied. Let me know if you have questions...

Jimbo
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 AM

AWESOME! I'm ordering them today. I loved them on my 4Runner. I always had my windows cracked here in Florida. In August they are worth gold to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:23 AM

Says they are "Optically transparent". They look smoke in your pick and on the site. Mine used to be like a smoke tint like color.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:47 AM

Maj Jimbo is there anyway you can take a couple of pictures that show the entire side view of your Max with the ventshades? I do not care for the look of the ones that stick on the sides with the tape, but yours do seem to have a nicer look. I would appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mr.b
a taxicab??
Yeah ... ever been to NYC (or any other major city)? Every cab has them. In fact, for years I thought they were some kind of standard equipment for taxis before I actually saw a civilian car with them.

I was told they were used by the cabbies for two main reasons - one is that when it's rainy and people smoked, they could open the window a crack without letting rain in, and the other is to crack the windows so they could avoid turning on the A/C, which we all know cabbies are too cheap to use.

As you may have gathered, I don't like them. They break up the smooth lines of a car, generate wind noise, and generally make your car look like a 'smoker's special' or 'latino limo' (no offense to Latinos). But that's just my personal opinion, and I know not everyone agrees ...

Mike
Old 01-17-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
So that's why I am continually getting hailed as I pass downtown Atlanta hotels! I had wondered.

Those advertised on EBay are the same 'Ventshade' brand I have on my '04 SL. I can assure you they (just as the 1" rubber molding around my wheel wells) are not there for looks. Purely practical.

On a hot summer day down here in Dixie, the inside of a car can easily exceed 150 degrees when left without cracking the windows. Hot enough to damage/melt some of the things I have in my car. But if I leave the windows cracked even a half inch, the outward slant of the sides of the '04 will let lots of rain straight in.

With Ventshades, I can crack all four windows two inches each, which allows some heat to vent, but no rain to enter. And these Ventshades can be pulled off the car if one decides not to have them.

I asked my dealer about the possibility of getting some rain guards that fit inside the window slot, but he said he was not aware of any company making those for the '04 Maxima. Maybe weathertech did not yet have them at that time.

That EBay price for Ventshades is very good; my dealer charged me $112 plus tax and shipping for mine. At least I got them the next day, as Ventshades are manufactured just outside Atlanta.

One caveat: as practical as rain guards are in the deep south (I have had them on every vehicle I have owned for decades), be aware every style I have ever used slightly increased wind noise at high speeds.
... you should try putting the air conditioner on some time
Old 01-18-2005, 01:06 AM

DaOne - Hard to run the AC when the car is parked in the far reaches of a parking lot for hours. The ventshades are strictly for use when the vehicle is parked for extended times in the hot sun and rain is possible.

Believe me, just as Mike_TX said, folks who like a sleek, clean look would most likely not care for ventshades.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:41 AM

After checking out some "cars" with these this weekend I am thinking I may pass. They looked great on my "truck" but I'm having second thoughts on the car. Which blows because they are really nice functionally.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mr.b
After checking out some "cars" with these this weekend I am thinking I may pass. They looked great on my "truck" but I'm having second thoughts on the car. Which blows because they are really nice functionally.
Same feelings here