6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Heated wheel cools off for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heated wheel cools off for a long time

I have been reading other threads where everyone seems to be very delighted with the heated steering wheel. I love it when it is hot, but my experience is that it consistantly gets nice and hot a total of two times before the autoshut off kicks in. (for a total amount of about 25 minutes of heated wheel time) Most frustrating is that the wheel cools off for about 10-15 minutes before the second heat sequence kicks in. I would enjoy it more if it didn't let the wheel get so cold between heating cycles. I have brought it to two seperate dealers who both told me it is operating as designed. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just got mine this weekend and have used it twice in the morning but only for a 10min ride. Sorry. I'll let you know more if I use it for a long while.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love the heated steering wheel, although I do agree that the heating cycles should be shorter (ie, less cooling between warm ups). Although the down side to that approach is that it would probably consume more energy?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:26 PM

The heated steering wheel is operating as designed, and as described in the owner's manual.

Is it perfect? No. But it sure beats having no heated steering wheel. When you get my age, circulation in the hands is often almost non-existant.

Like others, I wish the thermostat cutoff was somewhere between 72 and 80 degrees instead of 68 degrees. I feel the wheel gets a tad too cool between cycles.

The complete cutoff after a few cycles is not tied to the thermostat cutoff or number of cycles; it is just a timer turning the heater off. This is Nissan's way of insuring a device is not left on accidentally. The rear window defroster is another example of this.

I have no problem with the timer cutoff. If one wants to continue heating the wheel, he need only touch the switch again. However I do wish the thermostat cutoff was at a temp higher than 68 degrees.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM

I didn't know there was a cooling cycle. My steering wheel actually gets too hot. Everytime I've used it I had to manually turn it off because it was getting too uncomfortable. It felt like I was really toasting my hands. Next time, I'll try to leave it on to see if it cools and reheats. I love the feature though. It was very useful today with the temperature around 11 degrees here. I heat the wheel more than I heat the seats because by the time the seat starts to heat up my body heat has already done the job.