6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Well that was fun...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Injen Intake Problems

So for the last two hours or so, a buddy of mine and myself attempted to install the injen intake in the max. What a task it turned out to be. I read all the tips posted on this board, so thanks to anyone that posted them. One thing i must say is i hate the stock airboxes with a passion. We had everything off but we couldn't figure out how to take the piece under the filter out.

After trying for ever we discoverd it was a plug holding us back. By this point we were just trying to break the damn thing, go figure what we were doing was the right way. Then there was the last part that was screwed into the side.

People said to just tear up the wheel well liner. Well i tore it, hell i took a whole piece off somehow, luckiily it was that bad. After this lovely night, i now realize why i choose to pay a little extra to have something done professionally.

On an intersting note, inside the engine we found 2 plastic bags, and the piece that goes abover the radiator, is like a morraca. There are many little seeds or something in it.

So now that everything is done and hopefully in working condition, no check engine light and things of that nature, its tiime to go for a test drive. Just from reving it, it sounded pretty damn good. Post more when i return.....
Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

nice MYSTERY, one down many more to go...........
Old 01-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Don't worry plenty of pics will be posted. Especially the one where i got my hand cut open by the wheel well, and instead of helping me my friend took a picture. But yeah this night is not going well. I must say i was very happy with the increase in sound and power, even if minimal. For one reason or another i decided just to check if everything was still intact. And what do you know..

The air filter fell off. Not sure when but it happened one way or another. So the whole time we were eating i was getting grilled about how it fell off. Such a great friend. So we drove home and went to work again. This time the wheel well seemed to be so easy, but then the filter wouldn't go back on.

So we used some w40, something like that, to grease it up and slide it up. It slid up, but then right back down. So this was our solution, if we only had a pictre. I was basically bent over with my elbows supporting the filter, and my head placed on the ground to support the rest of my body, while larry tried to tighten it.

Finally that was done, so what else could go wrong. Well apparantly the wheel well did not want to coroporate so that took about a half and hour or so to get back on. Finally its done, by body is very cut up, and i'm still really pissed off, both about the intake and my friends nagging.

I hope i amused you all with that, and now to go play some halo 2 to get my frustration out.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:58 PM

Ok so now i have another problem. My check engine light is on. It just came on tonight after work. I went back to school and examined under the hood. Nothing seemed to be wrong, but then i noticed that the tube that comes out from under the engine cover to just before the MAF was lose and easily disconnected itself. I am assuming this was the problem.

Some people said just to connect that and then disconnect the battery and that should solve it. Is this true?

I would really not like to go to the dealership, besides the fact i don't have time too, but also because I have a feeling they'll blame it all on the intake, even if thats the case, and then void my warranty. All i know is this is the 3rd intake on a car i've had trouble with, apparantly Intakes and myself, they just don't go well together.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 AM

Sorry to hear about all the troubles with just an intake. My CEL's were usually thrown due to a loose or disconnected vacuum hose. I bought some clamps to make sure they were on securely. Disconnected the battery while doing all this then reconnnected and started up. Light never came back on....
However, this was on my other cars and I haven't tried on the Max yet so I'm not sure how much help that would be. Do we have an air intake temperature sensor? If so, that should be plugged in somewhere in the intake pipe.
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Ok that didn't solve anything. The engine seems to be running fine tho, so i guess its off to the dealership. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
For those that want to see pics here ya go:
Intake Pics ]

I'm guessing by the lack of responses that no one is aware of anyother suggestions to how to get the CEL off huh?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 PM

Reset your ecu first to see if that works. Theres a thread about it somehwere with instructions.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 AM
BigCat44

Yikes!! Sounds like you had a real "fun" time. The CEL should be reset by the ECU or I think you can take it to Pepboys and have them check the codes it's sending and then wipe them after you get everything tightened. After market intakes were known to blow Mafs in the 5th Gens but the 6th seem to be doing very well. Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2005, 05:33 AM

on my 02 Altima I had the same problem you have to unhook the battery for at least 20 minutes maybe 30 and it should reset itself
Automon
Old 02-02-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Automonjama
on my 02 Altima I had the same problem you have to unhook the battery for at least 20 minutes maybe 30 and it should reset itself
Automon
Just the negative side or the whole battery all together?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if u take pics WHILE you are doing ur install, u can help everyone else who may try ur mod, in this case the Injen intake installation. Thanks for the pics though. I think Im gonna go with Berk intake, unless SSR comes out with the supercharger soon
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 AM

I actually do have pics of the whole instal process, i just didn't feel like posting them all. The intake itself comes with good directions as well. I was going to go with the berk one actually, because i felt the injen was too expensive. But then i got mine for 220 so i said why not.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM

James. this really sux man. SOrry to hear about the whole problem thing man. I know your reallly pissed about it but dont take to the the stealership just yet like i told ya. Take off both sides of the battery, and drain the electricity that is left in the car by pressing on the brake pedal. Leave it like that for like an hour then start it up. maybe your drive home this weekend will let it reset by knowing that its ok and that the hose is connected now. then try like Pep Boyz or something like that.
You dont want to go to the dealership where they will prob blame you and then charge you to do it
Old 02-10-2005, 11:27 AM

Alright the dilema is still here. Once again the CEL or SES light will not go off. Its been a week since we disconected the battery to reset the ECU. Since then i've driven from NJ to NY to CT and back to NJ. Plus driving to and from work and school down here with no change.

Any other suggestions or is it time i just go and get it looked at? Peferably i will not go to the dealership. A friend of mine's dad has a auto shop and said he'd diagonse it for me for free then go from there depending on the results.

Another question for those with the injen intake. My dad made a legitamite point, the MAF sits straight up, is there any chance that the hood could hit that, even tho thats how it was when the stock intake was on? Just a thought, any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:18 AM

So its been 2 weeks since we installed the intake, and i got a pleasant surprise this morning. The CEL finally went off by itself. This makes me very happy.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 PM

Reseting the battery does not reset the ECU. Just FYI, there was a thread about a week ago on how to do it.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Reseting the battery does not reset the ECU. Just FYI, there was a thread about a week ago on how to do it.
I realized that. A bunch of people said thats how they fixed their similar problems, and i saw that thread as well and looked there for help. Seemed like it just needed time to reset itself with the intake on.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:15 PM

What thread was it that resets ECU?