6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Option packages annoy me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Option packages annoy me!!!

Even though I'm a salesman myself, option packages annoy me. They really force people into overspending, which I think makes for an unpleasant buying experience.

I don't own the 6th gen, but do own a 2001 SE. I test drove the 2005 today, and for my money the Drivers Preferred Package is not worth it. Someone else hit the nail on the head regarding the autodimming side mirrors. If you have tint, that feature isn't necessary.

IMO, most people should stick to these 3 packages with the 2005 Maxima.

1) buy the base model w/out leather and save the dough
2) buy the sensory package with the leather & bose
3) get the Elite Package with the every option available except the NAV system.

The Drivers preferred package is $1300 more than the Sensory package, and all you get is a rear lip spoiler, HID, power tilt/telescope w/memory, 2-driver memory seats (AT only), power outside mirrors/folding/dimming, heating steering wheel, and power adjustable lumbar. That sounds like a lot of features, but think about it. Power lumbar? Heated steering wheel? Power tilt/telescope wheel? Have we become so lazy that we cant use a manual tilt/telescope or lumbar? The memory seating is kind of cool, but not for $1300. That feature should be a stand-alone option. Those crooks!

Sorry...Not trying to offend anyone, but these packages can get out of hand quickly. I always tell people to keep it simple. If you look at the sensory package, it has just about everything you need to make your car a near luxury sedan. You'll just have to "go out of your way" to reach back and hand-adjust your lumbar! The invoice price on a 2005 maxima with the sensory package is right around $27,500 (before rebate or financing specials). I personally think this is the value point for the Maxima. You get the best V6 in the buisiness + leather, heated front seats, dual power front seats, dual heated side mirrors, Bose, Radio Data System, and compass. Not bad.

If you add NAV and every other bell and whistle, you're into the low $30's, and I'm not sure if the car is worth that? No offense, but that's Acura TL and Infiniti G35 territory. Sorry, I'm just up late crunching numbers in preparation of my upcoming purchase. The bottom line is, it's your money. Spend it as you wish! I'm just trying to help the youngsters out there.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

well, I don't belive you can get an elite w/out navi, I think thats the whole package there. the heated wheel and seats comes in usefull to me in cold weather, the memory seats are usefull to me again cause my girl drives my car and its so much easier just to press one button and bam, my setting is on.. you might wanna get the bose cause its a hell of a system in that car..as for HID, members that didn't get the HID's complain that they should've gotten them

but this is my .02
Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 AM

When I bought mine I thought to myself that I would never use the heated steering wheel feature. I find myself using it all the time, in fact, it's the first thing I press when I get in now. Just depends on how important some of these features are to you. I knew I had to have them or I wasn't going to be completely happy. Now I know I will always want a car with a heated steering wheel. The Max has spoiled me.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The point of getting a car, is to get all of the neat new gadgets. I like the auto-dimming rearview mirrors. WHat if one of you guys is behind me with your 9000k bulbs, it's gonna light right through my trunk much less the mirrors. I like it. Plus, on a cool spring day, the windows may be down. What about semis behind you...I like the mirrors that fold... Makes me feel like I am in a jet that is going into its hangar. One touch sunroof...fab-u-lous. PLus, the difference in 1300 is only about $12-15 a month. I know I would have kicked myself if I didn't get the package. Plus, if you are a good haggler at the dealer you can get a good price on car and be real happy with with a loaded out new car.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Option Packages

I work for Nissan and the main reason most of the leather SE's are being built with the Driver Preferred Package is becuase it's only $800 more than the Sensory model. For that kind of money you would be kicking yourself if you don't get this package. I use my heated wheel everyday!

Ryan
Old 02-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Well screw you all.....lol

In no way am I saying that "people would be stupid to pick up those features." I love bells and whistles. Hell, if I didn't I would be driving a Honda Civic. Many of those features depend on where you live. You're right, if it's a cold climate then the heated wheel would be useful. The folding side mirrors are cool, but the auto-dim doesn't do it for me. Now, the auto-dim rear-view mirror is great. 2-memory power seats are also cool.

HID's and NAV systems (in my opinion) can be had for a fraction of the price aftermarket. That's especially true with the NAV. I can get a SWEET Garmin GPS for $700, that's more user friendly than the factory NAV's AND that I can take with me on vacations or for use in other vehicles.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:10 AM

My car has most of the options including Nav which I don't know how I lived without. I don't want something bolted to my dash that is why i went with the factory nav. the factory Nav is very easy to use you would have to be a retard not to be able to operate this system. I love all the options if i could have bought cashmere carpets like my Porsche i would have done that too.
I guess my point is that nissan attracts buyiers from other segments by offering these creature comfort options, I would have not considered the Max if I had not found out how plush they could be optioned correctly.
I guess my point is that maybe the max is not for you the Altimas are nice same motor in fact I like the Alti SE-R and there are few options available so it sounds like a perfect fit to me.
Automon
Automon
Old 02-03-2005, 02:14 PM

hahaha, "all you get is a rear lip spoiler, HID, power tilt/telescope w/memory, 2-driver memory seats (AT only), power outside mirrors/folding/dimming, heating steering wheel, and power adjustable lumbar."

And for I that's exactly what I wanted. I love the spoiler, HID is a must have, tilt/telescope wheel and 2-driver memory seats because I'm 6'3" and the wife is 5'8" plus not having the move the seat and forth every time the wife drives the car is worth a lot more then a measly $1300, in fact that feature alone is priceless. The power outside mirror I could live with out since I can't find a use for it yet. The heated steering wheel I use everyday, when the weather calls for a -7 degree day you'll learn to love a heated steering wheel more then the heated seats. The lumbar... Don't use it... I suppose it's all what you're willing to pay. I'd pay a lot more for the Maxima, personally I think it's under priced.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:19 PM

First of all, to person who said I'd be better off in an altima...Listen sonny, I've been driving Maxi's for nearly 10 years. I know what I'm better off in.

Thanks to all who responded. This feedback makes my decision making process a lot easier. My opinions on options are my own, and really the point of this string was that I wish the dealerships would allow more flexible ala-carte ordering. For example, I really like the idea of dual memory seats.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM

I usually try to be agreeable here, but this is one time I must emphatically say 'I beg to differ!'.

I feel Nissan chose the option packages very carefully and very wisely. There is no way every person can have exactly what they want in each option package. What may suit the 'teeny-boppers' would be totally unsuitable for the folks in the thirties, or in the sixties.

I have looked at the 6th gen option packages very carefully for almost two years, and feel I could not have done a better job of selecting what to include in each package myself.

The thing we must remember is that, for practical/economic purposes, Nissan must limit the number of variations going down the asembly line. The only way to do this is via option packages.

The idea that outside auto-dimming mirrors are not useful is totally incorrect. Most Maximas I see around here are not pimped (tinted). I would never dream of adding tinted windows. Fairly or not, they are considered to be 'juvenile' in this neck of the woods. It is tough enough to see everything around the car thru clear glass. For half a century, I have been bothered by bright lights in the outside mirrors blinding me. I only wish these auto-dimming outside mirrors had been available on the '04.

You may denigrate the heated steering wheel, but I have used it every day for almost two months. I absolutely love it. You are incorrect with your 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' approach.

And the elite package is (and should be) restricted to a 'stand-alone' option. Many folks have families, friends, etc, and need the bench rear seat, but also want all other goodies. Had Nissan not offered the Maxima WITH the driver preferred package and WITHOUT the elite package, I would have been reluctantly forced to move to Infiniti after twenty happy years with Maximas.

As I said at the top, I feel Nissan did an exceptionally great job of choosing the option packages for the 6th gen Maxima.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:18 AM

If you want a hand built car with only the options you want and none of the options you don't then buy an Aston Martin, they will assemble this car however you like. Nissan is not an Aston Martin they manufacture cars for the masses so suck it up bobbyg its all feasibility and cost.
Automon
Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG123
I wish the dealerships would allow more flexible ala-carte ordering.
That is the one advantage the "Big 3" US automakers used to have and may still do in some cases. The one and only US car I "built" online was the Chrysler 300C and almost every item had options, but selecting one would "package" you with others, but to a lesser extent than you find with the Japanese automakers.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Phil75070
That is the one advantage the "Big 3" US automakers used to have and may still do in some cases. The one and only US car I "built" online was the Chrysler 300C and almost every item had options, but selecting one would "package" you with others, but to a lesser extent than you find with the Japanese automakers.
But the Max is assembled in the US. You can somewhat customize if you order. It's just b/c production lines are to save $ and time.

I love my package. If the timing wasn't just right, and I didn't want to save all the money from buying new off the lot, I only would of added VDC. DPP w/ sunroof is perfect for me.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have always wondered about these options....

I was adament to get VDC on my car. But I cannot get it without going for a $3000 DPP option. I dont see any other option in DPP that VDC needs other than fullsize tire. Why cannot Nissan offer Fullsize tire along with VDC?

Atleast in 2004 (SE), you can get VDC without sunroof. I happened to have one.

But from 2005, Nissan will not let you get VDC unless you have DPP and Sunroof... Sunroof and VDC - how are they connected... isn't a ripoff...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

VDC was always a stand-alone option that came with a full size spare all for $900. Are you talking about what's on the lot, or ordering direct from Nissan? b/c the dealers customizr to their needs.

wow you were right, just checked Nissan, you need DPP and sunroof now! the price went down to $600 but with the packages... that's business for ya.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:36 AM

Yup, you are right, VDC came with fullsize tire... then i need to rephrase -- VDC needs nothing that comes with DPP....

I guess VDC is a factory installed option and dealer cannot do any customization around it....

Having said that to get VDC , you will have to shed another $3000 (dpp and sunroof)..
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wow you were right, just checked Nissan, you need DPP and sunroof now! the price went down to $600 but with the packages... that's business for ya.
the price is down to 600 , because $300 TC is standard now...

VDC and TCs are just some microchips monitoring your speed, wheelspin etc to automatically control the vehicle..... Nissan should make this option a real standalone...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:43 AM
SuPeRmOd

see, to me I wouldn't care b/c that's everything I wanted. I kinda wish I had VDC, but can live w/o it. Buying off the lot with every other option I wanted saved me $3k+

I see it as Nissan trying to save extra costs to keep the price down. The less variables, the more economic and fast production runs.

yes, I agree with VDC standard, but that's just how it is for now.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 AM

i already make up my mind i am getting a 2005 Nissan Maxima Se ( base )..
Old 02-06-2005, 10:48 AM

they do sell leather seats for $549 plus $ 35 shipping. You have to install yourself. ebay item 7951563088 it say 89-94. i am sure the leather seat will fit on 2005 model too.. if you want to save money, dont get a sensory or driver preferred package..
Old 02-06-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by kingfans
they do sell leather seats for $549 plus $ 35 shipping. You have to install yourself. ebay item 7951563088 it say 89-94. i am sure the leather seat will fit on 2005 model too.. if you want to save money, dont get a sensory or driver preferred package..
unless an expert in installing, i wouldnot go for it..... leave alone dealing with warranty stuff

did you try the dealer quote? i was quoted around $1000 with heated seats.. and also covered by warranty.... another $400, but piece of mind for 3 yrs... just my .02
Old 02-06-2005, 11:35 AM

i know. thats why i am getting a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE auto Base for $ 23,888 plus tax. i am not adding any aftermarket leather seats.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:37 AM

after searching for the best price, one dealer is asking 05 Maxima automatic SE base for $ 23,888 plus tax and 05 Maxima automatic SE w/sensory Pkg for $26,650 plus tax. i am going with the base. i want to save money.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I usually try to be agreeable here, but this is one time I must emphatically say 'I beg to differ!'.

I feel Nissan chose the option packages very carefully and very wisely. There is no way every person can have exactly what they want in each option package. What may suit the 'teeny-boppers' would be totally unsuitable for the folks in the thirties, or in the sixties.

I have looked at the 6th gen option packages very carefully for almost two years, and feel I could not have done a better job of selecting what to include in each package myself.

The thing we must remember is that, for practical/economic purposes, Nissan must limit the number of variations going down the asembly line. The only way to do this is via option packages.

The idea that outside auto-dimming mirrors are not useful is totally incorrect. Most Maximas I see around here are not pimped (tinted). I would never dream of adding tinted windows. Fairly or not, they are considered to be 'juvenile' in this neck of the woods. It is tough enough to see everything around the car thru clear glass. For half a century, I have been bothered by bright lights in the outside mirrors blinding me. I only wish these auto-dimming outside mirrors had been available on the '04.

You may denigrate the heated steering wheel, but I have used it every day for almost two months. I absolutely love it. You are incorrect with your 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' approach.

And the elite package is (and should be) restricted to a 'stand-alone' option. Many folks have families, friends, etc, and need the bench rear seat, but also want all other goodies. Had Nissan not offered the Maxima WITH the driver preferred package and WITHOUT the elite package, I would have been reluctantly forced to move to Infiniti after twenty happy years with Maximas.

As I said at the top, I feel Nissan did an exceptionally great job of choosing the option packages for the 6th gen Maxima.

I could not agree more with lightonthehill!! Well spoken light!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:51 AM

remember maxima are not luxuary car. to make a maxima luxuary you will need to spend a lot of money. if you want a luxuary, you should go buy yourself a lexus LS430.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:55 AM

remember maxima are not luxuary car. to make a maxima luxuary you will need to spend a lot of money. if you want a luxuary, you should go buy yourself a lexus LS430.
And even the LS430 is sold with "packages"......ha ha.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:11 PM

ok. if you have money, then buy it. i dont like to buy a sensory pkg just for a leather seat. i can live without a leather seat. it is not going to make any different on my 05 maxima se.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

ok. if you have money, then buy it. i dont like to buy a sensory pkg just for a leather seat. i can live without a leather seat. it is not going to make any different on my 05 maxima se.
its not just leather

* leather
* 4-way power front seats
* heated front seats
* heated exterior mirrors

drivers prefferred:

* electric folding mirrors w/memory
* drivers seat w/ 2 position memory & power lumbar
* heated pwr tilt/ telescopic steering wheel w/ memory
* auto entry / exit system
* rear spoiler/ xenon headlights (HID)

pemium audio:

* 8 spk bose/ 6 disk changer
* speed sesitive volume control & radio data system
Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Fully loaded is the only way to go
Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by NJMAX
Fully loaded is the only way to go
+1
fully loaded
Old 02-07-2005, 01:08 PM

i already make up my mind i am getting a 2005 Nissan Maxima Se ( base )..
I did the same and I can save upgrading when I want and with better quality. Short, sweet and simple, speaks for itself
Old 02-07-2005, 01:32 PM

I guess the reason why for the options because they know people will get it no matter how much the price is. If it come standard they wouldn't make any money now would they?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
But the Max is assembled in the US. You can somewhat customize if you order. It's just b/c production lines are to save $ and time.

I love my package. If the timing wasn't just right, and I didn't want to save all the money from buying new off the lot, I only would of added VDC. DPP w/ sunroof is perfect for me.
It is not where it is assembled, but how. The Japanese try to duplicate their factory set ups no matter where they are, and have always led the way in regard to the degree of automation used in their factories. Before the American automakers copied the Japanese and went to the degree of automation they use now, "manual" assembly allowed for offering options on just about anything.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 PM

My 0.02 cents to all this talking about packages is as follows. If you want to buy a Maxima and you don't want to be seen in an Altima because you just want a Maxima regardless of whatever package it comes with then get the base for about $23888 as kingfans suggested. If you want a bit more and can justify spending the money with is roughly about $2800 more then get the SE with the sensory package which will cost you about $26, 650. Now as Tek-Nig pointed out it's not just leather. You'll also get power front seats and if you live in cold states like Massachusettes for example the heated seats and heated outside mirors are a must on those very very cold days and for the people who live around here I am sure you'll agree with me about that too. Now if you live somewhere warm you wont be using some of these features on the sensory package, but if you travel they might come in handy some day. Personally for myself If I were about to purchase a new Max I would get the SE auto with the sensory package. The driver perferred package to me is not worth the money unless I was getting the car for a bargain then I would get all those goodies which I probably would not have gotten just becase the price was attractive. The only thing on the driver perferred package I wish they offered as a stand alone option are the HID's.