6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

First Impressions - Unorthodox Racing Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:59 AM

First Impressions - Unorthodox Racing Pulley

Finally had my U/O racing pulley installed this past Thursday and got to open it up a lil bit yesterday.

First, let me say that I am a firm believer in Dyno's and have had my MAX dyno'd before with my earlier mods (Stillen Intake and Greddy SPII) and will again with this one. Any info I drop is an "estimate" by what I remember pre-mod.

The tech that always works on my mods at my Nissan dealership said he noticed an immediate difference in the before and after test runs. He also stated that he thought this was one of the better mods to add because of the weight loss for the engine's output.

Rev time is DEFINITELY quicker with the car getting up to redline much faster than I remember. Just seems to wanna hit get up and go the whole way through the powerband and pulls harder. The Greddy's were blasting last night because I was pushing her pretty hard

Engine also sounds like it is running a lil tighter although that could be from the 30K maintenance I had done

As for the difference in parts - the tech gave me the old pulley and comparing it to the U/O pulley is Night & DAY! The stock pulley is literally twice the size of the U/O. The weight is the BIGGEST difference! The old pulley weighs a TON where as the U/O was EXTREMELY light. I would have to guess that the dramatic decrease in weight and load on the engine having to turn the pulley would add some HP to the wheels.

Seems faster than I remember and this is after having driven my baby for almost 2 years and adding a bunch of mods. Again, that is an estimation and I will try to confirm it with a dyno or a track run.

If you are thinking of this mod, I hope some of you found this useful.
JJT
Old 02-19-2005, 10:55 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I just got my belts in for it. I will be installing it soon. I'll wait till I get a few more mods first so I can do a all at once thing. thanx for the info though, these kind of threads are always usefull..
Old 02-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jiujitsuthug~

how much did armando charge you for the install?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:16 PM

akaxmrxhammer - $130 - including one belt that I was missing. And they replaced my Stillen air filter for free, had the replacement part already.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:10 PM
GrandPa

I had my pulley and greddy sp-2 installed this past weekend. I already had the injen installed. I am going to have the car dyoned during the week.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Moderator GT-R

Which model number UR pulley are you using?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:37 PM

man I only paid 30 bucks to get my SWA pulley installed a while back. Anyways congrats on the new mod. I felt this made the best gain of all the power mods I have done.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:56 PM

I bought my pulley today. Can't wait to experience it tomorrow after I get it on. Ill share my input.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:28 AM
05WHTMAXISL

Pulleys??

i heard if you get the U/O pulley you need to get smaller belts???anyone with experiences??

Old 02-21-2005, 08:45 AM

Yes - you need to get 2 new belts with the U/O pulley. Much smaller and lighter pulley than your stock one. Have fun!

Part Numbers are :Goodyear #4040305 & #4060395
Old 02-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

warranty??

Hi, again I am new so I apologize if this question sounds retarded...

Does installing this pulley void your waranty? I just got my car last week and I plan to do all the servicing at the dealer, kept up to date, etc.....

I just dont want to get any $hit from them about me changing one thing and void the whole thing.

Was it hard to convince the Nissan Tech to install your pulley? I figure if anyone could do it, I would let them do it so that at least they have a track record of the mod and it can be done correctly. I guess this goes for intakes, exhausts, etc.

thanks,

-MO-
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MObruin

Does installing this pulley void your waranty? I just got my car last week and I plan to do all the servicing at the dealer, kept up to date, etc.....

I just dont want to get any $hit from them about me changing one thing and void the whole thing.

Was it hard to convince the Nissan Tech to install your pulley? I figure if anyone could do it, I would let them do it so that at least they have a track record of the mod and it can be done correctly. I guess this goes for intakes, exhausts, etc.

thanks,

-MO-

no, its said that only if the mod created the problem to begin with, then it will void it....

ex. if the pulley created your engine to blow, it won't be covered..
Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MObruin

thanks,

-MO-
Excellent question. I would like to just go with the dealer as well. My first thought is that they wouldn't be too receptive. And dealers always want an arm and a leg for everything.

Looking forward to JiuJitsuThug's answer.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Excellent question. I would like to just go with the dealer as well. My first thought is that they wouldn't be too receptive. And dealers always want an arm and a leg for everything.

Looking forward to JiuJitsuThug's answer.
you have to find a dealer that would allow this, I spoke to a mechanic on the side at the shop I go to and he said they won't allow it done in their shop... a side job for the mech is a diffrent story.......
Old 02-26-2005, 07:32 PM

Thats a good question MoBruin,

I was just at my dealer last week, they agreed to install a reverse glow instrument cluster for me (white guages, like my 97 SE had) But when they looked at it, they said no way, they wouldnt mess with the wiring it came with. I have to think those stealing $$ a**holes would say the same about the pulley, guess I will find out soon.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Anyone know which direction the
Old 02-26-2005, 08:30 PM

Anyone know which direction the crank bolt goes to unbolt the pullet, clockwise or counterclockwise?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:40 PM

I have a great relationship with my service dealer at Mossy Nissan in San Diego. The service dept seems to take special pride in my MAX and comment on it all the time as being the best one they have. Anyway - they have no problem with installing my aftermarket stuff and have completed the following mods for me (Stillen Intake, Greddy Exhaust, U/O Pulley, Aftermarket Pedals & Shif ****). They threw on the pedals and shifter for free Now I'm sure if I roll in there with a Supercharger they might be a little hesitant but my warranty is gonna be up in about 7K miles anyway so screw it

Best of luck with this mod - I am loving it. Gonna test it out on the GTECH soon
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you have to find a dealer that would allow this, I spoke to a mechanic on the side at the shop I go to and he said they won't allow it done in their shop... a side job for the mech is a diffrent story.......

Interesting........the ole side job eh..... That sounds a little scary to me. I guess I would just be worried he might mess it up and then your really in trouble, because you know he won't be offering a warranty with that work.

Too bad the dealerships don't embrace this kind of work, they could make some extra money.

Might just have to look for a shop that specializes in mods.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM

They probably would not have a problem with it if the part was a NISMO part
Old 02-28-2005, 08:10 PM

Good point. Are there some good NISMO mods? I haven't really read anyone on here posting about their latest NISMO mods.

Does anyone have a link or is is just the Nissan home website? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Apollos,

After not finding ANYTHING for the Max, I emailed the guys at Nismo, and they said since the Maxima is a "luxury" car, they havent made any mods for it. Shame. Even the guy who I was talking to did not agree.

Interesting story...I was talking to my dealer guy about Eibach spings and asking would that void the warranty...and he said that once I reach 36k, it wont matter anyway, its out of warranty. Ive already had the struts fixed.

I need to find a dealer like JuiThug, mine seems afraid of mods! Cant wait to see his Nitrous hookup!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Hey JJT, I assume you got the pulley from Stillen? For how much? And how much did you pay for those 2 belts, or do you know how much they cost?

I pretty much have similar setup as yours, and I'm planning my next mod to be the pulley...
Old 03-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

Then what the heck are mercedes-benzes and BMW's? AMG, Carlsson, Brabus, AC Schnitzer...You can Mod an S class Benz to the stratosphere...
Hey NISMO
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Then what the heck are mercedes-benzes and BMW's? AMG, Carlsson, Brabus, AC Schnitzer...You can Mod an S class Benz to the stratosphere...
Hey NISMO
??? Am I missing something?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

it was in response to jayzmax's "I emailed the guys at Nismo, and they said since the Maxima is a "luxury" car, they havent made any mods for it. Shame. Even the guy who I was talking to did not agree."
Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by koreanmaximan
??? Am I missing something?
Heehee, you thought he was calling out NismoMax, didnt ya? That would be a good way to get a
Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

what's good fellas?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

haha....no, i was refering to the company NISMO, not the moderator
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 PM

I got a blue one
Old 03-18-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
haha....no, i was refering to the company NISMO, not the moderator