6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Stillen intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen intake

I went to Stillen and bought an intake from them. Its easy, about 30 min. I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. It seems to be responsive at low rpms and it has an awesome howl above 4500 rpm. Im pleased!!! My butt dyno likes it too!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
05WHTMAXISL

did u dyno it yet?i heard some intakes u lose tourque on the dyno is that true??in low rpm?how is it?

Old 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Only butt dyno. Responsive off the line. Good pull to 4,000 and stronger pull above that. I like it!! Less than $200. Easy install.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 AM

Dyno it. Your butt may be more sensitive than someone elses.

Does the Stillen "chrome PVC pipe with filter on the end" (or any other) seperate itself from the rest of the engine compartment? If not, how is it a CAI until you are at speed? From an idle at a stop light, for example, how long does it take for the hot air under the hood to escape and cold air to enter the engine? I'd buy into a fully sealed and insulated ram air system, but the typical "CAI" is nothing more than sound.

Now lets think about the engineers at Nissan. They have an intake and exhaust designed to flow properly. You decide to stick some PVC with filter on it that flows more air.... more in, needs more out. So, now you've got to buy the cat back or maybe just the mufflers. So you end-up with torque loss and a loud 4 door sporty family car. Right on.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 AM

"Does the Stillen "chrome PVC pipe with filter on the end" (or any other) seperate itself from the rest of the engine compartment? If not, how is it a CAI until you are at speed? From an idle at a stop light, for example, how long does it take for the hot air under the hood to escape and cold air to enter the engine?"

Nobody ever claimed that it was a CAI. Have you looked at the redesigned intake duct on the 04? It funnels DIRECTLY into the Stillen Intake. See pic below. Sure it's not a CAI. I dont like CAI's anyway, too much risk of hydrolock with the rain we have been having here in Cali.

And YES I have dynoed mine, April 04 with the Stillen and I got better results than the Injen CAI website results for the Max. I did have the Greddy's on there so that might have helped. Unorthodx Pulley was added later. Dyno'd car on Dynojet at Autotech Motorsports 4/22/04 also conducted A/F test.

So there's your food for thought

STOP HATING

Injen results here:

215HP / 221TQ

http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...nal/RD1945.jpg

My results have been posted here before...

217HP / 229TQ

Old 02-24-2005, 11:38 AM

No hating.
Your pic shows the filter exposed to the rest of the engine compartment doesn't it?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 AM

What's your Point? He said he doesn't like CAI!

To each his own...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM

Have you looked at the redesigned intake duct on the 04? It funnels DIRECTLY into the Stillen Intake.
I guess I don't understand what that meant?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM

It means you remove the stock air box and remove the MAF sensor Plastic piece off the airbox and attach it to your new filter. Thus you don't have to mess around with the mid pipe. This is a rather simple bolt on that takes about 30-45 min.

Hey Thug...why is your negative battery lead painted red?
Is that battery acid all over the place?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 PM

OKay...lol. I thought he was saying that the intake duct (from the front) plugs into the filter.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM

I think the red on negative battery terminal is protectant from corrosion. I prefer to clean my terminals regularly with baking soda and old toothbrush. I think a seal can be built behind the MAF between the battery and the firewall where the upper strut area is to minimize hot air. I bought this filter because I didnt want the headache of taking the front of the car apart to install the filter, considering the benefits were minimal at best. I also want a convenient place to remove filter and clean it. Also, it looks kinda neat where it is at. ANyone have suggestions as to designing a seal to keep hot air out?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Okiewan - I only replied because the tone of your message seemed to be hating on Deus. If you wanna leave your ride stock, cool & the gang and I think that's awesome.

You asked for a dyno, I provided not only mine but Injen's. Listen - I'm not saying that the Stillen is all that but it seems to do the job just as well if not better than the Injen's CAI based off the numbers I posted. BTW I have seen stock dyno's for 6th gens posted here with much lower numbers (not sure of exact #'s but they were lower than modded).

I recently added the U/O racing pulley and will have mine dyno'd again at Autotech and also with my new Gtech to compare numbers.

As for the battery terms - I usually clean mine but everytime the dealership does a service they put that crap on the terms grrrrr!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:05 PM

hey jiujitsuthug, im ready to see the new dynos! Just curious to see how the pulley works. Ive had my pulley for a while and I love it. Im also curious to see if you can put down the same or higher TQ numbers.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:08 PM

JiuJitsuThug, I don't hate on anyone.

I do however like to see facts when relating to bolt on HP and not from the mfg's site.
The question still remains after the posted HP/TQ gains above; all I saw were numbers. Need to see the curves to determine if it's useful HP or not and if there was any loss anywhere in the range.

Can you post the chart?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:05 PM

Make sure u guys reset ur ECUs after modding ur car. My underdrive pulley goes on this weekend.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Okiewan - cool bradda!

I posted the chart last year with the dyno. There seemed to be a slight loss right around 3500rpms - then it skyrocketed back up. Highest output on the powerband came at around 4800rpm.

Unfortunately I am getting a divorce and I lost my chart when my wife kicked me outta the house in October - LOL! I could check with Autotech and see if they still have my chart in their computer...

Glude - I will definitely post the dyno from my next one. I am gonna do it off my GTech first. Getting the weight calibrated at my dealership next Thursday to try and get a decent reading and then do some dyno runs over the weekend. Probably gonna run some 1/4 times and 0-60 just for chits and giggles Then I'll schedule a dyno run on a legit dynojet to compare the results.

Peace out!
JJT
Old 02-24-2005, 09:09 PM

Jiujitsu: Im a family law lawyer. DO u need my help?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:15 PM

One more Q
Was that dyno run with just the intake or with other mods as well?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:01 PM

Honestly, an intake alone is not going to give a significant amount of power. (maybe 0-10 hp). It's not worth taking it to a dyno if you're going to pay for the dyno fees. It does give an aggressive sound at w.o.t. and a slightly better response, but nothing major. You get the most out of it when you have a better exhaust system. Alone, it's just one of those "feel-good" mods that you get from doing something to your car. The most gains are found when it's used to support other major things down the road. Good luck with whatever else you have planned!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I went to Stillen and bought an intake from them. Its easy, about 30 min. I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. It seems to be responsive at low rpms and it has an awesome howl above 4500 rpm. Im pleased!!! My butt dyno likes it too!!
the intake you bought, was it meant for a 2004 or the 2005? .. i cant seem to find an intake by Berk, Stillen, nor Injen for an 2005 maxima~~ ?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tototee999
the intake you bought, was it meant for a 2004 or the 2005? .. i cant seem to find an intake by Berk, Stillen, nor Injen for an 2005 maxima~~ ?
Ours does fit the 05 Maxima, only if I weren't sold out of them right now......

I'll have more this week.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 02-25-2005, 07:21 AM
05WHTMAXISL

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
"Does the Stillen "chrome PVC pipe with filter on the end" (or any other) seperate itself from the rest of the engine compartment? If not, how is it a CAI until you are at speed? From an idle at a stop light, for example, how long does it take for the hot air under the hood to escape and cold air to enter the engine?"

Nobody ever claimed that it was a CAI. Have you looked at the redesigned intake duct on the 04? It funnels DIRECTLY into the Stillen Intake. See pic below. Sure it's not a CAI. I dont like CAI's anyway, too much risk of hydrolock with the rain we have been having here in Cali.

And YES I have dynoed mine, April 04 with the Stillen and I got better results than the Injen CAI website results for the Max. I did have the Greddy's on there so that might have helped. Unorthodx Pulley was added later. Dyno'd car on Dynojet at Autotech Motorsports 4/22/04 also conducted A/F test.

So there's your food for thought

STOP HATING

Injen results here:

215HP / 221TQ

http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...nal/RD1945.jpg

My results have been posted here before...

217HP / 229TQ

do these numbers whats the stock dyno without intake..212 ish?

Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 AM

Okiewan - My original Dyno was with the Stillen Intake and the Greddy SPII catback exhaust system. Injen website didnt specify exhaust system so I cant be sure if thats why I posted higher numbers.

As stated I am going to redyno because of the U/O pulley. I swear the more I drive with this new mod, the more I like it Revtimes are much quicker - check my Unorthodox Racing Pulley First Impressions thread for more details.

05whtmax - the dyno numbers I remember for the stock 6th gens were around 210-212. Cant be 100% sure, might be in an archived thread somewhere.

Deus - Thanks brother! I actually have representation and am appearing in court this Monday for Order to Show Cause DIVORCE SUCKS!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info. I'd REALLY like to see numbers with just the intake, but agree, it's a lot to spend to dyno one simple mod.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Make sure u guys reset ur ECUs after modding ur car. My underdrive pulley goes on this weekend.

If this is so straightforward why is my max so difficult. I leave the battery unhooked for nearly 3 hours and still have a check engine light after having a K&N filter in the airbox for 20 seconds! Now the paper one is abck ina nd the light is still on, going to dealer tues.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:10 PM

04BlackMaxx:
Several Possibilities. Could be a loose vacuum tube, possibly the MAF sensor is not reading correctly, O2 sensor, etc... I'm thinking this especially if the light is still on after having the intake back to stock.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Banned

Yeah, Pain in the A$$!! I hope the dealer does what they have to do and dont charge me (even tho i f'd it up)