6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rim Fix and Brakes Pulling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Rim Fix and Brakes Pulling?

I have a 2004 Maxima SL, 4-speed automatic. I hit a pothole and the stock alloy 17" rim is bent. The handling is all out of whack--the steering wheel has to be pulled towards the bent wheel to go straight.

A new rim costs $500. Where should I get the wheel fixed? I am in New York City. I am thinking of taking my wheel to Wheel America (http://www.fixrim.com/) for repairs. Any reviews?

Also, the steering wheel pulls to the left when I brake. I have 16.5 K miles on the car. What are the culprits? The dealer says its an alignment issue and redid it twice. Nevertheless, there is still a pull to the left regardless of where the bent rim is placed (left or right).

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM

When i hit my brakes, at any speeds, the whole steering wheel shakes like crazy. Very dangerous in certain conditions. The dealer told me it was my brakes and they replaced them for like 1200. (I think i was ripped off). I go back in on thursday to get it fixed again, hopefully i can come back with some positive new on that.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
When i hit my brakes, at any speeds, the whole steering wheel shakes like crazy. Very dangerous in certain conditions. The dealer told me it was my brakes and they replaced them for like 1200. (I think i was ripped off). I go back in on thursday to get it fixed again, hopefully i can come back with some positive new on that.
If your wheel shakes when you hit the brakes at highway speeds, it's probably your rotors are warped. I had the same thing happen with under 10k miles and the dealer turned them at no charge (because they know the stock rotors suck ). New rotors shouldn't run you anywhere near that much, even with new pads -- just to give you an example, I replaced my front/rear rotors and front pads on my Benz and that cost $800. With labor. I imagine Nissan is not as expensive...

I say look really carefully at your receipt from the work and see what the hell they charged you for... unless you're using some aftermarket stuff, or they replaced a TON of things, there's no way "brakes" are $1200.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
If your wheel shakes when you hit the brakes at highway speeds, it's probably your rotors are warped. I had the same thing happen with under 10k miles and the dealer turned them at no charge (because they know the stock rotors suck ). New rotors shouldn't run you anywhere near that much, even with new pads -- just to give you an example, I replaced my front/rear rotors and front pads on my Benz and that cost $800. With labor. I imagine Nissan is not as expensive...

I say look really carefully at your receipt from the work and see what the hell they charged you for... unless you're using some aftermarket stuff, or they replaced a TON of things, there's no way "brakes" are $1200.
I'm almost positive it was brakes and rotors. That was in august of last year, and the problem never went away. But i'll definatly check that out.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
SuPeRmOd

did u check here and eBay for guys that want to sell their 17's? post a WTB in the Classified if you don't see any FS.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check Ebay too. Sometimes you can get an auction for just one wheel.

CM.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:06 PM

willdotcom i used to work for wheels america in san francisco. its $120 to fix your rim. they do a great job. i highly recommend to go through with them.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
I'm almost positive it was brakes and rotors. That was in august of last year, and the problem never went away. But i'll definatly check that out.
it was your rotors, and yes you got ripped off quite well.