6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Little acceleration advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:47 PM

Little acceleration advice

Was wondering if I could get some tips on acceleration when using the triptronic gear shifter in the Max SE automatics. Actually any and all acceleration tips for the Max wud be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:55 PM

What kind of advice are you looking for???

I know that if you're cruising in automatic..and you punch the gas..the transmission shifts 2 gears down most of the time...

So I guess..if you're cruising...in 4th gear...and your rpm's aren't too high..you shift down two gears manually and punch it...to get the best acceleration.

Is that advice? I don't even know what that was!?

Sparq
Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Sorry for ...

Sorry for my vagueness. I am interested in knowing when you use the "manual overide" triptronic feature. When entering traffic, stuck in the mud? Do you use if you want to race? Do you shift in the red or right before ? Just curious, dont have to much experience with an automatic car this quick. Well correct that, I have a 96 Porsche Carrera (manual though) that I am terrified to drive ( see http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=390448) it only comes out of the garage on sunny clear days and I obey all laws for fear of a speeding ticket or just a DWB hassle. .
SO I guess I am wondering if others use the trip feature and if so how and when or is is it just a novelty.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:32 PM

voxefx - You might get some advice on this from SL owners also. All SLs built since Feb 6, 2004 have exactly the same 5 speed tiptronic tranny as the SE.

From previous posts here, I get the feeling many of us use the tiptronic rather sparingly. A few posters have even expressed the opinion it is little more than a gimmick. I don't agree with that assessment.

Most of those posting here about using the tiptronic seem to be primarily using it in an accelleration/performance manner.

I often use the tiptronic in urban situations where I don't want the car going into 5th, as I will always be speeding up and slowing down. Having the tranny go no higher than fourth seems to give me more 'compression braking', as well as more power when accellerating without having to drop down two gears.

I especially love the tiptronic for holding a lower gear and maximizing the compression braking when descending long steep curvy slopes while driving in the Blue Ridge (or other steep) Mountains.

As far as using the tiptronic for maximizing straight-ahead performance, I won't be much help. I'm not sure the tiptronic allows one to 'redline' the car, but I will say I would advise against 'red-lining' the car very often. I feel sure redlining does not enhance the longevity of any engine.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:45 PM

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Since the search feature is buggy right now, I am not able to search prior threads. Thanks sparq and lightonthehill for the response.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 PM

The main reasons I ever use the tiptronic:

1. For taking corners fast...I don't want the car to shift up when I'm in the middle of a curve...I want all the traction and power I can get at that point.

2. To enjoy the sound of my exhaust gargle from red line to idle as I'm slowing down
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

if you leave it in manual, it will UP-shift on it's own just before redline. it will also DOWN-shift if under 1000 RPM to prevent stalling.

you should play with it to see what works for you and where it exactly lets you shift. only thing you can hurt is your gas. unless of course you stay at high RPM excessively, then i see extra engine wear.

i suppose you can use the dyno to shift right at the peak point to maximize the power?

basically, when I want more power, I down-shift and let it up-shift on its own. the up-shift to 5th when I want to cruise. for steep declines, or sudden stops, i'll down-shift.

just keep your foot on the gas when shifting/accelerating.

btw, if you read the note on SEARCH you would see it's a limited feature for certain members. system is not at all "buggy" it's supposed to be this way.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM

Thanks NismoMax80 for the tips. Sorry for the faux pas on the "search" feature. Mea culpa ( My bad ).