6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Perfect rear spoiler!!! Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by PaL379
Deus will have it picked up, brought home, painted & installed before night fall
I'm not sure about that... to get the stillen kit and wing painted properly and cure (to prevent chipping) may take longer. especially the right lung sold to pay for it all.... so I'd say by the weekend
Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No, he didnt have to sell a lung, the chick in the yellow dress fronted him some money....
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think it'll look aiite
Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Im going to leave to go get my prize from Port Hueneme, California, about 100 miles up the 101 highway. Ill be back before 11 with pics in hand most likely. Not sure when kit and spoiler will be painted, but i will call the body shop tomorrow for lag time and maybe drop by for estimate. Any idea what it should cost to paint and install Stillen kit and rear wing?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Banned

Deus is an attorney, im sure hes kept both lungs during his modding stint. lol
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 PM

Im back with both lungs intact from up the coast with spoiler in hand. Hard to believe $20 for a perfect spoiler. Can't wait to get it on. Its got a funny looking cable on both sides that I am not sure of what it is. Its not the wire harness for LED brakelight. Should I rig up the brakelight?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:49 AM

I think the cable is a security cable to keep the spoiler from getting taken. I think Ill just pitch it. Body shop said they are still behind. Grrr, I want this psoiler painted and on the car. What to do . . . . . .
Old 04-08-2005, 03:18 AM
GrandPa

Found another shop. Later Warren
Old 04-08-2005, 03:44 AM

20$, thats a great price. Just try and find another shop since that one is behind.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 AM

Hopefully your wait doesn't turn out like mine for my body kit. Been since august and just haven't been able to work out a time to get it done.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 AM

Auguest???? Im sure as $h!t nt gonna wait 8 months. You're a much more patient guy than me!! The body shop Im waiting for does the work for the local Nissan dealer and they put my Spec V body kit on and did a good job. If figured maybe I could get the spoiler painted separately elsewhere since I can easily install it, and then wait it out for my body kit. Ill find someone who can shoot it now, I think.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:37 AM

i love the stock one but if i were to change it id go with that..... looks decent
Old 04-08-2005, 07:56 PM

Im getting it painted this week finally. Ill post pics when its done.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Auguest???? Im sure as $h!t nt gonna wait 8 months. You're a much more patient guy than me!! The body shop Im waiting for does the work for the local Nissan dealer and they put my Spec V body kit on and did a good job. If figured maybe I could get the spoiler painted separately elsewhere since I can easily install it, and then wait it out for my body kit. Ill find someone who can shoot it now, I think.
Yeah, it hasn't been fun. First it came broken. Then I didn't have the money because i needed tires and other things fixed. Then came winter and snow, and more snow. Now i was all set for april 18th while im in florida for business, but the shop is closed because its spring break that week back home. So now hopefully after graduation. Between school and work, and other things finding time is impossible.

Though everytime i see someone get the kit on, i get so impatient. Can't wait to see your results.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:41 PM

I found a hook up for another body shop which is why my body kit and spoiler will be installed this week. The parts are supposed to be painted today (saturday) and then the parts will dry and be polished monday and installed either Tuesday and or Wednesday. I also told him to paint the chrome strips, and fill the lip spoiler holes and the holes in front bumper where front license plate WAS.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

sounds good, but doesn't Cali require a front plate? what holes in the stillen lip?

I really hope the chrome gets prepped right.

btw, anyone think you're Mennonite yet? that's the first comment anti-chrome/all black cars get here in PA.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Well being originally from Lancaster, PA You would think I would be used to it. Actually, most cars have no chrome except ours for some reason. The holes are in the rear lip spoiler where I removed the Nissan burger. I told him to sand the chrome and prime it before painting it. If he thinks it wont work then he said he wouldnt paint it, but it really should not be a problem if prepped right. The Street Concepts MAxima is the only MAx I have seen that had chrome painted.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
After searching for a rear spoiler that was a little more exciting than the plain lip spoiler, and a little more exciting than the G35 spoiler or Accord spoiler, I think I finally found the perfect spoiler for hte 6th gen Max. Its from a 2002+ Subaru Impreza WRX. Its the lower rear spoiler, not the big giant one that comes on the WRX STi.

Dealer wants about $550 for it. You can find replicas for under $200 online. It has a cleared 3rd brake like built in, and it looks waaaaay better in person.

I went to the Subaru dealer in Costa Mesa becuase they had one in stock and I took pics of the spoiler sitting on the trunk. There are bolts sticking out of the spoiler, so in the pics, the spoiler sits about 2 inches higher than when its bolted down. This thing looks really really sharp. ****No, Im not putting a yellow spoiler on. It just happened to be yellow****

In fact, when I was test fitting it, everyone inside came out to see what I was doing and ALL agreed that the spoiler looks like it was made for the car. Everyone was amazed. The angles of the spoiler seem to flow with the MAxima's lines.
Anyway, here are a bunch of pics. Let me know what you think:

Here is a close up. Not how the angle of the outside of spoiler exactly matches the line of the trunk of the MAxima:

Here is a picture of a black Subaru WRX parked next to me with the spoiler on the back of his car. Note how mine looks rather plain without a spoiler now:
are u serious bout getting that spoiler??..and are you getting yellow with black maxi??i dont get it..did i miss somthing?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
are u serious bout getting that spoiler??..and are you getting yellow with black maxi??i dont get it..did i miss somthing?
Yeah you missed something, but its ok. That was the spoiler that the dealership had just to see what it would look like. He got one of ebay for 20 bucks (great price) and he will be painting it black to match the rest of his car.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
Ya, you did miss something.

This is DUES were talking about, and his nickname is just like the Rolling Stones song, PAINT IT BLACK!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 AM

wrx spoiler on maxi...kinda interesting...hope you post a pic after...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

deus, not sure on the wing. i do like the head lights and painted aftermarket grill. did do a right up on that with picture. I would search but it said i cant.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:44 PM

Slight delay at body shop. Part will get painted Tueday and installed Wednesday. Will keep you all posted. Of course those Photobucket a$$holes shut my picture linking down cuz I exceeded my alotted something or other. So someone will have to host my pics.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 PM

OK i was looking at a Scion TC fully loaded today and i couldnt help to niotice the spoiler on that thing... i think this would look sick on the maxima... its a huge lip sorta like the altima SE-R but more aggresive... will i have any luck fitting that on the maxy?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Kerr
deus, not sure on the wing. i do like the head lights and painted aftermarket grill. did do a right up on that with picture. I would search but it said i cant.
<<<<read under my name
_______
D-Max, time to get w/ Cardmain I suppose. or take down a few pics on the bucket. I would just sign up for another account
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 PM

Are u talking about this one? http://www.me-webs.com/

Its not too bad looking
Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM

The TC has similar headlights as ours. Not sure how the spoiler would look. It seems like maybe the TC's trunk is on more of an angle. The spoiler is nice though. Looks like the one i've seen on 300m's and stratus'.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 AM

Kerr: As Nismo said, I did a write up on the headlights. Look under the sticky of How To.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:09 AM

Ricer!

Why are you adding a spoiler to a maxima?

Is a front wheel drive car, spoilers only help rear wheel drive cars at higher speeds by providing down force on the wheels.

Don't rice it out, leave the car with some dignity! hehe
Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 AM

Oh...so that's why formula 1 cars don't have wings and stuff on the front...because they're rear wheel drive. After all, wings over non-drive wheels don't do anything.

You learn something new everyday...

Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by messerchmidt
Why are you adding a spoiler to a maxima?

Is a front wheel drive car, spoilers only help rear wheel drive cars at higher speeds by providing down force on the wheels.

Don't rice it out, leave the car with some dignity! hehe
Even tho most spoilers do not do anything but add looks to the car doesn't mean we shouldn't never put them on. Some spoilers make the car look better, flow better, and make the lines of the car better. Now there are some that don't. Like the huge ones that just don't fit with the overall package of the car. The bench spoilers for example, rice? sure, i personally hate it.

Its all a personal opinion, but if the car looks good with it, why wouldn't we put one on?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Example from a physics page on efffectiveness of spoilers for FWD cars...

"I belive they work okay for FWD cars as well. Critical event is hard deceleration, when rear end becomes awfully light and prone to loose traction. At high speed, rear spoilers add stability during braking, no matter what drive scheme. This could draw a line between stopping quickly and finding oneself in the weeds.

Many cars are very "nose-heavy" and their normal weight balance already makes rear end relatively unstable. To a degree, spoilers could help with that issue."

"That's one function of a rear spoiler. And saying it only works on RWD cars is missing the point by a wide margin. You really only need accellerative traction at lower speeds, for the most part, unless you are in a drag car. For the rest of the race cars, accellerative traction is only a very small portion of what a spoiler is good for. Helping provide downforce for higher cornering speeds is the primary function. Stability at high speeds is the the secondary function, and one needed regardless of which end is driving the car. And a FWD car needs stability entering a corner almost more than a RWD car. When you decellerate, weight transfers forward, reducing rear grip. That can cause oversteer bad enough to become loss of control. FWD cars have more trailing throttle oversteer than RWD cars, simply due to how the decellerating engine torque affects the front end of the car, not the rear.

Another factor in the "adding downforce" argument is that before you add downforce, you have to combat lift. Most cars, due to their proximity to the road, generate lift travelling trought the air, for the exact same reasons a plane does. In most cases, this lift manifests itself at the rear of the car, where the air becomes turbulent. Even driving down the road in a straight line can cause rear lift and instability. A spoiler can reduce this lift and make the car more stable. It's not downforce yet, merely combating the car's natural tendency to generate lift. And as has been shown, a FWD car is naturally more unstable at speed when decellerating for corners, even without lift factored in.

The final thing spoilers can do is actually reduce drag. In a front spoiler's case, that can come from directing air around a car's "dirty" bits (like the undercariage and wheels). Same for side skirts. For the rear spoiler, a properly designed one can re-attach the laminar airflow over the roof of the car, causing a reduction in turbulence over the rear window/decklid area that can cause more drag than there would be without the spoiler. Yes, a spoiler/wing at the very rear of the car can positively affect air flowing 3 feet ahead of it. For shorter, or hatchback cars, a rear roof spoiler can make the air think the car is longer, allowing a farther distance rearward before the air becomes turbulent (increasing the Kamm-effect). In this manner, they can add downforce, increase stability and reduce drag, all at the same time, if properly designed.

That last sentence is the kicker, however, as most aftermarket spoilers are not properly designed. And many well designed ones are using the age old tradeoff of drag vs stability. When they go that route, a spoiler sitting in "dirty" air is not as effective as one sitting in clean air."

Good info - today's lesson in physics is now over
Old 04-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
Not really feeling it on this Deus.....looks way to overstated for the Max. If you did get it you would really have to loose the stock one also. Main thing though.....like I say time and time again, if you like it, do it. Just posting my opinion. I think a nice black carbon fiber BMW lip spoiler would look good, but than again, you have the stock spoiler. Looks perfect as is. There is nothing I would change on your car right now. Again, just my 2 cents.

Hey carcus, your grille looks amazing! love the color on it!
where can i buy one just like it?
thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
Example from a physics page on efffectiveness of spoilers for FWD cars...

"I belive they work okay for FWD cars as well. Critical event is hard deceleration, when rear end becomes awfully light and prone to loose traction. At high speed, rear spoilers add stability during braking, no matter what drive scheme. This could draw a line between stopping quickly and finding oneself in the weeds.

Many cars are very "nose-heavy" and their normal weight balance already makes rear end relatively unstable. To a degree, spoilers could help with that issue."

"That's one function of a rear spoiler. And saying it only works on RWD cars is missing the point by a wide margin. You really only need accellerative traction at lower speeds, for the most part, unless you are in a drag car. For the rest of the race cars, accellerative traction is only a very small portion of what a spoiler is good for. Helping provide downforce for higher cornering speeds is the primary function. Stability at high speeds is the the secondary function, and one needed regardless of which end is driving the car. And a FWD car needs stability entering a corner almost more than a RWD car. When you decellerate, weight transfers forward, reducing rear grip. That can cause oversteer bad enough to become loss of control. FWD cars have more trailing throttle oversteer than RWD cars, simply due to how the decellerating engine torque affects the front end of the car, not the rear.

Another factor in the "adding downforce" argument is that before you add downforce, you have to combat lift. Most cars, due to their proximity to the road, generate lift travelling trought the air, for the exact same reasons a plane does. In most cases, this lift manifests itself at the rear of the car, where the air becomes turbulent. Even driving down the road in a straight line can cause rear lift and instability. A spoiler can reduce this lift and make the car more stable. It's not downforce yet, merely combating the car's natural tendency to generate lift. And as has been shown, a FWD car is naturally more unstable at speed when decellerating for corners, even without lift factored in.

The final thing spoilers can do is actually reduce drag. In a front spoiler's case, that can come from directing air around a car's "dirty" bits (like the undercariage and wheels). Same for side skirts. For the rear spoiler, a properly designed one can re-attach the laminar airflow over the roof of the car, causing a reduction in turbulence over the rear window/decklid area that can cause more drag than there would be without the spoiler. Yes, a spoiler/wing at the very rear of the car can positively affect air flowing 3 feet ahead of it. For shorter, or hatchback cars, a rear roof spoiler can make the air think the car is longer, allowing a farther distance rearward before the air becomes turbulent (increasing the Kamm-effect). In this manner, they can add downforce, increase stability and reduce drag, all at the same time, if properly designed.

That last sentence is the kicker, however, as most aftermarket spoilers are not properly designed. And many well designed ones are using the age old tradeoff of drag vs stability. When they go that route, a spoiler sitting in "dirty" air is not as effective as one sitting in clean air."

Good info - today's lesson in physics is now over

lol
Old 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM

carcus, where did you get that grill it is awsome.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MEXIDEV
carcus, where did you get that grill it is awsome.
Good old Ebay special. I think the vendor was prostreetlighting.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 PM

From what I understand, the WRX spoiler is a true functional spoiler. Check out my new pics of the installed WRX spoiler and Stillen body kit on a new thread. Let me know if u like it or not.