6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'05 Maxima problems? Considering getting a 6th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

'05 Maxima problems? Considering getting a 6th gen...

Hey everybody...

Got a call from the stealership over the weekend that has me debating like psycho whether to put myself into an '05 6spd...

I'm just curious in regards of the types of issues that have urupted in the 6th gens-please be honest, I need to decide if its the car for me. My 5.5 gen has 65K miles in 2 yrs, i have no warranty coverage. Before I have to maintain it with new tires/shocks/springs/brakes and have to eventually deal with the toll of the occasional3rd gear grind w/ no warranty-i'd like to hear the good and the bad with the 6th gen...

Also would like to know if there will be any changes in '06 cosmetically or powerwise..

Thanks
Manny
Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 AM

I just got a 2005 SL Smoke on Thurs. I love the car so far put on 300 miles. I was talking to the dealer and he said that the Maxima will be coming out in all wheel drive within a couple of years. I traded in a Audi A4 and do not regret the move at all. My mom has the brand new E320 4matic and I love driving the max more.

Question does everyone follow the 1250 mile break in period. I'm trying to keep the rpms under 4000 but i wanted to take a 200 mile road trip soon. Let me know..

Rich
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 AM

hmmm...smoke 6spd...yummy

being my last 4 cars have been black....it would be a black on black or Smoke on black
Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 AM

so many views and no one wants to recommend the car
Old 04-11-2005, 07:37 AM

I have an 05 Max that I bought last sept. I'm at 9000 miles and no problems what so ever. Those RSA's tires that have been bothering many folks, are still running great on mine.

as for 06, not sure what they are doing to the max.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Hey everybody...

Got a call from the stealership over the weekend that has me debating like psycho whether to put myself into an '05 6spd...

I'm just curious in regards of the types of issues that have urupted in the 6th gens-please be honest, I need to decide if its the car for me. My 5.5 gen has 65K miles in 2 yrs, i have no warranty coverage. Before I have to maintain it with new tires/shocks/springs/brakes and have to eventually deal with the toll of the occasional3rd gear grind w/ no warranty-i'd like to hear the good and the bad with the 6th gen...

Also would like to know if there will be any changes in '06 cosmetically or powerwise..

Thanks
Manny
So far I have seen far fewer complaints with the 05 vs the 04, but it seems that the majority of us on here are 04 owners. From the few 05 owners that post on here I reacall a few saying that the shimmy may still exist and the struts may still be bad too. However, I imagine that the vast majority of issues have been resolved in the second year. If you look at the TSB list for the 05 there are far fewer issues with the car.

As far as the 06 is concerned there have been few leads as to what is going to happen. Many of us are thinking Nissan will do something for the 25th anniversary. It may be small changes...who knows. IMHO I don't think Nissan is going to do anything too special. However I have confirmed rumors of RWD. I don't know if it will be for the 06 or in the 7th Gen. I assume the 7th Gen.

If you can I would ride it out for another few months until September to see what the 06 yields. The 06 is only 4-5 months away. Vague i know, but I hope this helps out a little.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 AM

my vehicle before was a toyota tacoma so the difference is like night and day. mechanically i haven't had any problems. with the car (yet). just for the record though im loving every minute of it.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:59 AM

One thing is for sure-there is not a perfect car out there in the market- my father just picked up an 05 745i last month, and it spent 2 weeks in the dealership wirth an ECU bug. I had my share of issues with my 5th gen but it was all fine and dandy under warranty- i'm not in that position anymore.

I was no big fan of the 6th gen at first, I will admit. But just like the 5th gen ,the 6th gen has grown on me. And I'm simply at a point where I have no possible reason to keep my car when for slightly more a month I can start over from 0 miles and be in a current car. The VQ35 is a dream, and a G35 doesn't make sense to me as far as my needs, the Alti SER was a mere thought but nevertheless a step backwards.
A lil tint a new shoes does wonders for the Max- as long as there are no mechanical problems, i can live with the decision.

Are there any issues with the interior? I remember reading back in the day with glovey issues? Anything else?
Also has anyone gone afermarket with the stereo system? Is it a single din space in that drawer/pocket?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 AM

I think they resolved many of the interior issues but find an 05 owner to confirm. I too might be going to an 05 soon so this is a good thread.

You can put in an aftermarket HU but you will need to order a metra dash kit for a new face. You will loose the tape player, no big deal imho.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by msoemax
I think they resolved many of the interior issues but find an 05 owner to confirm. I too might be going to an 05 soon so this is a good thread.

You can put in an aftermarket HU but you will need to order a metra dash kit for a new face. You will loose the tape player, no big deal imho.
i have no interior problems in my car YEt..hope i gont get it...and bout the aftermarket HU..and metra kit is ....i never used tape yet
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 AM

I am confused, can anyone else confirm the two post that said the Max will be coming out in AWD in a couple of year (probably the 7th gen), or if it will be RWD, like another post said. I figured that the 7th gen would go one of these two ways, more than likely I figured it would go AWD instead of RWD.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by NissanFreak2000
I am confused, can anyone else confirm the two post that said the Max will be coming out in AWD in a couple of year (probably the 7th gen), or if it will be RWD, like another post said. I figured that the 7th gen would go one of these two ways, more than likely I figured it would go AWD instead of RWD.
i beleive that nissan does the fwd mostly and infiiniti does rwd etc..am i wrong??
Old 04-11-2005, 08:43 AM

I have been hearing that it would be AWD for a while, so the 7th gen would probably get it. So I doubt it would be RWD either.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Manny,

I would recommend it. There will be fewer problems with the 05, and the ones you might have can be addressed here with the TSB's.

Go test drive it, you will be sold. Its great car for a great price.

Tip: look for a demo or slightly used one. The new ones take a big hit driving off the lot. Let someone else take that hit for you. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
dla

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Hey everybody...

Thanks
Manny

Manny
I got my ‘05 Max last December. I have put on about 4500 miles and to this point no mechanical issues, my RSA tires are fine (they haven’t been rotated yet) and the struts are still smooth. My interior is stable. No complaints at this time. I had a 4th generation Max and recently sold it (still wishing I would have kept it….it was the perfect go getter). Nissan historically has done some minor body detail changes and minor power boosts (a few hp) within the generation, and doing significant detail changes and power leaps at the generation change.
For the most part I like the 6th generation body style although I think the spoiler is a bit small and the back bumper is a bit big, that didn’t stop me from taking it home! I think the 6th generation looks big and the interior feels big, but it doesn’t drive and handle like it’s big. The only thing that feels big is what’s under the hood!
I say the 6th generation is a great bang for the buck.
dla
Old 04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Havn't read of any of the usual problems with the 05s. I went from a 03 Max to an 04 and absolutely love it. Go for it !

Bob
Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 AM

No problems here with my 05. Traded in my 04 in November 2004 and right now, I am so much happier with the 05. I did not change the H/U because there is nothing wrong with it, it is very clear and loud. I just added a 12" Kicker solo-baric to it and it sounds awesome. No shimmy, no cracks in the tires, nothing wrong with the interior either. The car is perfect so far. (knock on wood)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

ever consider an extended warranty? If it's running fine, why switch? I know the 7th gen will have more features, and even if I like the styling, I plan on keeping this one.

as far as anything but FWD, ask Nissan and they say there are no plans whatsoever. Maximas seel the most in the NE which desires FWD. if you want RWD or AWD you are to step up to Infinity.

Now if sometime during the 7th Gen, if all the competitors are adding AWD, then it may come true.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 AM

9,000 miles and zero issues.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 AM

RWD was hinted by a Nissan DTS when I posed the question why does the turn radius so big. He replied maybe when we go with RWD we can address that issue. So take it for what it's worth...
Old 04-11-2005, 12:30 PM

I don't see Nissan taking the Max to RWD, because that is what Infiniti is covering, but I could totally see them taking the Max to AWD.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM

thanks for the responses guys...keep'm coming

I notice still many '04 guys around- makes this transition easier..

QUESTION: Those with AFTERMARKET RADIO's- what happens to the display on the info screen? does it remain?
ALSO HOW"S THE NAVI? User friendly?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 AM

ehh...those bums at Nissan World, Springfield NJ dont have a 6spd in stock and I haven't heard from them in a few days. They tried getting me into an SE-R, no-no.
I'll be calling a few other dealerships in the next couple of days.

Anyone familiar with incentives on repeat Nissan buyers? And what dealerships offer themselves to repeat buyers? Thats why I was trying to stick with them, oh well...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 AM

DO NOT GET A 6th GEN MAXIMA

spend your money somewhere else
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DarkHaze
DO NOT GET A 6th GEN MAXIMA

spend your money somewhere else
justify your reason why...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 AM

Lets hear your reasons. I love my max, I wouldnt have anything else
Old 04-14-2005, 07:18 AM

Not familiar with any incentives for repeat nissan buyers. I just traded my '01 SE for an '05 SE and I was given a $1500 credit for something other the rebate Nissan currently has so you may want to ask about it. I didn't even ask since the credit was in my favor.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:45 AM

Got my pewter(bronze) Maxima last week. Love the car. Knock on wood, none of the problems discussed here except for a rattle that comes from the right-front. Can't determine what it is yet. Very happy with the car so far.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:21 AM
wsu

rattle

I have only had one issue with my 05 SL (purchased in Dec 04, have over 10K miles on it). At about 4K miles a high-pitched rattle/ringing emerged from the front part of the car. The noise would only happen when I was driving and accelerating the car, it did not present itself while idling or revving in park. I took it to the dealership recently and the diagnosis was that one of the bolts on the catalytic converter front support bracket had (for some unknown and troubling reason) come loose and was missing. Further, there were some cracks in said bracket. This was under warranty, of course. They emplaced a bolt for the one that was missing and ordered another bracket to replace the cracked one. The dealership has the new part and said it would take about an hour to rectify, but I haven't had time to go back and get it taken care of. This did not affect the performance or operation of the car.

The dealership showed me a print out of exaclty what the problem was (including a service picture). From this information, I infererred that though my problem had perhaps not risen to the level of NIssan having issued an official service bulletin, there was a ready "service information" statement about it leaving me to believe that this was not an isolated case.

All other things considered, I think you would be please with the Maxima. Some people don't claim to feel much of a difference in the ride of the SE vs. the SL, but to my experience, the SL rode significantly more comfortably and made my choice easy since I spend quite a bit of time driving. The SE was just too stiff and not as soft/comfortable of a ride/feel.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM

I have an 05 and it is a good car overall but if I had it to do all over again I would get the G35
Old 04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

get an 05, altho my 04 has had no probs at all and was built in 06/04, one year after the first 04 were built...no probs go for it...
Old 04-16-2005, 10:33 AM

I have a 2005 SE I bought in January and so far I have had no real problems and the car is a dream. The only little annoyance I had which I noticed the next day after buying ir, was a weird ratlle or buzz sound coming from underneath the car at certain speeds or when the transmission would shift. Almost sounded like an exhauast shield or something that at just the right rpm would rattle. Anyhow I finally got the car to the dealer this morning and what they found was simply a missing bolt fro one of the exhaust brackets and installed a new bolt into the bracket which solved the noise completely.

I have had many cars in my life and I have to say that this 2005 SE is a truly nice car.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a '05 and love it. No problemos at all. I have had it out for a couple 600-1000 mile business trips and have no issues what so ever. I have an SE, so the ride is firm but not bothersome. I previously had a '01 camry V6 and the Max is definitely a step up in every catagory.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:36 PM

mine was built in april of o3 and i have more miles than ill admit. though 90% are highway. i have had 0 problems and i bought my car in may-june time frame of 03
Old 04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All, Looking at getting a 05 SL what are guys paying for one.

Chris
Old 04-17-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris16
Hello All, Looking at getting a 05 SL what are guys paying for one.

Chris
i kinda paid high...got all options except elite package..for $32000..i paid 800 actually more than my 04 TL...i did get good deal on the TL tho..maxima was pretty high..had MSRP for $34800
Old 04-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased my 04 SE January 2004 currently at 25,000 miles.
No problems so far/very happy with my purchase
Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM

I paid $28800 for an 05 SE with DPP. Drove it home today. So far (All 100 miles) it is awesome. I did end up adding the extended service paln (I know probablely a waste of money), but I just got rid of my 97 ( i loved that car) and I think I replaced every bolt-on, alternator, starter, AC compressor, before 90K. Hopefully this holds up a little better, becuase I do love driving a MAX.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM

so far so good

owner of a new 05 se
about 400 miles and no problems (knock on wood).
Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by wsu
I have only had one issue with my 05 SL (purchased in Dec 04, have over 10K miles on it). At about 4K miles a high-pitched rattle/ringing emerged from the front part of the car. The noise would only happen when I was driving and accelerating the car, it did not present itself while idling or revving in park. I took it to the dealership recently and the diagnosis was that one of the bolts on the catalytic converter front support bracket had (for some unknown and troubling reason) come loose and was missing. Further, there were some cracks in said bracket. This was under warranty, of course. They emplaced a bolt for the one that was missing and ordered another bracket to replace the cracked one. The dealership has the new part and said it would take about an hour to rectify, but I haven't had time to go back and get it taken care of. This did not affect the performance or operation of the car.

The dealership showed me a print out of exaclty what the problem was (including a service picture). From this information, I infererred that though my problem had perhaps not risen to the level of NIssan having issued an official service bulletin, there was a ready "service information" statement about it leaving me to believe that this was not an isolated case.

All other things considered, I think you would be please with the Maxima. Some people don't claim to feel much of a difference in the ride of the SE vs. the SL, but to my experience, the SL rode significantly more comfortably and made my choice easy since I spend quite a bit of time driving. The SE was just too stiff and not as soft/comfortable of a ride/feel.
Now there IS a TSB for this bracket, mine is cracked also.

Quick Reply: '05 Maxima problems? Considering getting a 6th gen...