6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

removing ding from rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

removing ding from rear bumper?

Some imbecile left me a nice present on my rear bumper tonight... a nice bump and there's a not-too-sizeable dent in the damn thing. I was gonna take pictures but I'll probably wait until daylight...

It's in the corner, so it's more of a dent/ding than anything else, and it LOOKS like I should be able to pull it/push it back out from the inside somehow... if I could get to it...

Yeah, I probably should just have a body shop do it, but it really looks like it's not a big deal since there are no apparent scratches (must have been an old car with rubber bumpers or something) and I might just forgo the rear bumper altogether later if I put a body kit on the thing...

So... anybody has any ideas about how hard it is to take the rear shell off the bumper? I'll get some pictures in the morning, and hopefully I can do some before/after if I figure out how to take it off...

Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go to body shop. Not too expensive
Old 05-07-2005, 05:40 AM

had same thing on my car after i backed into a phone pole. just get under there and use the handle of a hammer, or some other piece of wood and push, pry it own. the bumper is pretty accessible. you might even be able to puch it out with your hand.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:27 AM
wsu

Ouch!

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
go to body shop. Not too expensive
I have something similar to this that I need fixed. The body shop estimate was $300-$400.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Roshan

I have worked at a body shop before... small dings can be removed with heat.... get a hair dryer or a heat gun.. and heat the area where the ding is.. and gently push it out..

Old 05-07-2005, 02:52 PM

As long as no paint has been removed you may be able to get it back in shape. Some a$$ valet guy backed my max into a car cuz the license plate bolts gouged the paint. I was installing my stillen body kit anyway so i had body shop take out the gouges. Looks great now.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Take it to a paintless dent removal place like Dent Wizard since the paint isn't broken.
Alternatively, take it to a place that specializes in bumpers like Chips Away (not sure if this is just a Canadian franchise).

Avoid body shops like the plague for a repair like this!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:08 PM

I tried nudging it out by hand and it was actually hard as hell... the handle to the ice scraper thing that I have in the trunk did the trick though... looks almost like new. When I have some time I'll work on the rest, but IMO it wasn't worth taking to the body shop for...

http://www.viguera.net/images/maxima/05-07-05_1107.jpg

It's much better now though, and the paint wasn't damaged or anything, just "bumped in" -- so I guess it won't even be noticeable when I'm done with it.

I'll take some "after" pictures tomorrow when it's light out.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 PM
SuPeRmOd

now that's a ding! i have a slight crease horizontally in the middle. I considered heat and reaching in there to flatten it back. first warm day off i'm going at it. then hopefully i can polish out the minor scratches back there.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Wow, I got a ding on the 05 when it still had the paper plates on it. Dentless repair cost the hag that did it. I was not happy. Yours looks a tad more than just a ding. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
Wow, I got a ding on the 05 when it still had the paper plates on it. Dentless repair cost the hag that did it. I was not happy. Yours looks a tad more than just a ding. Good luck.
Trust me, it's not as bad as it looks... I'll take a picture in the morning and you'll be surprised at what it looks like now.

I remember thinking that the bumpers seemed a little hollow and flimsy when I was washing the car once... now I know that the shell is probably like that on purpose. All of the impact just got absorbed, and the plastic was pushed in, but the bumper is basically intact.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:15 AM

If that was my car and I couldn't make it look 100% I would be so pissed off until it was 100% that I'd get it fixed right immediately!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:03 AM

Help

I had an parking lot accident scraping the right-reat quarter. I didn't want to replace the bumper ($$$) and they couldn't fix/fill plastic bumper. They did a very good job they could for little $$$ I spent. But from some angles when the light is right, I can see some unevenness along where the bumper meets the body. I'm thinking of hiding it by put on a sticked-on side marker or bumper guard strip. Anyone knows any sources I can go get one of these.
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 PM

bumper strips

hey max fan. what color is your max? i have some bronze bumper strips i never put on i could sell you.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks joffy.
But my Max is Smoke. Did you plan to put it on but backed out ? I've been think hard how a strip would look on the Max -on the side, along where bumper meets body, about 20" in length. I found a strip glossy black like the door trims (on the web, so can't really do a visual).
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 AM

BTW courtesyparts.com sells Nissan touchup paint... in case anyone needs and didn't know...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

Wow that stinks...
Old 06-09-2005, 02:28 PM
wsu

gouges removed

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
As long as no paint has been removed you may be able to get it back in shape. Some a$$ valet guy backed my max into a car cuz the license plate bolts gouged the paint. I was installing my stillen body kit anyway so i had body shop take out the gouges. Looks great now.
I had something like this happen to me. I don't do body work myself. The final bill from the body shop was just under $450.00. Ouch!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:04 PM

just get a ding king! http://www.dingking.tv/?source=gg&ca...rm=ding%20king
Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
wsu

plastic material for ding king?

Originally Posted by Maxium
Thanks for the suggestion and link.

I make the following comments with full admission that I know next to nothing about body work: I'm not confident that the ding king would have been appropriate for my situation because as I understand it the ding king is for metal applications in which the metal can be flexed back in to its original shape. The situation I had was in the rear bumper (license plate bolt heads from another vehicle had pressed depressions into my bumper) and so it doesn't seem to me that these could have been "popped out". As I understand it, the holes had to be filled then finished over. If you know otherwise then maybe next time I will try ding king.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM

Same issue with rear bumper, they impressions had to be filled in because they pierced the bumper. It would have cost me 200.00 if I were to have to had paid for it.

Originally Posted by wsu
I had something like this happen to me. I don't do body work myself. The final bill from the body shop was just under $450.00. Ouch!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 AM

Opps, I didn't originally catch the part where you indicated the bumper bolts had punchured the plastic bumper. Your are correct, the Ding King will not help you with this. However, should you get a ding in the door or a metal/plastic part the Ding King will work.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
wsu

Originally Posted by Maxium
Opps, I didn't originally catch the part where you indicated the bumper bolts had punchured the plastic bumper. Your are correct, the Ding King will not help you with this. However, should you get a ding in the door or a metal/plastic part the Ding King will work.
Thanks for the clarification. I hope I never have a situation where I would need to consider using ding king. So far, so good. I always park away from other cars if at all possible. More exercise for me and the car body stays cleaner.