6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New mod: Max PC :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by super_maxima
This is cool idea. I was thinking about something like this too. (It would be nice to have internet access in your car too, but that's another story). Once you have a working PC in your car, you don't really need the navigation screen any more, since you can get better software (even MS Streets and Tips). However, I'm wondering about the legal consequences of this? What happens when the police pulls you over (happens a lot to me ), and they see you were watching a movie while driving, ha ha?
Well that's simple enough... you just don't watch a movie while driving and concentrate on what's important...

But seriously though... unless you're a moron and you drive past the cops playing Chappelle's Show or something, the interface looks pretty much OEM. If you're watching a movie while driving -- which chances are you shouldn't be doing -- you can always kill the DVD portion of the app with 2 taps on the screen. Tap #1 brings up the menu, tap #2 you press stop, and it's just a black screen.

I know in some states it's very much illegal unless you're using it as a "driving aid" (navigation, I suppose), but even a lot of the OEM stuff out there has fancy interfaces for XM and radio controls... it's really not that much different. And if you REALLY don't wanna chance it, you can edit the skin and remove the "DVD" button, or choose a skin that doesn't let you do anything other than play music and GPS.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Not for rookies!!

Awesome mod man.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:21 PM

sssswwwweeeeeettttt........
Old 10-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice install, I already got a system together, just waiting for cash to get the touch screen and a 4-5 channel amps plus some peripherals and I'm all set. BTW, may I ask where you bought your lilli from, and how much was it running for? I own a 3rd gen btw, just couldn't resist a car pc thread.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
nice install, I already got a system together, just waiting for cash to get the touch screen and a 4-5 channel amps plus some peripherals and I'm all set. BTW, may I ask where you bought your lilli from, and how much was it running for? I own a 3rd gen btw, just couldn't resist a car pc thread.
wow... thread back from the dead after 5 months...

I got 2 lilliputs from people over at mp3car.com on their FS forums. The first one I put in the Max, then I moved it to my other car while I re-worked my approach (it ended up in a single DIN enclosure in the other car, which I could do without losing the HU, unlike the Maxima).

Then I got another screen and started over... I put a simple SPST switch from Radio Shack on the screen housing so I could turn it off and let the radio/navigation do its thing while on road trips at night, but everything is pretty much the same still.

I switched the navigation from Map Monkey (based on Destinator) to iGuidance, mostly because it has better directions, options for detours and stuff and street names in the 3D view (as opposed to MM that only has them in 2D mode)

This is what the navigation screen looks like now:

I'll post some up-close pictures of the interface in another post (too many images on this one )
Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 PM

Some more shots... this is all using FrodoPlayer from mp3car.com... I like RoadRunner as well but it's a little clumsier, so I'm primarily using Frodo for media (mp3, ripped DVDs and videos) and XM radio for now, along with iGuidance for GPS. So far so good, but just like everything else I'm always looking out for new stuff...

Main Media Screen:

Main screen:

Video -- SNL Celebrity Jeopardy :

Old 10-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Not for rookies!!

You should do like gec and get prices together for doing installs.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 PM
.org extraordinaire

Im In Love

Hey VIG what parts/component did u buy from mp3car.com?

Im interested in one of thease setups, and where did you locate everything, and what do you use to power it? and how come the pics are so small?
Thanks Bro.

Kam
Old 10-30-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by wesallenjr
You should do like gec and get prices together for doing installs.
Naaah... I already get paid good money working on computers... I don't need the hassle of having to do it outside of work...

But I'll help anybody out with questions though... that's the good and bad thing about this site, there's always somebody else with something new that you want in your car
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Man you're full of questions, aren't you?

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Hey VIG what parts/component did u buy from mp3car.com?
I got the screens (one for each car) and the screen --> single DIN case from mp3car, as well as all the software. The front-ends (Road Runner & Frodo) are free (well, donation-ware), although there are a couple that are for sale as well. PhoneControl (to use Bluetooth + your cell phone via the computer) is for sale as well, but I don't think it supports my RAZR so I never followed up on it.

That's the good thing about free software I suppose... you can try 3-4 different ones until you find something you like...

Im interested in one of thease setups, and where did you locate everything,
Well you know what... it's all about how much time and effort you wanna put into something. A thing like an intake or your brakes is something that you could do yourself if you're careful and pay attention to instructions... this is basically the same thing...

I got my 7" lilliput from mp3car.com for my other car and took it apart, then I got a single DIN enclosure from digitalww.com and went to town. The finished product looks like this and I saved some dough by doing it myself. Then it was just a matter of putting the thing into a single DIN slot in my car and it was off the races.

For the Maxima it was a bit more complicated because of the stupid center console design. I ended up getting some of the work done initially by Altimat, and eventually just did most of the work afterwards myself. I got a spare info screen cover (in case I f'd it up ) and hooked everything up to that. I have the USB and VGA cables running under the shifter column, and I got the power running to the front ACC by the passenger's footwell. I used quick disconnects for the power from Radio Shack to make sure I could unplug everything if I need to take the screen off or something, but it's all held up pretty well so far.

and what do you use to power it? and how come the pics are so small?
The pics are not small... you just have to click on them.

The screen came with its own power regulator. It was a simple boxy-looking thing that (supposedly) helps with the voltage jumps in the car. It's not a big thing so I just tucked it behind the dash out of sight. Most of the screens come with a 12V power brick as well as a car adapter, but the screen is 12V natively so you could run it off a distribution block if you had one in the car already. I'd recommend against running it straight off the battery, since the voltage jumps to 14V+ during crank, and you'll probably end up frying the screen...

Not sure what (if anything) I left out, but feel free to ask away.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:02 PM

viguera helped me get mine up and running a few months ago - i never posted pictures because i couldn't create a topic due to the 15 posts minimum thing

i still don't have the screen mounted properly - duct tape i meant to ask viguera how he permanently mounted his
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Excellent install...
Old 10-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
viguera helped me get mine up and running a few months ago - i never posted pictures because i couldn't create a topic due to the 15 posts minimum thing

i still don't have the screen mounted properly - duct tape i meant to ask viguera how he permanently mounted his
Glad I could help...

I started experimenting with JB Weld and stuff, but in the end it was double-sided tape to the rescue, believe it or not. I removed the screen from the housing and CAREFULLY applied tape directly to the glass of the touchscreen panel, making sure to stay outside of the circuit trace. Then I cut off the excess tape and super-duper carefully mated the screen to the back of the info screen cover and that was all she wrote.

Before I started I made sure that all the cables were secure with ties and tape, and I taped both the LCD panel and controller together (again, double-sided tape is your friend). I thought about all kinds of different ways of keeping the plastic enclosure around the back but it just gets in the way because there's not a whole lot of horizontal clearance behind the info screen.

BTW, if you're gonna go that route make sure you use electrical tape and cover all the places where both screens touch... check the write-ups on digitalww.com for ideas and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Excellent install...
Thanks... things are still a bit rough around the edges but that's the thing about mods... I started working on this like 9 months ago and I'm working on this every damn day. If it's not a new idea to change something (new GPS antenna for better reception, the power button for the screen, etc) then it's some new skin or a new version of the software or a new front-end...

I suppose it's just like modding the car itself... you're always out there looking for what else you're gonna do to it.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:41 PM

yeah i have the screen outside of it's housing and it's carefully taped in there - i've had to reapply tape once already though because of it coming loose - it's definitely not a permanent solution in my opinion

why aren't there just screws

and regarding the working on it everyday thing - i'm only in town on the weekends to drive her and i spend too much time on new things - finally upgraded the soundcard this weekend - HUGE difference over the onboard sound - it seems like my thinkpad has probably the worst onboard sound of any laptop ever

i keep thinking i'm going to sell the laptop and do a pc - but every once in a while i take the laptop out to fix / change things every once in a while - i hate thinking of doing that with a desktop - but i would love to get rid of my ghetto rigged dock soldered 15' power button that runs through the car right now and replace it with a nice startup/shutdown controller
Old 10-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by viguera
Naaah... I already get paid good money working on computers... I don't need the hassle of having to do it outside of work...

But I'll help anybody out with questions though... that's the good and bad thing about this site, there's always somebody else with something new that you want in your car
Well if it's ok with you, I 'll put you on speed dial when I decide to get this mod done.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wesallenjr
Well if it's ok with you, I 'll put you on speed dial when I decide to get this mod done.
Let me know...

The "problem" is that something like this is not cheap. The screen will run you over $200 new if you want a touchscreen... non-TS will be much cheaper, but then you'll have to use a keyboard/mouse and most of the interfaces are built around touch.

The computer can be cheap... if you don't mind skimping on a few things. If you go with a pre-built unit you're gonna pay out the anus, so you're better off doing it yourself by buying the parts. Something like an Ampie case will run you $70-80, a mini-itx mobo will run you anywhere from $100-250, etc.

I lucked out because I had a nice laptop I could use, so that saved some dough... but so far between both cars I've put a ton of cash into this with no signs of stopping
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Not for rookies!!

Let me know...

The "problem" is that something like this is not cheap. The screen will run you over $200 new if you want a touchscreen... non-TS will be much cheaper, but then you'll have to use a keyboard/mouse and most of the interfaces are built around touch.

The computer can be cheap... if you don't mind skimping on a few things. If you go with a pre-built unit you're gonna pay out the anus, so you're better off doing it yourself by buying the parts. Something like an Ampie case will run you $70-80, a mini-itx mobo will run you anywhere from $100-250, etc.

I lucked out because I had a nice laptop I could use, so that saved some dough... but so far between both cars I've put a ton of cash into this with no signs of stopping
I figured that I would have to pay a bit to get this done. For all that I am getting it will be well worth it...the dealer wanted $2,000 for the navi alone, so I don't mind paying about half that to get so much more.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:11 PM

yeah you can keep a nice setup under $1000 easily - definitely do not get a non-touchscreen lcd - navigating front ends without it is difficult
Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 PM

I got my whole system for 230 bucks, talk about luck, now I need about 300 bucks for the TS, would love xenarc, but lilliput are cheaper, they also have some taiwan brand for 150, and that thing is more of a gamle, some are super reliable, some crap out after 8 hours of use. To get sounds, I figure a 4-5 channel amps, the cheap stuff is around 120 bucks, around 300 bucks for iguidance + gps mouse, so yeah, 1000 sounds about right.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Not for rookies!!

yeah you can keep a nice setup under $1000 easily - definitely do not get a non-touchscreen lcd - navigating front ends without it is difficult
In my opinion it doesn't make much sense to do this without going touch screen.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by disgruntled
I got my whole system for 230 bucks, talk about luck, now I need about 300 bucks for the TS, would love xenarc, but lilliput are cheaper, they also have some taiwan brand for 150, and that thing is more of a gamle, some are super reliable, some crap out after 8 hours of use. To get sounds, I figure a 4-5 channel amps, the cheap stuff is around 120 bucks, around 300 bucks for iguidance + gps mouse, so yeah, 1000 sounds about right.
What's a gps mouse?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM

I have been thinking about this as well... But i will be doing a XBOX 360 or Highly modded XBOX instead of a computer... A modded XBOX can do the same thing.. including GPS... I have seen this done before on another forum, i just cant remember were.. I am on a bunch of them... It's been a while, due to other important matters... I will let you guys know what i find out.. I have had this planned for a while.. Later....
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 PM

not that it's recommended - but you can download iguidance - and even retail it's only ~$100 i thought

gps mouse == usb gps receiver
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
I have been thinking about this as well... But i will be doing a XBOX 360 or Highly modded XBOX instead of a computer... A modded XBOX can do the same thing.. including GPS... I have seen this done before on another forum, i just cant remember were.. I am on a bunch of them... It's been a while, due to other important matters... I will let you guys know what i find out.. I have had this planned for a while.. Later....
Yeah I thought about an xbox using XBMC, but in the end it's all about the software that's available. After spending close to a year planning/running this thing, I wouldn't go with anything but Map Monkey or iGuidance, although some people think Routis is pretty good as well.

But that's because my priority is pretty good mp3 support, XM radio and navigation... I don't care if I can get weather forecasts or play games in the car... that's not really my thing... and even the stuff that I installed for "cool" factor (web browser, MAME, etc only got used a couple of times and then never touched again...

Good luck with your setup.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:03 AM

Yeah I thought about an xbox using XBMC, but in the end it's all about the software that's available. After spending close to a year planning/running this thing, I wouldn't go with anything but Map Monkey or iGuidance, although some people think Routis is pretty good as well.

But that's because my priority is pretty good mp3 support, XM radio and navigation... I don't care if I can get weather forecasts or play games in the car... that's not really my thing... and even the stuff that I installed for "cool" factor (web browser, MAME, etc only got used a couple of times and then never touched again...

Good luck with your setup.

Thanks... XBMC? What is that? Maybe i missed that somewhere.. Please let me know.. I will be converting it for shows.. PC might be still an option, or ill add it next to my XBOX.. I have ALOT of time to decide... I really like the idea of a PC in the car, but as you said how much time do you really use it? The COOL factor is the only reason i would do this type of mod.. I change my mind all the time, due to the fact of the changing times.. But, it will never stop me modding my vehicle.. IT the ONLY true hobby i have.. Thanks for the info bro... keep us updated on you great mods...

---crap i feel stupid.. XBOX Media Center...(XBMC) LOL... sorry, i work nights and sometimes i need a kick in the head... LAter.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM

Revived again! I have a couple questions. How was the cable routed for the orange screen? I will be adding a carputer and a 7" lilliput screen very soon. Also, My window tint is metalized and wonder if ther's somewhere to mount the gps antenna on the front windshield? I will definatlly post pics in a new thread when I get started. Are there some link to where the screen software is located. Like frodo player etc.. I cant find the roadrunner software. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeMaximus
Revived again! I have a couple questions. How was the cable routed for the orange screen?
The cable for the "orange" info screen can be dropped behind the head unit and hooked up to the info screen at the bottom. There's very little slack, but it obviously reaches -- because there are quite a few people that have done this...

In addition, I added a couple of strips of double-sided tape to each side of the screen so that it doesn't wobble down there. It wasn't a problem but I know the cable is tight so a couple of bumps might have pulled it back a bit.

My window tint is metalized and wonder if ther's somewhere to mount the gps antenna on the front windshield? I will definatlly post pics in a new thread when I get started.
You could put the antenna in the front dash, and run the wiring to the A-pillar and down somewhere, I suppose. I have mine in the rear shelf and the tint (non-metallic) doesn't give me any problems. Alternatively you could get a weather-proof GPS antenna and put it on the roof or something... I'd suggest you try the rear shelf first and see what happens.

Are there some link to where the screen software is located. Like frodo player etc.. I cant find the roadrunner software. Thanks!
All of the front-ends and supporting software sites are linked from mp3car.com under their forums. Check out the Software --> Front Ends folder...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 AM

viguera is correct on everything

I put my gps receiver on back right of the front dash and run the wire from under the passenger seat - under the floormat and then on the right side of the dash next to the door - it's almost not able to be seen and used double sided tape to keep it up there on the dash
Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 PM

Tight ****.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 PM
.org extraordinaire

viguera is correct on everything

I put my gps receiver on back right of the front dash and run the wire from under the passenger seat - under the floormat and then on the right side of the dash next to the door - it's almost not able to be seen and used double sided tape to keep it up there on the dash
xcept the stock navi actually has teh GPS antenna in the middle of the dash behind teh security LED blinker. Thats where I gonna put my anti soon as I build one of thease.

Kamski
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 AM

xcept the stock navi actually has teh GPS antenna in the middle of the dash behind teh security LED blinker. Thats where I gonna put my anti soon as I build one of thease.

Kamski

Cool, nice idea
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 AM

...this is a pretty nice mod. I've been thinking of doing this for a while but wonder if I can use the stock Navi screen to do this mod in or is it a new screen all together?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:01 AM

depends on how good you are with electronics, if you are good, you could figure out a hack to make your navi screen VGA compatible, and then figure out a way to hack into the touchscreen control board to make it USB compatible, then write a driver for it. Other wise, go buy one, much easier, and are MEANT to be used with PCs. Also, depending on your financial situation, a touch screen can run anywhere from $120 - $500. Some brands to be considered are Lilliput (be wary of the model differences), Xenarc, and Super (Some Hong Kong brand being sold on Ebay.) if you want to know more, visit mp3car.com, or if you want the Ebay seller's link, I can give it you also, just shoot me a PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:12 AM

...in that case I see myself getting an ew screen and it seems moving the nav screen down to the bottom. What's the best brand (screen wise) to get? Also, what's the actual cost of the mod approximately?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 AM

Best brand right now is Xenarc, but it does come with a matching price tag. The actual cost for the mod varies, and are dependent on several factors:

Software (To buy or not to buy, that is the question...If you catch my drift)
Hardware:

Do you already own a computer that you are willing to put in your car? (say your beat up 500mhz POS), or do you want a computer that are more adapted for car/industrial use. Prices can range from FREE~2,000.00
Things to consider:
OS (operating system)
GPS software
DVD playing software
any other software that you think is appropriate for in car use.

Touch screen: what size and brand are you looking for? size ranges from 4 inches to 15 inches, but the most commonly used size is 7 inches. Prices already discussed for the 7 inch.

GPS mouse to do GPS navigation with.

Upgrade soundcard or not. This is to your preference, but you can use the built in sound. Prices are usually around 100 bucks.

Upgrade graphic card or not. again, up to you preference, most built in graphics are adequate.

XM satellite or not? optional, but adds to the wowness factor. The actual unit cost varies 30~60 bucks.

Power supply: you can use an inverter (not recommended, but toleratable) or DC-DC power supply. Costs 70~200

Rear view cam or not (use for reversing), again, highly optional, but adds to the total package. prices 10-100

Amplifier: 2 or 4 or whatever channels you want, but no mono, unless you are using that in addition to the forementioned sample. This is a necessity item, as you will need it to get sound from your CarComputer to your Car's speakers. Prices dependent upon brand, taste, and luck.

Various cables and wires necessary for the installation. prices vary depending on what you need. Some items of necessity are: VGA extension cable, mini (earphone) plug to RCA adapter, RCA Y adapter, RCA extension cable, 8-10 gauge power cabling, fuses, and other Amplifier installation hardware.

With all that said, you can have your whole system for around 1000 or less, if you are patient enough to wait for a good deal from Ebay, or from users selling their wares. A word of warning though, when I say patient, I meant up to half a year or more in waiting time to get all the components together. Plus, the installation cost, if you are not doing it yourself.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
...in that case I see myself getting an ew screen and it seems moving the nav screen down to the bottom. What's the best brand (screen wise) to get? Also, what's the actual cost of the mod approximately?
The overall cost depends on what you already have, and what you want to do yourself. Chino sells the screens modded into the 4th gen (I think) console for $400. If you wanna get the screen and do it yourself, you might end up spending somewhere around there, or even a few hundred less if you get a cheaper screen. I've tried a few and they're basically the same... the Xenarcs are better because they're brighter, but they're also very expensive...

If you already have a PC then you're half-way there... you can just rig a ghetto-style desktop box in the trunk and call it a day. Laugh if you want, it has been done before. A lot. If you have a slim-type of PC, a mini-itx setup or a laptop, then you can use that in the car just the same and save on cost. Buying the hardware to build a PC will run you at least a few hundred, even if you go ebay or newegg or whatever. A good mini-itx board, RAM and a case will add up to like $300 easily, at least.

I lucked out because I already had a nice IBM laptop, so I put that in there and just had to get the screen and get the fab work done. I recently picked up a hacked up Gateway Solo laptop (1GHz) from someone for $300, and while it's not as nice as the IBM it's still decent enough for whatever I want to do in the car.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:13 AM

...excuse the ignorant question but is it possible to usee my existing Pioneer flip-down for that or it's just something different all together?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
...excuse the ignorant question but is it possible to usee my existing Pioneer flip-down for that or it's just something different all together?
Again, there are no ignorant questions... we all had to start somewhere...

You could use your flip-down, since I assume it has an RCA jack that hooks up to a dvd player or whatever. The only issue is that composite inputs like that generally don't look nearly as good as a VGA screen, because they were built for a different purpose.

Take for example a 7" lilliput... the resolution on that is 800*480, with a dot resolution of 1.1 million pixels. Something like the AVIC-N2 -- which is "up there" in the realm of car AV stuff -- has something like 330,000 pixels, so it's 1/3 of the amount. It doesn't look bad -- by far -- but when you put them side by side doing certain tasks, like browsing the web or reading text, then it's noticeable. And that's not because the AVIC itself is bad (because it's not) but because the output from the video card has always expected a display that can handle a much larger number of pixels.

Hope that made sense...