6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Driver door or window seal leaking air. Anyone experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 AM

Driver door or window seal leaking air. Anyone experience this?

It's noticeable from about 30mph on up, and really pronounced at highway speed. Since it is so pronounced, I can say with great certainty that it is coming from the back top corner somewhere. I havent figured out yet if its the door seal or window since they are so close together. It's hard to stick something up there to block one of em that wont block the other when trying to pinpoint it. It's gotta be the most annoying problem I've ever experienced on a newer car.

Anyways, anyone else had that problem yet? Was the dealer good about it and actually fix it? What did it end up being, door or window? I've been trying to pinpoint it myself cause this seems to be one of the type things dealers like to blow off and never really fix. I'm going to try taking it in sometime, but trying to prepare myself for doing it on my own if they can't/won't do anything with it.

It's annoying enough to get rid of the car if it doesnt get taken care of. It really annoys the hell out of me.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You could always try blocking one or the other with poster tack:

and taking it for a test drive.

Bob
Old 05-23-2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by C17chief
It's noticeable from about 30mph on up, and really pronounced at highway speed. Since it is so pronounced, I can say with great certainty that it is coming from the back top corner somewhere. I havent figured out yet if its the door seal or window since they are so close together. It's hard to stick something up there to block one of em that wont block the other when trying to pinpoint it. It's gotta be the most annoying problem I've ever experienced on a newer car.

Anyways, anyone else had that problem yet? Was the dealer good about it and actually fix it? What did it end up being, door or window? I've been trying to pinpoint it myself cause this seems to be one of the type things dealers like to blow off and never really fix. I'm going to try taking it in sometime, but trying to prepare myself for doing it on my own if they can't/won't do anything with it.

It's annoying enough to get rid of the car if it doesnt get taken care of. It really annoys the hell out of me.
I had this problem on my altima, the suction would turn to very loud whistling when going 160 km/h or above. Of course dealership could not reproduce the problem . Try changing the rubber seals around the door. It might go away.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
You could always try blocking one or the other with poster tack:

and taking it for a test drive.

Bob
I actually did that as you suggested. Unfortunately I picked up just one package which appearantly couldnt cover enough area to make it go away. I shifted the stuff around quite a bit but could only slightly change the tone at best, making it hard to pinpoint EXACTLY where the leak was. One day I just finally pulled the entire window seal out of the track and stuck it right back in. That seemed to have done the trick.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM

Mine just started making noise also. Sounds like it is coming from behind the tweeter grill on the drivers door. When I get above 30mph or it is really windy at lower speeds, the whistling starts. If I place my hand over the grill area, it muffles the sound. I know it is not a whine from the sound system because I know the symptoms of that. Anyone else have this particular problem as opposed to the other parts of the door seals?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 AM

hah, im getting that problem too, im at 3300 miles and it just started to occur especially at 30MPH. i am pretty sure it is the rubber seals and am going to take it in soon, it is really annoying. hopefully itll get fixed!
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Same noise and area as Teniferman.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 AM

I just went over 3000 miles also, must be one of those hidden perks that come out at a certain mileage. Will have to find time to take it in as my schedule is kind of goofy right now. tototee999, if you get to take it in, let us who have the same problem know what they find. TIA.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teniferman
I just went over 3000 miles also, must be one of those hidden perks that come out at a certain mileage. Will have to find time to take it in as my schedule is kind of goofy right now. tototee999, if you get to take it in, let us who have the same problem know what they find. TIA.
taking it in tomorrow.. over the phone he said its the first time he heard it happen to an 05 max, i hope it all goes well..
Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 PM

Yeah right first time , good luck with it. Hope it is an easy fix. And by his response, does that mean it has happened to 04's? Hmmmm... Any other 04's have this problem other than SilverBelle?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Mine does it but it is on the passenger side, they replaced the weather stripping, no luck i am going to take it back in. It is annoying to me but mine is only heard at like 60 mph and up.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:09 AM

took it in, "were too busy for you". pissed me off, but he said that the problem has been seen before and it is due to "the side view mirrors cause the whistle, reason being that in the aerodynamics of the car wind travels within the cracks of the mirror causing the whistling sound that seems like its coming from the window, where it is really coming from the mirror." (give or take a few words) im taking it in next friday to get it fixed... going to mexico this week, no time till next week..
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM

tototee999, I was just thinking that maybe it is coming from the side view mirror(s) when I read your post. Did the service dude give you a hint as to what the fix is? At least those of us with the noise have a starting place to try and have it solved thanks to you!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

whistle noise

I too have this problem. It seems to start at approx. 20-30 mph and seems to come from the front of the drivers door.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 AM

tototee999, did you get to take your ride in to have the noise looked at? Been over a week so was just wondering.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by tototee999
took it in, "were too busy for you". pissed me off, but he said that the problem has been seen before and it is due to "the side view mirrors cause the whistle, reason being that in the aerodynamics of the car wind travels within the cracks of the mirror causing the whistling sound that seems like its coming from the window, where it is really coming from the mirror." (give or take a few words) im taking it in next friday to get it fixed... going to mexico this week, no time till next week..
Then why would it not whistle right away? Unless the "cracks of the mirror" developed over time? Tried to adjust the side mirrors?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Bump... Anyone have the service dept. look at this problem yet? Saw a pic of the rear of the mirror mount from another thread about a stolen mirror. Seems to be a foam gasket on the mount. Maybe this is the cause of the whistle noise if the gasket is not sealing properly?? tototee999, did you take your car in?

Thanks again for any info!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by tangmedic
I too have this problem. It seems to start at approx. 20-30 mph and seems to come from the front of the drivers door.

I happened to notice this too yesterday after having my window cracked open a bit then closing it @ about 90mph. I could stick my finger on the window seal right there with a definent change in pitch so that was it that time. At slower speed I opened then closed the window and it went away.

When I initially pulled out the seal and re-seated it from the original air leak, I noticed that there was only some kind of double sided tape or adhesive on certain parts of the seal. One of these days I'm gunna find something to totally seal it in there which should take care of all those issues.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found the seal falling off the top of the groove on the top of my passanger doo. It;s time for some weather stripping glue.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Teniferman
Bump... Anyone have the service dept. look at this problem yet? Saw a pic of the rear of the mirror mount from another thread about a stolen mirror. Seems to be a foam gasket on the mount. Maybe this is the cause of the whistle noise if the gasket is not sealing properly?? tototee999, did you take your car in?

Thanks again for any info!
sorry for late reply. i took it in, they told me the problem was due to an accident, but the accident only happened on the passenger side. the problem was trying to get them to understand the the driver side was no affected at all. and they did not fix the car. im pretty sure that they will put some weather stripping on it. they just got all stingy.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by -AoW-JP
I found the seal falling off the top of the groove on the top of my passanger doo. It;s time for some weather stripping glue.

all of the doors could probably use it actually. I dunno if its just someone being lazy on my car or if its the same across all, but there are only a few small places on the seal that have any kind of adhesive/tape behind it.

Anyways, I plan on doing just what you mentioned though. Should take care of everything once and for all.