6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aftermarket guages swap/repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcberb
Oh damn, one more question. the turn signal lights...let me guess...LED's as well right?
NOPE TIS ARE regular bulbslike the ones on the map lights but lil bit smaller...changing the color of the bulb wont do anything since the color comes from the plastic piece that you actually see in your dash, it is a black piece with the arrow filled in green...if you wanted to changed the color of it you will actually have to change the plastic piece...

by the way...what about MY question ?? which one do u like better ?? lol but for real !! jajaja...nah seriously now...cant think how to be serious and nice at the same time...but thats how i mean it to come out...
Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by PaL379
go with the first one. that looks hott

looks like the one that burned out was the second one.
i was thinking just the same, the first one still looks pretty cool...and u r rite...the second one is the one that went bad...i am waiting to see what happens with the seller from ebay ...we have been in email converstaion all day long...dont really feel like talking to him since i feel very angry about it and dont want to ruin my chances of getting a replacement...well i need some more votes for the gauges...it is a hard decision jajajaja thanks

luigi
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcberb
Thanks for the pics and explanations...needless to say...those are many LED's, and each going from anywhere between 3-5 dollars. Seems like it would cost a perty penny to change out. I just love the factory gauges. I guess i will have to deal with the amber...for now at least.
this ones are more like the factory one...check it out !!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/procarparts_1842_256002756
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I finally fixed my sticking needle yesterday, and I see that a lot of the questions about the LEDs and the arrows have been answered... somebody should talk to a mod about sticking all this info...

Anyway, I tried 2 types of double-sided tape, but they don't work too well. The problem is that the gauges themselves were loose, so they'd bump up against the needle and make it stick. Adding more stuff to the back of the gauge only serves to make this even more problematic.

I thought about glue... crazy and not so crazy, but then that'd be a really permanent solution that I wasn't too sure about just yet. You never know when I'm gonna get tired of the white faces or the "New and Improved" version will come out, so I didn't want anything "too" permanent in there.

In the end I ended up just taping them down to the casing... I took off the needles, pushed the gauges down flush and taped them around the edges with really clear scotch tape. I did this at the top and bottom of every gauge, and they're not going anywhere now. I put the needles back (a pain) and we're all good now.

I suggest if you're having problems or you want to replace your gauges, that you consider going with the "tape the edges" option unless you can find some REALLY thin double-sided tape that won't interfere with the movement of the needles.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Viguera, were you trying the double-stick tape that is just as thin as regular scotch tape? I think there's some like that... but yah, i might try your idea as my gauges are sticking as well, only when the car is cold so that must warp the plastic a little and make the gauges stick to it. What about just spraying some Pam over the faces of the gauges? hehe
Old 06-07-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Viguera, were you trying the double-stick tape that is just as thin as regular scotch tape? I think there's some like that... but yah, i might try your idea as my gauges are sticking as well, only when the car is cold so that must warp the plastic a little and make the gauges stick to it. What about just spraying some Pam over the faces of the gauges? hehe
I was looking for really thin tape but I couldn't find any... tried a couple of different places with no luck, and the thinnest I could find was that 3M mounting tape (not the foamy red one but the green/white one). I think that's only a few millimeters thick but it was still too much, so I just decided to tape it at the edges and call it a day.

I guess it all depends on what your situation is... if you have the original gauges underneath, and you can find the tape, then you can use that and it should be fine. If you remove the stock gauges then you can't really tape to anything and you'll have to tape the edges.

It worked fine for me and I don't have to worry about it now, so I'm happy. Maybe next time when/if I replace the gauges with something else, I'll try and get thinner tape and go that route. I'll cross that bridge when I get there...
Old 06-07-2005, 12:28 PM

i know it is kinda late but for future reference...you can get these at sores like eckerds, rite aid, walgreens , farm fresh, even dollar stores...just look around...it is popular...

there are two kinds of tape that are like the regular scotch tape...very thin and easy to use...there is one that is just trasparent like normal scotch tape...you couldnt tell the difference from normal tape...dont recommend it though...it is messy and not strong...the other one has a brown covering on it..so as you lay it on the first surface, it is still protacted and you can press on it to make it stck very stron on the first surface, then when you ready, you can remove the brown paper cover and put on the second surface to be taped...none of that foamy tape people !! oooo no no no !!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM

The only thing with using the double-stick tape is hopefully it won't leave a residue on the stock gauges if you decide down the road to take off the white gauges... viguera's idea actually sounds good because you put the tape on only the white gauges and the top/sides of the stock ones, not right over the face.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of where exactly they connected it to get power for the gauges?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kicks26
Does anyone have any pictures of where exactly they connected it to get power for the gauges?
Just to the left of the gauge pod and down you can get to the fuse box... the guys that did my install wired it there and put the switch/**** to change color and brightness. They wired them so they come on with the headlights...

I was looking at that yesterday but didn't think to take a picture... I'll do that when I get home tonight. It's a really cramped area so I'm not sure what you're gonna see, but from what I gathered it looks like they cut some wires going out of the fuse box and spliced in the power for the gauges. I see electrical tape back there and I'm pretty sure it didn't come with the car...

-- edit --

I don't remember exactly, but I think my gauges came with t-taps for juice. MAYBE they didn't cut any wires and just tapped into the power and then taped them to keep them in place, I'm not sure.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the info do you have any pics of the finished product? I have been thinking of do it too.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rob MAX
Thanks for all the info do you have any pics of the finished product? I have been thinking of do it too.

how about this one ??

Old 06-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not crazy about the circle lights around the needles. But if you like it, then its cool.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaL379
I'm not crazy about the circle lights around the needles. But if you like it, then its cool.
Well that's not exactly the best quality shot...

How about this one:

I personally like the TL's set of gauges, but this is not all that bad. I think I might take them off every now and then to keep things fresh (now that I know how to ).
Old 06-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you right, that picture looks better!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 AM

Speedometer stops working occasionally.

I have noticed it 3 times now in the past week or so. The first time I saw it happen I saw it jump from 35 to 70 in about 1-2 seconds. I was not accelerating at the time so when I saw it I thought I was seeing things.

I saw it again 2 days later. I saw it go from my actual speed down to about half that and then go back up again. No loss of traction, no change in speed. Saw it again today.

Anyone else experience this? I am hoping its just a loose wire, if thats the case then I don't really care that much unless it gets real bad.

FYI: My dash has not been touched. Its all stock and the only aftermarket mods I put in are a HID conversion kit and LED brake lights.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 AM

Wait, walk me through this one...

You're going 50, and the speedo reads 50... then it jumps up to like 80 (or some random number) and comes back down?

-- OR --

You're going 50, speedo reads 30, then jumps to whatever speed you're going.

The second scenario sounds like the needle is sticking... not sure about the first one other than a loose contact. The connector on the back of the gauge pod is the standard Nissan one you find throughout the car... I'd say take it to the dealer and have them take the dash apart and see if it's loose or one of the cables is stripped or something...

If you're out of warranty then I'd say try taking it apart and see if that's what it looks like. You don't really need to take the pod apart to check the connection in back, just remove the screws that hold it in place and pull it (carefully) to see if the cables look alright.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Moderator GT-R

Two or three times over the last 2 1/2 years my instruments have frozen while I was driving. The spedo and tach both freeze in place. The last time it happened I was on my way home from work and headed into the Nissan dealer to show them while it was actually going on... When I flipped the right turn signal on to turn into their service drive it healed itself.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 AM
SuPeRmOd

TSB: http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-058.htm
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Oh snap... it's a TSB on removing the gauge pod, complete with pictures!

I'm not really sure what this is doing though... I guess in some cases the needle will stick and they'll slide the nut to separate the black casing from the gauge itself? I guess if the housing is too tight, the stock gauge face will bulge out and make the needle stick or something...
Old 06-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
Well that's not exactly the best quality shot...

How about this one:

I personally like the TL's set of gauges, but this is not all that bad. I think I might take them off every now and then to keep things fresh (now that I know how to ).
you right...please excuse my dirty-banged-camera phone...
Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
crap...and i was excited...i thought i actually put some useful information in this forum... ah..in the bright side...there is no bright side...nismo...u bursted my bubble ..again...