6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

upgrade flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:43 PM

upgrade flywheel?

i am considering doing this but just want some opinions. i have found the fidanza and the jwt flywheels. and there is a deal on flywheels in the group deals.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My opinion is changing the flywheel is a great idea. It will be more beneficial than changing the pulley because a typical flywheel weighs about 30 lbs or so, compared to 4 lbs for a pulley. Most lightweight flywheels weigh around 10-15 lbs. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the engine due to the reduction of rotational mass and frees up some horses. I know this from personal experince as well as testimony from others who have done it, including those with the VQ35 motor. I would couple this with a stronger clutch if you are gonna do some heavy mods.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxmale
i am considering doing this but just want some opinions. i have found the fidanza and the jwt flywheels. and there is a deal on flywheels in the group deals.
A couple downside items to go along with the upside.

1) If you have any sort of mechanical problem that needs warranty work where they can see this mod...good luck.
2) I believe gas mileage and some driveability will suffer.

Item 2 can be mitigated by going with a lightened flywheel...not an aluminum one. Just get yours lightened by a reputable shop (cheaper too).

That said, I think it will really help the performance.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
My opinion is changing the flywheel is a great idea. It will be more beneficial than changing the pulley because a typical flywheel weighs about 30 lbs or so, compared to 4 lbs for a pulley. Most lightweight flywheels weigh around 10-15 lbs. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the engine due to the reduction of rotational mass and frees up some horses. I know this from personal experince as well as testimony from others who have done it, including those with the VQ35 motor. I would couple this with a stronger clutch if you are gonna do some heavy mods.
Agreed.

And they cannot void your warranty unless the part you install is the cause of the malfunction and they can prove this in court. I figured all who modded their car would know of the moss-magnuson act.

Besides when you drive your car hard or don't know how to drive stick and you don't have Nissan put in an OEM clutch and flywheel do they void your warranty? No. They ignore it. These are routine maintenance parts that have to be replaced. Just like if you change your OEM filter to a K&N drop in. They cannot by LAW void your warranty. I have this law posted in my shop for all prospective modders to read!

John
Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Something like an aluminum Fidanza unit will reduce the weight to about 1/2 of what the stocker is. Just getting the stock lightened IS cheaper. But in reality, they can only take off about 3lbs of the stock unit. You wouldn't even be able to feel that. I've run both on my 3-gen.

Originally Posted by darrinps
A couple downside items to go along with the upside.

1) If you have any sort of mechanical problem that needs warranty work where they can see this mod...good luck.
2) I believe gas mileage and some driveability will suffer.

Item 2 can be mitigated by going with a lightened flywheel...not an aluminum one. Just get yours lightened by a reputable shop (cheaper too).

That said, I think it will really help the performance.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 PM

gas mileage will improve with a lightweight flywheel

it will improve ALOT
Old 07-30-2005, 06:01 AM

where would the best/ cheapest place be to go and get this done. i talked to the nissan dealer and they said between 500 and 750 dollars?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:42 AM

where would the best/ cheapest place be to go and get this done. i talked to the nissan dealer and they said between 500 and 750 dollars?
Don't go to a stealership. If you can't do it yourself find someone who specializes in that work. Like a clutch repair shop or something of that sort.

Let me tell you though. It will be expensive paying outright for having it done. There is alot of work involved. $500 -750 Is what I was quoted for a clutch and flywheel install. Thats why I just did it myself.

John
Old 07-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Is it hard to drop the VQ tranny and r and r the flywheel and clutch?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Ive read that driving with one is very different because the revs rise faster but also fall faster and it can be easy to stall. Probably wouldnt be the best thing if you drive your car a lot but definately a good if your all for performance. Would be a good idea to change the clutch while your doing it, wouldnt wanna do the same thing twice.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Is it hard to drop the VQ tranny and r and r the flywheel and clutch?
It's not that bad. With the right tools and some patience it's not hard.

Key is having the right tools, having patience, and having a plan from the start. Know what your doing and how you wanna go about it before hand just as you would any other mod. Research it. Many would rather pay the 700+ to have it done due to pain in the *** factor not because it's hard.

John
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
gas mileage will improve with a lightweight flywheel
it will improve ALOT
This simply goes against everything I have ever read.

Gas mileage will suffer with a lightened flywheel. Just google for "lightened flywheel gas mileage" if you don't believe me.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy-J
And they cannot void your warranty unless the part you install is the cause of the malfunction and they can prove this in court. I figured all who modded their car would know of the moss-magnuson act.
I believe you have that backwards. They very well can void the warranty, and it is you who would have to prove it in court, not them as it is you who would have to initiate the case (and that can be expensive).

If it goes to trial, they can take all sorts of angles...the person installing the flywheel caused the problem....the engine was designed for a specific flywheel...etc. You might win in the end, but it might cost you more than it's worth.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that you need to be aware of the potential problems.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Crazy-j what would i need as far as special tools. and could you give me a simple write up on doing this my self. please.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

In reality, the dealership won't even know you have an aftermarket flywheel unless:

1) You are having a clutch/tranny/flywheel related problem.
2) If the mechanic actually could feel the diff. ie.. if you used a real stiff pressure plate.
3) If for some reason they took the tranny off and actually saw the unit installed.

Other than that, the mechanics are pretty ignorant of mods they can't see.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 AM

I believe you have that backwards. They very well can void the warranty, and it is you who would have to prove it in court, not them as it is you who would have to initiate the case (and that can be expensive).

If it goes to trial, they can take all sorts of angles...the person installing the flywheel caused the problem....the engine was designed for a specific flywheel...etc. You might win in the end, but it might cost you more than it's worth.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that you need to be aware of the potential problems.

Read the act.

Oh and for the record. Everyone who even mentions it get the work done on their cars.

I do this for a living and have actually testified in a court case involving this very same mod. The man won his case hands down and the dealership had to pay him for his lawyers fees and he got reimbursed over a grand for the rental car.

Some things are harder to prove but the Flywheel is easy and no dealership that has any sense will take a clutch and flywheel to court.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Crazy-j what would i need as far as special tools. and could you give me a simple write up on doing this my self. please.

It's not neccesarily special tools but you need a nice toolchest to help you out. I have a link here for the 6 speed transmission in the Spec-V which is the same tranny as you guys only different bell housings.

Tranny how to

Now this is obviously not the way to do yours but will give you a good idea of what to do and how to go about it. It saves me alot of writing.

John
Old 08-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy-J
Read the act.

Oh and for the record. Everyone who even mentions it get the work done on their cars.

I do this for a living and have actually testified in a court case involving this very same mod. The man won his case hands down and the dealership had to pay him for his lawyers fees and he got reimbursed over a grand for the rental car.

Some things are harder to prove but the Flywheel is easy and no dealership that has any sense will take a clutch and flywheel to court.
I have read it.

And the very fact that this happened proved my point...it was the owner, not the dealer, that had to take it to court. He also had to fork out the money up front for a the rental, and probably pay the lawyer up front too.

Maybe doing that isn't a problem to you, but it sure the heck is for most folks who would rather not have to drag someone to court and waste their time even if they did win in the end.

Again, I'm not saying not to do the modification, but you sure better be ready for a hassle if something goes wrong.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM

all this doesn't even apply to me my warranty is already up
Old 08-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the mass of the flywheel is still minimal when considering the rotating mass of the crank, trans shafts, drive shaft, rear axles, rear wheels. Also the momentum of the car.

Also consider that when cruising at a steady engine speed, since you aren't changing engine speed the flywheel weight can't possibly have any affect on mileage. When accelerating, it will take a very minimal additional amount to accelerate the greater mass of the stock flywheel.

for drag racing purposes, a heavier flywheel will allow the tires and the car to "catch up" when accelerating, rather than to just explode the tires into a puff of smoke when they break loose. So, a heavy flywheel can be a good thing.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually:

1) light flywheels make a NOTICABLE difference.
2) I can make a mileage diff as the engine doesn't have to expend engery to keep 10 more lbs rotating
3) light flwheels DO make a noticable difference when reving
4) Heavy flywheels in drag racing help store energy. So when the car launches on sticky tires, it won't bog. Nor will the revs drop nearly as fast during shifts.

They don't help anything "catch up" to anything else. Everything is connected. If anything, heavier units HELP break loose the tires. Not the other way around.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually:

1) light flywheels make a NOTICABLE difference.
2) I can make a mileage diff as the engine doesn't have to expend engery to keep 10 more lbs rotating
3) light flwheels DO make a noticable difference when reving
4) Heavy flywheels in drag racing help store energy. So when the car launches on sticky tires, it won't bog. Nor will the revs drop nearly as fast during shifts.

They don't help anything "catch up" to anything else. Everything is connected. If anything, heavier units HELP break loose the tires. Not the other way around.
It also doesn't have the energy of the 10 more pounds to use - thus the lower gas milage.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Use for what? I didn't know making the engine turn heavier things in terms of rotation or forward motion ever increase fuel mileage.

Originally Posted by savagecat
It also doesn't have the energy of the 10 more pounds to use - thus the lower gas milage.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1. If that's your impression/opinion, it's hard to argue with that
2. It doesn't take extra energy to maintain rotation of a mass, other than the negligible additional friction on the crank bearing, etc. If your theory was correct, semi trucks would have to have 3000 horsepower, to maintain the momentum of the additional weight even on flat ground.
3. Again, hard for me to argue if you are noticing this. If we calculated the angular momentum of all the the rotating parts involved, I think you would see that a different flywheel has a minimal affect on actual acceleration of the car. In nuetral or with the clutch in, you might notice a difference, but once you lock on all that additional mass that needs to be accelerated...keeping in mind that besides the acceleration of rotating items, you are accelerating a 3500 lb car!
4. You got me on that one, I was too vague. You are correct that a heavier flywheel could hurt you on the launch, however if the car had enough power to break the tires loose post-launch, a heavier flywheel would tend to help prevent excessive spinning. If the trans shifts hard enough, yes it could encourage breaking the tires loose during the shift, though.

it's all based on physics...

this mod has pros and cons, just like anything else.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Given I've driven my car with:

1) Stock flywheel
2) Lightened stock by 3lbs. Very little difference
3) Findanza at 1/2 the original weight. Very noticable difference in reving and throttle response.

It makes a difference. Much faster reving. Slightly harder to start from a stop as there is 1/2 the weight of this energy storage device available now. But that 1/2 the weight that the engine has to turn. It's not just the weight itself. It's about 15" in diameter and much of it is stuck on the end.

And no. A heavier flywheel will increase the tendency to spin the tires. A heavier weight in motion will tend to stay in motion until something else stops it.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

This simply goes against everything I have ever read.

Gas mileage will suffer with a lightened flywheel. Just google for "lightened flywheel gas mileage" if you don't believe me.
Dude shut up, your wrong. I did your google search and found NOTHING saying gas mileage will suffer.

I have a UR lightweight flywheel and my gas mileage went WAY up.

So post your bogus proof or go away.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by motometal
the mass of the flywheel is still minimal when considering the rotating mass of the crank, trans shafts, drive shaft, rear axles, rear wheels. Also the momentum of the car.

Also consider that when cruising at a steady engine speed, since you aren't changing engine speed the flywheel weight can't possibly have any affect on mileage. When accelerating, it will take a very minimal additional amount to accelerate the greater mass of the stock flywheel.

for drag racing purposes, a heavier flywheel will allow the tires and the car to "catch up" when accelerating, rather than to just explode the tires into a puff of smoke when they break loose. So, a heavy flywheel can be a good thing.
You are correct about the weight being a small part of the overall mass, but you might want to check your facts for the other points. What you posted in contrary to current thinking and tests done to back it up.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Dude shut up, your wrong. I did your google search and found NOTHING saying gas mileage will suffer.

I have a UR lightweight flywheel and my gas mileage went WAY up.

So post your bogus proof or go away.
First off it is you are (or the contraction you're) not "your".

Secondly, you must not know how to use Google:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/flywheel.htm

"A common sight on modified Type 1 engines is a lightened flywheel. Lightened flywheels are usually used on cars used for drag racing or for road racing. Most street engines would be better off with the stock weight to retain long bearing life and higher gas mileage.

Lightening a flywheel decreases the rotating mass of the crank assembly, and results in fast acceleration. Of course, less momentum is stored as a result, and it results in fast rpm drops when you make off the flywheel. This will also result in decreased fuel mileage, so knowing how you are going to drive your car will be best determining if lightening is for you."

Since you seem to be a fan of anecdotal evidence using your (used correctly here BTW) experience, I'll give you a few here:
http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/tec...ne/fly_whl.htm
"Oddly enough, I have noticed better gas mileage
with the heavier flywheel."

http://www.dsmreviews.com/dsmreviews...category=13004
"The lighter flywheel allows the car to rev more easily, and gives a little extra edge to acceleration. I did lose a little gas mileage driving on the highway, but it was worth the tradeoff."

It's not me who is wrong on this, and I don't appreciate your attitude. You could have simply asked (in a nice way) for me to help explain why your observation may not be the norm.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

"A common sight on modified Type 1 engines is a lightened flywheel. Lightened flywheels are usually used on cars used for drag racing
Wrong. Drag racers use HEAVIER flywheels. Did you not read my posts?

or for road racing.
Correct. Faster accerlation from stops, low speed turns etc..

Most street engines would be better off with the stock weight to retain long bearing life and higher gas mileage.
Incorrect. Less mass to keep rotating once up to speed = better gas mileage.

Lightening a flywheel decreases the rotating mass of the crank assembly, and results in fast acceleration.
Correct. That's the point.

Of course, less momentum is stored as a result, and it results in fast rpm drops when you make off the flywheel.
Correct. When you shift gears, the rpm will decrease faster. That is correct.

This will also result in decreased fuel mileage, so knowing how you are going to drive your car will be best determining if lightening is for you."
Incorrect. Unless you completely don't know how to drive a stick shift. How exactly can it decrease mileage if you slightly adapt your shifting to maintain revs inbetween shifts?? Any bonehead can do this. And once you are in 5th gear, how many times are going to shift if you are on the freeway and cruising??

Since you seem to be a fan of anecdotal evidence using your (used correctly here BTW) experience, I'll give you a few here:
http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/tec...ne/fly_whl.htm
"Oddly enough, I have noticed better gas mileage
with the heavier flywheel."
My mileage went up. Take it for what you will.

It's not me who is wrong on this, and I don't appreciate your attitude. You could have simply asked (in a nice way) for me to help explain why your observation may not be the norm.
Well it's not you that's wrong. But your references have many points that are incorrect.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wrong. Drag racers use HEAVIER flywheels. Did you not read my posts?
I did, but I was quoting someone who may not have. Oh, and not all (hardly) drag racers will use a heavy flywheel, and I think someone else has already mentioned that fact.

Incorrect. Less mass to keep rotating once up to speed = better gas mileage.
Ah...show me the test results where that is the case and I will show you where high gas mileage prototype cars use heavy flywheels for that exact purpose...to improve mileage by storing energy.

Correct. When you shift gears, the rpm will decrease faster. That is correct.
Don't you think that ends up hurting gas mileage?

Incorrect. Unless you completely don't know how to drive a stick shift. How exactly can it decrease mileage if you slightly adapt your shifting to maintain revs inbetween shifts??
Just listen to what you are saying. Just how do you keep the revs up? It isn't magic...it takes fuel to do it.

My mileage went up. Take it for what you will.
Maybe it's because your driving style changed, but I doubt it was because of the flywheel itself.

Listen, this is getting OT here, and I don't have the time to refute people's anecdotal evidence. Believe what you will, and I will believe what I read.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

I did, but I was quoting someone who may not have. Oh, and not all (hardly) drag racers will use a heavy flywheel, and I think someone else has already mentioned that fact.
Any serious drag race only car will most likely have a heavy flywheel

Ah...show me the test results where that is the case and I will show you where high gas mileage prototype cars use heavy flywheels for that exact purpose...to improve mileage by storing energy.
Go ahead and do that.

Don't you think that ends up hurting gas mileage?
Do I sit there in the freeway constantly changing gears???

Just listen to what you are saying. Just how do you keep the revs up? It isn't magic...it takes fuel to do it.
By performing a faster more efficent shift. But then again shifting is just a small part of driving.

It also takes more fuel to turn a heavier object correct??

Maybe it's because your driving style changed, but I doubt it was because of the flywheel itself.
How can my style change if I'm just sitting there on the freeway in 5th gear?

listen, this is getting OT here, and I don't have the time to refute people's anecdotal evidence. Believe what you will, and I will believe what I read.
You believe what you read. I'll believe what I've personally experienced in real life because I have a light flywheel. How about you?

Then again, anyone who really spends that much $ on a light flywheel is NOT really considering the benefits of whatever gas mileage. Why because even if the mpg does improve, it would take A LONG time to recoup the original cost of the flywheel. So most buy it for the performance gains.

Do you even really KNOW the purpose of a flywheel and WHY they really weigh that much to begin with??? It's purpose is NOT to store energy for the purpose of increased mileage. If that was the case, why not make it 2x heavier than it is now??? Doesn't make sense. Flwheels have mass to smooth out the engine's rpm during starts and shifts. NOT to increase mileage.

Let's say you had a flywheel that weighs 1lb. What would happen when you engaged the clutch and started? And when you shifted? Conversely, let's say you have an unit that weighs 100lbs. Same questions but add fuel mileage. How much fuel would it take to get 100 more lbs rotating after every stop, turn and speed change? Once you get going, it would be fine. But unless you drive for great distances at a constant speed, any mileage increases by having a heavy flywheel (if any) would be offset by the greater energy required to get the car to that speed every time you stopped, turned or otherwise.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:01 AM

ok guys i think this is getting a little off topic.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Newbie just Registered

Light flywheel takes less energy to spin, heavy flywheel takes less energy to keep spinning. Both points are mentioned by Jeff and Darrin, and both are correct. Any mechanical engineer here?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Boy do I ever agree with that.

Let's just agree to disagree!

FWIW, I'm not against a lightened flywheel. I just wanted to point out some (possible) negatives so the person who asked wouldn't be lead down a rosey path thinking all was great. There are always trade offs.

BTW, to the crack (not from you) about insinuating that I didn't know what a flywheel was for, you are correct as to the purpose in that ride quality is a large part of it for sure. Oh, and yes I knew that. Look, I'm 39. I grew up on cars. Spent a good part of my youth hanging around the race shop my dad did the welding at (on the shop's race car). I've bought and read as many books from Smokey Unich to Bob Bondurant and read as many Hot Rod Magazine articles as anyone. I've done darn near everything from changing oil to porting (and I'm not talking a basic "street port") cylinder heads. So, don't go acting like I'm some young snot nose kid who doesn't know anything. I'm no Yates, but I'm not a complete idiot either.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax

Light flywheel takes less energy to spin, heavy flywheel takes less energy to keep spinning. Both points are mentioned by Jeff and Darrin, and both are correct. Any mechanical engineer here?
You had a good idea there (ask an "expert") so that's what I did.

I'll make this my last post on the subject as I think it has gotten OT. If you are interested in finding out the answer as to why an engine with a heavier flywheel will (typically....I guess there is room for odd ball occurrences) get better fuel economy, here are a couple links where I asked that very question on some science forums. Again, let's just agree to disagree, but I think that the preponderance of the evidence leans toward the heavy flywheel as getting the better fuel economy. Of course, maybe everyone is just plain wrong on this and 20 years from now all engines will have very low mass flywheels!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2b01e4248ff382

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f33e827df50520
Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Newbie just Registered

You had a good idea there (ask an "expert") so that's what I did.

I'll make this my last post on the subject as I think it has gotten OT. If you are interested in finding out the answer as to why an engine with a heavier flywheel will (typically....I guess there is room for odd ball occurrences) get better fuel economy, here are a couple links where I asked that very question on some science forums. Again, let's just agree to disagree, but I think that the preponderance of the evidence leans toward the heavy flywheel as getter the better fuel economy. Of course, maybe everyone is just plain wrong on this and 20 years from now all engines will have very low mass flywheels!

Alright, now gimme some cash!!!

I can see that dragsters who use heavier flywheels, use them to reduce chance tires from breaking loose after shifting gears because the transition is smoother. This makes sense to me.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 AM

Any thoughts as to whether an underdrive pulley has an effect on mileage, since the crank pulley is rotational mass from the crankshaft, like the flywheel.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:30 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

First off it is you are (or the contraction you're) not "your".
Ok post you are bogus proof or go away. BTW: THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

Secondly, you must not know how to use Google:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/flywheel.htm

"A common sight on modified Type 1 engines is a lightened flywheel. Lightened flywheels are usually used on cars used for drag racing or for road racing. Most street engines would be better off with the stock weight to retain long bearing life and higher gas mileage.
AGAIN YOUR PROOF NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S PROOF
Old 08-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stardust
Ok post you are bogus proof or go away. BTW: THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

AGAIN YOUR PROOF NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S PROOF

Some men, you just can't reach.

Again, let's just agree to disagree.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
VQ Wizard

Come see me, and please do NOT waste your money on any JWT products.

www.p1auto.com

Quick Reply: upgrade flywheel?