6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear view mirror buzz

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear view mirror buzz

Since the winter my rearview mirror has begun buzzing over certain types of roads and certain rpm's.

I am sure it's part of something inside the assembly and not the wire's/wire guides on the window that make the noise. Does anyone else have this issue.

I don't have a compass on the mirror either.

At this point I am not taking my car to the dealer for legal reasons.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:05 AM

Yeah, I've had the same exact problem for months (if not for over a year). I've taken it to the dealer many times and when they can replicate it, they've tried to adjust the wires or the plastic tray that holds the wires. This lasts for about 5 minutes though and the thing starts to rattle before I even make it home (I don't think my dealer tried to hard to find the rattle when they said that they couldn't replicate it).

The best solution I have for this is when the mirror starts to rattle, gently tweak it to one side (or up/down) so that you can just feel it start to get tighter. Generally this will last from a few minutes to a few months - just depends. I think what the dealer did didn't actually do anything - its just the act of moving the mirror around while adjusting the wires that fixes it.

Also, I don't know if its the internals or what that make the rear view mirror rattle but while it's rattling you can feel the whole thing vibrate, so I'd guess that either it has an unfortunate resonate frequency or the mounting material isn't up to par?

Good luck
Old 08-14-2005, 10:32 AM

nissan has issued a service bulletin for the rear view mirror
www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2005/1.htm
Old 08-16-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by freezerboy3
nissan has issued a service bulletin for the rear view mirror
www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2005/1.htm
B/c you are a Newbie I won't hurt you too bad, but before you post something make sure that it applies to the topic. The TSB's are the first place I look for my answers. This TSB doesn't apply to my car hence me saying that I DON'T HAVE A COMPASS. Next time take the time to read what the TSB says before making a blanket statement

Originally Posted by Monotaur
The best solution I have for this is when the mirror starts to rattle, gently tweak it to one side (or up/down) so that you can just feel it start to get tighter. Generally this will last from a few minutes to a few months - just depends. I think what the dealer did didn't actually do anything - its just the act of moving the mirror around while adjusting the wires that fixes it.

Also, I don't know if its the internals or what that make the rear view mirror rattle but while it's rattling you can feel the whole thing vibrate, so I'd guess that either it has an unfortunate resonate frequency or the mounting material isn't up to par?

Good luck
I tweak the mirror all the time. It too varies on how long it stays silent. There is a TSB for the 350Z that addresses the cover plate for the wiring, but that is not what makes the buzzing noise. We'll see if anyone else has this "problem."
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem w/ my non-compass rv mirror in my 04 Max. If you squeeze the housing a little the noise will stop for awhile. The only thing that the TSB helps with is stating that there is anti-rattle foam in the mirror. That is what is probably missing or lacking in our rattling mirrors.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I have it a buzz... it only happens when I turn the bose up loud.. it actually shakes like I have a system in it..
Old 08-16-2005, 02:51 PM

my rearview mirror shakes too, but i never heard any buzzing sound... maybe the music was on too loud?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

only buzz i get is if my sunglasses don't have the cloth bag on while in the holder. I know there's no way to keep the mirror from shaking with the bass up.

you didn't make lemonade yet????