6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 Maxima Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 PM

2006 Maxima Info

After seeing wesallenjr's post several hours ago saying that the nissanusa site had turned on the buying process for 2006 Maximas (it was not on when I checked Thursday), I knew the 2006s were being shipped.

Checking the inventory of the nearest 16 Nissan dealers closest to me (south side of Atlanta), I found 12 had 2006 Maximas on their lot. They didn't have many, with a few dealers having only one, and no dealer having more than 5. But they are here.

Disappointingly, one of the four dealers not yet having a 2006 Maxima was mine, just four miles away. That should change by Monday or Tuesday.

In looking at the pictures of the 2006 on nissanusa, I have not yet found any exterior differences. That really surprises me. The third year of all Maxima generations had something that enables the viewer to differentiate it from the previous two years.

Same old tooth (which I expected). Same old grill (I kinda thought they might make a small change here). Same old lower valence. Same old wheels. Same 265 HP, etc. The views of the rear were clearer than the front, and I see no differences whatsoever between the '05 and '06.

Since this seems to vary from previous handling of the third year of any Maxima generation, I am now trying to figure out Nissan's overall plans for the Maxima.

I would expect no major changes for the '07 Maxima, unless they intended to keep that 'updated' model for at least two years. keeping it two years would delay gen 7 until the '09 model, which I feel would be keeping the same body style too long in today's compe***ive world.

So my first thought is that Nissan will let the 6th gen 'ride out' and be replaced by gen 7 in spring or summer of '07, having had virtually no exterior changes during the entire four years.

My second thought is that Nissan may possibly be planning to bring out gen 7 in summer 2006 as a 2007 model. That seems a little soon, and would surprise me somewhat. But it would certainly explain why we have no external tweaks on the '06.

In truth, every time I find a 'pattern' in Nissan's process, they promptly break it. I have pretty much given up trying to predict what Nissan might do.

edit - I forgot to mention,same eight exterior colors and same three interior colors. Again, that surprises me. I expected one or two new colors.

In thinking about this some more, I thought of another possibility; Nissan may have 'played down' the 2006 intro this year because they may be planning to bring out a special 25th anniversary limited edition a little later in the model year, and they are saving their 'tweaks' for that vehicle. And maybe it would be in a new color . . . or Radiant Ember revisited?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

You've made some pretty interesting predictions. All of them are firmly within the realm of possibility. I was really hoping Nissan would do something special for the anniversary but as you pointed out, they still could in the middle of the model year. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, they did a complete redesign on the Altima in the middle of a model year. I would really love to see a 25th anniversary edition in Radiant Ember.

There has to be a reason why Nissan did not make any overt changes on the '06. I really think they've got something up their sleeve. As you said, it is a compe***ive market. Maybe Nissan is planning something just major enough for the '07 that it can stick around for 2 years and remain compe***ive.

At this point, all we can do is speculate. At least the folks that just bought an '05 won't feel like they should have waited for the '06s to come out.

edit - Why are asterisks getting put in the middle of the word compe***ive?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Newbie just Registered

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=406180&page=8
Originally Posted by idnumber1
I suspect the 06 maxima will be a short run Max, much like the 04 Altima was. I expect a revamped version of the Max by spring of 06 featured as an 07 model... You can quote me later on this one
What was said here is entirely posible. Same thing was done 3rd gen Pathfinder(99-00, vq35 01-03), and now with Altima (02-07). Japanese car makers stretched each generation a year or so longer to cut cost. No mo fo years.
Toyota: 4th gen Camry ran from 97-01, 3rd gen ran from 92-96. Avalon ran 95-99, and 00-04.
Honda: 6th gen accord ran from 98-02. 3rd gen Acura Integra ran for 8 years(94-01), and the previous RL ran from 96-03(another 8 years). And Honda forgot about the NSX all together

So 7th gen Max could be 09.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 AM
2004 Smoke

There are rumours floating about that Nissan is thinking about dropping the Max in favor of building the Teana in N.A instead. This might explain why they are not investing in it much anymore.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:38 AM
The "Other" project

I had searched on the site also an am a bit dissapionted too. Even the Altima, although it is the same body received a "facelift" for the 05 modle year and I truly beleived that the Max would do the same........just call me a dreamer...........well at least maybe they have a few more of the issues fixed...LOL I'm thinking about going out and test driving one today......
Old 08-20-2005, 05:50 AM
GrandPa

I thought they would have a least have some more hp and some exterior changes like a new grill.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Banned

They are even using photos of a 2004 on the website....Im not suprised, this car is the biggest change the maxima has seen since the 4th gen came out, they will ride it for what its worth.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea they just added the bluetooth logo but all the pis are the same

didnt someone post about the steering wheel getting illuminated visuals? No picures on the site showed that. Thats a neat little feature, and if they added that, they would have definitley showed pics about it.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
I had searched on the site also an am a bit dissapionted too. Even the Altima, although it is the same body received a "facelift" for the 05 modle year and I truly beleived that the Max would do the same........just call me a dreamer...........well at least maybe they have a few more of the issues fixed...LOL I'm thinking about going out and test driving one today......

Altima got a facelift for the '05 model, and that generation was introduced as an '02....by the same logic, the Max should see a facelift in the '07 model year. I don't see why you would want to see more HP (assuming they are using the 3.5), as it doesn't really translate to real performance increases, and it'll probly hurt the resale values of the earlier 6th gens.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:17 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by boone
edit - Why are asterisks getting put in the middle of the word compe***ive?
vagina
but not ***!
Just use "boob" instead.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:26 AM

compeboobive!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 AM

well if you ask me there logic for not changing it for 06 is that it seems to me people are just catching on to these cars.doesn't really explain to much but why change a good thing. i am sure we'll notice things in the 07.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:11 PM

No leather with 6-Speed ??!!??

I went to the Nissan web site and tried to build a 2006 Max SE. According to the website if you get a 6-Speed, you can't have leather seats. How fcuked up is that!!!!

Also, I noticed that they have decresed interior options this year, Majestic Blue SE can only be had with black interior...silver is no longer an option. Of course if you get an SL (automatic) you get 2 color choices Black or Cafe Latte. Nissan is a stupid stupid company.

I would say that I have purchased my last Nissan product. Hello Acura TL!! Virtually the same price & I can get the colors & options I want.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

I think nissan takes away combinations that did'nt sell very well based on data gathered from 2004-2005.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jopa416
I went to the Nissan web site and tried to build a 2006 Max SE. According to the website if you get a 6-Speed, you can't have leather seats. How fcuked up is that!!!!

Also, I noticed that they have decresed interior options this year, Majestic Blue SE can only be had with black interior...silver is no longer an option. Of course if you get an SL (automatic) you get 2 color choices Black or Cafe Latte. Nissan is a stupid stupid company.

I would say that I have purchased my last Nissan product. Hello Acura TL!! Virtually the same price & I can get the colors & options I want.

that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard....fully loaded 6-speeds are definitely the most desired for a lot of maxima enthuisasts....i guess it's come to be that the maxima will be designated for middle aged women that dont know **** about cars but just want luxury.. sadly, i dont see myself buying a future maxima if it continues in the direction it is now...

EDIT: i just looked on the site, and it seems as though a loaded 6-speed can be had...and no, there aren't any apparant changes listed on their website from the '05 model...grr...
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maxima

The 2006 Nissan Maxima continues to offer an unmatched blend of performance and luxury. The sixth generation Maxima combines traditional Maxima performance with expressive sports styling and bold innovation to create a top-of-the-line sports sedan. An aggressive exterior design captures the characteristics of a performance car and a luxury sedan all in one, while a standard, segment-first SkyView™ glass-paneled roof creates an open interior environment for front and rear passengers. Maxima receives minor enhancements for 2006.

Enhancements to the 2006 Maxima include:
· Available factory installed satellite radio
· Illuminated steering wheel switches
· Available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
· Available outside mirror auto-tilt down in reverse
· Improved navigation Graphic User Interface (GUI)
Old 08-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by geo1317
Maxima

The 2006 Nissan Maxima continues to offer an unmatched blend of performance and luxury. The sixth generation Maxima combines traditional Maxima performance with expressive sports styling and bold innovation to create a top-of-the-line sports sedan. An aggressive exterior design captures the characteristics of a performance car and a luxury sedan all in one, while a standard, segment-first SkyView™ glass-paneled roof creates an open interior environment for front and rear passengers. Maxima receives minor enhancements for 2006.

Enhancements to the 2006 Maxima include:
· Available factory installed satellite radio
· Illuminated steering wheel switches
· Available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
· Available outside mirror auto-tilt down in reverse
· Improved navigation Graphic User Interface (GUI)
weren't both sirius and XM options in all 6th gens? <<confused...
Old 08-20-2005, 05:21 PM
The "Other" project

I tried to build an 06 earlier this morning and when I checked the 6sp option it removed the leather option and showed cloth as the interior. I was thinking that it was a glitch with the build program
Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
There are rumours floating about that Nissan is thinking about dropping the Max in favor of building the Teana in N.A instead. This might explain why they are not investing in it much anymore.
That would suck......the Max has been around forever.......it doesn't belong on the chopping block.........
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
weren't both sirius and XM options in all 6th gens? <<confused...

its was a dealer/port install option, now you can get it from the factory.

And i think the build program is screwed up, but the leather thing might be true because for 2005 you cant get a 3.5SE 5MT Altima with leather.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:18 PM

I wonder if Nissan is trying to water down the Max because it is getting too close in performance to the Infiniti.

It would be a pity if that were the case......
Old 08-20-2005, 09:01 PM

Well, Nissan usally doesnt update their website right away, it says 06 Maxima, but its the same thing as the 05 page. In a few more weeks they will have it changed, the best way to find out is to go the dealer to check it out, I know I am!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 PM

How do you guys check out the cars in the dealer. I know that the Nissan down the block has a Honda right next door. I know that they store the Nissans at the Honda dealer. In a underground garage and outside with a fence with that green grass looking thing. So I can't really look at them.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:45 PM

I'm going to the dealer Monday morning for the SES light yet again. I want to see it 4 myself up close and personal. I like bluetooth.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by eLMo
How do you guys check out the cars in the dealer. I know that the Nissan down the block has a Honda right next door. I know that they store the Nissans at the Honda dealer. In a underground garage and outside with a fence with that green grass looking thing. So I can't really look at them.
Many dealerships have different setups. Most of the ones here have a back lot where they keep their new stock. During the day, you can just wander in and take a look around. However, at night they close and lock the fence around the back lot.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 PM

Nissan is also doing its Year End Clearance. They may be releasing any new tweaks after that's over just to get the 05's sold. With the domestic brands having had record sales with the empoyee pricing, they may be trying to do stuff to sell the 05's. Then they will release all the new updates. I may want an anniversary edition Max... Radiant Ember would be nice.... OR!!! A fire engine red like the Crimson Blaze of the 4th gen. That would rock!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:42 PM

eLMo - Every dealer is different. As Boone suggested, most store new arrivals in either a back lot, or another location.

As the dealer chooses, they are moved to the prep bay for removal of all the shipping padding, etc, and made ready for display on the front lot. In some cases, this delay is days, in others, it may be weeks.

In my case, I pretend I am headed for the service department, then take a sharp right at the last second and slip through a 'no customers beyond this point' sign, and ease through a narrow drive into the storage lot. I keep my car hidden behind the rows of cars already there, and don't let my head stick up above the vehicles, where either staff or salespersons can see me.

------

As to the complaint by several here that the 'build' option of the nissanusa web site does not allow the 2006 Maxima SE six speed to be built with leather (I also tried to do this), I have sent an inquiry to both Nissan Customer Service and to the webmaster of the nissanusa site requesting clarification. I will let you know what they say.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke

I think you may be on to something. The max should have had some sort of update in horsepower and some style change like wheels. The Teana is ugly in my opinon but if that is the route they are going to take bye bye Nissan and hello Infiniti M35. Bottom line Nissan is dissapointing on there flagship and that is not a good thing, feels like old Nissan is rearing its ugly nose again. Maxima Fans get ready i think our beloved Max maybe going away.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 PM

The only cars that the Nissan by my house has in the front lot, are used cars. This blows I wanna look. I guess I'll check it out when my dad goes to check out the Titan.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by geo1317
its was a dealer/port install option, now you can get it from the factory.

And i think the build program is screwed up, but the leather thing might be true because for 2005 you cant get a 3.5SE 5MT Altima with leather.
wrong, you could always get SAT factory. it was 4 or 500 factory installed, always an option online. the dealer charged extra for install.
--------

lightonthehill is starring as 007 in Maximas Never Die Sneak peek of filming located at Atlantian Nissan dealers......
Old 08-21-2005, 05:09 AM
The "Other" project

Hey everyone, I went to Gwinnett Place nissan here in Duluth and the 06's were straight out on the lot.........the only difference that I could visually see from my 04 was the interior trim is more of a brushed finish.......exterior......take the tint off my windows.......no difference at all
Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
Hey everyone, I went to Gwinnett Place nissan here in Duluth and the 06's were straight out on the lot.........the only difference that I could visually see from my 04 was the interior trim is more of a brushed finish.......exterior......take the tint off my windows.......no difference at all
uhh, the 05's have the brushed interior.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:20 AM
The "Other" project

sorry my bad, never looked at an 05
Old 08-21-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by belal242
I think you may be on to something. The max should have had some sort of update in horsepower and some style change like wheels. The Teana is ugly in my opinon but if that is the route they are going to take bye bye Nissan and hello Infiniti M35. Bottom line Nissan is dissapointing on there flagship and that is not a good thing, feels like old Nissan is rearing its ugly nose again. Maxima Fans get ready i think our beloved Max maybe going away.
If Nissan drops the Maxima, I think that would be a big mistake, because I know they would lose a lot of buyers. Hopefully, there is another reason, that the 2006 Maxima was left out in the cold.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:01 PM

Interesting, looks like 6-speed manual Maxima's can't be ordered with the Navigation system?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Found some info about the new 06 TL at TL forums.

2006 TL changes
Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TL’s already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors.

* Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
* Revised engine management system and steering angle sensor logic help reduce torque steer
* New Colors:
o Royal Blue Pearl replaces Abyss Blue Pearl
o Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
o Deep Green Pearl discontinued

New horsepower/torque ratings: 258 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 233 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
What's particularly interesting is this steering angle senor logic, that reduces torque steer. It seems like the TL will be getting quite a few more MY06 changes than the Maxima.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Looks like the TL didnt do much either. But then again the TL got rid of a big problem the Max still has, TORQUE STEER! Nissan im sorry but this really may be my last, which is sad because im 21 and i have alot of new car buying in my future.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Hey guys I know this might sound crazy but when Cadillac was set to unleash the new Escallade I went to the dealership and talked to the sales guy and he took me riht to the back to see it. He said that it was to go on sale two weeks later. I know I'm a newbie with limited voice but if the dealership has them just ask one of the greedy salesman to let you see it. Hey you never know what these guys will do to get the inside track on a sale. The funny thing is the dealer was trying to sale my buddy the slade. Go figure of course he waited after seeing that. I'm still laughing at that because he lost a sale being greedy. He waited until the new one came out and got his at the end of the first model year. Just some food for thought
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by belal242
Looks like the TL didnt do much either. But then again the TL got rid of a big problem the Max still has, TORQUE STEER! Nissan im sorry but this really may be my last, which is sad because im 21 and i have alot of new car buying in my future.
but if you ask many, the torque steer has somehow gone away after breaking it in. you should look at the torque steer threads and learn what actually causes it.

all the Maxima enthusiasts should realize there's no true pattern for the Max gens. Look how long the 4th Gen lasted, then the 5th Gen had the major motor change year 3. Year 4 was the last of the 5th and is exactly the same as year 3. If you buy a service manual for the 03 you get an 02 one.

They atleast made a few nice additions for 06. I thought it was quite obvious, that for the price range the Maxima is "maxed out." If I thought there was possibly more I could get for the same amount of money, I would have waited. Everyone wants more for less. well in the real world you get what you pay for or less.

People already cried about the price increase for 04, but somehow ignored all the incredible features added. Some cry that it doesn't rival the Bently in features while crying that it's a bit more than the Mustang.

For all that some demand, of course Nissan delivers them to you. They're called Infiniti's.

Then some demand a 300 hp FWD, but can't live with a little torque steer.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
but if you ask many, the torque steer has somehow gone away after breaking it in. you should look at the torque steer threads and learn what actually causes it.

all the Maxima enthusiasts should realize there's no true pattern for the Max gens. Look how long the 4th Gen lasted, then the 5th Gen had the major motor change year 3. Year 4 was the last of the 5th and is exactly the same as year 3. If you buy a service manual for the 03 you get an 02 one.

They atleast made a few nice additions for 06. I thought it was quite obvious, that for the price range the Maxima is "maxed out." If I thought there was possibly more I could get for the same amount of money, I would have waited. Everyone wants more for less. well in the real world you get what you pay for or less.

People already cried about the price increase for 04, but somehow ignored all the incredible features added. Some cry that it doesn't rival the Bently in features while crying that it's a bit more than the Mustang.

For all that some demand, of course Nissan delivers them to you. They're called Infiniti's.

Then some demand a 300 hp FWD, but can't live with a little torque steer.

I think i made a thread a while back about my torque steer being gone, but that really wasnt the point i was getting at the fact that at least Acura is fixing problems rather than just passing them on year to year. I do agree with you about the Maxiama being maxed out but i did expect some horse power gains and some interior finish upgrades which doesnt cost much(interior). Plus its not like the new upgrades are free we do have to pay for them anyways.

I also dont think this is a new trend, Nissan is up to something i wouldnt be suprised to see a 6.5 mid-year or the Maxima just go away in another 2 years. Well i guess we can wait and enjoy our conversations about the future but we really never know.

Quick Reply: 2006 Maxima Info