6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

So Torn!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM

So Torn!

I have to tell the BBB tomorrow whether or not I am going to accept the buy back offer or ask for a new Max. I love my car aside from the troubles that has forced Nissan to re-purchase, but I think I might go for a G35 sedan. I drove an 05 (new) this weekend and wow that car is sweet. Small but hey it's just me so room is not an issue. The main thing that bothers me is I can afford a loaded Max but not a loaded G35. I would sure miss the heated steering wheel, memory seating and steering, power folding mirrors, and other bells and whistles. The warranty is awesome on the G35 also, but I am not going to go over every pro vs. con. The bottom line is I will toss and turn all night not knowing what to do.

Regardless I want to thank this site and it's members b/c I was able to tackle my problem with quite a bit of knowledge and it helped tremendously. A donation will be made soon I owe maxima.org.

BTW I thought it was kind of funny at the Infiniti dealer there was another 04 MAX. I asked her if it ever got the shakes. She whispered "that why I am trading it in".
Old 11-06-2005, 09:54 PM

MSRP on an 06 G35 sedan is only about $1000 more than a comparably equipped Maxima and the Infiniti dealers local to me still have quite a few 05's left so you'd think they would be willing to wheel and deal on them. Truth be told, if not for the smaller size, I would probably be driving a new 05 G35x. We absolutely loved the larger 06 M35x, but it's more than we were willing to pay this time around.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good luck on your search, and you will know what to do when tis time. either waay you will get great cars with infiniti of nissan. My brother owned a G35 coupe and man that thing rocked... Again good, luck and let us know what happened...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
SuPeRmOd

MSRP on an 06 G35 sedan is only about $1000 more than a comparably equipped Maxima
please show me the comparison at $1000. IIRC a fully loaded Elite Max may be close to $1000 of a bare G.

Maybe this will help you decide. I made sure, knowing I would barely afford a new car, that it had Everything I wanted and that I would still want it way past the 5 years of payments. I could not get one that needed even just a little more room, or I felt lacked every possible feature I enjoy.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is such a dilemma... I am not a big fan of the headlights on the G, so I like the Max better... The eyes are the windows to the soul... Give the Max another try... a red one!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
please show me the comparison at $1000. IIRC a fully loaded Elite Max may be close to $1000 of a bare G.
Why don't you try searching instead of sitting around waiting for a handout?

Seriously, take a look at the Nissan and Infiniti websites:

Maxima SL Base MSRP = $30,000
Infiniti G35 Base MSRP = $31,300

Maxima SE equipped as mine with:

Driver Preferred Package
Includes leather appointed seats, 4-way power passenger seat, heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors, compass in rearview mirror, rear spoiler, Xenon high intensity discharge headlights, heated power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory, driver's seat with 2-position memory, auto entry/exit system and power folding exterior door mirrors with memory.

Sensory Package
Includes 320-watt Bose AM/FM stereo, cassette player, 6-disc in-dash CD player, 8 Bose speakers including 2 woofers, radio data system, speed sensitive volume control, leather appointed seats, 4-way power passenger seat, heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and compass in rearview mirror.

Premium Audio Package
Includes 320-watt Bose AM/FM stereo, cassette player, 6-disc in-dash CD player, 8 Bose speakers including 2 woofers, radio data system and speed sensitive volume control.

Power Glass Sunroof

Front, Rear and Trunk Mats

Colored Splash Guards
4-piece set.

MSRP = $34,745

Infiniti G35 Sedan equipped with:

Premium Package B
Includes satellite radio, Bose AM/FM stereo, radio data system, 6-disc CD changer, MP3 playback, 7 speakers, power tilt/slide glass sunroof with one-touch open/close and pinch protection, Bluetooth Hands-Free phone system, manually reclining rear seatbacks with adjustable outboard head restraints, auto on/off headlights, dual zone climate control, carbon interior air filter, HomeLink universal remote transceiver, electrochromic rearview mirror, power windows with one-touch auto-down/up and safety reverse, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, auto entry/exit system, Intelligent Key (keyless entry) and rear air conditioning vents.

Sport-Tuned Suspension Package
Includes sport-tuned springs and shock absorbers, 18" x 7.5" aluminum alloy wheels with 5-spoke performance design, P235/45WR18 performance tires and viscous limited slip differential.

Sunroof
Includes power sliding/tilt glass sunroof with one-touch open/close and safety reverse.

Painted Splash Guards
Includes 4-piece, body-colored splash guards.

Trunk Mat w/Standard Space Saver Spare Tire

MSRP = $36,250

$36250
-------
$1505

Okay, $1500 between relatively similarly equipped cars. Are we happy now?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Moderator GT-R

When I was deciding between Maxima and G35 the MSRP was < $2000 difference but... They were discounting the hell out of Maximi, G35s were going for MSRP+.
My $34,000 MSRP Maxima sold for +/- $27k.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Get another max and move on... research done...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:08 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Why don't you try searching instead of sitting around waiting for a handout?

$36250
-------
$1505

Okay, $1500 between relatively similarly equipped cars. Are we happy now?
why would i search when I'm talking about REAL WORLD numbers Who do you know that paid $34k+ for a Max? Not many. I paid less than $30k for everything but NAVI and Elite. Show me an Infiniti dealer that will sell me a New G off the truck with the same features w/in $1000?

If you paid $34k+ for yours, you got I see a $7000 difference to what one actually pays a dealer.

And yeah, searching a Max site will show me how much most pay for a G . I provided resources for non-supporting members to search, and all you do is cry that you can't. Others showed you what you could have found.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
When I was deciding between Maxima and G35 the MSRP was < $2000 difference but... They were discounting the hell out of Maximi, G35s were going for MSRP+.
My $34,000 MSRP Maxima sold for +/- $27k.
This is true. However, the Infiniti dealer nearest me still shows 44 2005 G35s in inventory in addition the the new 2006s arriving so they may be getting a little anxious to move the 05s. Might not get as good of a deal as a Maxima, especially an 05 Max, but you never know until you try. I guess brewboy just needs to decide what suits him best and then start working the numbers.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
why would i search when I'm talking about REAL WORLD numbers Who do you know that paid $34k+ for a Max? Not many. I paid less than $30k for everything but NAVI and Elite. Show me an Infiniti dealer that will sell me a New G off the truck with the same features w/in $1000?

If you paid $34k+ for yours, you got I see a $7000 difference to what one actually pays a dealer.
Like I said, the Infiniti dealers near me still have a glut of 05 G35s. At some point they are going to start getting anxious to move them. I'd wager the difference will be a LOT less than your $7K figure. But I suppose that in regards to someone who can barely afford even a Maxima, I do understand your point.

And yeah, searching a Max site will show me how much most pay for a G .
Ummm, who said anything about only searching Maxima sites? Do you not know how to use google or go to other automotive sites?

I provided resources for non-supporting members to search, and all you do is cry that you can't. Others showed you what you could have found.
Rather than "crying" I was simply pointing out the idiocy of telling someone to search the forums when doing so has been made at best difficult and inconvenient for them.