6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Yet another mileage thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 AM

Yet another mileage thread.....

I have 35,5** on my '04 SL. Almost no more warranty..Nissan will be seeing me for a laundry list here in a few weeks.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Not for rookies!!

What problems do you have?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by wesallenjr
What problems do you have?
Why did you wait?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, can someone help me out,
i got a maxima 05 se elite, got it 2 months ago,
i just have a couple of questions that maybe you people can help me with,
1) how many mpg do u people get on a tank?
i use super and fill it up every time and i only get 200-220 miles on a tank.
now the thing is the tank is supposed to be 20 gallons but i wait till the light comes on and the lcd says like 2 miles to empty till i fill it up, and i can only get like 16 gallons in there and someone told me that if you cant get 20 gallons then there might be something wrong with the car.

2) when ever i speed a little the car starts smelling (like rotten eggs)
and that when im flooring it, im wondering is that ok?
i asked the dealer he said its the gas but i use premium (brand name)

i really appreciate any response.

thanks

if you want you can email at exercise4everr@hotmail.com with any suggestions

ps: if u wanna see pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167277/1
Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by lojol
now the thing is the tank is supposed to be 20 gallons but i wait till the light comes on and the lcd says like 2 miles to empty till i fill it up, and i can only get like 16 gallons in there and someone told me that if you cant get 20 gallons then there might be something wrong with the car.

i asked the dealer he said its the gas but i use premium (brand name)...
Welcome.

1. 22-23MPG, 380+ miles per tank, 17.5 is the most I pumped. Check here Go easy on the gas, lojol

2. Some members experience this issue, check here
Old 11-12-2005, 10:47 AM

thanks

I saw a guy at the dealer the other day he told me the same thing about is car stinking when he hit the gas, and he was asking me if i have the same problem, it sounded strange but i guess its not
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 PM

You will see this information in other 6-Gen posts and also Fluids and Lubes Section (of this site) posts -- you need to get your engine properly broken in before you will start getting the gas mileage the Max is capable of giving. The break-in period will vary with each VQ engine, most likely between 5K and 10 K miles. Once you get past break in, you should get between 18 and 23 mph in town, depending on how heavy you are with your right foot. Cruising on the interstate, you should get between about 24 and 30 mph, with the optimum speed for good mileage being between about 55 and 65 mph. In my Max (with a 6-speed) the engine is truning over at 3 K RPM when the car is going 82 mph, and the gas mileage suffers vs going slower.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't know how accurate the fuel economy computer is, but
mine has been consistently displaying around 435 miles after all of
my fill ups. The MPG is 25.5 for my commutes.
I have 1300 miles so far.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 AM

On the highway, I've been getting around 29mpg...
and for the go-and-stop trips, i get on the avg of 18mpg...
For both numbers, I know that I can do better if I drove like a granny.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 PM

680 KM DTE.. if I use shell bronze (87 octane) ... 575 KM if I use Shell 91 oct or sunoco 94 oct.... thats the computer reading at the fill... noticed that when the tank empties it is always around 600 KM (375 miles I think) .. so what I am saying is that the computer gets confused (or the gas is bad) when I use 87 octane shell...
i read somewhere that the 87 oct from shell (or others) messes up with the sensor in the tank... do not know the exact term for it, but there is a silver/mercury plate (Correct me if I am wrong) that does not work well with this gas.. LightOnHill .. some insight here pls. ..
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 PM

My calculations show that 600 KM is about 372 miles, 680 KM is about 422 miles and 575 KM is about 357 miles. The way I remember this is that 100 KM is about 62 miles.

Your note does not make complete sense to me (or I'm a little dense). I continue to maintain that miles (or KM) per tank of gasoline is not a good measure of mileage. Get the calcualtion in terms of either MPG or KPG or KPL. Then you have something better for comparison purposes.

My experience with my on-board computer is that the MPG it calcuates is as good or better than the one I do using gallons put in the tank (till full) vs miles traveled since the last fill-up. Given the difficulty of always filling your tank to exactly the same level every time you buy gasoline, I tend to believe the computer more than my calculation.

I doubt if any branded gasoline (including Shell) will mess up any sensor in your fuel tank. I do believe that given the technology in the VQ engine, it is possible to get somewhat better gas mileage burning premium gasoline than burning regular. To determine which grade (regular, mid-grade or premium) is the most economic in terms of miles traveled, you must do a cost per mile calculation after you determine the relative MPG that you Max gets from each grade. For most, this is too much trouble, and they will likely stick to Premium because it provedes the maximum performance from your Max.

I have been having a discussion on the Fluids & Lubes section of this site about the issue of which grade gets the best mileage. I do acknowledge that Premium should give slightly better mileage, but not enought better to justify the higher cost. I will be doing a highway test over Christmas and New Years when I drive back and forth to Chicago to determine if the cost per mile burning Premium more than justifies the added cost of Premium over Regular. I will try and post a link on this thread to my Fluids section answer based on my highway test.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by minsbang
On the highway, I've been getting around 29mpg....
I would be happy consistently getting 29 MPG on the highway. I have gotten just over 30 once, but believe I was helped by a tail wind. I typically get between 26 and 28 MPG cruising the interstates at speeds between 74 and 79 MPH. It improves just slightly when the highway speed limits make me slow to between 69 and 74 MPH.

You list your location as "Tri-State" -- where exactly is that and why be so secretive? Having lived in the Chicago area for many years, to me that means the area from southern Wisconsin through the Chicago area to NW Indiana. The area connected to the Tri-State Tollway in IL.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Newbie just Registered

I think the DTE is calculated by the speed that you are going at that time. If you are stopped at the light for a while, the DTE give different reading than when you're driving at a constant speed. The MPG is average between resets, depending on how many miles you've driven since reset. At least that's the impression I got. I think the MPG is pretty accurate overall, but I don't reset every time I fill up. I do reset the odo after fill ups and calculate the MPG myself.

If someone knows, does the computer compute engine speed vs. time vs. distance, or measure how much fuel is used (via pump or injectors)?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Get the calcualtion in terms of either MPG or KPG or KPL. Then you have something better for comparison purposes.
I get abt. 10litres/100 KM avg.. but i did not mention this as it depends on me either doing hwy or inner street driving (also wknds make a big diff)..

rhmax: I agree with u .. think the cmptr. is calculating on actual speed at the time (as seen in the trip meter)

what I was on abt. the gas (octane and shell) is that when I fill up at shell @87 octane and reset my fuel econ .. then the DTE shows abt. 680KM .. and when I fill with shell@91oct or Sunoco @94oct and reset my DTE the fuel econ shows abt. 575 KM... (This is a few seconds after the reset).

I've done this several times and see the same DTE for the diff fuels(oct. levels). I also do not fill up beyond the pump shutting off auto..(there might be a bit in this .. but not enuf to confuse the computer so much!)

And as for getting more KM/miles with premium... I just do not ... as I mentioned.. when my tank is approaching empty (abt. 10 - 30 Km after teh light.. not empty but, this is when I fill up again) .. I still get abt. 600 KM with either or the octanes...
Old 11-16-2005, 02:19 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by tubells
680 KM DTE.. if I use shell bronze (87 octane) ... 575 KM if I use Shell 91 oct or sunoco 94 oct.... thats the computer reading at the fill... noticed that when the tank empties it is always around 600 KM (375 miles I think) .. so what I am saying is that the computer gets confused (or the gas is bad) when I use 87 octane shell...
i read somewhere that the 87 oct from shell (or others) messes up with the sensor in the tank... do not know the exact term for it, but there is a silver/mercury plate (Correct me if I am wrong) that does not work well with this gas.. LightOnHill .. some insight here pls. ..
I never use shell, in Florida they were having problems. My son-in-law and quite a few others had to clean out their fuel systems. I only use super and always fill up when it hits a 1/4 of a tank. If you wait till it almost empty, it stirs up the residue on the bottom of the tank which can get intop the system.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=lojol]

Give the car a chance to break in.
Never wait till the tank is almost empty as per my reply to Tubells,
I don't know about the smell.

I have over 50,000 mile on my car and I get between 19 and 24 mpg because of my mods.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=ramberg I have over 50,000 mile on my car and I get between 19 and 24 mpg because of my mods.[/QUOTE]

thanks ramberg!

wow!.. i have just over 50,000 KM on mine (31000 miles approx.) and abt. 10K left and/or 9 months left.. tho the Km will come first, for my warranty!!

I do a mix of inner city/hwy so I get closer to the 24mpg.. and I guess it is only natural do floor this beast!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:27 PM

Ive got 56k on mine. Havent had any major problems.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I use Citgo 89 octane (middle grade) and i get a steady 25.0 mpg and always get about 400 miles from a tank. I originally used top grade, and get wicked bad gas milage, and then switched and it got better, not sure if it was that or the break-in of the engine. When i fill i usually put in about 15-17 gallons depending on how "dry" i run it.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 PM
wsu

lower mileage with higher octane?

Originally Posted by LglDlrX
I use Citgo 89 octane (middle grade) and i get a steady 25.0 mpg and always get about 400 miles from a tank. I originally used top grade, and get wicked bad gas milage, and then switched and it got better, not sure if it was that or the break-in of the engine. When i fill i usually put in about 15-17 gallons depending on how "dry" i run it.
Your comment is most interesting. I have been using premium (93 octane) religiously. I wonder if I would get higher mileage with 89 octane. I wish I could buy 91 octane, but it isn't sold in my area.

The real question is why would one get higher mileage with 89 octane as opposed to a higher octane? Any insights?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know this is off topic, but I can't post anywhere yet!

I am looking at an 04 Maxima SE loaded with Nav. It has 24k on it. I just wanted opinions of the car and what problems to expect. I drove it on the highway doing 75 and the steering wheel was shaking. I read that is a problem with these cars but has people gotten it fixed and it was really fixed? I also read about the tires splitting.

I just don't want to buy this car and its a big problem. There is 12k left on warranty which will last me only 5 months with my commute.

Are there less problems with the 06s than the 04s?

What opinions are there out there? I appreciate all the help and info. Thanks

Also I would like to say I love this cars looks and the way it drives.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

18-19 mpg city (heavy foot)
24-25 mpg highway (80+mph)
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM

i changed mine to metric today and noticed it was @21mpg (again this wk. hwy driving) ..my earlier quote...ramberg: avg shd. have said "closer to 19mpg"
Old 11-17-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikedaruke

I am looking at an 04 Maxima SE loaded with Nav. It has 24k on it. I just wanted opinions of the car and what problems to expect. I drove it on the highway doing 75 and the steering wheel was shaking. I read that is a problem with these cars but has people gotten it fixed and it was really fixed? I also read about the tires splitting.
I tried to send you a private message, but the system blocked it. So I will post here what I tried to send you in the message.

No one has answered you questions because all of these issues have been covered many times over in all of the different threads on this site.

I have an 04 with no shimmy problems. Many others on this site have had (or still have) shimmy problems with their 04. I suspect the reason this O4 is on the market is because of its shimmy problems. Suggest you consider an 05 model which seem to have many fewer problems with shimmy.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by wsu
Your comment is most interesting. I have been using premium (93 octane) religiously. I wonder if I would get higher mileage with 89 octane. I wish I could buy 91 octane, but it isn't sold in my area.

The real question is why would one get higher mileage with 89 octane as opposed to a higher octane? Any insights?
You can self-blend to get 91 Octane gasoline. When your tank is down about half, put in 5 gallons of Premium (93) and then fill up with Mid-grade (about 5 gallons of 89 octane). A 50-50 blend will give you 91 Octane. With the advent of so many special blends of gasoline, oil companies no longer refinery-blend a separate grade of gasoline known as Mid-grade (like they did in the early 1990s and before). The most common practice is to blend the proper volumes of premium and regular gasoline into the compartment on a tanker truck to get 89 octane. No reason you can't do the same into your tank.

There are a number of posts on threads in the Fluids and Lubes section of this site to cover the question of which grade of gasoline gives you better mileage. I checked them out and below provide a link to the thread that has some answers. Remember, there is no difinitive answer, only suppositions and opinions by some on this site.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&page=1&pp=30

On this thread you should read these Posts: # 1, 10, and 27 plus my posts which are #21 and # 30. The other posts on the first page only tell what grade they are using and little more. Don't bother to go to the second page where some get into a pissing match and say little. (Note that this whole thread was closed because of this.) However, I do provide another link to much more on octane in my post #47 on the second page of this thread.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thankyou.

The place I am buying it from only sells used cars that come off leases. All the cars were leased. You have an 04 and it doesn't have this problem then that means it can be fixed! I read about it on this site as well as on other sites. But in the end no one has said it was fixed!

I just wanted to get peoples opinons on if they would buy the 04 or try and get an 05-06. I know I want this car, just deciding if I should buy the 04 or wait to get an 05-06.

I appreciate your info. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:40 AM
GrandPa

Thankyou.

The place I am buying it from only sells used cars that come off leases. All the cars were leased. You have an 04 and it doesn't have this problem then that means it can be fixed! I read about it on this site as well as on other sites. But in the end no one has said it was fixed!

I just wanted to get peoples opinons on if they would buy the 04 or try and get an 05-06. I know I want this car, just deciding if I should buy the 04 or wait to get an 05-06.

I appreciate your info. Thanks!
I have a '04 and now have a little over 50,000 miles on it. The only major problem I had was the RSA tires which there is another thread on it. Yes ppl had some major problems with their '04's. Than may have been on the earlier cars. If you buy a '04 look at the service record and carfax. I wish you luck on what ever year car you buy. If the '04 has a skyview roof check the VIN number as there was a recall on them.

Warren
Old 11-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

Yes I it does have a skyview and I checked and my VIN is affected. The problem is I don't know if it was fixed by the previous owner. I guess if I buy it I can always just have it done again right?

Ok so I am going back to that dealer tomorrow. They let me take out the car for hours. So what should I check? Of course the steering wheel shimmy, and the tires splitting? Anything else I should look for?

I appreciate everyones time!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Not for rookies!!

Do you know that you can make your own posts right away and get some other privileges if you donate to the site?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 AM
GrandPa

Thanks!

Yes I it does have a skyview and I checked and my VIN is affected. The problem is I don't know if it was fixed by the previous owner. I guess if I buy it I can always just have it done again right?

Ok so I am going back to that dealer tomorrow. They let me take out the car for hours. So what should I check? Of course the steering wheel shimmy, and the tires splitting? Anything else I should look for?

I appreciate everyones time!
Call the Nissan at 800-647-7261 and give them the vin number and ask if it was taken car of by the previous owner and alsom ask them if they have the service records.
Check everything out. Radio, AC, heater etc.

Check the inside walls of the tires to see if there are any cracks. RSA problem.

If checks have them change it thru goodyear.

Warren
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! You been a great help!

I called that Nissan number and they me the Seat Harness and SkyView recalls were taken care of. She also gave me the name and number of the dealer who serviced the car.

I called that dealer and he gave me all the records over the phone.

He said oil was changed, 7500 matience done, wheel locks installed, front brakes changed and rotors resurfaced. He said that is all that was completed. The car has not been in for anything else.

So it looks like the previous owner treated the care well and did everything he could. As far as the steering wheel shimmy if I buy the car I can get that taken care of under warranty. I will also check to see if the tires sidewalls are cracked. If they are do I just call Good Year or do I bring it to Nissan for them to fix something also before getting the new tires?

Thanks again, and I will donate money to the site if I get the car, since I will be on it all the time!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
GrandPa

Good luck. Any problems just ask. You will get alot of help here.

Warren
Old 11-18-2005, 12:19 PM

The inside walls of the original equipment RSA tires were where 3 of my for tires had cracks. They were hard to find, but there. I replaced my RSA tires early at 30 K miles with Michelin Pilot Sports.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so its the RSA that crack, it has nothing to do with the Maxima, its the tire issue? So if I get different tires then I am ok?

Thanks

If I get the car Saturday I will post pics for everyone!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 PM
GrandPa

Ok so its the RSA that crack, it has nothing to do with the Maxima, its the tire issue? So if I get different tires then I am ok?

Thanks

If I get the car Saturday I will post pics for everyone!
Its a goodyear issue. But check before you buy the car, f cracked have the seller replace them. Why should you go thru the hassels.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

DAMN.... some of you guys have some real mileage on your cars i have an 04 with just 16k on the clock but mine is a lease but i do drive her but the wifes car gets to ride out most of the time because of the system.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM

Just thought i'd let u guys hear of my new discovery, i am new to this forum but i have a 05' Maxima that i just got (11K miles ago) and but the new K&N drop in filter in it and am currently getting 32mpg Highway and 75-79 mph. By the way the RSA's suck
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just don't want to buy this car and its a big problem. There is 12k left on warranty which will last me only 5 months with my commute.

Are there less problems with the 06s than the 04s?

What opinions are there out there? I appreciate all the help and info. Thanks

Also I would like to say I love this cars looks and the way it drives.

I have an O4 Maxima SL and I've taken my car to the dealership for this problem at least 8 - 10 times since I've had the car. I don't think they can do much to fix it. I've changed my tires, road force balanced them and they also adjusted the steering rack. You will be a very lucky man if they can fix this problem for you. One thing you might also notice is that the steering wheel vibrates when you brake at higher speeds. I've had the rotors worked and that still didn't solve the braking issue.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks

If you are getting 200 miles to the tank then there is something really wrong with the car. Even if you are driving very aggressively you shouldn't get 200 miles to the tank. Take it easy on the car the first few months. This is the break in period. They instruct you not to push the engine too hard the first 1000 miles or so.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

We just picked up a 06 Maxima SE and are breaking it in. It's a lease for my GF. I drive a Titan. As far as MPG I was shocked at how low it was till I remembered how certain vehicles get better MPG as they break in. We started at 13-14 mpg (city) and it has been steadily going up as the car breaks in. We are at about 17-18 mpg now (city).
GF was pissed off at 1st cause she really wanted another Xterra or Pathy, but wanted to save on gas. And we she saw that it was getting less than the X she was not happy. Now she is feeling alittle better about it.

Quick Reply: Yet another mileage thread.....