6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:32 AM

HID Fogs

Just finished installing the Helios H3 fogs, they look great. Only thing is that the factory 4300K HIDs look yellow compared to the 6000K fogs. I ordered 6000K Phillips Ultinons for the headlights when they come in I will post pics.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

we're waiting...............
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
.org extraordinaire

same here

I did this last weekend along with the pedal mod.... new thread for that.

Well anywhoo, I ordered the 3000K bulbs but they ended up sending me the 6000K bulbs. NON MICRO non the less. Anyways, it looka stupid with the fogs shining more blue then the Main Projectors. Waiting for my 3K bulbs to come in. Ill also post pics of the install.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 11-13-2005, 04:10 PM

check out my homepage. I have both sets of 6000k (prolumens D2s and Micro H3) and it still doesn't match 100%.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

the headlight is beaming through a tinted glass though, the fog is not... I don't think you are getting the true color of the headlight cause of that..
Old 11-14-2005, 12:37 PM

pics please ?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Not for rookies!!

Old 11-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by wesallenjr

Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM

Old 11-14-2005, 09:36 PM

How do I go about installing HID fog lights into my headlights? I currently do have the factory HID main projectors, I hate the yellow light of the fogs. What do I need to buy and what do I need to do to make this happen?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 PM

you gotta buy a h3 fog HID kit.... and then just install it
Old 11-15-2005, 07:19 AM

if you wanna match your stock HIDs, then you can get the 4300k H3 HIDs.
Contact UMNITZA on the org.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 PM

So I can just buy new H3 bulbs and its just plug and play from there? What do I need to do to access the existing fog light bulbs in my 2004 maxima now so that I can replace them with new ones? Does anything under the hood need to be removed in order to replace these fog light bulbs? Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Also, whats a good set of H3 fog light bulbs? I see a million of them on ebay, what should i look for? I want them to look as close to my main HID projectors as possible, I heard that the mains are 10,000K .....yet I keep hearing that people are looking for 4300k fog light bulbs and these match the mains, this doesnt make sense to me. Could someone please help...I am thinking about some 7000K H3 bulbs for the fogs, which to chose???
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM

stock HIDS are 4300k. don't believe what others say.

i upgraded my stock D2S bulbs to 6000k to match my 6000k micro H3 HIDS. You'll need to remove the front bumper and the headlights.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 PM
.org extraordinaire

What!!

Originally Posted by minsbang
stock HIDS are 4300k. don't believe what others say.

i upgraded my stock D2S bulbs to 6000k to match my 6000k micro H3 HIDS. You'll need to remove the front bumper and the headlights.
NO NO AND NO!!!

Dont remove the front bumper or the headlights. You can do everything with the bumper in place, its very easy but you have to be patient and remove a lot of plastic trim around the engine compartment. Nothing big. The longest part took me removing the front grill. I stuffed my balasts on the sides of the main grill and teh igniters are velcro taped to the sides of the main D2S bulb housing. It alll looks stock and clean

I will be posting install pics when my Injen intake arrives.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 AM

If you want to change the main headlight bulbs you are going to have to remove the bumper and lights. I did like you kam but I bought 6000k Philips Ultinons to put in the mains. I am going to remove the bumber and lights so that I can put them in and propaly install the H3's so that I can close the fog light covers.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM

so Kam,
can you tell me a little more about the steps needed to install new fog light bulbs? I understand the plastic trim and the grill, anything else in order to access the bulb from the back of the housing? And also, is it just going to be plug and play? Unplug the original bulbs and replug in some H3 bulbs I buy from ebay? Thanks a lot
Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
.org extraordinaire

ok...

Please forgive the lack of pics, my ride is at the dealership again for allignment and break pulsation.

Anywhoo..

1) remove stock air box
2) remove front ram air scoop and front grill.
3) remove left plastic trim
4) unscrew windshield wash fill tube.
5) unscrew fog bulb back cover and unclip negative terminal from it.
6) unclip the positive terminal from the fog location bracket.
8) repeat on the other side.

TRICKY PART

9) when u remove the fog cover you will have to pull out the wire in it, just cut the rubber trim around the wire and pull off the fog back cover.

10) ok so you have your new H3 HID bulbs, they have a rubber gromet on them. That rubber gromet will have to fit onto the fog back cover bracket. I used a dremel to cut in the back cover bracket hole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger rubber gromet.

11) put gromet in the fog back cover.
12) adjust wires to desired length.
13) insert the fog bulb into the fog bracket assembly and adjust wires as needed through the rubber gromet.
14) close fog back cover bracket.
15) you should now have two wires coming out of the fog back cover assembly.
16) mount your igniter, I used 3M double sided velcro tape to mount the igniter on the inner side of the D2S main bulb location, right beside the fogs.
17) mount your ballast, I used 3M double sided water resilliant tape to mount the ballast on the inside of the bumper assembly, on top of the horizontal crosbeam. (the part that holds the bumper in place, on either side of the grill.

18) run your cables through wire loom, under neath the light assembly, inner most corner.
19) connect the loose (old) fog cables to the ballast connection.
20) connect ballast to igniters.
21) tape off the connections with electrical tape and place it inside wire loom.
22) repeat on other side.
22.5) TEST TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK. IT THEY WORK GO TO 23)
23) re attach all trim, intake, grill and forced air scoop.
24) drive at night and see like an owl.

KAM
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks a lot Kam, I appreciate your help
Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM

Hey Kam, do you know if and how we can change the front cornering light bulbs in the front bumper?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM

You can change them to PIAA or something like that. I changed mine to PIAA xtreme whites. Gives off a nice white color.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:02 PM

How did you change the cornering lights in the bumper?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Sucks that the fogs are in the headlights...like those VWs
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM

There are two scres underneath the bumper near the wheel well. Take them out, pull the bumper out a little then reach up inside and twist the bulb to remove it.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Give us a call, we won't be undersold by anyone.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:17 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by umnitza
Give us a call, we won't be undersold by anyone.
make sure you ship the right bulbs

Kam

P.S.- I wish bumper had fog locations but all after market bumpers look retarded, the new one out from redlinemax looks like a whale on an eating binge . I wish they could make something more in between the stock and redline one, but also keep the cornering lights and add fogs.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:10 PM

JoesRedMax,
Thanks, do you or anyone else happen to know what kind of bulb are in the corninging lights in the bumper? Ill buy them, I hate the yellow light it gives off.....also, also I need to do is just twist out the old bulb and twist in the new bulb?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:47 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
JoesRedMax,
Thanks, do you or anyone else happen to know what kind of bulb are in the corninging lights in the bumper? Ill buy them, I hate the yellow light it gives off.....also, also I need to do is just twist out the old bulb and twist in the new bulb?

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41

Old 11-20-2005, 03:00 PM

....just out of curiosity and mainly because I'm interested in getting HID's for my fogs as well, how much did this fog kit cost, and was it a real pain installing it??

Thanks in advanced.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
make sure you ship the right bulbs

Kam

P.S.- I wish bumper had fog locations but all after market bumpers look retarded, the new one out from redlinemax looks like a whale on an eating binge . I wish they could make something more in between the stock and redline one, but also keep the cornering lights and add fogs.
Yours were special order, that is why the mixup - sorry again.

Installation is not a pain, it's quite simple.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
.org extraordinaire

Kam

Originally Posted by umnitza
Yours were special order, that is why the mixup - sorry again.

Installation is not a pain, it's quite simple.
ETA on the new ones being shipped? And I sent you the e-mail with the info on the pricing i needed.

Thanks Again,

Kam
Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm sorry, I wish I saw an email from you, I did not. Sometimes the spam filters hit everything.

Please please resend I would really appreciate it
Old 11-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ok minsbang,

i have seen you on here, and i think your the only one beside me that has the H3 Micro set up for the fogs... I have a post on here in another HID/fog topic, but i need some advice quickly.. What dod you do to connect your whole system... I have heard so many ways of doing it, it is driving me crazy... All i need to know is if i cut the wires going to the black cap then to the lights (red/black), then connect the cut wires from the harness to the ballast red / black wires, and then i would have to remove the stock wires from the black cap including the stock h3 bulb.

then i would have to cut the wires from my Micro bulb, run the wires through the black cap, reattach wires, put in bulb, latch down with stock clips, then seal it up.. As you know our H3 min/micro set up has 2 wires (red/black) and run straight into the bulb. But the stock bulb that would be removed had only the red wire running to the bulb and the black wire to a pin type connection.... Whats the deal with that, and will what i am trying to do work?? Please explain IN DETAIL, thats including where the wires are coming from and to what connection, if you had to cut anything, and so on... Some instructions are not clear, and i need CLEAR answers.

thanks for your time, and anyone else jump in to explain as well... Thanks

OH, BTW, this is for the HELIOS H3 KIT, not any other..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
ok minsbang,

i have seen you on here, and i think your the only one beside me that has the H3 Micro set up for the fogs... I have a post on here in another HID/fog topic, but i need some advice quickly.. What dod you do to connect your whole system... I have heard so many ways of doing it, it is driving me crazy... All i need to know is if i cut the wires going to the black cap then to the lights (red/black), then connect the cut wires from the harness to the ballast red / black wires, and then i would have to remove the stock wires from the black cap including the stock h3 bulb.

then i would have to cut the wires from my Micro bulb, run the wires through the black cap, reattach wires, put in bulb, latch down with stock clips, then seal it up.. As you know our H3 min/micro set up has 2 wires (red/black) and run straight into the bulb. But the stock bulb that would be removed had only the red wire running to the bulb and the black wire to a pin type connection.... Whats the deal with that, and will what i am trying to do work?? Please explain IN DETAIL, thats including where the wires are coming from and to what connection, if you had to cut anything, and so on... Some instructions are not clear, and i need CLEAR answers.

thanks for your time, and anyone else jump in to explain as well... Thanks

OH, BTW, this is for the HELIOS H3 KIT, not any other..

ok...
Please forgive the lack of pics, my ride is at the dealership again for allignment and break pulsation.

Anywhoo..

1) remove stock air box
2) remove front ram air scoop and front grill.
3) remove left plastic trim
4) unscrew windshield wash fill tube.
5) unscrew fog bulb back cover and unclip negative terminal from it.
6) unclip the positive terminal from the fog location bracket.
8) repeat on the other side.

TRICKY PART

9) when u remove the fog cover you will have to pull out the wire in it, just cut the rubber trim around the wire and pull off the fog back cover.

10) ok so you have your new H3 HID bulbs, they have a rubber gromet on them. That rubber gromet will have to fit onto the fog back cover bracket. I used a dremel to cut in the back cover bracket hole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger rubber gromet.

11) put gromet in the fog back cover.
12) adjust wires to desired length.
13) insert the fog bulb into the fog bracket assembly and adjust wires as needed through the rubber gromet.
14) close fog back cover bracket.
15) you should now have two wires coming out of the fog back cover assembly.
16) mount your igniter, I used 3M double sided velcro tape to mount the igniter on the inner side of the D2S main bulb location, right beside the fogs.
17) mount your ballast, I used 3M double sided water resilliant tape to mount the ballast on the inside of the bumper assembly, on top of the horizontal crosbeam. (the part that holds the bumper in place, on either side of the grill.
http://www.watsonsglen.com/Kam/Maxi...it/S3600307.JPG
18) run your cables through wire loom, under neath the light assembly, inner most corner.
19) connect the loose (old) fog cables to the ballast connection.
20) connect ballast to igniters.
21) tape off the connections with electrical tape and place it inside wire loom.
22) repeat on other side.
22.5) TEST TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK. IT THEY WORK GO TO 23)
23) re attach all trim, intake, grill and forced air scoop.
24) drive at night and see like an owl.

KAM

No cutting of any sort!!! just pop out the cables that go throught the back cap. you might have to remove the rubber. Anywhoo, you then make the whole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger newer gromet for the HID bulbs. When that is done, feed the gromet into the rear cap and secure it. Then attach your cables to the left over connectors that were connected inside the housing previously.

Kam