6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need HELP / HID FOG HELIOS KIT

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need HELP / HID FOG HELIOS KIT

OK, guys, gents, and mates.. This has been hashed at for a while in a couple of threads. This is what i am trying to do for all of us, and those that are interested in installing the HELIOS, or OTHER HID FOG KIT... I will doing a FULL PICTURE DIAGRAMED, Write UP, or HOW 2. So this confussion (my-own, lol) will be cleared up once and for all.. I have my lights totally off of my vehicle, or i have an extra set, so i can do this slowly, and with enough pics and know how that even the meager dumb butts (me), can do this blindfolded, but i should add a disclaimer or 2...

Please use this thread for a complete write up, that is including the smallest detail, and i will add them together, and tweak it so it will come out squeaky clean.. Even to the point of where you got the items from, or where you can get them (prices? of items / extra bits)...

Now i have heard different ways of what to do with the wires that are inside the fog cap, this needs to made absolutely clear... Include all connections, where they go, and where they will be connected to, at ALL ENDS.

To be absolute, i have the Xenon Headlights ready to go, and the HELIOS 6000K HID (( H3 - MICRO ))...

So guys FIRE AWAY, and go easy on me, this is for ALL, so there will be a COMPLETE HOW 2, on this, with PICTURES.. I have my camera ready, right by my lights, so let the fun begin...

THANKS...

ALSO, thanks goes to JoesRedMax, and minsbang for their initial posts, and PM's to start this off...
Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 AM

hmmmmmm. bump..
Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I can use this how to...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 AM
.org extraordinaire

follow below instrucitons.

Anywhoo..

1) remove stock air box
2) remove front ram air scoop and front grill.
3) remove left plastic trim
4) unscrew windshield wash fill tube.
5) unscrew fog bulb back cover and unclip negative terminal from it.
6) unclip the positive terminal from the fog location bracket.
8) repeat on the other side.

TRICKY PART

9) when u remove the fog cover you will have to pull out the wire in it, just cut the rubber trim around the wire and pull off the fog back cover.

10) ok so you have your new H3 HID bulbs, they have a rubber gromet on them. That rubber gromet will have to fit onto the fog back cover bracket. I used a dremel to cut in the back cover bracket hole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger rubber gromet.

11) put gromet in the fog back cover.
12) adjust wires to desired length.
13) insert the fog bulb into the fog bracket assembly and adjust wires as needed through the rubber gromet.
14) close fog back cover bracket.
15) you should now have two wires coming out of the fog back cover assembly.
16) mount your igniter, I used 3M double sided velcro tape to mount the igniter on the inner side of the D2S main bulb location, right beside the fogs.
17) mount your ballast, I used 3M double sided water resilliant tape to mount the ballast on the inside of the bumper assembly, on top of the horizontal crosbeam. (the part that holds the bumper in place, on either side of the grill.
http://www.watsonsglen.com/Kam/Maxi...it/S3600307.JPG
18) run your cables through wire loom, under neath the light assembly, inner most corner.
19) connect the loose (old) fog cables to the ballast connection.
20) connect ballast to igniters.
21) tape off the connections with electrical tape and place it inside wire loom.
22) repeat on other side.
22.5) TEST TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK. IT THEY WORK GO TO 23)
23) re attach all trim, intake, grill and forced air scoop.
24) drive at night and see like an owl.

KAM

No cutting of any sort!!! just pop out the cables that go throught the back cap. you might have to remove the rubber. Anywhoo, you then make the whole a bit bigger to accomondate the larger newer gromet for the HID bulbs. When that is done, feed the gromet into the rear cap and secure it. Then attach your cables to the left over connectors that were connected inside the housing previously.

Kam
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM

KAM, you have a great write up, but this doesnt work well.. This doesnt explain the process very well.. I need specific details.. EVERY STEP... And you do have to cut sdome wires for this to work.. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

uhm no u don

dont cut any wires,

the stock h3 fog wires should clip in directly into the helios kit. Key is to unlcip them from the bulb (hot) and the bulb retention mechanism (ground).

the key is to read the step by step SLOWLY ;-) believe me you cant mess it up, unless your slow (like me) and even then its still easy.

Kam
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM

LOL, KAM... thts great.. the concern i am having is with the black wire that is attached inside the cap, to a pole/stick type connection, i believe is the black wire... Why is it clipped to that instead of the bulb? Some other replies stated that i needed to make sure that the other wires are attached to that as well...???

So what you are saying is if i pull the original wires out of the black cap/fogs those need to be attached to the Ballast connection, correct. In the Helios Kit, the end wires with metal plug clips correct? then the bllast connects to the igniter, then the igniter to the bulbs (Red/Black) wires. All i need to do is cut the wires in between the bulbs (red/black), run them through the cap, and reconnect them... i really dont want to drill the hole any bigger.. plus the helios kit doesnt come with a rubber grommet..

please clarify this for me...

thanks...and i am a bit slow on some things...but once explained i totaly understand..
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
LOL, KAM... thts great.. the concern i am having is with the black wire that is attached inside the cap, to a pole/stick type connection, i believe is the black wire... Why is it clipped to that instead of the bulb? Some other replies stated that i needed to make sure that the other wires are attached to that as well...???

So what you are saying is if i pull the original wires out of the black cap/fogs those need to be attached to the Ballast connection, correct. In the Helios Kit, the end wires with metal plug clips correct? then the bllast connects to the igniter, then the igniter to the bulbs (Red/Black) wires. All i need to do is cut the wires in between the bulbs (red/black), run them through the cap, and reconnect them... i really dont want to drill the hole any bigger.. plus the helios kit doesnt come with a rubber grommet..

thanks...and i am a bit slow on some things...but once explained i totaly understand..

So what you are saying is if i pull the original wires out of the black cap/fogs those need to be attached to the Ballast connection, correct.

YES- you shouldnt cut any wires, the one from inside the housing should slip off, then you push out the wires from the inside of the housing. Honestly man, dont cut any wires.

All i need to do is cut the wires in between the bulbs (red/black), run them through the cap, and reconnect them... i really dont want to drill the hole any bigger.. plus the helios kit doesnt come with a rubber grommet..
OK... here you need to take the new HID bulb and stuff its cables throught the plastic cover, silicone it, glue it, drill it, i dont care but DONT CUT THE WIRES. 23,000V is enough to *** you and anyone else in your car should your shizt ground out improperly from bad wires, plus if you have lifetime warranty on your kit your gonna DONKEY *** that if the cables are cut.

NO!!..... see the stock H3 bulb has the housing as a ground and wire (hot or positive) the HID bulbs housing is made of rubber/plastic so it wont ground out and it has two individual wires. Both of thease have to be fead through the back plastic somehow, the orgional wires pulled out of the housing and then pulled out through the back cover and then..... connected to the ballast, then ballast to igniter.

Frig I will have to take some pics..... pics worth a 1000 words..... LOL :attention

Peace bro,

Kam
Old 11-30-2005, 07:15 PM

SWEET, BRO... So i was correct when i asked about this earlier... The only wires that need to be connected are the ones at the end of of the ballasts to the original wires you pulled from the black cap, CORRECT? If this is true then sweet... Where is a good place to find a rubber gommet to help fill that hole? How big did you drill that hole... and Lastly what did you use to connect the original wires to the ballast end wires?? Pics would deffinately be great..

this is a major improvement bro, and deffinately explains how to do this, Correctly...

As soon as you confirm this i will be putting together a full PICTURE HOW-2, and i will make sure to include your help in the project.

NOW, then. the only other problem would be where to put the ballasts, and igniters....but i see you have that in your write up. again pics would help...

thanks so much for your patience, and understanding...

Myk
Old 12-01-2005, 05:02 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
SWEET, BRO... So i was correct when i asked about this earlier... The only wires that need to be connected are the ones at the end of of the ballasts to the original wires you pulled from the black cap, CORRECT? If this is true then sweet... Where is a good place to find a rubber gommet to help fill that hole? How big did you drill that hole... and Lastly what did you use to connect the original wires to the ballast end wires?? Pics would deffinately be great..

I used a dremel to make the hole a touch bigger, nothing much just a touch, then my HID bulbs already came with rubber gromets. So I stuffed those in there cause the wires arleady went throught the rubber.

this is a major improvement bro, and deffinately explains how to do this, Correctly...

As soon as you confirm this i will be putting together a full PICTURE HOW-2, and i will make sure to include your help in the project.

NOW, then. the only other problem would be where to put the ballasts, and igniters....but i see you have that in your write up. again pics would help...

I stuffed my ballast on the bumper rails that hold the bumper in place, then I used wire loom to run the cables to the engine compartment under the main headlights, there is just enough space there. I secured them with 3M waterproof double sided tape. THEN I placed the igniters right behind the fog location, side of MAIN (D2S) bulb location with 3M double sided velcro pads. So If i have to remove it later on its just a velcro pull

thanks so much for your patience, and understanding...

Myk
Where is a good place to find a rubber gommet to help fill that hole? How big did you drill that hole... and Lastly what did you use to connect the original wires to the ballast end wires?? Pics would deffinately be great..
I used a dremel to make the hole a touch bigger, nothing much just a touch, then my HID bulbs already came with rubber gromets. So I stuffed those in there cause the wires arleady went throught the rubber.

I stuffed my ballast on the bumper rails that hold the bumper in place, then I used wire loom to run the cables to the engine compartment under the main headlights, there is just enough space there. I secured them with 3M waterproof double sided tape. THEN I placed the igniters right behind the fog location, side of MAIN (D2S) bulb location with 3M double sided velcro pads. So If i have to remove it later on its just a velcro pull

goo lUCK MANG, i will have to take some pics tonight or tommorow.

Kam
Old 12-02-2005, 09:55 PM

thanks bud... so what i wrote to you earier is correct about how to hook it up? If so, thanks i really appreciate it..

Also someone closed my thread about the body kit? i wonder why? I dont think it was right to close an open discussion. I really dont understand why someone did that.. Oh, well... Time to post over at the other Site.