6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

~~Cabin Air Filter...~~

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 AM

~~Cabin Air Filter...~~

...how often do you need to change this. I've had the car since 09-03 and I have yet to change it and I was thinking it's probably time to do so. So how often do you need to change that and also is it covered by warranty? If it's not, how much does that cost? I'm trying to do and buy alot of several things for my car seeing how I've neglected it for a while.

While I'm at this what oil filter do you guys use? Do you use the stock Nissan one or do you go out and get an aftermarket one? If you do can you please let me know the advantages of it and whatnot. Up until this point I've always used the Nissan one, but as I said if there are any certain advantages to using another I would definately be making a change.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it's covered by warranty but only 36k miles, so if you're out of warranty the dealer will try to rape you as usual. There are a bunch of threads on this, and the prices that people have been quoted vary wildly from like $25 to $100.

If you can get the part and you don't mind doing it yourself, it's the best way to go. It's a hassle to get to it, but it's not so bad when you think about the dealership trying to charge you $$$ for labor...

As far as how often, I guess it depends on the air quality around your parts. I know I waited a year to change mine and it was pretty dirty -- not NASTY, but bad enough that I'll check every 6 months from now on. If it's still dirty at that interval then I'll move to 3 months, etc.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
...how often do you need to change this. I've had the car since 09-03 and I have yet to change it and I was thinking it's probably time to do so. So how often do you need to change that and also is it covered by warranty? If it's not, how much does that cost? I'm trying to do and buy alot of several things for my car seeing how I've neglected it for a while.

While I'm at this what oil filter do you guys use? Do you use the stock Nissan one or do you go out and get an aftermarket one? If you do can you please let me know the advantages of it and whatnot. Up until this point I've always used the Nissan one, but as I said if there are any certain advantages to using another I would definately be making a change.

Thanks in advanced.

The recommended change interval is around 20K miles, your environment also plays a lot into it. Order the filter online ($25), I swapped mine out and rambergs in less than 5 minutes.

Their are 2 plastic pins underneath the glove box, slid them out and lower the glove box in an angle so the glove box comes out of it's guide slots. Us a flat tip screwdriver to open the filter cover (behind glove box). Once open, slide old out, new in. Reverse everything to put back. Dude, freakin easy...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 AM

Although Chernmax just stated how to change the filter, you can also consult the owner's manual. As for me, I just took the filter out, washed it with a soft toothbrush, warm water, and dishwashing soap. Let it sit out over night and then put it back in the morning. It worked fine for me. I don't think you could do this for the life of the filter, but certainly once or twice before buying a new one.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 AM
SuPeRmOd

please read your manual and maintenace book (or old posts) about the air filter....

read the oil forum about oil and filters.