6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

changing the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 PM

changing the air filter

Sorry guys if this is a repost but I am not allowed to search the threads yet. I was wondering if there were any threads that give you the steps on removing the air box to get to the air filter. Do i need to unplug the MAF and unscrew the bolts or is it easier than that?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

before Nismo gets here... open ur hood, look at the rectangular box behind the driver side headlight, unclip 2 metal clips, pull out old filter, replace with new oiled filter, put back cover securing 2 cilps, close your hood, start your engine, go nuts!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 PM

note: you dont need to unscrew or remove anything to get to the filter.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

ok, maybe you can't "search", but you can open your MANUAL right? and if you read each STICKY you can find even more resources like how You can search.

Within 1 minute I found your answer in the manual on page 8-19.

Now I don't recall only undoing the 2 clips, but you can try it. Like Hz said, electric connector can stay attached. But I loosened the 1. Screw.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:42 PM

yes..loosen the screw..makes it easier
Old 02-11-2006, 08:07 PM

So heres my story about changing out the air filter.

Read manual, learned how to change it out, loosen screw, undo clip, unplug electric connector.

Simple enough right? Since it was snowing, I was in a hurry to get this done. And like I said, since I was in a hurry I forget to replug in the electric connector. Started the car and the SES light and another light (VDC?) came on. Immedietly I remember not plugging in the electric connector. Turned off the car, plugged it back in and now my SES light is on (solid, not blinking). Looked up the SES being on at a solid state, and the manual "should turn off after a few driving trips."

Anyone had this happen to them? Or have the SES light go off by itself? I'm trying to figure out how many "a few driving trips" I should take before taking it to the dealer. Thanks for the help.

BTW - I have the manual in softcopy if anyone is interested. Its over 4MB, so I'd have to share it somewhere.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by lclrod
So heres my story about changing out the air filter.

Read manual, learned how to change it out, loosen screw, undo clip, unplug electric connector.

Simple enough right? Since it was snowing, I was in a hurry to get this done. And like I said, since I was in a hurry I forget to replug in the electric connector. Started the car and the SES light and another light (VDC?) came on. Immedietly I remember not plugging in the electric connector. Turned off the car, plugged it back in and now my SES light is on (solid, not blinking). Looked up the SES being on at a solid state, and the manual "should turn off after a few driving trips."

Anyone had this happen to them? Or have the SES light go off by itself? I'm trying to figure out how many "a few driving trips" I should take before taking it to the dealer. Thanks for the help.

BTW - I have the manual in softcopy if anyone is interested. Its over 4MB, so I'd have to share it somewhere.
what in the hell did you unscrew?? I never had to unscrew anything??? Just popped about 2-4 clips, lifted up, removed old, and installed new(K&N-Best), closed clamps, DONE....
Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Loosen screw, not unscrew.

Unplug electric connector, right next to loosened screw.

Yes, went with K&N.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:48 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Try disconnecting the negative terminal on the baterry for I want to say 30 mins. could be less. When you plug it back up the car will check itself and should realizee the problem is gone. If I'm wrong guys please don't flame on me. When that light comes on especially at night it could get annoying. Driving it for a few trips might work also. I just don't want my car trying to adjust itself for something it thinks is wrong. Hope it helps let us know if the light goes off for either method you choose.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
ok, maybe you can't "search", but you can open your MANUAL right? and if you read each STICKY you can find even more resources like how You can search.

Now I don't recall only undoing the 2 clips, but you can try it. Like Hz said, electric connector can stay attached. But I loosened the 1. Screw.
Nismo, that is cold! I, too am new to this forum thing and still learning answers to some of my questions (and proper forum ettiquette)! I have also struggled with the search option! When we newbies (New to being DIY's)have issues, we ask those of you who have been through this so we don't make a foolish mistake! I agree that I would have checked my manual or asked a neighbor who is very good and working on things like this. Just feeling for the other member
Old 02-12-2006, 06:30 AM

If you guys with stock intakes are unscrewing or unplugging anything, you're doing more than you need to.

Pop the two clips and tug the cover up and toward you (toward the driver's side fender). Note that the tabs on the engine side of the cover must go back in the little plastic retainer hoops for it to seat properly. You'll be able to see how it all works when you remove the cover.

But don't loosen any screws or take any electrical connectors off!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
If you guys with stock intakes are unscrewing or unplugging anything, you're doing more than you need to.

Pop the two clips and tug the cover up and toward you (toward the driver's side fender). Note that the tabs on the engine side of the cover must go back in the little plastic retainer hoops for it to seat properly. You'll be able to see how it all works when you remove the cover.

But don't loosen any screws or take any electrical connectors off!
Just following instructions:

In my defense, it never says plug back in when your finished, lol. Everything is running fine though. I'll give it until Monday then I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 AM
SuPeRmOd

But everyone told you not to disconnect any wires

Look in the Stickies and you will find out how to rest the SEL.
Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Nismo, that is cold! I,
you're crying?? It is explained to everyone that SEARCH is for donating members. Yet I have listed in the STICKY how to search even if you do not want to support the site and only find answers. Many of us have spent a lot of time creating STICKY(s) as a huge resource. Yet many come on here like it's a Nissan site purely to answer your questions. No one is paid here.

So you think I'm cold? Ok let's not do any work for ourselves and ask every question over and over especially the ones in our manuals. Then those that do search for themselves get 1000 thread returns as a result.

He seemed to not have any problem with my reply. I'm not here to make you feel all rosy and warm. I didn't call anyone names or "flame" them.

If someone doesn't read the rules and try to do some of their own leg work, I will say something. And if you don't like my way of typing, ignore me.

Or you can not take things personal like you seem to do.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:32 AM

But everyone told you not to disconnect any wires
Because I read the manual first. I posted here after the fact. Was I suppose to come in the house and search through the org or just read the manual in the glove compartment?

Common sense does dictate reading the manual before asking here.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Be careful with the two plastic tabs

I knew exactly what I was doing and was taking my time to remove the top cover. But it wasnot very easy to slide the tabs out of the locks. Nothing was wrong at the times, but later on I found out a missing tab (must broken off later). I've only taken the cover off three times (to check or clean the K&N). Man I kinda miss the normal 4 metal clips setup, much easier. What are the engineers thinking ?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I dunno about ya'll, but I still find changing my filter easy as pie to do, no engine light when I do it..
Old 02-12-2006, 04:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lclrod
Because I read the manual first. I posted here after the fact. Was I suppose to come in the house and search through the org or just read the manual in the glove compartment?
Common sense does dictate reading the manual before asking here.
you're right, I thought you were the original poster for some reason. so you see my confusion thinking you asked, we told, then you red the manual and remove the wire....

let us know if the Sticky SEL reset works for you.

Who knows why Nissan has us dissconnect the wires I guarantee you the dealer doesn't.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 PM

Well the Sticky SEL reset did NOT work for me. Tried it various ways and nothing. (Anyone have success doing the reset?) Took it to Nissan today and they wanted to charge me $88 for "computer time". Told them there is no way I'm paying that for them to reset the damn light, especially since both the manual and one of the technichans said the light would go off eventually. So I'll live with the light on for " a few trips." At which point if it does not turn off then I'll pay the dam $88 bucks.

Also got some more info on the lumbar recall, will post that in the proper thread.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM

I went with the K&N Filter and did not notice much in performance. The engine does sound a little meaner with it though.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Light turned off by itself this afternoon. Whoop Whoop. Saved me $88. Thanks for hearing my rant.