6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Any more news on '07 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 PM

From Edmund's Inside Line today:

Striptease: Nissan Readies 2007 Altima for NY Debut With Sneak PeekDate posted: 03-28-2006

GARDENA, Calif. — Nissan has released a teaser photo — just a peek at the new taillight — of its 2007 Altima, ahead of the midsize sedan's global unveiling at the New York International Auto Show in April.

The new Altima builds on the company's all-new "D" platform with improved body rigidity and a redesigned suspension. Nissan said the Altima will have an optional CVT transmission and a choice of a 3.5-liter V6 or 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engines.

The Japanese automaker will also unveil its redesigned flagship Maxima in New York. The Maxima features a redesigned exterior with a new front grille and revised hood, headlights, front and rear bumpers, side sills and wheels, along with a new interior and revised instrument panel. The company said its Xtronic CVT transmission is now standard on all models.

What this means to you: Hard to get worked up about a taillight, but it is an intriguing little nugget. Can it compete with the Accord and Camry redesigns?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109787
It looks like the CVT will be standard, but I am guessing that a 6spd will still be available.

Keep in mind that Nissan is an automaker that truly believes in the Driver. I think that is partly why we all like the brand. They understanding that shifting (i.e. SHIFT_) is part of the expeirence so I wouldn't worry about the trans. options too much.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

actually the i was talking with the owner of my dealership, is like familiy to me so he isnt going to lie for kicks...did tell me after coming back from japan and personally meeting with carlos ghosn ( which im not sure if he actually told him this) but in 08 an AWD maxima will be available and probably around 300 hp. As far as V8 and RWD i never heard of this one before....im also not sure if im mistaken but he may have possibly said it will get the 4.0 as opposed to the 3.5 but I might be wrong on that part.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:01 PM

We should keep in mind that many folks supposedly knowlegable in the energy area say gasoline will be above $3 a gallon in the near future, possibly as early as this summer, and will probably stay there this time.

That sounds bad, but the reality is, when the increase in cost of living is factored in, gasoline has been more expensive that that several times in the past.

The 'late unpleasantness' (term coined by the Southern gentility in the 1870s referring to the Civil War) with several of the countries that are large petroleum producers has a large portion of the American public thinking about fuel economy. As a result, we are seeing many folks who did not really need the room and bulk switching from the wasteful behemoth SUVs to smaller vehicles. Often, that smaller vehicle is a sedan.

As a result, automakers have greatly increased their efforts at making better sedans the last year or so.

I feel the result of the aforementioned factors is that we will not be seeing an 8 cylinder Maxima in the near future. I also feel Nissan will restrict RWD to its Infiniti sedans for awhile longer. There are already many upscale RWD sedans with more power than the Maxima. Most of the well-built and desirable sedans in that category cost considerably more than the Maxima.

Nissan must keep the Maxima affordable to the middle class. The upper crust goes for Infinity, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, etc, etc. The Maxima must be able to undersell all those with room to spare.

I would guess the chances may be about 50-50 as to whether we would get an AWD option on the 7th generation Maxima. At any rate, the front and rear changes and redesigned interior of the '07 Maxima would not have been made for one model year, so that assures us that we will not see the 7th gen before spring or summer of '08 as an '09 year model.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Striptease: Nissan Readies 2007 Altima for NY Debut With Sneak PeekDate posted: 03-28-2006

GARDENA, Calif. — Nissan has released a teaser photo — just a peek at the new taillight — of its 2007 Altima, ahead of the midsize sedan's global unveiling at the New York International Auto Show in April.

The new Altima builds on the company's all-new "D" platform with improved body rigidity and a redesigned suspension. Nissan said the Altima will have an optional CVT transmission and a choice of a 3.5-liter V6 or 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engines.

The Japanese automaker will also unveil its redesigned flagship Maxima in New York. The Maxima features a redesigned exterior with a new front grille and revised hood, headlights, front and rear bumpers, side sills and wheels, along with a new interior and revised instrument panel. The company said its Xtronic CVT transmission is now standard on all models.

What this means to you: Hard to get worked up about a taillight, but it is an intriguing little nugget. Can it compete with the Accord and Camry redesigns?
Well, let's figure out what this means ...

" ... unveil its redesigned flagship Maxima in New York." I have to assume this means the '09 Maxima that will debut in the fall of '08. NOT the '07 Maxima.

"The company said its Xtronic CVT transmission is now standard on all models. I further assume that this means that while the CVT will be standard, a conventional automatic transmission will be an option.

I make this last assumption because Nissan would be taking a HUGE gamble if the CVT were the only offering in its "flagshio sedan". There are too may people who are not sold on the CVT to make it an all-or-nothing choice. GM blew it with their CVT in the Saturn and Opel due to reliability problems, and Ford has found that CVT's in their Focus, Freestyle and Five Hundred haven't exactly caught on like wildfire. So to put all its eggs in one basket like that is very un-Ghosn-like IMO.

So I'm betting that if this is right, and I'm not yet convinced it is, what we'll see is a CVT "standard" in its entry-level cars (the new Sentra replacement, for example) as well as the rest of the line, but with a "regular" AT as an option. And unless CVT's really, really catch on in the next 24 months, expect to see about 85% of Nissans vehicles sold with "regular" AT's.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Well, let's figure out what this means ...

"The company said its Xtronic CVT transmission is now standard on all models. I further assume that this means that while the CVT will be standard, a conventional automatic transmission will be an option.

I make this last assumption because Nissan would be taking a HUGE gamble if the CVT were the only offering in its "flagship sedan". There are too may people who are not sold on the CVT to make it an all-or-nothing choice. . . . And unless CVT's really, really catch on in the next 24 months, expect to see about 85% of Nissans vehicles sold with "regular" AT's.
SHIFT. Why would a company with this "motto" not also have a manual trannie as an option. If the manual trannie goes out of the Maxima lineup, so do I when it comes time to buy another car. I will find a company that still offers this trannie option. (Cadillac even offers it on a few of their sportier cars.)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:32 PM

" ... unveil its redesigned flagship Maxima in New York." I have to assume this means the '09 Maxima that will debut in the fall of '08. NOT the '07 Maxima.
I disagree. Nissan keeps such a tight lid on projects until they are ready to publicly launch them (like the Altima nobody has seen until now, and only a taillight at that, 2 weeks before its public debut). So why would Nissan unviel its 'next gen' per se Maxima when it didn't plan to release it until 2008-09-ish? I am betting this is only the Maxima update we have seen in spyshot photos previously in this thread.

Now about CVT: It's coming. You can bet CVT will be in all Nissan sedans by 2009. Whether that's standard or an option I am unsure. However, with cars like the Maxima and Altima, I think its safe to say that a 6spd Manual will very likely be available due to thier sports-sedan nature in the SE/SE-R models.

But I guess only time will tell on all of this.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:57 PM

I didn't mean to suggest that a manual trans was out the door ... I was only talking about the "automatic" transmission options. I'm pretty sure they'll offer a manual.

And as for the '07 or '09 issue, I suspect the one they're showing is an advanced concept (which means it is pretty close to production-ready). They may be wanting to jin up interest like they did with that goofy little 3-seater sports car. But in any case, I take "redesigned exterior" to mean a whole new model, which won't come until the '09 model year. It *could* be that Edmund's is just using terms that mean one thing to them and another to me!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM

yea my guess is as well that maximas that debuting at the auto show is going to be the 07...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didn't mean to suggest that a manual trans was out the door ... I was only talking about the "automatic" transmission options. I'm pretty sure they'll offer a manual.

And as for the '07 or '09 issue, I suspect the one they're showing is an advanced concept (which means it is pretty close to production-ready). They may be wanting to jin up interest like they did with that goofy little 3-seater sports car. But in any case, I take "redesigned exterior" to mean a whole new model, which won't come until the '09 model year. It *could* be that Edmund's is just using terms that mean one thing to them and another to me!

All you people need to do is STOP guessing and go look on www.nissannews.com

They state that the new G35 SEDAN, not the coupe will be introduced at 12:05 PM April 12th, 2006, followed by the All-New 2007 Altima and new 2007 Maxima at 12:15 PM on April 12, 2006. No mention of the "infamous" Altima coupe I've been hearing about, but Nissan is known for surprises...maybe the Altima coupe will debut with the Infiniti G35 coupe next year?

Don't you think it would be STUPID to introduce a concept car before the facelifted version of the current model is released? That's not very smart IMO.

The next Maxima will not be out until MY2009...forget a concept...you ain't seeing that for at least another year.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 PM

The changes listed for the 'redesigned flagship' mentioned in the Nissan announcement describe exactly the changes that were visible in the spy photos of the '07 Maxima posted here last month.

No huge changes (except the dash layout and interior appointments), but a nicer (and toothless) front grille (which somehow made me think of the TL grille), a slight resculpting of the front and rear bumpers, a minor 'rewrinkle' of the hood, and a reworking of the side sills.

At first glance, especially from the side or rear, the '07 will look very similar to the '04-'06 Maxima. The only change I saw on the rear in the spy photos was a new horizontal crease in the rear bumper, and the removal of the lowest portion of the middle section of the bumper, reducing its 'bulky' appearance. I feel the reworked grille and general front appearance of the '07 will be considered an improvement by almost every member of Maxima.org.

There is no way Nissan will be showing anything to do with the 7th gen Maxima in the near future. I suspect the first legit spy photos are still around twenty months away. I predict the first official photo of the 7th gen Maxima will not be released by Nissan before January 2008, give or take a month.

I look forward to seeing clear detailed photos of the '07 Maxima in just two weeks!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Newbie just Registered

"Redesigned" is update of current model. "All New" is complete new model generation.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rlaltiowner05
All you people need to do is STOP guessing and go look on www.nissannews.com

They state that the new G35 SEDAN, not the coupe will be introduced at 12:05 PM April 12th, 2006, followed by the All-New 2007 Altima and new 2007 Maxima at 12:15 PM on April 12, 2006.
Well, there you go.

Don't you think it would be STUPID to introduce a concept car before the facelifted version of the current model is released? That's not very smart IMO.
Not stupid at all, and in fact it's done every year. The cars you see new in 2006 were designed and pretty much finalized in 2003 or 2004. Car companies always show "concepts" at car shows around the world, and they do it for several reasons ... one is to gauge interest in the design changes, and another is to generate interest in future models.

Go to any car show and tell me you don't see concepts a couple of years before the real car comes out.

The next Maxima will not be out until MY2009...forget a concept...you ain't seeing that for at least another year.
Maybe ... maybe not. But I agree the next "redesign" is MY2009.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:08 PM

Concepts and design ideas are often shown at car shows, but, in this case, the changes listed for the Maxima describe exaxctly the changes we saw in the spy photos of the 2007 Maxima that were posted here a month or so ago.

I personally think they are positive changes, especially the new grille, and, although rather subtle in nature, will make the '07 and '08 Maximas a more attractive and desirable vehicle than the '04 thru '06s.

Manufacturers of 'imported' brand vehicles (even ones assembled in the US) use concepts more in the new vehicle area than as the next generation of existing vehicles.

I would love to see a concept vehicle giving us a hint of what Nissan may be thinking in terms of the 7th generation Maxima, but Nissan has always been extremely close-mouthed about future Maxima designs, and I would be very shocked to see a 'concept' for the 7th gen Maxima.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 AM

Here is another pick. M35/M45 like.

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.js...29976&tstart=0
Old 04-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 95Max
Here is another pick. M35/M45 like.

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.js...29976&tstart=0
That a bad chopped job. Besides, the '07 will have different grille.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, there you go.

Not stupid at all, and in fact it's done every year. The cars you see new in 2006 were designed and pretty much finalized in 2003 or 2004. Car companies always show "concepts" at car shows around the world, and they do it for several reasons ... one is to gauge interest in the design changes, and another is to generate interest in future models.

Go to any car show and tell me you don't see concepts a couple of years before the real car comes out.

Maybe ... maybe not. But I agree the next "redesign" is MY2009.
I doubtful that the new generation Maxima would be shown before a facelifted version of the car is to be produced...especially when there is so much hype behind this facelifted Maxima coming up. Still wouldn't make a lot of sense to see a "Concept" Maxima before the facelifted one comes around. Now Next year is a different story though...

Actually, here lately, Toyota claims it only takes them 18 months to fully design a vehicle...the Avalon and Solara but were done within 18 months time...I sure it might take car companies maybe two years to design and finalize everything.

But you have a point..concepts for cars like the M and FX were out years before they hit dealerships..but then again the FX was an all new concept for Infiniti.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 PM

the all new maxima is going to be for sale in 2008.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by logik05se
the all new maxima is going to be for sale in 2008.
Yep, that's what we've all been saying ... intro in 2008 as a 2009 model. May be an early intro (May, probably), so expect the 2009 Maxima in early 2008.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just took a look at the new sentra and it truly looks like the spy shot maxima but mini me sized. And in the inside i think we can expect many of the upgrades to be included in the 6.5 gen most def the steering wheel new key fob, cup holder area, aux for the ipod, and updated blue tooth. The rest seems too cheap for the max but prob will look the same as the altima. I also noticed the pillars got some fabric on them and should be in the max too. Just my take and what we can expect.
Guess we Will all find out on the 14th.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm in the market for a new Maxima and I too am anxiously awaiting the April 12th event to see if the new upgrades will be worth waiting for...I hope Nissan steps it up a little on their flagship sedan.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:08 AM

cvt def will make the car NOT worth the wait.