6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Paint Issue

Has anyone had experience with paint bubbling. I've got a small bubble near the leading edge of the hood on the passengers side. Obviously its rusting underneath and will eventually rot through.

Since there are no chips in the area I believe it should be a warranty issue. Is there any rule of thumb for how large it has to be before Nissan will warranty it? And in this area would they replace the hood or just grind it down, fill and repaint?

CM
Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 AM
.org extraordinaire

Aluminium

Uhmm our hoods are aluminium. I never ever heard of that rusting, but just in case I got mine RustChecked.

Good Luck,

Kam
Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

Interesting. Even if it someone did, dealer would only grind and repaint. Wouldn't hurt for them to check it out. Even if you get it repainted, you'll be better off since it chips so easily. Try to get some flex added and more clear if possible.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:38 AM

The paint on my 2005 is great.Is your car still under warrenty?coobie
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 AM

Seriously?? The hood is aluminum.

CM
Old 02-14-2006, 06:09 AM

When I had paint issues with my last Nissan, they told me that it will only aquire surface rust and not actually rot all the way through! They warranty against complete rot and perforation, now I see why that is easy for them. I also believe that your paint warranty is good for 60k miles.....take her in I say! Get 'em ****
Old 02-14-2006, 06:54 AM

Yes it's still under the bumper to bumper 60,000km warranty. I've also got the ESP Warranty to extend the bumper to bumper to 100,000km.

It's a PITA to get it to the dealership. The closest one is 2.5hrs away so I have to take a day off work to drive down there and have it "inspected". Along with the chrome strip on the roof peeling, and the OEM grill that has peeling clear coat. Grrrr...and I take such good care of my car. Thats the kicker.

CM.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
.org extraordinaire

it sure is

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo

CM
Try a magnet to see if u can stick it on. I didnt believe it until i started looking for the info. I think u might have just gotten an air bubble during painting. Since you live in the great north Coldanda like me, i can see the paint blistering when it gets really cold and then you crank her up and the hood gets really warm. Possible metal expansion.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 02-14-2006, 01:38 PM

My body shop guy says that he sees this often even on aluminum body panels. There can be corrosion, like rust, on aluminum parts. And here I thought that if I
bought an Audi A8 I wouldn't have to worry about rust ever.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Well, even if you didnt have to worry about rust ever on an A8...you might worry about the price of it.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you buy collision does that canceal the warranty
Old 03-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

CM
Hood, trunk, and parts of subframe. I think rust protection is 7 years and unlimited miles. It could be paint issue.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I believe the corrosion warranty is good for 5k and unlimited mileage. I just checked and rust/corrosion (perforation) is covered for the 5 year unlimited mileage.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 PM

Not to hijack this thread but the paint on the lip of my front bumper is peeling and I myself was wondering if it would be covered under warranty. It's an '05 with 18k miles
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by rtuimauga
Not to hijack this thread but the paint on the lip of my front bumper is peeling and I myself was wondering if it would be covered under warranty. It's an '05 with 18k miles
Highly unlikely, unless you bought paint protection plan.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

quick question... whats the deal with the pic of your tire/rim in the first thread? did i miss something... i am tired so i must have?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 AM

lol changed images on the cardomain page so it came up wrong
Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Not to be a complanier but,I was looking at my max today after reading your paint issues and noticed that inside my rear doors both have rust spots the size of a dime on both rear corners down towards the mud flaps,my 2005 has only 8,500 miles on it.Guys to tell you truth I always wanted a max for many years, and this is my first.This one so far has me a little worried.Problems so far,rotten egg smell,white smoke at full throttle,crome flaking off front grill.I expect this from the big three but not from nissans flagship car.I will see how it goes after a trip back to the dealer this week,maybe a new lexus is in my near future.coobie
Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 AM

My trip to the dealer was good. They've agreed to repain the entire hood! Getting rid of all the rock chips. Also they've agreed that the OEM grill clearcoat is garbage and will provide a complete new grill. And they're replacing the chrome strip that is peeling. I offered to throw in some cash for them to repaint the front bumper while they have it in the shop too. Going to get the lower grill painted too, so it doesn't stand out against the rest of the silver.

CM.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Newbie just Registered

My trip to the dealer was good. They've agreed to repain the entire hood! Getting rid of all the rock chips. Also they've agreed that the OEM grill clearcoat is garbage and will provide a complete new grill. And they're replacing the chrome strip that is peeling. I offered to throw in some cash for them to repaint the front bumper while they have it in the shop too. Going to get the lower grill painted too, so it doesn't stand out against the rest of the silver.

CM.

Hmmm... I like Canadien's stealership better...
Old 03-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Has anyone had experience with paint bubbling. I've got a small bubble near the leading edge of the hood on the passengers side. Obviously its rusting underneath and will eventually rot through.

Since there are no chips in the area I believe it should be a warranty issue. Is there any rule of thumb for how large it has to be before Nissan will warranty it? And in this area would they replace the hood or just grind it down, fill and repaint?

CM
I had a pretty serious ding just above my head light that chipped off the paint and exposed the material underneath. It was a brown/rusty color and so it concerned me that it was starting to rust. I took it to the dealship's autobody shop to see what they thought about it (if it was rusting, estimate of how much it would take it get it fixed, etc), and they told me that it wasn't rusting... but that it was a tough primer of sorts to help it keep from rusting. I thought it was odd, but the chip wasn't that old so I didn't think that rust could develop that quickly.

They recommended that I just use some touch up paint and all would be fine, so that's what I did.

Nice to see that you got a good resolution from your dealership though - I thought that the paint warranty was only for 1 year/12K miles.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 AM

I have a case of the clearcoat peeling off the center grill tooth. It's peeling off in big sheets. At first I tought it was some kind of protective film they forgot to take off. I stopped by the dealer and they said they would replace the grill. Taking it in later in the week to have it done. Mines an 05 w/ 13k.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:33 AM

Mine started from the Nissan emblem at the center. I guess thats where the emblem fits into the grill. Makes sense that there would be a way for water to penetrate the clear coat at that point as it probably rubs a bit around there.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:06 AM

I talked to the nissan field rep today,they have to paint both inside rear doors and fix the rust spots,about the size of a dime on both sides in the exact same spot.The rep told me he does not know why the both rusted there as the car has only 8,500 mile on it.There are also going to replace the front grill due to the fake metal flakeing off.coobie
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 AM

Well, they replaced the grill yesterday under warranty but when they took it off they found the 2 retaining holes in the center of the bumper cover completely missing and the one on the drivers side cracked in half. The grill stays on OK but there is a lot of flex in the center of the grill. They said the only way to fix it was to replace the bumper cover which they wouldn't cover under the warranty. They said it looked like it had been broken a while ( it this case I have to agree w/ them). I guess I'll just look at it and find a way to fasten the center down to the cover. Can't be too tough.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Originally Posted by RichA
I have a case of the clearcoat peeling off the center grill tooth. It's peeling off in big sheets. At first I tought it was some kind of protective film they forgot to take off. I stopped by the dealer and they said they would replace the grill. Taking it in later in the week to have it done. Mines an 05 w/ 13k.
Mine started (grill) to peel off. It seems like plastic film or something. I just peeled it off very carefully now it looks like a chrome big nose.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 AM

If mine starts to do it again I might just do the same thing.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Mine just started doing it. I'm taking her in next week.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by coobie
I talked to the nissan field rep today,they have to paint both inside rear doors and fix the rust spots,about the size of a dime on both sides in the exact same spot.The rep told me he does not know why the both rusted there as the car has only 8,500 mile on it.There are also going to replace the front grill due to the fake metal flakeing off.coobie
Follow up to this post car goes in april 1 to gets inside rear door jams at bottom painted.Kind of pissed,they give you a dislamier from body shop that tells you rust will come back.I can tell you NISSIAN service SUCKS.The dealer and factory rep. are a joke to deal with.I like the engine in the car being my first,but want to add it will be my last Maxima because of paint issues,grill flaking,sub frame rust threw,seat wire harness recall,white exhaust smoke and smell and dealer service.For a car costing $30,000 grand I expected a little more from Nissan.I was sadley mistaken.coobie
Old 03-18-2006, 08:03 PM

Both the trunk lid and hood are aluminum. Aluminum can not rust. It doesn't contian the iron ore elements that create oxidation rust. Aluminum can oxidize in a different way. This oxidization can create a "bubble" or release of the paint bond if there was a chip or break in the paint surface.

As far as rust goes, Nissan has a long history of building their US made cars w/ substandard sheet metal. Just take a look at the fender wells and rocker panels of most 80's and 90's era Sentra's, Altima's, Maxima's, hardbody trucks, etc.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:38 PM
wsu

body repairs

I hit a deer last fall with my Maxima and had to have major body work done (approx 11K in parts and labor). I have noticed that the new paint chips more easily than the original paint. There are a few small chipped spots where I can see the gray primer on the leading edge of the hood.

Does anyone know if this situation is normal in that the body shop paint job is not up to the same level as the original?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by kdejour
Mine started (grill) to peel off. It seems like plastic film or something. I just peeled it off very carefully now it looks like a chrome big nose.
Half of mine peeled off by itself. I think I'm going to take it off as well. Any tricks??
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM

Took mine in for the peeling grill issue. Dealer replaced it, no questions asked. I was very pleased to say the least.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM

I just went through this exact problem. I had rust forming on the top of my car near the skyview. Since I was over my 3 year 36K warranty IT WAS NOT COVERED. I showed them how I had the extended warranty and IT STILL WAS NOT COVERED. I called Big Nissan and spoke to them and they said nothing covers rust. The corrosion warranty is for perforation. I went round and round with them about this. After everything, my dealer wrote it off as customer service. I definitely had rust and they would have charged me if I hadn't got into their butts.