6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

C/E Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
I am ordering me one now (Y pipe). Does anyone know if it will fail you on the emissions test that has one that went through inspection?
no, cause the headers still have two cats on them... you are ok..
Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 PM

If I did the y-pipe. would I replace it if I did a whole new exhaust in the future?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:00 PM

If you bout headers then yes, because headers come with a new y-pipe...but if u just get cat back then no u will not replace the y-pipe
Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 AM

y-pipe exhaust, neither is gonna make your car faster, the ecu is all f'ed up in the max. Unless you plan on remapping then the intake and exhaust are just for sound. Hate to break your heart, but this is truth, you are getting ripped off!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by every1hasAIDS
y-pipe exhaust, neither is gonna make your car faster, the ecu is all f'ed up in the max. Unless you plan on remapping then the intake and exhaust are just for sound. Hate to break your heart, but this is truth, you are getting ripped off!
What do you base your statement on?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
What do you base your statement on?
Good question.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM

i hate to say it but i agree that you probably will not even notice a difference, unless you have the ability to tune your afr. then you will notice a little somthing.

please, someone come out with some headers already...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 PM

my basis is the mods i've done to the 1/4 times i've gotten. The only thing I can say is those mods have made my car slower in the 1/4 mile. All the y-pipe did was cost me 300+ and slowed me down about .5 of a second.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM

my basis is the mods i've done to the 1/4 times i've gotten. The only thing I can say is those mods have made my car slower in the 1/4 mile. All the y-pipe did was cost me 300+ and slowed me down about .5 of a second.
Il agree with you there, I ran my best time stock. What are the times that you have run? I think theres going to be more gains seen once we combine these mods with headers once they are avail.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:45 PM

Was everything else the same as far as the days you ran the car in 1/4? Temps, humidity, d/a, etc? I would think that the dyno is a good tool also...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM

well greg, u seem side tracked. U really think your right, trying to doubt my info. Sorry you had your mind so set on getting the y-pipe. I was just letting you know its not worth the money unless you remapp the ecu. Cause a y-pipe gave gains to other gen maxs isn't doesn't fall true for the 3.5 engine. Doubt me, go ahead, but then again its your money, so do what you want, you wanted advice but you couldn't bear to hear that its not worth it and won't make your car any faster. but who knows maybe your nieve or have aids
Old 04-11-2006, 02:58 PM

^^^^^^^wtf? this info could have been more useful b4 i bought my y-pipe yesterday! but it was only 199 shipped from group buy...and your saying there is no power gain what-so ever? what about the other ppl that say that they feel gains........?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM

The dyno shows some gain does it not?

I've heard the ECU "tunes" back argument way to much considering some of these things shows a some gain (even if it is marginal) on the dyno.

Bottom line, the guys with more mods are the ones typically dynoing higher. Comparing one track day to the next is a crap shoot. No chance in hell putting on a less restrictuve Y pipe would slow your car down 0.5. There are other factors at work.

I've ran 0.5 difference on the same day with the same car.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 PM

well greg, u seem side tracked. U really think your right, trying to doubt my info. Sorry you had your mind so set on getting the y-pipe. I was just letting you know its not worth the money unless you remapp the ecu. Cause a y-pipe gave gains to other gen maxs isn't doesn't fall true for the 3.5 engine. Doubt me, go ahead, but then again its your money, so do what you want, you wanted advice but you couldn't bear to hear that its not worth it and won't make your car any faster. but who knows maybe your nieve or have aids
Whoa! First of all learn spelling/grammar and then we can talk. I asked questions that people that race ask-what were the track conditions, atmospherics, etc all things that need to be taken into account when you make a very specific statement like you did. Grow up and we can have an adult conversation, otherwise troll on.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cwepruk
The dyno shows some gain does it not?

I've heard the ECU "tunes" back argument way to much considering some of these things shows a some gain (even if it is marginal) on the dyno.

Bottom line, the guys with more mods are the ones typically dynoing higher. Comparing one track day to the next is a crap shoot. No chance in hell putting on a less restrictuve Y pipe would slow your car down 0.5. There are other factors at work.

I've ran 0.5 difference on the same day with the same car.
Thanks for adding a constructive post to the thread. I agree-one piece may or may not make a huge difference but the easier air/fuel can get in and out the more efficient the engine works. Combining the Y pipe with a cat back and intake should make all the pieces work well together but then again maybe I am just nieve or have aids.....
Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM

i canceled my order i waited 3 weeks for the fcckn "boxes" for the ce y-pipe and i said screw it
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

honestly greg is not too far off in what he says......me and a friend of mine always mess aroudn with our cars...he has on 05 accord v6 auto, and i have 05 max auto...i used to really demolish his car bad from a stop with a berk intake, ce ypipe, and straight pipe in place of resonator....then i added greddy mufflers to my setup and it seemed slow as fk...when i raced him again from the stop his car pulled on me which he never ever did....so i spoke to some mechanics at nissan and even called up magnaflow asking them if theres something i could purchase to fix this(because i really like the mufflers) and the guys told me to put the stock y pipe back on because of the cat, due to our engines requiring some back pressure. I did what they said and immediatly felt the car performed better...raced the accord again and beat him.

now i dont know if this only pertains to my particular setup because the way i did things piece by piece...but 100% the y pipe slowed me down.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by logik05se
honestly greg is not too far off in what he says......me and a friend of mine always mess aroudn with our cars...he has on 05 accord v6 auto, and i have 05 max auto...i used to really demolish his car bad from a stop with a berk intake, ce ypipe, and straight pipe in place of resonator....then i added greddy mufflers to my setup and it seemed slow as fk...when i raced him again from the stop his car pulled on me which he never ever did....so i spoke to some mechanics at nissan and even called up magnaflow asking them if theres something i could purchase to fix this(because i really like the mufflers) and the guys told me to put the stock y pipe back on because of the cat, due to our engines requiring some back pressure. I did what they said and immediatly felt the car performed better...raced the accord again and beat him.

now i dont know if this only pertains to my particular setup because the way i did things piece by piece...but 100% the y pipe slowed me down.
correct me if i'm wrong, but you said that after you put on the mufflers it felt slower......so b4 the mufflers it was quicker? and if u had a resonator instead of the straight pipe but still had mufflers, y-pipe, and intake then itd b faster.......basically what im asking/saying is that it's kind of a "pick and choose, or a matching" type if thing....if you understadn what i'm trying to say. pair A with B and its good, but pair C with A and your screwed, or other possibilites as well...can this be why there are so many disputes on the gains of a y-pipe; because ppl have different things "paired" with it?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
correct me if i'm wrong, but you said that after you put on the mufflers it felt slower......so b4 the mufflers it was quicker? and if u had a resonator instead of the straight pipe but still had mufflers, y-pipe, and intake then itd b faster.......basically what im asking/saying is that it's kind of a "pick and choose, or a matching" type if thing....if you understadn what i'm trying to say. pair A with B and its good, but pair C with A and your screwed, or other possibilites as well...can this be why there are so many disputes on the gains of a y-pipe; because ppl have different things "paired" with it?
Nissan ECU's really don't like mods. Check out other Nissan/Infiniti forums about the VQ35. You can lose power w/ some combination of mods.

I ordered a y-pipe too, and just got my ECU done. I'm going to wait until next week to get my car dynoed again. With this combo, I SHOULD gain 15WHP from my previous dyno. If I don't get the y-pipe by next week I'll dyno w/o and just see the ECU only.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 AM

I am not doubting there may be some truth to what has been said, it was all in the delivery. To state that mods made somene slower and then become saracastic when asked in what I thought was a polite, non hostile way for info to back up the claim and then to be insulted or treated like a child irked me.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
f....k when Cattman goona make those headers with catback ?

Come on Brian!!! Let get this going.

I want I want.

Kam
Mr. CATTS any word?

Kam
Old 04-12-2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
I am not doubting there may be some truth to what has been said, it was all in the delivery. To state that mods made somene slower and then become saracastic when asked in what I thought was a polite, non hostile way for info to back up the claim and then to be insulted or treated like a child irked me.

Says your 36, that sucks, cause you have the least amount of knowledge for your age, you tool. When i'm your age, i hope to god i'm not as dim witted as you. Later
Old 04-12-2006, 06:22 AM
.org extraordinaire

Says your 36, that sucks, cause you have the least amount of knowledge for your age, you tool. When i'm your age, i hope to god i'm not as dim witted as you. Later
Listen HIV TARD, go back to your Nintendo and stop pretending you know anything about cars. Going to auto shop class in Grade 10 doesn’t make you an expert. And yes, he was right about your delivery, I concluded it was made by some daft and very dense individual with a total disregard and respect for others. As I see in your above statement you proved my theory true. Children as your self should not be in vehicles, if your attitude is so benevolent towards others on the forum I can only imagine what it must be to other on the road.

Please stick to your forums and not interfere in ours, no matter how much experience one may have, their attitude will determine the effect of their opinions.

Kam
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Not for rookies!!

Can a mod please ban this fool?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:33 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by UnMaTcHeD
Can a mod please ban this fool?
I fully concur. Where did this guy come from?

Kam
Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
yea what your saying is pretty much what im thinking, like maybe either exhuast or y pipe...but not both....tell you the truth though when i had my setup before i put the exhuast on...it still didnt have that low end jump that stock maximas have, because i drive them all day at my job....though even now that i have the mufflers and no y pipe it still doesnt have that feeling. But my car is deffinatly quicker then a stock maxima....unless the sound just makes it feel that way.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 AM

i've been watching these threads and i've concluded most are clueless but thats what forums are for, to ask questions and debate on the most logical answer. Sorry if i'm making your life's interesting. Cause you guys are getting hard-ons to reply to my comments. Just trying to spice up the forum. But my knowledge comes from experience, not bullsh*t. Honestly, some already can't wait to see what i post next. And my forum name, just awesome, catch's all youz off guard
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Newbie just Registered

i've been watching these threads and i've concluded most are clueless but thats what forums are for, to ask questions and debate on the most logical answer. Sorry if i'm making your life's interesting. Cause you guys are getting hard-ons to reply to my comments. Just trying to spice up the forum. But my knowledge comes from experience, not bullsh*t. Honestly, some already can't wait to see what i post next. And my forum name, just awesome, catch's all youz off guard
Some of the information you have "contributed" so far are your opinion. Plus your "just awesome" name is offensive to others. But the nice thing about the org is that even fools are welcome.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM

I would love to continue with the verbal warfare but it is unfair when dealing with an unarmed opponent.

Therefore, unless there is some substance to what you have to see please refrain from commenting. If the words I am using are above you comprehension level I suggest a dictionary.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Not for rookies!!

If you really wanted to educate others about your so called knowledge, then why not just do that? There is no need for any name calling or otherwise trying to put down another orger. You are obviously someone who craves attention, I‘ve seen your type come and go on many a forum. Everything about you screams “HEY LOOK AT ME”, enjoy your time here…that is until you get banned for you juvenile comments.